2021-04-18 22:36:00 (edited by Minionslayer 2021-04-18 22:41:49)

Yeah, it's a bit of a title and a half, but I'd like to report on... you guessed it.
Recently, I installed the latest Spotify update, to notice a quite drastic UI makeover (I think for the better). For people who have been driven away by Spotify's lack of accessibility in the past, you may wonna check this out.
1. A much cleaner Interface:
Many redundant/blank lines have been removed, resulting in a much cleaner, tidier (in most places, and we'll get to that).
You'll notice that the top bar in particular has had a redesign, and it's now where your account stuff resides.
Interestingly (and I can't tell if this is a bug in terms of accessibility or not) but there is now a dedicated play/pause button in the top menu too.
2. Context Menus:
Perhaps one of the biggest changes is that context menus have been adjusted so that they now feel familiar to, well... any other context menu you've seen. So you won't have to jump to the bottom of the window to access your options anymore.
3. Refinements to the Miniplayer:
If you enable Focus Mode over the Change progress icon and press Left and right, the position will actually change. This, however, does not hold true for the volume control for some reason. While we're on the subject of volume, the Ctrl+Shift+Up/Down shortcuts no longer work to adjust the volume to maximum and minimum values. Oh yeah, and you find the miniplayer above the track list, and  below your playlists.
4. The Track List:
With Focus Mode, you can now also press Left and Right to access specific details in different columns, allowing you to, for example, jump to a specific album. The artist column header is strangely absent though. Focus unfortunately has a tendency to jump randomly from track to track, and is difficult to access the beginning and end of the tracks in the list. A dropdown has also been added to choose your sorting method (as well as being able to click the relevant column header). They both adjust accordingly. This is, however, how you can sort by artist.

I'll note here that the Alt+Left/Right shortcuts to go back and forward through history no longer work, and there doesn't seem to be a way to achieve the same thing through the UI (unless you go through your history manually from the beginning).

Right, that's most of the significant accessibility improvements I've found.
Okay. Admittedly kind of a useless post, but hey! I've seen worse, and I need something to do, right?
Course, feel free to chime in with comments, suggestions, what have you.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2021-04-18 23:35:35

Hello there @Jason.
The keystroke is not control shift up and down arrows, but instead control up and down arrows to adjust the volume. It still works, and yeah I like this update quite a lot

Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and the life. he gives to the human being complete joy and happyness. Why don't you receive him today?

2021-04-18 23:44:13

@2
The key combination was CTRL+Shift+up/down, which allowed you to set the volume to the maximum and minimum values, respectively. After the update, it really doesn't work, but it's not too much of a loss.

My discord
Jitel#3538

2021-04-19 00:17:21

Sounds cool. I think they might be periodically rolling it out though, I heard of this like days ago but it didn't show as an update for me. It still doesn't, and reinstalling doesn't matter.

2021-04-19 01:00:21

I've heard that they plan to introduce the display of lyrics in the player in the desktop version of the app, so I'm looking forward to the next updates.

My discord
Jitel#3538

2021-04-19 01:17:47

You know, people have bashed the spotify client for, "lack of accessibility", but I have literally never had a problem with it in the 3+ years I've been using it.

It seems that common sense is a lost art. I am here as a special type of artist to bring that beauty back. If you don't like my work, prove that yours is better. Paint me a beautiful picture of life. Otherwise, I have no interest.

2021-04-19 01:49:20

Yeah I agree actually. It'll be nice if it gets even better, but I've been using it for half a year now and it's always been fine.

2021-04-19 02:40:09

@3, I'm telling you. The keystroke for controlling the volume is control up and down arrows, without the shift key. Its always been like that actually, I know it cuzz I use spotify everywhere, can't leave without smooth jazz and christian music haha

Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and the life. he gives to the human being complete joy and happyness. Why don't you receive him today?

2021-04-19 04:13:42

The shortcuts in question are the shortcuts that immediately set the volume to its maximum or minimum, not the shortcuts that change the volume incrementally. I don't have this version yet, but as I understand it those shortcuts still work.

2021-04-19 05:09:14 (edited by Jitel 2021-04-19 06:25:22)

Yeah, CTRL+up/down works perfectly in the new version.

My discord
Jitel#3538

2021-04-19 10:52:59

Yeah, I really, really don't understand what so many have against this app. Something like discord I can get, scrolling through messages is inconvenient at best, and it's not exactly stable at the best of times regardless, but spotify is fairly static in that regard, and well, it's an app for listening to music. Not saying I wouldn't take a GUI client, but for what it is, it works pretty much perfectly.

2021-04-19 11:55:22

So, two things here:
I don't have many problems with the Spotify desktop client either. Sure, you have to get used to some things, but largely, the client is OK. The only part I just can't figure out (which is the same in the IOS app) is whenever I try to read the overview for a podcast. There, I am having massive focus issues.

The second thing is actually a question: When the Spotify client was pre-installed on your Windows 10, does it update automatically? If not, what do I have to do?

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW

2021-04-19 12:53:27

@12 you should be able to get the updates from the MS store

2021-04-19 13:27:55 (edited by Orin 2021-04-19 13:28:30)

Recently Spotify deployed some new playlists... a decaides mix, genre mixes... while I have the new interface I for whatever reason do not have those new lists.

2021-04-19 13:53:53

@14: I don't know where to find them in the desktop client, but in the IOS app, you won't find them on the start tab, they are on the search tab. When you click on "made for you" (I guess that's what it says in english, only using the german interface) and you should see them.

Oh, and #freeGCW

2021-04-19 14:00:37 (edited by Minionslayer 2021-04-19 14:01:54)

@Orin, @Juliantheaudiogamer, This is also where you'll find these playlists on desktop. Invoke the search tab by clicking on it or pressing Ctrl+L, and scroll down until you find the Made for You heading.
To reiterate, the keyboard shortcuts to incrementally adjust volume for the playing track remains usable from Ctrl+Up/Down, but the keyboard shortcuts to jump to the volume to maximum and minimum values no longer works. Previously, you would have done this with Ctrl+Shift+Up/Down, as opposed to Ctrl+Up/Down.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2021-04-19 19:08:22

Can I select multiple songs out of order yet, so I can build my playlists
? All the other changes are really nice though.

Who am I? Simply me!

2021-04-19 21:08:52

So, I had one question about Spotify. Is it actually worth getting in the first place? What's the difference between regular Spotify and Premium. Is Spotify better than any of the other options that may be cheaper?
Sorry that this doesn't really fit in this topic as well as the other question, wasn't sure if I should make a new one or just use this one.

-----
Matthew's Horse Needs Your Support!
Discord: misterkrabs69

2021-04-20 08:04:46

Well, the advantages of premium are that you don't have ads, that you can skip songs without a limit and some others I can't remember right now.
When it comes to pricing, I think at least Apple Music costs the same as Spotify. I don't know about others though.
And if you're a student, you can get Spotify for half the price. Check their webite for that.

Oh, and #freeGCW

2021-04-20 15:29:16

If you plan to use Spotify only on your PC, you can easily live without premium. I did this for 3 years, while spotify was not available in my country. However, if you use it on your phone, premium will be very useful, as you will have unlimited flipping between tracks and you will be able to launch playlists not only in shuffle.
Other Premium features include the ability to download tracks and listen to them offline, the highest quality music, and the ability to work with additional services that require premium. For example, in Discord, you can listen to music together with your friend, who will control the process.

My discord
Jitel#3538

2021-04-20 15:43:52

@20: How would that work without using a bot?
And another premium feature would be to stream Spotify from your phone to a supported stereo setup.

Oh, and #freeGCW

2021-04-20 15:54:18

@21
If a person has spotify and Discord integration, and if they have allowed the current track to be displayed, then you can select the listen together option in their profile. After that, Spotify will open and you will hear everything that your friend hears. At least until you switch to another track yourself.

My discord
Jitel#3538

2021-04-20 16:10:50

you can also use Spotify with tvs if you also have the pro account

2021-04-20 18:24:03

You also gain the ability to download Spotifymedia for offline use within the Spotify app. I'd say it's the best, cheapest streaming service out there. You'll probably find Amazon Music for cheaper, but I don't like their UI, and the library isn't as big.

2021-04-23 01:53:13

Hi all,
Do you guys recommend me to switch to Apple Music? Is it better? I currently have Spotify with the student discount, but Apple Music offers me Apple TV plus and Apple Music for the same price. Plus, I have built my own little apple ecosystem and I think it'll work smoothly on those, as they're all apple. Also, I have a HomePod and am planning to buy another one to do the stereo pair, but it completely tires me to do airplay with my iPhone instead of just telling the damned speaker to play some music and controlling it natively with the app. Also, does that thing have something similar to Spotify Connect? it would be great it if had something like that, in fact that's actually why I've purchased a Spotify subscription in the first place. Also, does it sound better? I've heard that yes, as it's software and hardware it would, but I don't know. And last but not least, is it accessible, and, would I be able to transfer my current playlists to Apple Music?
Thanks.

Take care.
Mike.

I don't play games as much as I wish, but you can know that it's me if there's a John Weed over there. Ha ha!