2021-04-02 07:09:52 (edited by gerech 2021-04-02 07:10:52)

Hi, everyone.
I'm looking for suggestions on how to make among us, with its current tasks accessible. From what I've seen the tasks are too visual for us. Here is a list of the current among us tasks. With your input, I can make a concrete suggestion to the developers on how they can make their game accessible to us. It looks like they believe that everyone should be able to play their games as evident by their colorblind changes for accessibility.

If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2021-04-08 12:35:29

I am normally not negative like this, but in this case, I think you can forget it.
The tasks just seem to be much to graphical to be made accessible.

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW

2021-04-08 13:02:15

@2. Oh. Ok. Its disappointing because its a fun game to play between friends.

If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2021-04-08 13:19:17 (edited by Agent47 2021-04-08 13:20:06)

@thetechguy i'm thinking how about you get the dev on a discord server, and we can all chat about it?

"But did you, in your three-piece psychology and 1950's technobrain,
ever take a look behind the eyes of the hacker?  Did you ever wonder what
made him tick, what forces shaped him, what may have molded him?"

2021-04-08 13:25:10

getting the dev on a discord conversation is actually a good idea. We could all give feedback then,

My discord: the_real_amethyst
Join my accessible Pokémon discord server

2021-04-08 16:01:36

@2 booooo

End of Post!
Leos signing off.
CFN ID: LeosKhai. (Always looking to fight people)
Discord: leos_khai

2021-04-08 16:49:48

An hour of the time of the Among Us devs on a Discord call is probably worth more in dollars than they would make in total if they made the whole game accessible to blind people. Sorry.

2021-04-08 18:29:29

@7
You're right, unfortunately.

-----
Matthew's Horse Needs Your Support!
Discord: misterkrabs69

2021-04-08 20:36:50

Well, it's worth a try, I vote yes for getting them on a discord call or server.

Founder and Managing director of Vidyadrishti.
Check us out on twitter at https://twitter.com/vidya_drishti
Check us out on instagram at https://instagram.com/vd.vidyadrishti
Check my YouTube channel out at https://youtube.com/c/techwithphoenix

2021-04-08 21:15:30

considdering there are only 4 people it could be a problem.

My discord: the_real_amethyst
Join my accessible Pokémon discord server

2021-04-08 22:54:21

Sure, I mean yeah you should try. But don't get upset if it doesn't work out.

-----
Matthew's Horse Needs Your Support!
Discord: misterkrabs69

2021-04-08 23:06:17

Sorry to be a negative Nancy, but I really really don’t think that would work. I mean, how would they go about doing it anyways?

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2021-04-08 23:19:14 (edited by Dan Gero 2021-04-08 23:21:40)

I understand that people think it's a useless effort to try. Believe me, in a lot of cases I might even be inclined to agree. But as unlikely as it might be, would it be possible for people to not clutter topics with that mindset unless someone specifically asks us what our opinion is? It discourages people from actually trying to reach out to developers and make something happen, and in my humble opinion, I hope I'm speaking for a good majority of people when I say that we as a community don't need that discouragement. In fact, I think communities in general shouldn't be discouraged, and no matter how small the chances are, you should shoot for the stars and hope you make it. There's always a chance of failiar, but if we don't put in the effort and reach out, we're setting ourselves up to fail, and that's never a good thing.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2021-04-08 23:35:10

Because we should temper our expectations so that we can spend more time on worthwhile things. Why would we seek to make Among Us accessible when there are thousands of games with less players and therefore more reachable developers? Among Us got viral over night and it's only now starting to calm down. They will not have time for us.

2021-04-09 00:10:24

@Dan_Gero:
Couldn’t agree more. Being negative is not going to solve anything. I mean, think about it. Even if among us couldn’t be made accessible, who’s to say their next game couldn’t be? All I’m trying to say is, if someone comes across this topic with the idea to reach out to a developer to try and make their game accessible, this is going to be very unencouraging.

2021-04-09 00:45:17

Everyone has their own definition on what is or isn't worthwhile. For some, it's striving to fix the community in anyway we can. For others, it's reaching out to developers to try and make games accessible and generally raise awareness of accessibility. The developers may not be able to make Among Us accessible, but they are very well known in the mainstream community and for good reason as well. This isn't just about making one game accessible, after all. Even if they can't do it, not only are they aware of our existence, but they want to help us however they can. That in of itself is amazing, as they could spread the word, and they have a lot of connections in the field they could talk to about that.
Exposure is the most important thing to the blind community. The more people who know about us and what we're capable of, the greater chance we have of not only being able to play just this one game, but potentially many others as well. Hell, spreading the word could help us in more ways than just gaming. By shutting down people who want to contact developers to see if their products can be made accessible, you are potentially damaging the community as a whole, as well as yourself seeing as how I believe you are blind just like the rest of us. Audiogames.net exists for the soul purpose of sharing information about accessible gaming, and we all have to work in our own way to make that happen. Mind you, people shouldn't pester mainstream developers as I'm sure many people like to do, but putting down people who are calmly reaching out to developers is just silly. It discourages community members from spreading the word and helping out because they feel like they're going to be judged for doing it, and I once again believe I'm speaking for the majority here when I say that is absolutely not the community we want to build.

TWITCH

2021-04-09 01:38:47 (edited by Ethin 2021-04-09 01:40:07)

@15-16, sorry, but being overly positive and thinking that you can actually get the developers of Among Us on Discord also won't actually solve anything. As 14 said, they have no time for us. The amount they're making now far exceeds the amount of money that they'd make from blind players.
Seriously, this community has this nasty habit of being overly-positive about things. "This game made by this big megacorp isn't accessible, so lets get them on discord." Yeah, lets do that, because they'll totally listen to us and won't give us lip service and empty promises. Seriously, guys, temper your expectations and be more realistic. We can't jump for the big targets before tackling the smaller ones first, and every time I see this I facepalm because we're skipping all the important steps and just expecting that we can make something happen just by having a few conversations. That's not how things work. The only way that works is via legal fiat, and that, too, isn't happening.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-04-09 02:31:00 (edited by Dan Gero 2021-04-09 02:34:56)

Ethin, you don't just climb up a potential latter of devs until you reach the top dev. That's not how advocating works unless you're dealing with political advocacy, and that's a huge can of worms I'd rather not try to open.
The fact is, I don't expect results at all, and realistically I suppose you shouldn't. At the same time though, you don't simply give up just because the chances are low. By your logic, I should never try to do anything in my life. After all, I'm not guaranteed to make it. I'm not guaranteed to pass community college. I'm not guaranteed to get into University. I'm not guaranteed to learn languages or programming. I'm not guaranteed to become a highly paid translator, and above all, me and my brother are certainly not guaranteed to develop an amazing game that disabled and able-bodied people alike can enjoy with no issues, said game becoming a hit and getting bought off the shelves for weeks.
So, if I'm not guaranteed to be able to do it, then why should I even try? Because friends, a life of trying and failing to do something and learning along the way is a hell of a lot more a pealing to me than sitting back and saying oh well, I don't have much of a chance, may as well give up and spend the rest of my life pigging out on chips and cookies. Trust me; I've been there, and it is most certainly not a good feeling. The chance of something happening with the Among Us developers isn't 100%. Hell, it might not be 50%. Look at it this way though. If they do it and it actually works out, that is quite the amazing feet. If absolutely nothing happens, that's also a good thing, because it means a learning experience. They can work on ways they can improve their advocacy skills and potentially improve other things about themselves as well. If yawl discourage them from trying, it could potentially discourage them from trying to help the community or themselves altogether, and that's not a good thing. As it stands, this community could always use all the potential help it can get, and you should always strive to better yourself.
No matter how low the chances of accomplishing something might be, you should never tell people that they're destined to fail and should just stop trying, because if you give up you are actually destined to fail. I was told something by a forum member, and it has stuck with me ever since. You have a spark for helping people. Never let that spark be extinguished, no matter what. I know I might have false hope. I know I'm still young. I know I'm probably more than just a little naive. But, compared to the sad, depressed, hopeless life I was living before, it sure does feel great to have this sense of hope and purpose, as real or as false as it might be.

TWITCH

2021-04-09 02:49:01 (edited by Ethin 2021-04-09 02:51:33)

@18, the problem with that argument is by being overly-positive about things like this, when the chance of failure is pretty much a guaranteed certainty, you get peoples hopes up. So the new advocates will go to these big dogs, will try to get something accessible and will fail horribly because, as I said, businesses like Among Us have no time for us. They aren't going to get on a Discord server just to talk to us. Every single time we be overly-optimistic about things like this, it gets the communities hopes up to a stupidly high degree. Realism goes out the window. People forget the fact that the likelihood of it actually working is pretty much absolutely zero. Your logic about you shouldn't being able to do anything because it fails is bullshit because for the sole reason that that's a completely different set of circumstances. for that logic, the only thing you have to argue with is yourself. Your the only one who benefits, in the majority of circumstances, and so consideration is short and easy. On the other hand, working with companies to make a game like Among Us accessible requires some kind of benefit for the company to get them to spend time on us. What does the company gain out of it? Pretty much nothing. More players? Sure, but overall, not much more than they had before. How much money does it get them? Not much, maybe 3-4 grand at most. Compare that to how much they're going to spend and the entire idea falls over.
Right now, the market for accessible mainstream games is ridiculously tiny. Maybe 4-5 games at most. In other words, we have absolutely no way to show the majority of mainstream companies -- Nintendo for example -- that spending all that money and time on us is actually worth their time. They have absolutely no reason to do it, and no incentive and, from a purely financial-point of view, the money spent is far greater than the money gained.
Are all companies like this? Nope, and there are some good ones. But this is just one of the reasons big mainstream companies don't give a shit about making their games accessible -- its not financially profitable for them, and a company is all about profits. By the time a game like Among Us becomes super popular and we want it, its so complicated that to make it accessible would cost a loooooooot of money. If things were as rosy as you and people like you want to make it out to be, we'd have mindcraft fully accessible and all of us would be playing it already. Yet we don't, for one of the reasons I listed above: the game is far too complex to be made accessible enough for us to actually play it with any reasonable degree of autonomy.
Of course, you can force the company to do it, via legal fiat and such. But that isn't going to get you very far if the CVAA is any indicator.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-04-09 03:06:53

Well, I’m not trying to get anyone’s hopes up or be unrealistic or anything like that. What I’m saying is, even if nothing happens, we still have our say and they may remember us and possibly include accessibility into their next game. I mean, look at the last of us part two. did anyone expect accessibility for that game? No. So in my opinion, it’s better to shoot your shot and miss rather than never shooting your shot at all.

2021-04-09 03:46:40

Once again Ethin, I feel like you're missing the mark by a long shot. It's not about Among Us specifically. It's about trying to get something done, even if it fails. You seem to think that I have 100% confidence in a game like Mine Craft becoming accessible, but I don't. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's not possible because of the circumstances. What is possible is said developers noticing us and spreading the word so the possibility of more accessible games grows as time progresses. If you need proof, look at The Last of us Part 2 and a good chunk of the EA Games. Say what you will about Mine Craft and Among us, but the undeniable truth is that our recognition is growing albeit very slowly, and you have us positive thinkers who took the time to reach out to developers and spread the word to thank for that. I wholeheartedly believe it would do you some good to adopt the same positive mindset, because on the flip side of the coin, it does you 0 good to be so negative and down about the whole situation, true as your statements might be. I can see that you won't change your mind though, and that's perfectly fine. I won't tell you how to live your life. All I ask is that you do us the same favor in return. Let people be positive, Ethin. This forum already has enough negative energy to go around for the last decade.

TWITCH

2021-04-09 06:05:39 (edited by Lucas1 2021-04-09 06:14:55)

So imagine you're in a game and you have a level 3 monster that you can fight, and then a level 10 boss. You're like level 2. Are you going to try and fight the lower-level enemy first to get some more experience so that you can fight the boss, or are you just going to keep throwing yourself at the boss, dying over and over again and gaining fractions of the xp you could've gained by fighting the lower-level monster. Eventually you might be able to kill the boss, but it'll be stupidly painful. TLU2 is like a level 15 boss that was somehow killed by our level 3 character with an overpowered ability we somehow got, which is very unreliable.
You say that climbing a ladder isn't how it works, but it kind of is. We cannot just go from 0 to 100. We need to get a bunch of indie games completely and actually accessible so that we can point to those and say "hey, these guys did this and they're two guys in a garage" or whatever.

2021-04-09 06:30:51 (edited by Dan Gero 2021-04-09 06:37:21)

Oh. I never thought about that. Truthfully I didn't even know that was an issue. Honestly though, this is the first time I've actually seen a good reason why we shouldn't be going for these bigger developers. In most topics, the Mine Craft topic from a few months ago being the first that comes to mind, all the reasons given for why we shouldn't do it came down to it's not possible and stop trying. If someone gave as good of an explanation as you did, Lucas, I think it's safe to say it wouldn't have turned into such a huge controversy.

TWITCH

2021-04-09 06:59:22

@23, none of us are saying its a worthless effort. We're saying its too early and that its worthless right now because the foundation isn't there. Your trying to build a house starting from the roof and not the floor plan and that isn't how things work. TLU2 is, as 22 said, a very unreliable thing that sometimes happens. It in no way implies that we can achieve it again. The market for accessible mainstream games is practically nonexistent, and we need to give companies proof and incentive for them to actually do it.

My Github

2021-04-09 07:15:39

Fair enough. i definitely see your point now.

TWITCH