2021-04-11 17:08:12

I am in the process of developing a mobile audio game where you are trapped in a dungeon and have to find your way out. It will be populated by enemies that you will have to fight against. I am wondering what are your favourite methods for attacking an enemy in an audio mobile game? Any games as reference would be greatly appreciated.

I was thinking of the following:
1. Melee weapons - hear the enemy and touch the screen to attack in that direction. You will hear if the attack was too far to the left or right to adjust for your next attack.

2. Long range weapons - Hold your finger on the screen and move it. When you hear the enemy let go to fire. The enemy will move around the screen.

2021-04-11 17:19:58

Hello,

Welcome on the forums! This sounds really cool but to be honest We don't have that good action games for mobile devices so it is hard to compare your idea to something.

Your ideas sounds good but I am still waiting for real game where you are moving your character around the map, attack / defend / parry / block in real-time (I am so sorry, I am still addicted to the Hades even, if it's not for mobile haha)

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2021-04-11 17:36:58

Thanks Lurin, Yes, maybe I didn't explain it too well.  I already have the walking around the maze working well. You swipe up down left or right to move. Then you hear if you hit into a wall or move successfully. When you run into an enemy then you will "attack". For this I am thinking more turn based type action but I'm still pretty open to suggestions at the moment.

2021-04-11 17:54:40

Hi Brad and welcome to the forum.

It depends upon what type of game you're developing, if you mean your game to be similar to a turn based rpg, then it wil be the battle system itself that will provide the difficulty.

If your meaning this to be more of an arcade/action title, then you need to setup your action in such a way as to be interesting to play and require judgement from the part of the player, not merely a repeat of a bopit style, hear it, hit it  type of gameplay which we've all seen before.

Either of the systems you mention could be employed in such a way, with the player having to judge a monster's position and guess its movement speed relative to their attacks I'd say, especially if there is a maze, and dungeon exploring  element as well.

As to good game examples on Ios, while we've got hopes for sonar islands, sadly a lot of the better Ios titles like the somethinelse games have been demolished by the apple development monster.
Feer is absolutely worth a play, since while it is! a fast action, arcade avoid as much as possible game, its probably the single best iteration of such a game on the platform.

You might also have a look at tank battle endless gunner as well, which employs some interesting tilt mechanics and requires the player's judgement.

Hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2021-04-11 20:11:58

Hey Brad. So, first of all, thank you for making your first game accessible. Not very many game developers do that, so we appreciate it. OK, onto my idea. So if you’re going for more of a turn-based battle system I think your attacking idea is pretty good. However, it would be cool if you had to Parry monsters attacks when it was their turn. For example right before they swung at you, you could hear an audio sound, and you would have to tap the screen to Parry their attack. You could even take it a little bit further by giving monsters combo attacks that they could use so you had to tap the screen to Parry up to five or more attacks.

2021-04-11 20:34:28

Hello and welcome to the forum!

It would be cooler in my opinion if it wasn't a turn-based combat system, because I think that would be more difficult to make interesting.
But good luck with the game, whichever mechanic you decide on!

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW

2021-04-11 23:05:01

if you need help in terms of sound design (not music) i can give you  a hand, many people also can do that  in ths community but just wanted to say it myself.
in terms of mechanics though, you can do intrestingthings. for  instance, tapping the bottom of the screen can let you duck to help  you avoid sertain kinds of attacks, for example a fire stream well , if the monsters have that of course.
by swiping left and right, you can maybe turn and attack by swiping upwards

2021-04-12 04:08:46

Thank you all for your input. Some great ideas. I'm going to prototype them and see how they work.

2021-04-12 12:42:53

Hi,
Have you considered a system like Infinity Blade? We haven't really had that in audio yet. I love how you can dodge to a side, or block with a shield and then combo away, however you can't just combo constantly. There's also magic and super attacks by tapping the left or right sides of the screen. For magic, you have to draw spells. There are different weapons some do more damage than others. Also, I wouldn't consider Infinity Blade like bop it. There's more strategy because I think there's weaknesses and stuff, I could be wrong though.

2021-04-12 13:00:57

sounds like you're going to do something along the lines of entombed for IOS if that's the case count me in. give us loads of game play a lot of hours of exploration etc because i hate games that are short.

2021-04-12 14:34:00

Oh yeah, Infinity blade! My favourite seriees for IOS and that would be super cool if someone could do something in that way. SUper fast action with combos, dodging system, magic etc.

Twitter
Add me on Steam

2021-04-12 15:30:57

Yeah, infinity blade style combat would be really cool, especially because enemies would perform all sorts of attacks against you, like shield bashes, sword slashes, kicks, punches, and other things. Also, all enemies and bosses have unique combos and super combos called fury chains.

2021-04-12 16:43:00

You also have the option of utilizing the gyroscope. Check out something like blindfold juggle which uses this functionality. Unfortunately, audio defense, which would have been what I recommended you try, is no longer available.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2021-04-12 16:55:53 (edited by amerikranian 2021-04-12 16:56:30)

I recommend trying a Blind Legend for an idea of what not to do in combat. It works, but it is rather simplistic. Perhaps you could incorporate Key's idea of a gyroscope into the combat, making you turn to face your enemies as they move?

2021-04-12 20:57:43

keyIsFull wrote:

You also have the option of utilizing the gyroscope. Check out something like blindfold juggle which uses this functionality. Unfortunately, audio defense, which would have been what I recommended you try, is no longer available.

I looked up a youtube video on audio defense. It looked really cool. It said you turned physically towards the direction to shoot but there was also a swipe way of interacting with it if you are sitting down. I am wondering was it just swipe until you hear the enemy in front of you? That is something I never really thought of. I might have a little play around with that idea.

2021-04-12 20:58:57

amerikranian wrote:

I recommend trying a Blind Legend for an idea of what not to do in combat. It works, but it is rather simplistic. Perhaps you could incorporate Key's idea of a gyroscope into the combat, making you turn to face your enemies as they move?

Yes, I didn't like Blind Legend's combat system at all. It just seemed confusing to me.

2021-04-12 21:12:04

@Brads Games just imagine normal turning system like in video games on the screen with virtual gamepad (which We lack a lot in games) Basically gyroscope is not for me. I prefer playing sitting and concentrating than turning around like a crazy looking like a weird guy. tongue

Twitter
Add me on Steam

2021-04-12 21:29:13

Yeah, using the gyroscope would be pretty cool for Long range weapons. Although, it would also be really cool if maybe you could use it with melee weapons, or you had to swing your phone in the direction of a creature to hit it or to Parry attacks. I don’t think any mobile game that I’ve seen has done that.

2021-04-14 10:20:03

Lirin wrote:

@Brads Games just imagine normal turning system like in video games on the screen with virtual gamepad (which We lack a lot in games) Basically gyroscope is not for me. I prefer playing sitting and concentrating than turning around like a crazy looking like a weird guy. tongue

Yes, I'm with you, I find the gyroscope fun at first but kind of gimicky. It's quite hard to control accuratly. I like this idea though.

Actually I want to make different weapons each with a different way of interacting, then people can pick which weapon they like. Having said that each time you have a new way of interacting I have to explain how it works to the player, that can be a little tricky.

2021-04-14 12:24:52

Well, just put the options for everyone no matter what weapon you are using. Gyro for me as you said is jjust an experimental fun fact for a while but it never worked for me for longer sessions and more towards fun play.

Twitter
Add me on Steam