2021-04-16 05:59:24

Ars Magica gets a lot of theoretical discussion on R/RPG at least once a month, if not once a week, and Mage... Naturally, being a White Wolf Game, it gets almost as much appreciation, but nowhere near as much theoretical discussion.

#FreeTheCheese
"The most deadly poison of our times is indifference. And this happens, although the praise of God should know no limits. Let us strive, therefore, to praise Him to the greatest extent of our powers." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

2021-04-16 17:08:21

Mage is just simply the most complicated game of the World of Darkness lineup. Ars Magica has a complex system all the way through. Mage was built on a relatively simple system. Ars is complicated all the way through. Though, it's complexity does have value most of the time, so I can't complain too much. I just wish I could find more games.

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

2021-04-16 19:11:30

Same here. Someone spoke of a play by post Discord thing? I'd appreciate if someone could post the link to that.

#FreeTheCheese
"The most deadly poison of our times is indifference. And this happens, although the praise of God should know no limits. Let us strive, therefore, to praise Him to the greatest extent of our powers." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

2021-04-17 09:07:11

Here is a link to the forum I used to play on:
https://www.thetangledweb.net/

I'm no longer very active there, but I'm part of their unofficial discord server. Send me a PM here or on the forum and I'll get you an invite to the server.

2021-04-17 16:46:21

Think the issue with mage is that it's really hard to run it without your players doing something to completely destroy the universe... in Session 1. Rituals are OP when your group takes advantage of being unknown and can safely cast together a ritual to survive on the moon and teleport there, and blow up the Earth.

For a good while, magic has always been an annoying concept to get balanced, ever since the early days of tabletop, where magic users could literally do anything, while a melee character could hit something 2-3 times. It was usualy the DM/GM's position to try to limit this type of insanity, and much harder when the game is literally, mages, the game.

The answer to your question is forum.audiogames.net/search

2021-04-17 16:53:23

Oh yeah, mage is a trip and a half. Thankfully, apparently Awakening fixes some of that, and Awakening 2E fixes the limitless ritual thing. Mages are still broken, but not at session one at least.

I have a website now.

2021-04-17 21:27:51

Sorry for the double post, but I found a demo of the Metacreator. It's a game management  software that  is typically used for Ars Magica, and  from what I can tell, it's accessible.  It has a couple of other systems as well. If anyone wants to double check my findings:
https://www.alteregosoftware.com/demos.php
This is only the demo. If things hold up here, I might go purchase the software myself. As well as potentially make Ars Magica one of my main stay games if I can.

I have a website now.

2021-04-18 23:50:03

Shadowrun is an amazing game but it is incredibly complicated. Then again, so are many of the others, until you get used to them. I've played nearly all editions of D&D but, TBH, I switched to Pathfinder when 4th Edition D&D came out and I've never looked back. I've played dozens of other RPGs as well because I've been interested in tabletop wargames and roleplaying games for around 30 years or so; I started listing them but realised it just sounded like bragging and became a list of incomprehensible names.

If accessibility is a problem, you can also buy Braille dice from https://64ozgames.com/. Maybe a bit expensive for some but once you have a set, you'll be good to go for pretty much any game you come across. They also sell accessibility kits for a range of mainstream card and board games. If you want to be able to join your friends in reading rules and backgrounds and creating your own characters, check out Drivethrurpg.com. It sells PDFs of literally thousands of different RPG systems, many of them free.

2021-04-19 00:52:07

oh yeah, got to say that pathfinder 2e is one of the easier character creation processes to follow. It also makes a bit more sense.

2021-04-19 16:09:43

Hmm, yeah, 4E D&D was...A game. That being said, I've not looked too closely at pathfinder. It just strikes me as 3.5 again. Probably some quality of life adjustments. I don't know. How's 2E differ?

I have a website now.

2021-04-20 12:04:54

I still mostly play 1st edition Pathfinder. It is pretty much D&D 3.5 but it's a bit more streamlined in certain ways. Pathfinder 2E, as far as I'm aware, brings the game a little more in line with D&D 5th. I think there are a few changes to give more access to certain useful skills across the board.

2021-04-20 14:10:54

I almost started to learn PF, but then Cyberpunk RED dropped and it stole my interest.

2021-04-21 19:43:34

Hmm. Yeah, I've been more interested in things that aren't D&D/PF due to class limitations. It's been hard to look at that sort of thing the same way after World of Darkness, Ars Magica,  and Mutants and Masterminds.

I have a website now.