2011-05-27 13:02:41

Hi.
This topic is going to be very geeky, so now you're warned.
I'm creating this topic to both study and share geeky stuff about jail-broken devices like the Iphone, ps3, Linux stuff, installing other operating systems onto machines which aren't ment for these operating systems, pushing costume devices to their limits by installing other operating systems and hacking firmwares to make better accessibility. So well, pretty much open topic where I'll start to share my thoughts:
I've thought about jailbraking my Iphone 3g S, but I've not done that yet for some reasons: It's my primary phone which requires it works all the time, I always want the latest firmware and I'm happy with my phone as it is and I'm not that much geeky as this topic might seems to be. I do know how most geeky stuff works, but that doesn't mean I'm an experienced Linux guy. I absolutely no nothing about the Linux console, but I might begin to learn it if something keeps my interest.
I've read a lot of stuff like: jailbrake your Iphone and get root access and control your device by ssh from your computer. Well, sounds awesome, but what would I then be able to do? Well, some people says "just everything." Wel, I don't think so, or realy? smile I've read some other awesome things which makes me think people tells me the truth when they say "everything." It's possible to install buntu and even Android on your jailbroken devie. that makes me think of the folowing:
It would be awesome if you could install Android and the different accessibility features on an Iphone. But, it would be even more awesome if you could install Vinux on the device. Why not? You have access to the whole OS on the Iphone by a Linux console from your computer, and if the thing can run Ubuntu, it should also be able to run Vinux. Well, I don't see why Well, my only issue is that I have no idea n how to do it. Lol. The only thing I could imagine was plugging the Iphone into a keyboard dock and use it as a normal computer, and then bood up into the normal IOS when you wanna use it like a normal phone.
Yeah, it might sounds like crazy...
What about android? Does it work the same way that you can just install what you want?
And what about the ps3? Damn it would be epic to install a hacked firmware with a screenreader. I would even donate lots of money to the guy who could make that. that would open up a wholenew world. I don't see why it souldn't be possible to make when you can hook up a standard USB keyboard to the machine.
Well, that's my crazy thoughts. I hope people will chime in here with their thoughts.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2011-05-27 14:52:50

Seconded on an accessible hacked firmware for a PS3 or XBox 360. Of course you'd then lose all PSN/Live! functionalities, and have serious trouble with updates to the firmware which I believe games require from time to time.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-05-27 16:01:18

I love these kinds of topics. Heres my thoughts, i have more experience actually haking consoles like the wii. You can make the wii for example run iso files, in other words, a file of a game disk, on the wii itself. Some other consoles already allow you to do this but for some reason, the wii didn't. However, you have to be really carefull doing it because there is security in the system that will frieze the wii and make it unuseable. Its called bricking the wii, type it in in google, there are some interesting horror storys around the net. As far as phones are concerned, i think the best thing apple did was to create the voiceover program and make it available not only for ipods, but i phones as well. It would be nice though if they did that for things like the playstation network or xbox live. Just some starting thoughts.

2011-05-31 08:38:19

Cx2: How do you know that you'll get issues wit the online features if you hack the firmware? You don't have any issues like this on Apples products. You're right that you can't alwayshave the newest firmware which is not good if your games requires it.

Yeah, I've heard that people have issues with jailbraking the Wii, but do you get any great features than running iso files?
I have a jailbroken psp which I might just put the newest original firmware on, because I don't get any accessible things out of the jailbroken firmware. Yeah, I can put some small home made games on it, but I don't think they are accessible at all. There are some small great apps too, but they are pretty much useless to uss, since the machine doesn't have any speech. I can of course download unlegle games and play them on the unit, but I'm the kind of person who wanna pay for playable games. However, I've tested one psp game to see if it's playable this way, and then I bought the game because it's nearly 100% accessible.
Does somebody knows if it's possible to make a simpel screenreader for these devices? Or make a hacked firmware more accessible? The ps3 and psp do have some sounds which makes the interface more accessible, but speech would be wonderful.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2011-05-31 11:19:31

I don't think you could do that. I don't think the software would even support speech. I could be wrong though.

2011-05-31 12:16:27

I'd imagine that since Soni has apparently patented a method for beaming sensory information into the brain via sound waves, they'd be a little receptive to adding some sort of screenreader to their devices.
... But odds are that's just wishful thinking. sad

(Said patent is more of a "potential" thing--nothing's been built, and it really sounds dangerous enough on multiple levels that them sitting on the patent might be better in the long run yikes.)

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-05-31 13:04:40

I'm not saying that Sony should make a screenreader. It could be made as an app you just install into the operating system like other apps to the psp or ps3. If people can make games which wirks on a hacked firmware, why not making simpel screenreaders which just speaks the highlited text yu select with the d-pad?

Best regards SLJ.

2011-05-31 13:10:33

Sensory information via sound waves? Ok, I seriously think that well... it sounds... well I can't even write down my thoughts, but, nonetheless my first thought is worry.
I hope they know what they're doing!
But yep, I'd love a screen reader on the psp and ps3, but particularly, I'm starting to wonder how accessible their next console is going to be: The NGP.
They're adding a touch screen interface. I just hope that this is optional, but if it's not, then we're out, once again, because I don't know of many companies like apple who create screen readers for touch screen, not the least build them right in.
I'm getting an iPod touch 4g this saturday, 64 gb. Looking forward to playing such games as papa sangre and such, but am wondering: what stuff does jalebreaking give access to?
I know there was an iPhone version of quake done via jalebreaking but the thing with that is that well, surprise surprise it wasn't accessible.
Also, emulators, but, seriously, is there anything besides those that makes it worth it?

2011-05-31 13:44:43

No, in my oppinion. I am pretty jail breaking just gives you access to the whole device so you can dump things like emulaters on it. I think thats about it. Interesting, i didn't know soni has a new system in the works. Here we go again, systems being outdated. I made a leap getting my 360 after having a playstation 2 for years and a PSP for a couple of years

2011-06-01 08:38:24

If you jailbreake your IOS device, you can change everything, but I've never tried it, so I don't know what's accessible. One epic feature though is that you can get all aps which isn't in your local app store. I could for example jailbreak my Iphone and download the nightjar, because that's not in the international app store yet.
Otherwise I don't know any really useful features.

Best regards SLJ.

2011-06-01 12:50:17

Jailbreaking an iOS device also gives you access to Cydia, which allows you to download thousands of unofficial apps. Not all of which are accessible, but it's still fun to do none the less. For example, I've changed my Voiceover to the sounds created by Andre Louis, which I personally prefer more than the originals. I've also got Cydia installed, which I use to experiment with new apps.

2011-06-03 07:46:45

As a note, Nintendo did consider making the Wii a touch screen device like their prior DS but decided against it. Aside from anything else a home console is intended to be connected to a TV, I don't see how a touch screen would contribute to the experience unless the entire TV became touch sensitive. Touch screens, especially large ones, are still very expensive and I just don't see it working on a non-portable device. Apple also specifically do not make touch screen based iMacs even though it would be well within their capabilities to do so.

Plus multiplayer in split screen would be near impossible if you're both trying to do it by touching the same screen.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-06-03 08:11:16

There is a small display on the wiimote. Maybe that was what they were considering making touch sensitive?

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-06-03 20:11:35

Ugh... gone too long, I missed all sorts of fun stuff... Anyway a couple reasons for no Vinux on touch devices. 1. the support isn't there for touch screen accessibility with Linux yet. Well, it is by ways of the Androids, but anyone that owns one of those knows that if someone without any sight doesn't have a keypad and such, then most of things aren't really accessible without paying for Mobile Accessibility or whatever it is called from code factory. Another reason is that the guy that heads Vinux just doesn't want to deal with trying to code anything for touch screens. Right now, there is enough trouble with making Ubuntu 11.04 work correctly, then try to throw Ubuntu, the Vinux project stuff, and then a touch screen into the mix? ugh... *shudders*

Oh, some other useful reasons for jailbreaking an iPhone. Things like teathering your iPhone, which wasn't available through A T&T before, and to get some stuff to tweak settings that Apple doesn't want you to use. I can't vouch for the iPhones, but I know that my iPod touch 3rd gen, has an 800 MHz processor, underclocked to about 600 MHz. Do you know what you could do with the iPod if it were running at it's full potienial? besides drain the battery that is lol.

There is also talk of a computer that is going to be released in the next year for schools and places without much cash flow. It's supposed to cost about $25 american? I will get the link from my email. The Vinux team si looking into buying a couple and testing them with most probably a CLI based version of Vinux (like vinux 2.1 or something). It'll (as of last update) run an arm based 700 or 900 MHz processor... I forgot, and have 128 MB of ram, but plans of those numbers being changed are in the air. I forgot the dimensions, but it's tiny, I mean like fits in the front shirt pocket of a men's button up shirt tiny, and plugs into HDMI port on a monitor or TV, and projects sound through there I guess. There is a lot that is still being worked out but hey, not a bad idea. That'll give new meaning to the phrase

Visit my site at VI Tek Talk.
A discussion forum for cross platform, cross device adaptive tech as well as adaptive tech insociety and different cultures.

2011-06-03 20:32:00

Ugh, let's try not getting this cut off this time? That'll give new meaning to the phrase

Visit my site at VI Tek Talk.
A discussion forum for cross platform, cross device adaptive tech as well as adaptive tech insociety and different cultures.

2011-06-03 22:49:38

Interesting stuff. I have been considering an i phone for a while but, i just haven't found a lot of reasons to own one. Unless there is something really fun about it that i don't know about yet.

2011-06-08 11:42:52

Fun about owning an Iphone? Well, read about Voiceover, it's features, follow all the discussions and just imagine how awesome it is to use a touch screen. smile
Sounds interesting that the CPU isn't running at 100% speed. Can you fix that by jailbraking it?
It would be awesome to get Vinux on and Iphone if you have a bluetooth keyboard or a keyboard dock for Ipad. That would make it just as accessible as on a normal computer.

Best regards SLJ.

2011-06-08 18:10:06

I suppose i could use it as secondary internet to my laptop. However, i don't think it supports flash

2011-10-26 05:04:19 (edited by SweetTune 2011-10-27 06:05:04)

Sorry for the late response, but I stumbled upon this thread while (of course) looking for info on Jailbreaking an iPhone. While jail breaking has been deemed to be perfectly legal, I still feel like it's a "dirty practice." And in the same light, it seems like it would be SO cool to take OWNERSHIP of that device. I'm just wondering if there are other, less "dangerous" items to tamper with. I feel like an iPhone is too risky because the warranty disappears after you tinker with it. I wouldn't want there to be any sort of patent litigation issues.

Now, if I decide to finally "jailbreak" or added a new OS to a device (and it's my own software), can I patent that software or is it considered tampering of intellectual property if I decide to actually publicize the implementation of my OS. Either way, it makes for some good discussion.

Any advice would be super duper appreciated. Thanks, guys! smile

Pam

2011-10-26 07:29:01

Hi.
Well the only thing I did remotely like this would be to install  win98 on my win95 laptop.
I needed to get drivers for it and it was not supported anymore but it did work nicely for a bit anyway.

On that note, I am seriously thinking of hacking my firmware for my old dlink g604t.
Is there a way I can install revision c firmware on to a device with revision b or is there a way to hack the firmware to install   well some cool firmware that does something interesting.
I have heard about firmwares like wrt and such but havn't been wanting to try it since its the primary device here, still I have thought about that for a while.
I have thought about hacking my digital tv, hard drive, sky box, etc.
I have thought about getting access to a car computer, or even my washing machine.
I mean controling all my devices from my phone or computer would rock.
On that note could android be put on to pc at all or could linux be put on my router.
Could my router/tv speak and have a windows like interface

2011-10-26 09:00:47

Sorry, it just doesn't work out cleanly that way. Mostly because different devices have different interfaces to begin with and they all use different programming langauges. Good luck though.