2021-04-16 17:50:26

Been about a year for me due to the pandemic, and I'm going crazy with the hair I have. Normally I get a pretty short buzz cut with a fade, but my girlfriend's aesthetician friend seems pretty confident that I can slap a #2 guard on some clippers and at least give myself a buzz cut, probably minus the fade. She's offered to help clean up anything I've missed, and given that a buzz cut isn't particularly complex, I'm hopeful that I can manage. But I thought I'd see if anyone here has done this before, and if so, do you have any tips?

The guard should ensure that everything is uniform length, and I should be able to run my hand through what's left and find any bits I've missed. I'm a bit worried about sideburns, though. I can probably rest my hand on my ears, sort of grab my head between my thumb and forefinger, and use that as a guide if I need a shorter guard to clean up the sides and back.

I wouldn't be attempting this if both my GF and our friend weren't on deck to help me clean it up. But given how simple my cuts are, if I can minimize the amount of cleanup I need, then maybe I can do this post-pandemic too. Thought I'd see if anyone here has done this and could suggest anything that might help.

Thanks.

2021-04-16 18:38:48

I use a plastic dish pan to collect the hair. Like the ones you get when you have one large sink rather than a divided one. I just go all around, and yeah there will be stuff I find later and I would normally get my brother to clean it up. I have someone now, and he's not scared shitless to operate so I go to him.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-04-16 19:04:55

I've cut my own hair in a manner similar to this a few times. I'm detail-oriented, and I was told by several sighted friends and family members that I did a pretty good job. The first time I did it, I told my dad, and he said he'd get my stepmom to clean it up when he saw me next. She took a look, got right up close, probably stared at me for a few seconds, and said, "It's not perfect, but it's pretty good". She then got a pair of scissors, did about fifteen seconds of touch-up, and it was done. Frankly, I'd noticed it myself, but wasn't sure how much it showed or how much I cared. And the second time, she didn't even say that much; she just took a look and said it looked fine. I mean, it was just a plain cut, nothing fancy whatsoever, but at that point I didn't care.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2021-04-16 20:47:25

@2 Dish pan? You mean like a bowl? Sorry if I'm dense, just trying to imagine.

@3 Do you mean you use a method like @2, or like the one I'm proposing?

Thanks all, even though I have cleanup help, I'm a bit nervous about this. smile Glad to know others have done it.

2021-04-16 21:26:08

A black, flimsy plastic rectangular deep pan that you use for washing dishes. You can get them at the dollar store. If you don't have something you can capture the hair in, just use the floor and sweep it into a dust pan and throw it away.

It's pretty easy. The whole point of there being a guard is that it only lets the hair that's long enough anywhere near the blade. You just go slow. Don't do it with wet hair. If it's pulling, you are either going too fast, or you need to stop and clean out the blade. If you have clippers with a set screw on the side, try making fine adjustments one way, then the other, and see if that helps. Only do this if it's not cutting well, and nothing else works though.

End racism
End division
Become united

2021-04-16 21:54:01

Ah, gotcha. Sorry, when I wrote "cleanup," I meant cleaning up any mistakes I leave behind. I'm not worried about the actual cleaning of the floor, as I can get help with that.

Thanks.

2021-04-16 22:55:15

cut it in the bathtub, and collect all the hair into a bag.  That will confine the hair into a relatively small place and make it easy to pick up.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2021-04-16 23:45:29

Hell no, do not cut it in the bath tub. Not unless you have a solid drain plug and you need to make sure to get every last little bit out of there before you pull the plug or it'll reek havoc with the drain, clogging it up and making it run slowly.

End racism
End division
Become united

2021-04-17 01:09:45

yeah, bathtub is a terrible idea.  If you want to do that you had better make sure the tub is 100% bone dry and that you have a shopvac or something.  Hair down the drain is not something you want to deal with.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2021-04-17 05:25:21

thing is though if you get all the clumps of hair, the tiny spec sized hairs that might remain aren't big enough to accumulate in the drain.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2021-04-17 06:56:20

@10
Yes, they are.  If you have a big drain or don't do this frequently you might get away with it, but shower drains aren't designed for large volumes of solid matter, and these sorts of clogs build up over time.  Sending a haircut worth of hair down it isn't a good idea, no matter how small it is.  Given that using a vacuum is trivial and using a drain augur is disgusting and definitely not trivial, this isn't a general solution.  You're just getting lucky that it works for you.

My Blog

2021-04-17 08:09:14 (edited by Ghost 2021-04-17 08:10:51)

Well the drain in my apartment is a bit different than most I've seen. The top plug doesn't come completely off,  so water drains below the  plug to the sides. I still think  its good to confine the mess, and nothing stopping anyone from vacuming the smaller area of the bathtub if they're overly concerned about hair.  But people shave in the shower, or the sink  and  all the time, and if you get rid of hair big enough to make clumps, it  really is a nonissue and not any different than the mess of regular shaving. I wasn't advocating letting it all go down, which wouldn't happen and would be a disaster, but was saying its possible to clean up and pick up all the big clumps, basicly 98% of the mess where the rest isn't a problem.

2021-04-17 08:39:19

Lol, at risk of being captain irrelevant here, I'm rather pleased with the length of my pony tail currently.

I have had one a couple of times before, and only cut it because a director told me it was okay for performing in the pirates of Penzance, but wouldn't do for other productions, then again since performance opportunities are none existent in this crappy country even before the pandemic, that doesn't exactly matter too much.

People say it suits me, then again, I'm careful about taking care of it, since I have rather a lot of hair and it does tend to tangle if I don't use the right sort of conditioner and hair brush.

Just call me Khal Darko big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2021-04-17 15:34:28

Every bit of hair that goes down the drain is a problem. It may not be today, nor tomorrow, but it will be in the future. The only thing that's meant to go down the drain is water.

End racism
End division
Become united

2021-04-17 16:54:27

there is a thing called a p-trap in your drain.  Basically a u-shape where the water goes down and then back up.  You can send whatever you want down the drain for a while, but it will build up in the bottom of the p-trap.  Once that fills up enough, you've got a problem.  Size doesn't matter.  The only drain I'd send solid stuff down is the kitchen sink and that only with the garbage disposal and even then not if there's a better choice available to you.

My Blog

2021-04-17 17:31:24 (edited by Ghost 2021-04-17 17:32:57)

14, alot of other  stuff  always  unavoidably will go down  the drain, dirt from things  like shoes or clothes you would wash before putting those in a machine, long hair   people who have long hair and shower, skin etc. The tinier stuff wouldn't stick in the trap and mingle with the water and go down. While long hair etc would probably accumulate there, its  unlikely stuff like sand grains or millimeter sized hair would ever pose a problem. But anyone concerned about that can just plug it up, or cover the bathtub with newspapers and drop all the mess onto the papers and throw them away along with the hair.

2021-04-17 17:43:30

This is a stupid argument to be having lol. It's not rocket science what happens when hair goes down a drain. Even if you plug it, you'd have to be sure to clean all of it up before you pull the plug. And no, those levers below the faucets aren't enough.

Let go of this one, you gave bad advice. You were wrong, it's not the end of the world, but quit stubbornly sticking to it like it's the only thing you have to keep you above water.

Christ, my uncle is a plumber. I could text him about the advisability of doing this, but it shouldn't be necessary.

End racism
End division
Become united

2021-04-17 20:58:33

No I did not give bad advice, and wheres your plumber certification to make that statement? I never  advocated just cramming your  entire head of hair down that drain, and anyone who actually tried that is an idiot. I was saying small amounts of hair, very small amounts clear. At least 95% of men, likely more shave over the sink, not on newspapers on the floor,  and they're fine because you collect any large amount of it. If you pick up all the mess,  anything left in your bathtub will be much less than the leftovers of the beard mess, not to mention your tub has a much bigger pipe and drain.

2021-04-17 21:18:15

Yes you did give bad advice. And have I ever claimed to be a plumber? Thought not. It's good to see your prestigious advanced degree taught you how to argue. I'm glad the healthy debate spirit is still alive in you tongue.

Seriously, get over yourself. You just make yourself look more and more silly for each thread you speak in.

End racism
End division
Become united

2021-04-17 22:05:52

I'm thinking about trying to cut my hair outside where the wind will pretty much just take it away.
I'm not sure how long it would take to break down in the elements, but surely not long?

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2021-04-17 22:18:49

Outside is good. I heard that birds and other creatures will take your hair and use it for their nests.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2021-04-18 04:37:07

19, you, without even an iota of college education are the last person on earth to  judge an advanced degree, so shut the fuck up and sit down. This is a forum not a thesis defense, so I adjust my tone to match the intelligence level and education of the person I communicate with. In other words, I dumb it down.
I  did not give bad advice as you seem to think. I just provided the solution that I and every family member I know implements successfully. Fun fact, in Europe bathrooms are wet rooms, so people often cut hair by sitting on the closed toilet and then picking up the mess and washing the floors and letting anything remaining wash down the floor drains. Noone I know ever had a  clog and that was what those floor drains were basicly designed in mind for.

2021-04-18 11:04:00

My general understanding of this is simple.
When you shower, you will sometimes lose strands of hair. You're not losing it in clumps, but you're still losing it. This is true of both the hair on your head and the hair on your body. Normally, you don't even think about it, and it just washes down the drain. Dead skin and lint also do this.
Emptying your P-trap is a good idea from time to time, for sure, especially if you have a lot of hair or are not careful about what goes down your drain. However, it seems to me that individual hairs, or tiny groups of hairs, will be washed down the drain, then up and out of the P-trap, via simple physics. Build-up can happen, but I think those who are representing this problem as dire are...maybe overselling it a bit.
No, you should not just cut your hair in the bathtub and let all the hair go down the drain. That's an excellent way to get a clog, and those fuckers are pernicious. But if you put a plug in the drain and wanted to cut your hair while standing or sitting in the tub, then made sure to get most of the hair out of the tub before pulling the plug, I'm sure you'd be fine.
Fun fact: I have been living in my apartment for seven years. I'll be honest, and tell you I've never actually emptied my P-trap, though I definitely should. My bathtub drains fairly quickly, and I haven't noticed any slowdown during the seven years I've been here. I have cut my hair while in the tub before. Ostensibly, seven years of hair and god knows what else should be clogging my P-trap, but it's not...at least not enough to cause me difficulty right now. Again, I'm not saying you should let whatever stuff you want go down your drain, but I think Ghost actually has more of the right of this, even if I think the argumentative tone isn't helping anyone (and no, that's not just Ghost either).

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2021-04-18 15:04:51

Excuse me little boy? What did you say? Oh, nothing of note, yeah that's fine, keep walking around with a chip on your shoulder a mile wide and see where that gets you. I advise you to sit the fuck down, shut the fuck up and have a long, careful think before you ever address me in that manner again because I won't hesitate to fuck your day up.

End racism
End division
Become united

2021-04-18 17:41:06 (edited by haily_merry 2021-04-18 17:42:29)

Yeah, the tone of Enes's last message just fucked me right off. However valid your point may or may not have been, my dad is a plummer, BTW, he knows these things a hell of a lot better than you do, waving around your college education in an effort to make those around you appear somehow inferior is about as low as it gets for me. Clearly your oh so great college education didn't teach you too much about common human decency, now did it?