2021-04-18 11:21:11

Okay this is frustrating.
I'm trying to unsubscribe from a skill on Alexa, and there is no way to do it.
Whenever I view Amazon's stupid help and support I'm told I can find it in the "more", tab of the Amazon Alexa ap.

Assuming the Ap is the same as the browser version on https://alexa.amazon.co.uk/spa/index.html#cards

there is absolutely no "more" to click on.

I've looked through everything in the settings tab and there's nothing.

this is weird, since I've been using the web version to enable/disable skills, setup new devices and everything else.

I've disabled the skill and unlinked my account, but I'm not sure if that also disables the subscription as well.

Am I using the wrong web interface?
its obvious that amazon want people to spend money, but aren't keen on people stopping spending money, so any thoughts would be appreciated.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2021-04-18 19:02:57

Basically, don't assume the web interface is the same as the web interface. I remember Amazon  explicitly mentioning that the web interface did not have the same featureset as the app. To directly address the issue, I've never actually subscribed to a skill, so I'm not sure. However all articles I've seen on the matter point towards the app, so perhaps that's where you could look next?

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2021-04-19 12:10:15

Is the ap accessible for windows? Amazon's windows music player recently went badly down hill access wise, and I never found the mobile ap much use.

Stupid amazon should do a better job with their help directions, and indeed their web interface.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2021-04-19 12:29:06

Well, there's a more tab in the ios app... didn't check if you could unsubscribe from something there, but you might want to try the mobile app again

2021-04-19 12:50:54

the mobile apps are very accessible

2021-04-19 13:34:31

I have to agree with 4 and 5.

Yesterday I thought I'd play with the app on windows 10 since it's finally out in Australia.

No idea when they released it here officially but there you go.

I found the windows app much more fiddly than the iOS version.

The iOS app isn't perfect, there's some unlabelled buttons on the home screen, but it is usable.

2021-04-19 13:38:06 (edited by Dark 2021-04-19 13:44:48)

I actually removed the mobile ap from my phone because I found it such a pain to use, and have been using the web interface for the past two and a half years, so would prefer another way round if possible than going through all the authorisation crap just to check if something is properly canceled.

why the hell Amazon can't just make their nicely accessible web interface properly functional, and have to go with all these stupid, inaccessible badly written crappy proprietary aps I don't know.

Heck for that matter, why can't you just change subscriptions within Alexa itself.

Probably the same reason they turned their accessible web music player into a spammy, inaccessible piece of shite, because they are stupid morons!

2021-04-19 14:03:54

Someone's... emotionally triggered, hey @Dark???
I'm honestly not even sure if you can cancel skill subscriptions through the UWP app, as only recently it gained the ability to call and message directly from it. So the iOS and Android app seems to be the sure-fire way to know.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2021-04-19 14:04:35

2 years is a long time in the tech world.

The app is much easier to use now.

A quick google brought up the following.

1. Open the Alexa app .
2. Open More and select Skills & Games.
3. Select Your Skills, then select the app with the subscription.
4. Select Manage Subscriptions.
5. If prompted, sign in to your Amazon account.
6. Turn off Autorenew or select End Subscription.

Seems like easy instructions to follow, I can do all of that easily enough, But I'm not subscribed to any skills so I can't test it out.

2021-04-19 15:07:13

To add to that, the only thing you need to do in the app is sign into your account. You don't need to authorize anything.

2021-04-20 05:14:43

yeah, the app is perfectly usable and accessible. Has been for literal years.

Take care, it's a desert out there.

2021-04-20 16:28:22

@11 is right, the android version is very nice to use as well