2021-04-18 10:55:27

hello everyone!
Some month ago I have asked here for a dvice on what to do in terms of university.
Yesterday the calculation table for the final exam results has been published and so I could study it.

I have taken three courses into account:
* Computer science: This is something I dream of since being a child, but what worried me is the "weight" of mathematics for applying. A weight is a multiplier of the result from a given subject on the final exam (Example below).
Let's assume that I can get 100 points on my math exam. I solve the test and get 60 points. Now when applying for university, my result is multiplied by the weight of the subject (3 in this case) and so I get 180 university points.
All other subjects on the exam have the weight of 1, so math is crucial for it. And as I have stated here before, I have a problem with math because I could never find a good teacher up to now.
* Sinology: Another subject I would love to study!
Here the situation is that English has the weight of 3, Polish the weight of 2 and everything else has the weight of 1, except of math which has no meaning in this case.
* Russian philology: Therecruiting conditions are same as for SInology.

Now there are three paths I can take
The most optimistic one is that I manage to take part in the computer science study.
But in case not I can either study Sinology or Russian philology, or study two subjects at the same time.
Here it works in such a way that first we choose our main subject (mine would be Sinology), and after a year we can choose another one (Russian Philology in my case).
I wonder what are your thoughts about that?

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2021-04-18 17:51:00

Math really, really isn't too bad in terms of CS, at least in this country. You're not likely to need much of it, beyond the very basic understanding that all half way decent programmers have anyway, unless you're taking very, very specific courses of study.

2021-04-18 18:15:08 (edited by leibylucw 2021-04-18 18:16:57)

Typically, you'd take up to at least calc 2 and maybe linear algebra and/or differential equations if you're going the CS path. In addition to your run of the mill math classes, you'll also have some form of discrete math and then formal methods which is a theoretical class which hinges on discrete math concepts.
Before deciding what to do, it really comes down to what you want out of your education; more specifically, what do you want to do after you graduate with a degree? If it's something to do with linguistics or the humanities at large, you'd certainly want to go with the sinology/philology path. If it's something to do with software engineering, development, etc, then go for the CS degree.
Some schools may even let you design your own degree, usually referred to as an interdisciplinary degree which caters to your interests and strengths. Pursuing this option would allow you to pick classes from all three fields and mash them into one degree. The drawback to this is that it could interfere with your eligibility for scholarships, internships, and even permanent positions, but that depends heavily on how institutions evaluate their candidates. For example, if you were applying for a software engineering position but your degree read something like "Humanities and Computer Science," that may not be something the institution qualifies as strictly CS and therefore prohibits you from applying to such opportunities.
My best advice would be to establish what you want long-term out of pursuing university-level education. Don't do it just to do it, especially if it means going into debt.

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2021-04-18 18:41:17

Hello,
@2 I am not afraid about the math on CS itself, just the math I need to take on my final exams, which is a lot of Geometry.
@3 I want to either develop software tor translate from Chinese. I just try to evaluate what will be more lucrative and so what would give me money. Hobbies can be thought about later

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2021-04-18 19:55:59

Well I wouldn't overcomplicate things to much.
For me school wasn't that good as far as getting into university from that end.
My skills and independance course I did at a blind school which was again patchy did at least earn me a scholarship into one of the main ones.
But with all that asside, you need to check what support system they have.
For me it was a central department, if there was a problem the tutors would say they couldn't teach me because they didn't know how to handle the blind, they contact the office they sort it or find out how to.
That also applies to myself.
You are monitered and have meetings regularly.
In another smaller place I was doing radio broadcasting in, there was no support, no reader or helper, no acomodations, no scanning, no access, nothing.
I however was going with a friend and both of us were doing the same course.
I had a scanner to scan my own documents, and a recorder that recorded classes to mp3 for later listening.
It wouldn't have worked if I didn't have either of these things though.
Its certainly easier with a centralised support office though you will have to do some of the work yourself.
That was in 2002 though a different time.
The world hadn't ended yet.
Today, the world has ended and a new one is in its place.
A lot of stuff is online and not all of that will be accessible.
No idea how the support systems work either.