2021-04-21 14:36:58

Hi folks. So, over the past month I’ve been delving into Cataclysm Dark Days ahead, and to cut a long story short, It has essentially sped its way up the ranks, and achieved status as my all-time favourite game in existence. So, on this note, given that I have grown rather partial to roguelikes, I was curious if you guys could recommend some roguelike stile games that you think are worth giving a try. I’d settle for just about anything, though sci-fi and post-apocalyptic are normally preferred.
In addition, I was wondering if anybody around here had ever heard of a roguelike called, Caves of Cud. I was browsing around when I stumbled over this one, and was curious if anyone knew about it, and weather or not it was accessible, cause as far as I could tell it appears, on the surface, that it might be. It’s completely text based, with incredibly minimalistic graphics to my understanding. the only hang up that I’ve got is that its built in Unity, and I’m not sure weather that means nothing accessibility wise, or weather it makes the difference between a game being playable, or an absolute crap shoot.

Hit up my YouTube Channel at
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC9wWO … R85ILY1VQ/
Their you'll find some gaming videos, and what ever els my confused mess of a brain decides to upload. Hope you enjoy it and Stay safe, folks.

2021-04-21 18:24:18

Hi Samuel,

Unfortunately, the game you mention is not playable for us. THere is an older pure ascii version, but I never had much luck with that either.

I can definitely recommend Nethack, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, and some versions of Angband, but none of those are sci-fi.

2021-04-22 07:01:03

If I may ask, how do you play CDDA? I assume with speakup on Linux, but I'm having a lot of confusion right from the start, because it seems that arrowing through the main menu with highlight tracking on activates the options, or changes the screen somehow.

We move in circles, balanced all the while on a gleaming razor's edge
A perfect sphere, colliding with our fate...this story ends where it began.

2021-04-22 07:14:19

If you love roguelike games then slay the spire is a must play. I have spent over 600 hours on that game already and the replay value is amazing. If you haven't already check it out, you wont regret it.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2021-04-22 13:03:55

@3, I actually find it a lot easier to play CDDA using standard Orca. It is a bit tricky at first to get going with it, cause Orca does have a tendency to try reading the graphics. For example, when I launch the main menu, it just reads a whole bunch of back slashes, without giving any useful information. However, from what I’ve seen, there are 2 things which will come in handy when playing Cataclysm with Orca, and that’s firstly having a grasp on how the various screens are laid out. World generation is actualy a pretty good example of were knowing at least the basic layout really helps, cause right off the bat I know that its devided into 3 columns, labelled mods, world options, and finalize world. Additionally I also know that in the mods column I know that there are a bunch of sub categories for defolt mods, black list mods, and rebalancing mods. I just feel that knowing and understanding the layout will help you in grasping exactly were you’re focused on, and make navigating and doing stuff a whole lot more snappy. The second thing I’d recommend is grabbing a numpad. Being able to go word by word through what’s visible on the screen is incredibly helpful when you for example want to check what level your or NPC’s skills are at, and other important information.
Something else which is also pretty important when starting to play cataclysm, is having patience with the game, and trying to figure out work arounds for when you encounter a situation where you can’t access certain important information. The crafting menu for example was an absolute nightmare for me when I started out, cause when I’d try to go through the available crafting options with the arrow keys, it just wouldn’t read what recipes I knew, any information on how to craft any given item, nothing. However, with a little experimentation, I found that hitting e when focused on an item would present you its description, as well as its name and stats. As such, with this information, as well as the numpad to read some info which wasn’t being automatically read out I’m finding the crafting menu very usable.

Hit up my YouTube Channel at
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC9wWO … R85ILY1VQ/
Their you'll find some gaming videos, and what ever els my confused mess of a brain decides to upload. Hope you enjoy it and Stay safe, folks.

2021-04-22 13:51:13

Hades, a must play and slay the spire of course! Hades is kinda tricky as it is a video game without any accessibility but totally playable and amazing if you like Diablo style combat with amazing story with roguelike stuff there.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2021-04-22 14:09:16

Still can't get hades for some reason, i don't know what's where and stuff. And the combat is wtf for me. Though that's maybe because i'm using keyboard and not controller, and autoaim is off.

Hail, Daughter of Hatred. Creator of Sanctuary. Hail...Lilith.

2021-04-22 14:15:43

Oh yeah, just get a controller and you will see a difference.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2021-04-22 14:49:05

I'm not realy into controllers due to using pc and stuff with only one hand, but i'll see what i can do cause i have one laying around  which i got for slay the spire.

Hail, Daughter of Hatred. Creator of Sanctuary. Hail...Lilith.

2021-04-25 20:49:00

You might as well check out this website of the famous RL roguelike series creator Kornel Kisielewicz, his 7 day roguelike projects are all supposedly console and screen reader accessible both on Windows, Linux and Mac https://chaosforge.org/, you need to see the links shown in the projects at the right side of the website, there are links to his 7 day roguelikes, I believe that @zkline has played some of his games too, so he might know plenty about their accessibility as well