2011-10-28 21:26:48

Hey guys,
I was brouzing the web yesterday because I need some sterrio mikraphones for when I go to Sypras next month. I found something on sound professionals about something called binaural micraphones. I was wondering if anyone has these and what they're like? Are there any others that you'd recomend?

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2011-10-28 21:32:12

Hi,

There are different types of microphones. As you said, binaural ones. Those are good for recording mostly when you clip them to something like glasses and walk around, however the downside of them is they're not facing you, so you can sound a bit muffled. A stereo microphone isn't that good for carrying around, I would say. Of course everyone has their own opinions, these are mine.

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2011-10-28 23:04:24

Yeah, I know they're not too good to carry everywhere, but I wanted to do a sound seeing tour for blindcooltech, and I need it to be in sterrio.
Anny ideas?

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2011-10-28 23:12:49

Hi,

For those I'd recommend some small binaural mics you could clip to something like glasses, this will pick up the environment pretty well as well as your speech, should you decide to talk. I wouldn't, personally, use a hand-held stereo mic for that.

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2011-10-28 23:44:19

That's fine, how much do they cost?

2011-10-28 23:47:55

I would recommend the dm-620. It's small, has built in stereo microphones, and talks. It's only $169 U.S

2011-10-29 13:42:24

@Omar Alvarado
Thanks for that advice. I've ordered it.
big_smile

2011-10-29 22:20:18

Depending on the quality you need, headphones with rotating earpieces might work (Actually, that might be one case where earbuds might be useful, if you could keep them in place, possibly through some sort of black magic).
... What you've ordered is probably better. smile

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-10-29 23:08:38

yeah lol. I hope it's good quallity sound though
smile

2011-10-30 19:36:58

I'll send you a few recordings I have made with it if you want.

2011-10-30 19:49:46

where can you order that device

2011-10-30 20:40:30

The second and third google results for dm-620 seem promising:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=dm-620

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-10-30 21:12:30

@Omar Alvarado
If you woould, that'd be great.
thanks.

2011-11-03 00:30:40

I know that some people don't like walking around with a stereo mic, which I can understand, but maybe yor better off with a cheapish digital recorder, and that's probably better then clip on mics that face away from you, and usually sound thin and muffled, try olymmpus ls7 you can get it for around 200 american, and you can always try like, americanmusical, and nextag.com for better prices, or, zoom h2, it's real small, and easy to use, but it doesn't talk like the olympus, and the buttons are small, but lots of professionals use it as a backup, and you'll get that nice x-y stereo pickup.