2021-04-12 01:43:42

Hi,
I have read and read multiple threads on multiple sites, and still can't get entombed to actually run on my computer.
I'm on an Asus 2019 Computer I'm not sure at the moment the model number, its a lap top for gaming with separate ram card for graphics if that matters, and I have installed entombed multiple times without issue, however upon attemptint to run the .exe file, in either admin or regular mode, nothing happens. I don't mean I get an error message, I don't get a can't run message I mean I press enter on run, or run as admin, or open, and their are litteraly crickets in the back ground mocking my inability to open the program.
I have double checked installed sql's, I'm running everything that was suggested to have to run the game, sql's are all 3.5 p2 not 1, I have direct x and I even tried finding older versions of direct x 9 but only downloaded cab files which I don't know what to do with.
I have also gotten someone to send me the xip of the game instead of installing, and no matter what I do I get the same results of nothing not even an error message on windows side.
Please, if anyone knows why this is happening or has suggestions, I would greatly appriciate it.
I am so frustrated, because overall this is one of my favorite games and I miss having it availabe to play even casually every blue moon.

don't look back, cause you'll loose the road ahead.

2021-04-12 01:53:56

Hi,
You need older .net framework 4.0, as well as SQL 3.5 both 32 and 64 bit., as well as direct X  optional components.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2021-04-12 01:56:51

As I stated, I have sql 3.5, and downloaded direct x 9, however I don't know what to do with the cab files. I can't figure out how to check my dot net framework but when I try installing it says I already have it. again if you can let me know what specificly I am looking for to check if it is already installed, or how to make sure when installing it is in the right place that would help, as I have done litteraly everything everyone says on all posts I can find but still nothing runs. I just need more specific information as I know how to check for individual components however without knowing what I am looking for I can't make sure its actually installed or not.

2021-04-12 02:02:12

I get this specificly when installing dot net 4,
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 is already a part of this operating system.  You do not need to install the .NET Framework 4 redistributable. <A HREF="http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=164207">More information</A>.
and these are the two files I ran for sql 3.5, the 32 bit
SSCERuntime_x86-ENU
followed by the 64 bit
SSCERuntime_x64-ENU
I'm totaly unsure how to install the direct x components, other then running the installation which gave me everything from 2005 to 210 in cab files inside of individual folders per release.

2021-04-12 03:23:39 (edited by Chris 2021-04-12 03:26:03)

Try creating a new user account. Go to the rundialog and type netplwiz followed by enter. In this dialog, choose the add button and create a new user account. Choose the option to sign in without a Microsoft account and then select local user. It shouldn't matter if it's an admin or standard user, the important thing is to create a new user account to see if the issue is linked to files in your current user profile. Log into this new user account and run Entombd. If it runs, there's something wrong with something in your user account. Does anyone know where else the program stores data besides the current user Documents folder? You may also want to email Jason directly. Send an email to evildingo at gmail.com, replacing the word at with the symbol.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2021-04-12 03:54:34

Hi,
The normal entombed installer launches the direct x installer, it doesn't download cab files, just a bunch of other things. the 1.2 version uses .net framework 3.5,  which isn't a part of 10 by default. Enable framework 3.5 through windows add features. Entombed also uses windows media player and you need that installed also check windows features to make sure it is.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2021-04-12 05:19:20 (edited by Chris 2021-04-12 05:29:04)

On a clean install of Windows, running the Entombed installer should download all the necessary components automatically. It sounds like you already have all that installed, so it might be an issue with your user account specifically. Try the method I outlined above for creating a new local user account and let us know if it works. If you don't have the 1.05B Test version, here's the link.
http://blind-games.com/newentombed/EntombedSetup.exe

Some other things to try which may or may not help include checking Windows Update under Settings>Update and Security>Windows Update and installing everything there, uninstalling and reinstalling the SQL 3.5 SP2 Compact components from Programs and Features, and running a system file check. In order to do this, open the run dialog and type cmd. Before pressing enter, hold down control and shift and then press enter. This will run the command prompt in administrator mode. From here, type sfc /scannow and press enter. It will perform a check of your system files and make sure they're okay. You can also try installing the Jim Kitchen games from agarchive.net. This installs DirectX and the Visual Basic runtime which may or may not help either. As has been said earlier, make sure Windows Media Player is enabled under optionalfeatures. In the run dialog, type optionalfeatures and hit enter. Find the Media Features item in the tree view and expand it. Check the box for Windows Media Player if it's unchecked and choose the OK button to install it. If Windows Media Player isn't installed, you'll get a failed to play the song error. This one confused me for a while until someone told me it was linked to Windows Media Player.

I'm not sure what else to tell you aside from clean installing Windows or contacting Jason. This game is a pain in the ass to get working, and I suspect the reason I don't have trouble is due to periodically clean installing Windows.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2021-04-12 06:01:04

Ok, I've followed your check list.
I made a new user like you stated, same thing, no go on the program running. this was after downloading the linked version 1.05B.
Then I looked at windows features, windows media player is already enabled, but I had to check the 2 options under the .net3.5 option at the top of my list, they were not checked and the 3.5 check box was only partially checked.
I also did  a system scan as you said,
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.                                                     
That is what I got at its conclusion.
I have kitchens inc games, and they work just fine, I ran them again to confirm. no issues with the program running or the sounds playing.
I checked windows update, only a new 2021 update appeared and under optional features an asus thing as well as 2 intel things I have no idea what they did accept something about intel, updated the normal stuff without the optional features and restarted my computer.
Still, no go either on the admin user or the no info user, the program doesn't run, give an error or anything of the sort. I tried running it in compatability mode, no go.
The last thing I will do now is to uninstall the sql files from add remove, and reinstall them, I can't imagine what else to try at this point.
I do not see .net3.5 or any of its other spelling configurations in the add remove window, however I do see microsoft xna or whatever the other component for this is, and I have multiple versions of it, as well as multiple version of visual c listed.
Hopefully all of this info helps possibly fix the issue, I will report after I uninstall and reinstall the SQL programs.

2021-04-12 06:06:53

Hallelujah!
This computer must have had some defunct version of the sql installed when I got it, or who knows what, but after completely removing the 2 from add remove and reinstalling them, bam I got the game running!
I never thought I would get this running hahaha. Thanks guys a bunch!