2021-04-17 22:54:03

Hi folks,
I know this is an odd topic, but if somebody has a set of those old JFW training cassettes from the 3.X - 4.X days, I would like to buy them.
I like preserving vintage ephemera, and I remember learning from these tapes as a child. It would be fascinating to hear them again and reflect on just how far we've come in the last 20 years.
If you have these and would be willing to part with them for some cash, please let me know.
Thanks.

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2021-04-18 00:20:07

Haha. I remember those too, and still wonder where that music in them was from. It had to be from a production library unless it was made just for those tapes.

2021-04-18 00:46:40

I think Jake Gross's site has thoes digitally wripped

devin

2021-04-18 01:53:22

I found his site and found the 3.7 rips there.
It'd still be cool to find actual tapes though. They are something I'd be interested in having in my collection.

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2021-04-18 03:34:13

Even with the digital rips, nothing beats having the actual tapes. As for having them, I have the 4.5 training tapes, though my colection is incomplete as the first tape got murderized by the tapedeck (this particular deck has a different button for eject that was not the stop button). So you'd probably want them off of someone who has a preservable first tape. The floopy drive I had was considerably brutal to the license diskette as well, as it started to grind on the disk right after a failed activation. Alas, JAWS 5.0 was an update disk that required the license for 4.5 to be properly authorized for it to work. The only preservable disk I have in that collection is JAWS 6.0 that I was able to get licensed in Windows 95/98, and I'll have to assess the legality of preserving unsupported versions of JAWS as it would be nice to have copies of those systems with licensed screen-readers available. There's Hal5.1, but, you know. Options.

2021-04-18 05:21:07

Somewhere I have an image of a Jaws 7.0 Pro authorization disk. I might even still have my JAWS 3.2 authorization disk, and possibly somewhere my JAWS 2.0 disks for Windows 3.1. Quella authorization disks are easily imaged by programs which can read bad sectors. JAWS 2.0 used a copy protection system called Everlock, and I never did find a program that could copy or image it.

2021-04-18 05:32:03

@Jack: How badly eaten was the first tape?

2021-04-18 07:22:55

@Trajectory: Looks like the whole damn tape got unwound. This particular deck made the mistake of having the eject button and the stop button different, and as a result the tape pretty much fully unraveled. If it's beyond a simple rewind job now that a significant portion of the tape is pretty much out of the reel, not to mention probably bent, it's pretty much unrecoverable. There's a rip of the 4.5 tapes online but it happens to not be the copy I have, considering the intro tape on the digital rip doesn't have the music cut-in.

2021-04-18 07:30:33

Wait... did this just happen today?
Do you still have the damaged tape?

2021-04-18 17:33:59

No, it happened a few years ago.

2021-04-18 20:08:34

I'm pretty sure I got rid of mine, but I'll look. I used to have the whole set and if I still do, it will be fine other than any potential deterioration from just sitting around, I hardly used them. Don't get your hopes up, like I said I'm pretty sure we got rid of them when we moved.

2021-04-18 21:42:18

@11 please send me an email if they turn up.

2021-04-19 00:04:33

were these tapes the ones recorded by MR. Henter? or these ones were recorded by Dan Clark.
I'm trying to grab the basic training for JFW 3.3 that's in th Jake's website, but for some unknown reason after some time downloading, my browser decides to abort the download

Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and the life. he gives to the human being complete joy and happyness. Why don't you receive him today?

2021-04-19 00:48:39

Please rip them... I'd like to get JAWS for dos working with word perfect and what not.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2021-04-19 02:51:50

This is interesting! I was checking FS website from 2001 at the internet archive, and happened to check at their catalog since I'm a huge fan of going back in time and listening to recs and what not. It seems like they used to sell basic training on tape and on floppy disks about using JAWS with various apps; it would be quite interesting if somebody already have such material; heck, I'm not a JAWS user any more, neither I actually am planning to go back to JAWS, but I loved listening to these stuff and, if its from the 90s and  all that, even better.
Here is a curiossity: did you know that Freedom scientific used to sell the Victor reader itself?

Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and the life. he gives to the human being complete joy and happyness. Why don't you receive him today?

2021-04-19 03:07:35

Yeah, the victor reader looked and functioned more like  a walk man back in it's early days. It didnt actually get it's signature shape with the key pad and handle and front loading  drive until the Victor Reader Pro. The pro was the only one with a tray based drive similar to laptops and some mainstream players.FS also sold the APH Scholar and a few other Visuaid magnifiers.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2021-04-19 03:12:23

Funny thing is, I think I have one of those Victor reader Walkman things. I can’t figure out how to get it to work and never could, but I think I might try again.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2021-04-19 04:16:29 (edited by Ghost 2021-04-19 04:17:15)

Well, I had a jaws 4.51 disk, and the tapes that came along with it. I think there were iether two or three of them. God knows what happened to all that though. Doesn't FS's website have tape rips? I remember it having at least jaws 4.0 or so.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2021-04-19 06:15:51

nah, that was back in the day.
Heck, before FS was aquired by VFO, they even had a place were you could download old JAWS versions, and even a copy of win board. Afterwards that stuff is no longer available, at least not from them any more.
Unless I'm missing something, they've got rid of all the old stuff from their website.

2021-04-19 06:36:30

I have a copy of Dectalk 4.2 in a software speak window form. I just need to reacquire the right version of Windows NT to run it. Dectalk 4.2 is the version used on the Express, and is the one least commonly available in software form. None of the screen-reader distributions of access32 used it.

2021-04-19 09:06:10

@20, did I read that correctly? I thought 4.3 was the first version to be available in software form.
Where did you find this?

2021-04-19 10:14:51

@21: This is very off-topic, but I just browsed through your site and for many entries, I can't find descriptions so I don't know what some of this stuff even is. Could you please add them? Then it would be easier to find what you're looking for without knowing the exact file name.

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW

2021-04-19 18:34:07

@18, wanna sell those tapes?
Are they a complete set?

2021-04-19 23:16:40

I really like to listen to jaws stuff. if anyone has rips, please send them.

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2021-04-20 00:12:45

If @Ghost is willing to sell his tapes to me, I'll digitize them.