2021-04-05 23:26:16

Hi all!
I'm currently creating a game called 7 days in hell. This will be a textbased game, where you play as Jon Blake, 37 year old man, who is the murderer and he was sendet to hell on 7 days. You can ask here, give suggestions, and more. Currently, the game is in an alpha state. If you want, I can post here primitiv version, based on old engine, but I will change it, because current engine isn't supporting battle system and items.

ice, fire, water, thunder.

2021-04-05 23:39:50

Good luck with it mate. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-04-06 06:26:37

it can be a fun game, keep it up!

2021-04-06 07:20:03

Scary sounds and music would make the game real nice.

2021-04-06 07:54:32

supported, supported!  in spite of having audio games with great environments, etc., etc., a good hold school text adventure is always welcome for me!

once upon a time, a beautiful little girl who wore a beautiful red hood.  while she was passing through a forest, she was killed by Captain America.  The end...

2021-04-06 11:16:51

I think you should write up your own game engine. Fro the text game it is not hard, it cannot be/.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2021-04-06 11:52:09

I am a sound designer and I offre you my service for free, just reach out to me on discord

2021-04-06 12:07:16

Nuno, Any ideas?
Meatbag, oo, thx. I will sent you a pm later.

2021-04-06 14:05:06

CSharp/Python/Any_Mainstream_language and you start coding.
Console UI, basic framework for the world, item, enemy ETC.
The only one difficulty might lie in the AI design.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.

2021-04-06 16:23:08

My writing program skills aren't good sadly.

2021-04-06 16:32:29

@pates
You take your time and enjoy yourself. Don't worry about anything more than the game you want to make.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-04-06 23:10:37

I will do all as my best.

2021-04-08 01:53:49

Keep it up man. I wait to see your result at the end of it. Take your time.

2021-04-08 02:16:15

If you do write your own engine, is there any chance you'd consider open sourcing it? Not the game, just the engine.

#FreeTheCheese
"The most deadly poison of our times is indifference. And this happens, although the praise of God should know no limits. Let us strive, therefore, to praise Him to the greatest extent of our powers." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

2021-04-08 12:54:02

let us know if you need help with the engine, i'm pritty sure there are a lot of people who can help

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2021-04-08 19:42:48

@pates
I'd like to suggest (although obviously feel free to ignore me) that you just write your game, rather than writing an engine first off.

They require two wildly different mindsets, and it's not always as clear cut as "Ah well, text is easy". Imagine building a table, and building the tools while you went. Not only do you need to test your hammer doesn't break if you hit it at an angle, and your screw driver doesn't melt in the sun, but you have to iteratively test your table too.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-04-08 21:04:26

@Chris,
it depends on what he wants from his game.
he can of course use a ready engine such as Ren PY ETC, but that is going to restrict him. Is he OK with it? I don't know! If so, sure, he can go his own way.

2021-04-10 12:59:14

@17
Sure, but "make systems that work for your game that are better than the alternatives" is a wildly different statement to "Write an engine with the mindset of sharing it with others".

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-04-10 15:21:29

Chris, so, wchich engines you can appreciate?

2021-04-10 18:15:56

@19
No clue for text based stuff. No clue at all actually haha. Even Earwax, which I made myself leaves a fair amount to be desired.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-04-10 18:52:37

Earwax is good, but it isn't stable jet and it don't have a lot of functionalities. I want good, accessible engine.

2022-07-28 00:40:56 (edited by pates 2022-07-28 00:42:14)

Hello all!
Game plot, scenario and sounds are completed.
I have all the resources for the game, but with little problem in front of me. The coding.
I will, and I want learn coding, but I don't have that much time for it jet.
So, When game will be released?
I don't know really. But if you want, I can post a concept demo, written in renpy.
It's poor, sluggish and little unstable, but fully playable, and you can access the first game chapter, including the first boss, the Corruptus.
Renpy don't have the battle system, so I created some little puzzles in more important battles. Your task isn't only bumping attack attack attack. You must check the situation, select the right option, decide, what to do and try your decision! Consequences can be really interesting, so be extremely careful!

Here is something like the game introduction. It will be posted on my webpage, after coding the game.

New technology can be helpful. Can give us more security. But technology is also one of the biggest curses.
Someone created a portal. Portal to the hell.
This solution is really interesting to jailing the criminals. Taking them to the hell for certain amount of time is cheaper, more economic and more interesting, than closing them in the jails for long, long years.
So now, world stops using the jails, now, judges are using only the hell portals.
Jon James Blake is one of the criminals. He;s a murderer. Really dangerous murderer.
He was captured by the police, and he will stay 7 days in the hell.
Go across horrible areas, try beat the puzzless and fight big a lot of demon types in this rpg styled game!
Gripping story, interesting characters and much, much more!

Game will be free? Maybe, I don't know at this moment.
If no, game will be cheap, like 5 bucks for full game, and 7 with dlc packs, for example.
Yes, I want create dlc's for the game.
I have the scenario for about 3 or 4 dlc's.
Game dlc will be another chapter of main story, or story from the unniverse. For example, first dlc will be a story of creating and testing first hell portal. You will be a main scientist and engineer, who created the idea and first prototype.

If you have any questions or ideas, just post them here.

Pates.

2022-07-28 03:20:36

@1:
I have a few ideas.

1. You could use twine for your engine. I don't know how easy it would be to make using a screen reader to develop it, but it works with a screen reader to play with. I have found lots of text games that use twine to make them that are accessible with screen readers such as NVDA (probably JAWS too, but haven't tested that out myself).

2. As far as ren'pi goes ... I've actually seen a few games that use a battle sequence (several actually) with ren'pi. There's a game called the Beast that has those like I said. I'll post the link to the game so you can check it out in case it helps and isn't too complicated to do.
link:
https://ghostrickfrost.itch.io/the-beast-visual-novel

3. Ideas for game story/events.
I was thinking since it's hell you're sending the main character to, you should have things that represent torture and also some sexual stuff. If you don't want this to be a naughty game, that's fine, just something like a temptation of something sexual cause it's hell. I was also thinking that you could use some (or all if you can figure out how to do it) of the deadly sins in this game. It's hell, so yeah ...

Hopefully some of this is useful. I've played some stuff in ren'pi so would definitely be up for trying out that demo you mentioned. I'm not a game dev or familiar with coding, but I can definitely help test things out.

2022-07-28 05:02:32 (edited by amerikranian 2022-07-28 06:01:55)

I think your biggest problem is going to be the language barrier. No offense, but your English is nowhere near writing a gripping story. If you want text to captivate your audience, then it must be really good, way better than what post 22 shows. I’m afraid I’ll have to give this one a pass in its current state.

@23, that is a very classy and somewhat overused interpretation. It’s much more interesting to think of hell as a personal dimension rather than a generic torture / temptation chamber. I mean, you could use the classy outlook, you just have to be really good at embellishing it and providing unique details, something which you can dial back a tad if you were rolling your custom interpretation. Also, temptation is A bit more subtle than what you have described. Usually there are multiple sins rolled into one package, at least if the writer is clever enough. Having more than one dilemma also allows for great character development, but is again dependent upon the skill of the author.

2022-07-28 11:32:29

24, with my English, there are strange, really strange problems.
I don't have problems with translating texts from Pl to Ang, and Ang to Pl. I don't have problems with speaking. My problem is sentences constructing. Where I must use some language tricks, like the, for example.
I'm trying to solute this issue. That's the only problem really. I don't know, why, but it's little hard for me.
So, the game story will be greatly translated, you can be peaceful at this field.