2021-04-20 09:23:10

hello everyone.
first of all, if this topic doesn't belong here, feel free to move it.
anyway, on to the main part of this post.
as we all know, negativity has been increasing.
so, this is a suggestion and a request for all the people who want this place to improve.
if you don't, I suggest not reading this topic.
now, there are 2 types of people who get inwolved in flame wars.
1, the people who want this place to be ruined.
2, people who want this place to improve, but they go about it the wrong way.
now, if you are in category 1, all i have to say to you is, go away.
however, relatively few people are like that.
if you are in category 2, this is for you.
if a topic looks like it mite become a flame war, ask yourself these questions before posting there.
1, will my post help the situation?
2, will it cause more flames?
3, if so, how can i change it not to do so?
4, will the people i'm talking too bother to listen?
5, if not, will anyone else listen and find it useful?
6, if all these questions get good answers, re read your post from different points of view, and if you still like it, post it.
I would like to say more, but i'm getting a bit tired, so i'll just say this.
we are at a very important stage with a few games on the edge of release and the video game community just starting to look at us.
we want them to make games for us.
so, for all of you who love games, in fact for all of you who love this community, you can make a difference.
how you do that is post more good topics, don't brake the rules, and do what ever you can to keep flames out of your topics.
oh and I forgot to say, if there is a topic with flames, don't even post there unless what you have to say reduces the flames.
feel free to comment, but don't flame, please?

2021-04-20 09:28:03

i compleetly agree with this, and this is probably the right room, i want this place to be a paradise for blind people and gamers, or something close to that

i am a system, i have headmates, and that is my life, and my discord is rings2006wilson#8609

2021-04-20 11:43:53

As well-intentioned as this is, the problem I see is that these guidelines are asking people to stop and think before they post, which for some is not easy. Learning to think before doing something can take years, especially if the person has issues with emotional/impulse control. That doesn't make them bad people; it's just something they have to manage. It's a process. My guess is a lot of flame wars are the result of pure impulsiveness/having something to prove, and we can't really fix that by asking people to stop and think before posting. Some people just can't, and I'm sure those who want to improve do try already.

2021-04-20 12:37:38

I totaly agree with post1
hope to stop flame wars one day

2021-04-20 17:02:31

Not really, flame wars are just result of the fact this is the Internet and you can post whatever. This won't ever change, no matter what you say.
It's unrealistic to expect this place to be all shiny and positive, because no community like that exists. I also don't really think mainstream developers are new to this kind of thing either. There's a difference between that and bashing of their games when it isn't warranted though, and the latter needs to be stopped. Constructive feedback is important.
I'm happy though that there are people advocating for accessibility outside of this forum, so even if a developer feels like this place isn't right for them for some reason, not everything is lost.

2021-04-20 17:22:10

If we want to put out flame wars, we either need a bucket of water or a fire extinguisher. Sorry, I’ll show myself out now. LOL.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2021-04-20 20:15:23

Agreeing with posts 3 and 5. It would be great to ask people to do damage control, but it only takes a few bad apples to spoil the barrel, and in most cases the worst of the apples are difficult to save... They almost have to save themselves or be booted out.

When I was a kid/teenager I used to think that if I told someone enough times to consider this, consider that, they'd listen. I used to think that if I explained my position well enough, people would see my point of view. And some do. Many will try. But many more are either unable or unwilling to even try, for a number of reasons. While this is of course frustrating and we all wish it would just not be a thing, I try to accept that people are like this and to understand why. Of course that doesn't make inflammatory behavior excusable, but it makes me feel like a better, more open-minded person.

Besides, I know I do stupid impulsive things. I try not to, but it does happen more than I'd like to admit, and is sometimes hard for me to deal with. Others likely struggle with similar impulses, so how can I reasonably expect them to put a barrier between their impulses and the keyboard, when I struggle to do that myself sometimes?

Of course I am not saying that flamers should continue to flame because they can't help it. Nor am I saying that the mods should be tolerant of flaming. What I'm saying is that when we aren't in a crisis, in other words when we're not in a situation which needs swift decisive damage control, I think it would be in our best interest to simply listen to one another. Getting into the grumpy old man versus the mischevious children mentality is never a good place to be, in other words we don't want to end up in a situation where flamers are burning the place down and the anti flamers are screaming for them to stop. That cycle gets us nowhere. But I'd love to see everyone just cool off, talk things out if need be, come to a mutual understanding of why the problems occurred, because I think that's the best way to truly extinguish negative emotions.

I know it's often more complicated than that, and the skills of listening and understanding also involve impulse control so... I'm probably just dreaming at this point, but hey, I think we'll stay afloat if the damage control protocols are used well.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2021-04-21 01:16:40

The world we live in at present is more concerned with opinions and specific narratives rather than actual conversations.  Fit in with one camp or side with another, but dare you stick around to balance it all and see things from a neutral perspective to try for resolution?  "That's too much work!  I'll just scream what I believe to the rooftops and if you don't like it, by the time you come back I probably won't see it, so I don't care!"  Such is the age of social media.
Not everyone's a lost cause, however, and if you want to try just a little harder, I suggest the following extensive but tested and helpful list of steps before submiting a post.
1.  Write out your post.
2.  Read your post.
3.  Think about your post.
4.  consider what it is you're trying to do with your post.
5.  Ask yourself if what you're trying to do will be achieved with your post.
6.  Ask yourself if what you're trying to do is worth doing with your post.
7.  Re-read your post.
8.  consider revising and editing your post.
9.  Re-read your edited and revised post.
10.  Before hitting submit, ask yourself if the material within the post would still be relevant an hour from the time you finished re-reading your now edited and revised post.  Will it still be important?  Will it still achieve the same amount of impact?  Wil it still be an atention grabber in a positive and productive way?  If so, can you consider waiting an hour before you hit submit just to prove it to yourself and to everyone else you're posting it to?  If you can't wait an hour, chances are you're trolling, or you're gonna set yourself up to get trolled and you'll end up playing the victim, which I'm willing to bet my next three meals on is honestly just as annoying to many if not most people reading.
Lest you walk away thinking I'm a perfect pearl?  I'm not.  Do I think of myself that way?  Absolutely not.  How would I describe myself if I had to assume the perspective of everyone else?  "Ug, that condescending, snarky halfwit again?  Why does he have to talk down to us?  Who does he think he is anyway?"
As I write, I'm having misgivings about submiting this post for that precise reason.  I'm also wondering if this is worth submiting because I realize that post 7 is right in essentials.  Then again, I always did like to try and impact and influence the world for the better, even if I could only do it one person at a time.  If just one person gets something out of this...
This line is here to demonstrate that this list of practices is being followed, that this post has already been reread four times in its entirety, and that a change in wording has been made.  Original wording in second paragraph, "Not all of us are lost causes though..."  Still revising.
Read for a fifth time in its entirety.  It's time to chew on the whole thing while I go get the children ready for bed.  NO sense in posting it right now... I'll copy it into a notepad document, hit refresh on the page when I get back to my PC and see if the topic has any new ideas and opinions.
Sixth reread.  POst 7 is still the most recent post.  Can I get away with posting this now?  Perhaps I'll just sit a bit and have the usual back and forth with the kids who don't want to go to sleep yet, watch a few vids on youtube, check my emails...
Seventh reread: removed an unnecessary "just" because it just wasn't necessary.  There!  I readded it, just in a different place now...  About to get angry with one of the children for trying to find any exuse to get out of going to bed.  Take a breather and watch this...  I find that I quite agree.
Thinking I really should start a youtube channel, but I don't know what people want to see, and I don't know how to get that "seeing" part down anyway.  I's not good with cameras.
Whaaaat?  Jordan Peterson predicts the death of mainstream media?  I dunno... I can't be the only one who reads the New York Times and other such news outlets...
Enjoying Shreddage 3... I seriously love this thing!  Hydra and Jupiter sound ever so amazing, though I think Jupiter was introduced in 2?
Eighth reread: noticed the word post has a typo in the paragraph concerning the sixth reread.  Excuse is also screwy.  Leaving them there for the sake of authenticity... I'm not a perfect pearl.  Refresh; submit.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2021-04-21 02:55:57

Nocturnus wrote:

5.  Ask yourself if what you're trying to do will be achieved with your post.
6.  Ask yourself if what you're trying to do is worth doing with your post.

this is 80 percent of the reason why 80 percent of what gets written down in Notepad doesn't make it to this forum.
Though for me there's an additional element of my emotions just going all over the place, so something can look completely justified one moment andc ompletely unnecessary/foolish the next. I think it's a combination of my bad self-confidence and my tendency to think 10 times more than I really should.

But that's completely different from the original thread, so I digress.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2021-04-21 15:57:04

@musicalman, and about 90 percent of what I want to write never gets written.  My kneejerk reaction when I see another flaming topic is, "What's wrong with these people!"  While I might have that sentiment scattered in light doses through my posts, I think anyone trying would be hard pressed if trying to find a concentrated amount of that in one post or even a topic.
As far as fighting confidence or lack there of goes?  Story of my life.  People have been telling me to showcase my tallents and abilities in greater ways.  I'm told I'm a good writer and that I should write a book or work on articles for some mag/paper or at least consider freelance journalism and the like.  I don't consider myself a creative enough thinker to flourish in that kind of environment.  Be a backing musician in a band or some sort of sideman.  Problem?  I don't think most of the music industry would appreciate that I'm a musician of the ear rather than a musician of the eye...  I can't make music look and sound good at the same time.
DJey?  Not much of a market for that anymore.  Teacher?  Maybe, but I don't know if I have the patience.  Telemarketer?  Bad ears, and the way I see my mother-in-law and wife treat some of those guys who I'm sure are not all deliberate scammers puts me off even more.  Public relations?  I suppose, but by the time I'm done doing that I feel far too stressed to deal with people in private to balance properly... I think I'm too much of an introvert.  Motivational speaker?  Ug... I dislike those guys as much as I disliked the school counselor; why would I want to be one?  Politician?  Oh, sure, when I want to sell my soul to DC!
Nah... I just do what I do.  When the church calls me to play on the worship team, I'm there.  When I get called to do a one man band gig/function, I'm there.  When I'm asked to give instruction or direction on a specific topic, I'm there.  When I'm asked for help with a product, service or platform, I'm there.  When I'm tapped for advice on a situation, I'm there.  I'll settle for not being a master of any one thing and doing my best to help wherever I can, expecting nothing and being pleasantly surprised and greatful when things come my way.  I don't have to be high profile... I just have to do my best with what I have.  If that ends up leading to greater heights?  I won't say no.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2021-04-21 16:14:11

10 really deserves a thumbs up btw

2021-04-21 19:54:48

While we're on the subject, and if you're seeking improvement in any or all of these areas, I'd like to stress that having an opinion isn't the problem.  For that matter, having an argument isn't even the problem!  People will disagree by virtue of who and what people are!  Differences exist!  The question you should always attempt to ask yourself, and I'll take no credit for this one... "What does it profit a person to win the argument but act like a jerk?"
If it matters to you, and you want it to matter to someone else, there are a few things you really should consider.  Who is it you are trying to reach?  Are they a friend?  You're probably going to be spending a ton of time with them after your argument, so do you want to spend that time with a load of awkwardness and tension hanging in the air around the two of you?  Are they an opponent?  An adversary of some kind and for some reason?  What's the reason and why does it matter to you that they believe like you?  If it really matters that much, are you more interested in winning a tiny skirmish or the whole war?  If the latter is true, do you think you'll win it by giving them more fuel to work with?  Will your presentation cause them to give you any kind of respect, even if it is reluctant?  Will they concede that you may have some valid points?
When you publish anything on the net, no matter what it is, tweet, FB post, youtube vid, you're automatically going to be able to split your readers/listeners/viewers into three camps: people who side with you, people who sit on the fence, and people who say you're crazy.  To simplify, they either believe you, are not sure what to believe ,or disbelieve everything you say in favor of something else.  How you respond should be no different regardless of the numbers because the whole point is to try and make people feel important when you're talking to them, even if you don't agree with them.  People should always feel like persons, not like part of a whole, unless the whole is already in agreement anyway, in which case you won't have to worry about people.  If you can address a thousand and still make them all feel like individuals, you've already won a massive victory.  Either way, whether it's one person, one classroom full, or a sold out arena full of spectators, the principles are the same.
1.  To those who side with you?  Get them to do what you're doing.  They may believe you already, and they may be presenting and representing said beliefs, but doing it badly.  You can set the example here.  Don't take the stance that you alone should be the one going at it solo.  One person arguing for the right cause will never be as effective as a coalition of allies.
2.  To the people who sit on the fence?  Their minds are not made up, and they don't want to appear like sheeple who just follow willy nilly.  They want to gather the facts.  Praise them; reward them for their character.  Tell them they're smart for being skeptical.  Understand that they do not wish to be betrayed by trends today that may be gone tomorrow, or misinformation that seems relevant but is dishonestly cleverly twisted manipulated melarky that can trip up any intelligent person.
3.  To the people who say you're crazy?  Presentation is everything.  Tone is everything.  Give them an excuse and they'll pounce on it.  It's bad enough that you're disagreeing, because any disagreement can sound like arrogant narcisistic blabber as soon as it pops up.  If you add to it in any way your plane is grounded before you even planned the trip and is going absolutely nowhere.  This is why you must consider your opponents most particularly.  Are they going to blindside you with questions you can't answer?  Your initial reaction might be to say they're just being trolls or to troll them back.  The correct response?  "You know what?  I think your question is a good one, and I'll admit that I don't know the answer but I'll look into it."  If that humble "I don't know" is not acceptible to them, then you know they're just fighting to fight, and you can walk away with that knowledge in hand... I won't tell you what to do with it later; that's up to you and your character will dictate for better or worse.
And, before some pragmatist practical somebody comes along and goes, "Yo, Noc?  You can't please everyone!"  Believe me, I know.  I've tried.  It didn't work.  It's paradoxical.  I keep on going, however, because when it comes to doing what's right and doing what's easy, easy doesn't take as much effort as right, and right is generally and by far appreciated more than easy.  Again, I'm no perfect pearl and I won't say I always do it right.  I compromise too.  That's why I do my best to showcase my humanity as well.

2021-04-21 20:55:44

@Nocturnus well said. Saddly flame wars will always be the same as long as people feel passionate about their arguement, and themselves.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2021-04-22 05:11:01

hey all, I just wanted to clear something up.
I never thought, even for a moment, that this topic would reduce all or even most of the flame wars.
honestly, I think I will  be lucky if it even reduces it a bit.
I have imagined this place as some sort of internet paradise, but I know that's not possible.
however, we can get a little closer than we are now.
it's a bit like py, where you can't reach the goal, but you can get closer.
that's what we should do now, bit by bit, we should start trying to control our emotions, though we will slip up.
I wrote this hoping some people mite realize that what they are doing is a mistake, and just to have a discussion about what you think before writing this post.
Nocturnus, you said it better than I ever could, thank you.
musicalman, I find your posts well worded, though they can get really long, lol.
I've never seen you flame though, so you probably are thinking clearly.
again, remember that I'm not expecting this place to be a paradise, oh and if anyone says, but it was one in 2005,
first of all, no it wasn't. there were equal flames, and more talking about cracks, it's just that the flames were about different things.
I'll post a link when I find it, but remember tournament of the 9 kings?
and quality audiogames?
and the hole james north afair?
and ofcorse, let's not forget cosmose or that hole, I'm making games for you so only give me positive feedback or I'll stop, attitude.
also, there weren't as many people then as there are now, more people means more argument, means more flame wars.
there were good people then, just as there are now.
and sure, we had more developers, and that's great, but we are driving our new ones away with these flames.
and just before I end, for people who don't flame and are reading this and feeling helpless, I will say it again.
you can help. try to make more good threds and discussions, don't flame, and try to help bury the negativity in positivity.
I don't think we can bury it, but we can attleast post more positive things, to attleast make our positiveness show through the negativity.
oh and for those who are wondering how i know all that about 2005, I read through the entire general game discussion room.

2021-04-22 06:33:28 (edited by Dark 2021-04-22 06:43:21)

John: flame wars are bad! I really wish people would think before they write anything.

Jane: Your so right John, if only people would just stop and consider what they are writing.

James: Absolutely! People are just too impulsive.

Joanne: What ja mean, like when this time when I just wrote stuff without tinking, it just like bad, but jes cos people just pozaz bad stufss, dats cos dem not bad ppes ja know what I'm sayin.

John: I'm sorry Joanne, I'm afraid I didn't exactly follow there.

Joanne: What ja problem! Cos I was agreein, but ja has a go.

John: I wasn't having a go, I think you need to perhaps consider using a spellcheck.

Joanne: What ja mean? I ryte fine! Ja just pickin' on me. Hay mods, give John a warning!

Jane: No Joanne, I don't think John was picking on you, I think he just was having trouble understanding what you said.

Janes: Really, this forum should have an age limit, its people like Joanne that cause problems here.

Joanne: Getoff my case ja scum! dats a personal attack! can say what I wan't cant I?

John: Hold on a minute, if we can just get back on track, I was just saying that flame wars are bad.

James: Oh I agree, flame wars are terrible, but we'd have so fewer off them if people like Joanne would just grow up a bit and learn to write properly, its the likes of her that is the real problem.

Jane: James, that's out of line, we have free speech on the internet, and we can't expect everyone to adhere to the same writing standards, I mean there are younger people, and people who don't have English as a first language.

James: I'm aware of that, but Joanne is really getting out of line here, and I'm just saying that its people like her that are the problem, I'm sure she'll grow up in a few years, but right now, she just comes in here with this attitude, and you see what happpens?.

Joaanne: who ja callin outoff line ja moron! Mods giv like james a warnin cos hes pickin' on me.

Jane: Really, I don't think James is picking on you Joanne, can we just relax here?

John: Oh for the love of Pete! I was just trying to say that I don't like flame wars? why can't people get back on the topic at hand here.

Joanne: no cos I was just greein but den James like goton my case and e should like be banned!

James: really Joanne is just causing trouble here, why don't the mods give her a warning.

Jane: Look! can we just agree that everyone's at fault, and nobody's exactly to blame, and perhaps get the discussion back on track.

Joanne: Dat is okay James but James is like pickin on me.

James: Oh for goodness sake! I can't stand people that can't use the letter G! Joanne really is behaving like a fool here! And people wonder why flame wars start?

Jane: You really can't say that James,  calling someone names is going over the line.

Joanne: Shutup James jja fuckin' moron, ja, fuckin' dont know what ja sayin, so like ja just fuckoff already?

Jane: What's happened to john?

James: I think he left this thread, not sure why, I mean, if it weren't for Joanne we could have a reasonable discussion here.

Joanne: Tis people like James dat cause flamewars dat is tru, wed be fine if wernt for him.

Jane: Oh can't we just agree on something?

James: Oh I'm agreeing, that's not the issue, flame wars are bad things, I'm just saying that we need a better standard of discussion here, and that certain people should try to write better. Really Jane you have the beswt of intensions, but you need to understand that rational discussion requires rational people, and Joanne just isn't rational.

Joanne: who ja callin not rational ja moron! ja fuckin' idiot!

Jane: ~James, you really need to stop acting so superior, and Joanne, perhaps you could be a bit less touchy, we're only trying to have a discussion here.

James: But obviously I am superior, I mean, look at the standard of my English compared to Joanne's, really Jane, you need to understand that some people just don't belong in adult discussions.

Joanne: shut ja mouth! ja fuckin' idiot! Jane, why ja siding with him?

James: Oh do give it up Joanne you illiterate fool!

Joanne: Jane? Where Jane gone?

James: She probably couldn't stand to hear more of your pathetic wining.

Joanne: fuckoff!

James: Oh really, just the sort of response I'd expect from the likes of you?

Joanne: Ja sexist, racist pig!

James: Oh, we're getting political are we? Well your a good advertisement for liberals I must say you brainless idiot.

Moderation! this thread is now being closed, since toxic political discussion is not permitted on this forum.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2021-04-22 10:00:33

To Self: I'm convinced Dark has a hatred for names that start with the letter J; why did he have to bring all these vulnerable people into such a topic and air out their brutal discussion?
Self responds: That's a fairly serious accusation to level at someone, particularly if you have no proof of it.  I guess you should just be glad Jack wasn't involved?
To Self:  Actually?
Self responds: Yes?  You have something to say?
To Self: Who do you think handed out the moderation warning?
Self responds:  Oh, no, you don't seriously think?
To Self:  I do think.  Why do you think he wasn't mentioned by name?  If he had been it would have been far too obvious that he has a hatred for names that start with the letter J.  Jack would be the bad guy who took the fall here.  The only guy who would praise him would be James, but even he would have to come to grips with the fact that his behavior was just as unacceptible eventually, if he's going to be reasonable...
Self responds: If you're right, then we need to warn all the others who have names that start with the letter J on this forum!  This kind of toxic behavior really shouldn't be tolerated here!  Of course, we must first prove that you're right.  We must also approach Dark in a spirit of humility on this matter.  There's no sense in acting superior, you know?
To Self: Yeah, but you know where the problem is, right?
Self responds: No, what is it?
To Self: It's that Dark could just as easily say he is being discriminated against on the basis that he doesn't hate all names that start with all other 25 letters of the English alphabet.  That all of those people's names started with the letter J was purely coincidental.
Self responds: Surely he wouldn't lie that way if presented with ironclad proof of his toxic behavior?  Surely he'd work to improve it?
To Self: Ug, you really are too nice to people sometimes... Always trying to see the best in everyone...
Self responds:  isn't that better than assuming everyone's out to get everyone else?
To Self:  But that's just it!  Everyone is out to get everyone else!  What on earth do you think this topic is about?
Self responds:  Doing your best not to present yourself as if you're someone out to get everyone else and the whole world isn't against you?
To Self:  You doofus!  This whole topic got started because other people were flaming!  Are you aware of what that means?
Self responds: Hey, I'm only as smart and dumb as you are...  I only know what you know...
To Self: Then why on earth are you acting like you don't know?
Self responds: Because I'm the side of you that you argue with when everyone else is arguing and you want to formulate an opinion that isn't biased and has some educated foundation one way or the other?
To Self:  We've strayed off the point here though.  Right now, the matter under discussion is Dark's hatred for names that start with the letter J.
Self responds:  I dunno, man... I think you're reading too much into this.  Right now, the matter which should be under discussion is your sanity.
To Self:  And why on earth would you accuse me of that and call me crazy all in one go?
Self responds: Because that's what you do!  As soon as you see anything that looks like a controversial conversation you want in on it and I'm having to talk you out of it or else keep you from making an idiot of yourself!
To Self: Ha ha!  But you are myself!  You really are stupid!
Self responds:  Well, then, by that logic, so are you!
To Self:  I know you are, but what am I!
Self responds:  Whatever I am, you are to!
To self:  Alright, this is getting us nowhere; can we just agree that Dark hates names that start with the letter J?
Self responds:  Right now, I'm not inclined to agree with you on anything!  It's so late it's early, you really should be asleep, you have four children and a wife to take care of, and you're sitting here posting plain garbage on the internet!
To Self:  But I can't sleeeep!
Self responds: That's hardly an excuse for acting like a child!
To Self: Which is more childish, the fact that we're having this conversation, or the fact that there's a maniacal goon on the loose who hates names that start with the letter J?
Self responds:  You still haven't proven it...
To Self:  Proof?  Proof?  What is friggin proof on the internet!
Self responds: In this particular case... I don't exactly know, but I do know it's more than making some outlandish, ridiculous statement about someone based on a conversation that never happened.  This is the kind of thing that ends up hurting people's feelings!
To Self:  Yeah, I know, and he should have thought about that before airing out all of these people's dirty laundry!  Joanne's only issue is that she is misunderstood.  James reminds me of a guy who seems as insecure as any I've ever come across and trys to hide it behind a load of aggressive confidence and self-importance; he just needs someone he can trust to talk to and that, obvously isn't Joanne.  John may have really been the one who instigated this whole mess, ironically, by not thinking about the way he wrote the very first statement that began this whole conversation.  Jane's too shye to be of much help here.  Oh, and why do you say that conversation never happened?  Are you gonna tell me Dark wrote that just for laughs?
Self responds:  Why must you act as if you have this whole thing figured out?
To self:  Because I'm sure I do!
Self responds:  NO you're not!
To self:  Yes I am!
Self responds:  No, you're not!
To self:  Alright, how do you know that?
Self responds:  Because if you were absolutely sure without the shadow of a doubt, you wouldn't be having this conversation with me.
To Self:  I'm having this conversation with you because I know noone else is going to take me seriously!
Self responds:  Why do you want me to take you seriously?
To self:  Because if you don't, our whole self is gonna fall apart!
Self responds;  It hasn't yet, and I haven't always taken you seriously before now.
To self:  Whaaaat?
Self responds:  Think about all the decisions Nocturnus has made as an entity!  Do you think they were made by my always agreeing with you?
To Self:  Just who are you, anyway?
Self responds:  I'm yourself!
To self:  I'm myself!
Self responds: Yes, you are!  And you're having a conversation with me!  I'm the filter you run it all through when everything matters.  When you're sitting alone at night, when you're walking through the halls of a building, when you take out the garbage, when you get angry and you know you screwed it all up and you need a way to get through it all later on, when you want to tell everyone else that flaming isn't a great thing to do and you need direction on how to make that fit into a document that looks like it was written by professionals with loads of experience even though you don't get paid for your advice...
To self:  Shut up!  You're the reason I'm awake!
Self responds:  Yes, I am, and you will live with it, because the alternative is that you have no self!
To Self:  What does any of this back and forth have to do with Dark hating names that start with the letter J!
Self responds:  Nothing, absolutely nothing, anymore than your critical annalysis of the conversation proves that Dark hates names or people with names that start with the letter J!
To Self: But that conversation...
Self Responds:  Never happened.  It was a pure stroke of imagination.
To Self:  Imagination?
Self responds: Surely you know what that is?
To self:  I don't need to be condescended to!
Self responds:  Sorry...
To Self: How do you know that conversation never happened?
Self responds: Have you ever seen someone write like the person called Joanne in this conversation?
To self:  I... That does not prove the conversation never happened.  Surely if it didn't, it was based on the idea that there are people who write like that?
Self responds:  Yes, there just may be people who write like that.  But they're not on this forum, and if they are on this forum, their names are not John, Jane, James and Joanne.
To self: How could you possibly know that, have you ever searched and read through every post to be able to concretely come to that conclusion?
Self responds:  I don't need to.  Even if by chance, and I'm aware the chance is high given the commonality of those names, there are four individuals on the forum with those names, they're not going by those names.
To self:  But, couldn't he be using those names as a direct attack on them?
Self responds;  Well, yes, that is possible, save for one other issue with that train of thought, which is that if he really wanted to air out a flamewar between four people who's names all started with the letter J on a topic that already  dealt with the idea of flamewars, just because he hates people who's names start with the letter J, it wouldn't fly under the nose of the rest of the forum.  For goodness sake, you have an overly large nose and you're sticking your people into imaginary people's business, isn't that enough proof of that fact?
Self:  Are you calling me nosy!
Self responds:  Yes!  I am!
To self:  You're nosy?
Self responds;  I can be...
To Self:  Should we leave all these imaginary people alone, then?
Self responds:  Yeah.
To Self: And pretend this conversation never happened?
Self responds:  If you hit submit, you can try to pretend it never happened, but the fact is that once it's public this conversation is as good as recorded and noone reviewing it will forget it.
To self:  Should I hit submit?
Self responds:  That depends.
To self:  Depends on what?
Self responds: On why you would even want to?
To self:  If you know what I know, and I know what you know, and we've already established we're one and the same, then you and I both know that this was either a really bad attempt at satire, or a really good one.  We also know that we won't know until we hit submit.
Self responds:  Yes, and you really should consider your sanity.
To self:  You and I both know I have none, if I'm willing to have a conversation with you about Dark hating people who's names start with the letter J.
Self responds:  You mean...
To Self:  Yes, I just wasted your time.
Self responds: How could you?  You uncaring, self-centered, repulsive, odious...
To self:  Now now, is this how you wana go down?  Nocturnus shall forever be known as a hypocrite from here on out with all that flaming and name calling...
Self responds:  Well you should have thought about that before ever having this conversation...
To self:  I did, that's why I had it!  Just another orchestrated moment in the life of good ol Noc, and now people will either forever wonder just what's wrong with me, or they'll shamelessly thumbs up this load of baloney and laugh it all up.
Self responds:  At my expense!  And you don't care!  And the only one I have to blame is...
MYSELF! BOO, HOO, HOO!

2021-04-22 10:42:26

nocturnus, lol. +1 for that, and I'll try to come up with something that anyone but myself has a hope of finding funny.
the other thing that makes it funny is, I don't know if you remember, but in a topic about a game, i forgot which one, you accidentally put it in the off topic room, and when dark moved it, you did something similer about self.
there, one of the self was scolding the other self for not putting it in the right room, and he said, you should go hit yourself.
then, self, I mean the self that was getting scolded, said, do you really want me to do that?
I remember laughing a lot about that, and this.
you and dark should make a comedy series and shair it here, lol.
and dark, this is exactly what I'm talking about.
one of the people, i forget which, started attacking the person who can't right properly, and that's why the flames started.
insted of doing that, he could just have said, I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble understanding what your saying, can you please try to spell your words a little better?
o btw, this is only a joke, so don't take it seriously, but since that hole thing about names starting with a J started, i can prove that boath dark and jayde have that dislike.
remember that topic about mod applications? well, the people arguing in the example there had names starting with j, at least two of them did, lol.
though, i didn't check the spelling so it could have been a g, but just thought i should menction it.

2021-04-22 15:26:08 (edited by Dark 2021-04-22 15:27:26)

I think Nocturnus should get a moderation warning here, he's being very mean to Nocturnus, accusing him of paranoyer and lots of other things!
In fact, if this sort of behaviour cannot be stopped, I would suggest that Nocturnus be banned from the forum, since planely he just cannot get on with nocturnus, and any time Nocturnus attempts to make a post, Nocturnus will object to it. Indeed, I believe that Nocturnus might have some sort of access to nocturnus' account, since everytime Nocturnus makes a post, nocturnus also responds, which probably means that Nocturnus has some unlawful access to Nocturnus computer!

I'll also submit that nocturnus is obviously just causing trouble, what with accusing people of being Jayist on absolutely no evidence whatsoever, I mean, even when nocturnus mentioned that the fact that this conversation happened to involve four J people might be a total coincidence, nocturnus just persisted in his paranoid beliefs.

jayism, is a very serious world problem, and throwing around accusations like that will only cause further flame wars, since there are just as many flame wars started by people accusing each other of jayism as by j people; not that j people cause more flame wars of course, since I'm totally not prejudiced against J people and nocturnus is entirely incorrect here, I have many J friends and never consider them different from me, well obviously they are different being Jay, but they're not different different if you know what I mean.

Getting off my lack of Jayism however, I still say Nocturnus should get at least a warning, indeed, maybe Nocturnus should even consider legal action if he's literally unable to sleep because of Nocturnus' actions.

And I'm totally not trying to cast light onto Nocturnus' issue here because I think he might be right about the Jayism, since I'm absolutely not a jayist!

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2021-04-22 18:56:36

24 hours later...
Dgleks wrote:

Moderation:
Nocturnus, since you can't seem to stop hurling attacks at Nocturnus, I'm hereby establishing a permaban, the first of its kind in existence on audiogames.net for a myriad of reasons, ranging from malicious self-trolling when you have constantly been told not to feed trolls in any respect, to accusing people of prejudices that are honestly very distasteful!

Jack wrote:

Owing to this latest incident in which Nocturnus received an unfair ban because he was trying to look out for people like myself who were given names that start with the letter J, I am resigning from the moderation panel and leaving this forum!  Effective immediately!  I'll conclude with this, if you cannot defend people like Nocturnus who seriously seriously try to stick up for people like myself who seriously do have a J in our name, specifically in the very beginning of our name, you obviously don't know Jack!

And the flamewars continued, and spread, and the forum was a hotbed of trolls who rioted back and forth.  Those who sided with Nocturnus were unsure of precisely who or what side of him they were siding with because he always appeared a little less than stable, while those who sided with Dark sided with him because on the whole he had laid out an effective argument against Nocturnus concerning Nocturnus.  All was fought in the name of Jayism.

Four years later: Two men are sitting in a well furnished room in an undisclosed location.

Nocturnus: You're a lot closer today than you've ever been to finalizing all the preparations necessary to move forward with operation Grue.
Dark: Yes!  I am, but Yee gods why in the world did we have to ruin a forum with flamewars!
Nocturnus: You and I both know that after having bought google and Microsoft, in conjunction with all of the artificial intelligence and hybrid cloud software we acquired through IBM, that people were looking for excuses to flame anyway.  How many Algorithms did we study?  How many simulations did we play with!
Dark: I still can't believe we took the risk we took on this one.  Everyone's back was turned because Covid Covid Covid, and two blind blokes acquire two leading tech giants to advance our agenda while making it all look like it's business as usual?
Nocturnus: Such is the way of things... I mean, for goodness sake, they bought that whole thing about you being a Jayist?
Dark: Yeah, they forget I defended your wife in a moderation decision, who's real name starts with a J...
Nocturnus: And that has never been a secret.  See what I mean?  Most people would forget their heads if they weren't atatched!
Dark: Even with computers remembering everything for them... I sometimes do wonder where, if at all, people's heads are atatched...
Nocturnus: Well, that's neither here nor there.  I promised I wouldn't take up too much of your time since you still have to solidify your control over Scotland Yard and find a sutible candidate to head up things with INTERPOL who will understand and embrace our agenda... I just wanted to know what you need from me.
Dark:  Are your FBI and CIA operatives in place?
Nocturnus: They are indeed...
Dark: Can you believe they thought Covid was bad?  I forever warned them about the grue!  They wouldn't believe me!  Now, they're going to wish they had!  All of the past will seem like a wonderful dream in comparison to this!
Nocturnus: Have you replaced those Stooges you forever kept complaining about because of their laziness?
Dark:  For the love of crumb cakes!  Call them cyberelves, will ya?  It sounds cuter and people aren't as suspicious of what you're up to when things sound cute; that's why Baby Shark worked out so well and conquered the minds of toddlers around the world!  Now they don't want to do anything other than what Baby Shark tells them to do!  Cute things...
Nocturnus:  Yeah yeah... I know, but that's only because you didn't want to try my idea concerning converting radiowaves into brainwaves for complete mind control right off the bat.
Dark: You're always fond of looking at the big picture; why can't you do that now?
Nocturnus:  I can, but patience is a virtue I'm still working on, if you can even call that a virtue in this field of work...
Dark:  Wasn't it you who said one man's psychotic was another's visionary?  Even the greatest of heros and vilains have their limits on what they will and won't do.  You still need virtues.
Nocturnus:  Heh, and that's why Lex Luthor never outright kills Superman; what a boring world that would be for him...
Dark: Precisely... With all those eyes and ears he has to the ground, being a billionaire above Bruce Wayne, you think he really, really doesn't know that Batman has a shard of kryptonite and that he really can't get it?
Nocturnus: So, who's the real hero in this story?
Dark: That depends on who's the real vilain.
Nocturnus: And since it's all up to subjective interpretation...
Dark: Exactly.  Meanwhile, we just let the trolls get on with their lives and we do what we do.  Proceed with your experiments... I've no doubt they'll be successful when they're needed.
Nocturnus: If they fail, you'll never find me.
Dark:  You'd best hope I don't, because if I can, that means others who will want your head can do so as well.
Nocturnus: I'm fully aware of that.  I was once taught failure is a one way street while success is a constant journey.  I like traveling.
Dark:  Carry on, then.
Nocturnus:  I shall.  Best of wishes with your plans.
Dark: Be careful what you wish for...
Nocturnus: I forgot how to be careful a long time ago.

2021-04-22 20:12:10

I enjoyed reading that post, @21.
You should continue the series.
It'd make a good book, to be quite honest. I'd read it. Lmao.

-----
Matthew's Horse Needs Your Support!
Discord: misterkrabs69

2021-04-22 20:54:57

That's what I like about this forum, after a while nearly all topics just go into a lighthearted funny tone. There's negativity here on the forums, but that's only natural in a large, diverse gaming community. If we're gonna point out the bad, point out the amount of blind folks here who came with a question about moving in by themselves, and had no idea where TF to start, or whatever whatever and got assistance. I mean, if it was really as bad as some folks say the forum is, then those kind of topics woul dbe filled with  shit like, "Figure it out yourself you stupid mother fucker winy blindy trash", etc, but nope. The barriors are dropped and we have people helping out each other like a proper community.
This topic has been worded messily, but TL:DR, the forum is toxic and negative in some ways, and I agree it needs to change, but I like the flipside to that, which I think outweighs it, most of the time.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2021-04-24 14:02:56

@Nocturnus you say that you aren't creative enough for free lance writing, I call bullshit!
You're freaking hilarious. You, Dark, and Jayde need to compete in a creative writing game. Where you build each other up and create this fantastic story, but at the very end, you try to be the best standing writer.

2021-04-24 14:47:38

zarvox, that's a great idea.
we should have a competition about that and see who can win.
I would really love to see that, I can't even guess which of them is more creative.
maybe one of us should give a premise for a story, and each of them could make their own story based on that premise.
we could see who's story is most creative, and they would be the winner.
or, they could all work on a story, and we could just see how creative they were.
I don't think it's possible for them to work on a story and still see who was more creative, but if you have an idea about how they could, please share it.

2021-04-24 23:13:33 (edited by Zarvox 2021-04-24 23:18:04)

well this could either be done 2 ways. They build up a story together until a very interesting point, then all write solo from there and we analyze each one.
Or they write a vague but still specific plot together, and each of them write their own story that follows the plot.

2021-04-24 23:22:02

rofl Sorry peeps... Not happening.  While I'm up for collaborative writing and would have no objection to it, I've no taste for getting owned by two guys who can outwrite me in a keystroke.  Jayde certainly has skill, and I think Dark has mentioned previously that he has some experience in this area.  By comparison, the only thing I've ever done that was successful was writing for highschool and college.  I had to, you see.  It had something to do with grades and grade point averages and yada yada.  It wasn't exactly choice...