2021-04-08 05:07:52

I think I posted something similar here last year before my favorite team (San Francisco 49ers) were bested in the Super Bowl.
I've become pretty invested in American football as a sport in the last year. It's gotten to the point where I follow NFL news pretty religiously. I find it puts me in a good mood.
At any rate, are there any other folks out here who are also football fans? Is there interest in making a Discord server for this? I always love talking about it, so establishing a group would be pretty dandy.

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2021-04-08 14:48:47

Yes. Still salty about the pandemic murdering the rebooted XFL too, and the CFL's worth diving into as well.

If you don't already for your NFL/general sports news, listen to former Colts punter/hilariously awesome radio guy Pat McAfee. He's got a show on the radio/Youtube, and gets a lot of good people on. ESPN banned their folks from going on his show and Pat's response was awesome.

Here you go, link: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePatMcAfeeShow/videos

Also. UrinatingTree on Youtube is great if he carries on his This Week in Sportsball videos for weekly recaps of the NFL/NBA/MLB/etc, I was entirely too entertained by the free agency ones he put out earlier in the month/last month.

Yes a group would be good. I'm /still/ skeptical the Jags can do anything right, even with the #1 pick, and the Jets were a shit show all year then decided we're gonna win and fuck up our tank in style. To be fair they got rid of that deadweight coach. Watch Adam land somewhere now and be a great coordinator and fuck up another team in five years time. I'm calling it now, he'll be the next Lions head coach, and speaking of detroit (hey Mauritz, you listening? XD), here's hoping they made the right decision with their trade.

And speaking of the Niners, SecretBase did a great video on their nosedive that's well made.

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2021-04-08 15:03:47

how are we supposed to know what’s going on in the games? That’s the thing I never understood and that’s another reason why I’ve not been a fan of sports while growing up because I never knew what was going on

2021-04-08 16:28:00

@3:

The US networks normally do a good job of explaining it, you just need to pay attention to what's being said. Unless you're watching Redzone but then they are all ...yeah now we're going to such and such game and cut to that feed. Redzone is amazingly good.

Also, just gonna say this. Joe Buck should be dropped by Fox. Alright, he's a decent announcer, sure, but Fox can do better. He's outclasssed in the baseball booth by Smoltz, and....in football Troy Aikman runs rings around him. Hell, even Moose is a better announcer and I don't really care for Moose, much. I'd even take Chris fucking Collinsworth over Joe Buck, thank you very much...I just really don't think JB is suited to calling NFL games, honestly...

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2021-04-09 01:19:38

McAfee is a really great talk show host. His show gives me that "in the garage with the boys" vibe. It's always entertaining to observe the journalist/corporate brand of sports analysts make comments about him.
As far as knowing what's happening on field, it does take some getting used to. American football is also a pretty complex sport given the intricacies of route-running and different defensive coverages. There's 22 players on the field at any given time, so broadcasters and commentators generally won't be able to announce every single thing that happens sequentially. What they will tell you is the formation of the offense, what the quarterback is doing, what the play is, if it's successful or not, and what the defense does to stop them. That's a very basic rundown of how radio broadcasters do it, which is what I recommend people listen to if they want a play-by-play commentary. TV commentators will give you the bare minimum because viewers can see what's happening.

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?