2021-04-06 10:48:26

On saturday, there was a massive leak of facebook user data.
The data is shared as torrents on image boards like 4chan, and anyone can get access to the data as long as they have the magnet link.
I'm going to download the torrent later today and check it out, but i won't be using the data for any malicious purposes.
Also, that's yet another reason to not use FB lol.

Proud contributor to the manjaro project! www.manjaro.org

2021-04-06 10:59:52

Why would you even download the data?

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.

2021-04-06 12:52:48

Out of curiosity I assume.

Sucks for all the people using FB I guess. Can't say we didn't see this coming.

2021-04-06 12:57:24

Did this leak affect what'sapp?

2021-04-06 13:12:56

I feel bad but at the same time like, really people, how many times can you get fucked and still ask for more before you have enough?

2021-04-06 15:24:06

Without this one damn facebook group we have to be in in my study programme I wouldn't even have an account there.

Good thing I checked my mail and phone number with haveibeenpwned.com to see if I am affected, good thing I am not.

Just checked my mail address on

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW

2021-04-06 15:53:55

Beautiful.
I've never liked facebook and think it's doing more than just showing me things that people I know do, but someone convinced me to get it... So...
Might show them the page that said that data was found.

-----
Matthew's Horse Needs Your Support!
Discord: misterkrabs69

2021-04-06 16:48:48

you're an idiot. you realize if you get caught with that data that's identity theft.

2021-04-06 16:51:21

@8 no its not, not if you are not cot useing them in a bad way

2021-04-06 17:27:44 (edited by Ethin 2021-04-06 17:31:12)

@9, yes, it is. It doesn't matter how your using it. You got it illegally because you didn't ask the people who own that data (the users themselves) if you could have it and acquire it; therefore, its at least a violation of every privacy law in existence. Identity theft is a pretty high possibility too. I wouldn't be surprised if anyone caught with it could be charged with some pretty bad crimes. The question I'd like to know is, what was actually exposed?
The fact that this data is available to your average person is quite disturbing. I use FB because many of my close friends and loved ones use it and that's the only way I could communicate with them.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-04-06 17:32:12 (edited by Blue-Eyed Demon 2021-04-06 17:34:33)

@8, having the data, and using the data, are two totally different things.
Edit: Actually, thinking about it more for a second, I am not totally sure. Going to look into it though, because I don't know how that would be handled. Either way, i would just not download it anyway. There is literally no point. Curiosity kills the cat.

It seems that common sense is a lost art. I am here as a special type of artist to bring that beauty back. If you don't like my work, prove that yours is better. Paint me a beautiful picture of life. Otherwise, I have no interest.

2021-04-06 17:32:41

as far as i know, the phone number, place, name, the profile link and something else i forgot

2021-04-06 17:35:57

@10 than all websites like haveibeenpwned.com etc which checks if your email is leaked, which also is a feature of most password managers, is not legal? that is confusing, the website said above even gives links to download 10s of gbs of passwords

2021-04-06 17:42:46 (edited by Ethin 2021-04-06 17:53:01)

No, its identity theft, at least I think it is, if this refers to issues like this.
@13, no, because by the time that information has been publicly released, the data has usually been changed, or I can't use it to identify anyone. E.g.: I can download a list of millions of passwords, which are the top 1 million list of most used passwords, but I can't actually use that list to then know that you use that password without trying to hack you first. If I just have your email address but not your name and other identifying information, I can't use your email alone to identify you either. That's what protects those websites. They don't hold any actual information that could actually tell people who you really are. But if the leak contains first and last names, usernames, email addresses, phone numbers, or other information -- e.g.: street address and such, then that is information that can be used to identify you, and so to hold that information without the permission of those who entered the information into FB to begin with is illegal.
Note: this is pure extrapolation based on the above source, as well as this one. I might not be correct, though. If, however, those two sources do include these kinds of things (digital data breaches), then I'm probably right. Though I'd love confirmation by a lawyer lol. But I'm pretty positive this violates many privacy laws just by possessing the information.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-04-06 17:56:05

Nice job. Don't complain how you got a bitcoin miner later on.

2021-04-06 18:00:40

@15, that, or if their ISP comes calling asking why they just acquired a supermassive amount of PII that they're not legally authorized to have. Seriously, OP, downloading that info is an incredibly stupid idea that could get you into a lot of trouble. I'm not even sure why you want it anyway. But just having it is illegal, even if your not actually going to use it. It was published -- which is a crime -- and your downloading it -- which only worsens that crime.

My Github

2021-04-06 18:11:21

@Blue-Eyed Demon, But satisfaction brought it back. Not trying to justify this by the way, just an example of how idioms don't seem to be fully told.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2021-04-06 18:38:22

Yeah, I'd think that just having the info would get you in quite a bit of trouble whether you used it or not.
Like, how can they prove you used it or not?

-----

2021-04-06 18:42:27

@17, haha, yes, I knew that the second part of that saying existed. However, I still just wanted to use the first part to kind of prove my point. Being too curious can come back to haunt you later. Take it from someone who tends to be quite curious about pretty much anything and everything.

It seems that common sense is a lost art. I am here as a special type of artist to bring that beauty back. If you don't like my work, prove that yours is better. Paint me a beautiful picture of life. Otherwise, I have no interest.

2021-04-06 18:53:06

Yup, curiosity can come back to bite you later.
@Stasp, I really wouldn't recommend that you download that data.

-----

2021-04-06 19:04:36

I can think of 1 very good reason to download that data... So you can check it to make sure your information isn't in that public database. That's something I'm worried about myself.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2021-04-06 19:29:22

@Dan_Gero, That's why those sites exist, to check that very information.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2021-04-06 19:33:29

There's the ever useful Have I Been Pwned?

That tells if your data's in that breach from 2019, but just having the data doesn't mean anything at all though, else a lot of media/security researcher types would be in trouble for it too

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2021-04-06 19:52:04

Yeah, if I remember correctly, data scientists, particularly in the cyber security fields probably know who we all are, our likes, dislikes, and probably even more sensitive info.

Besides, if the NSA is allowed to do it, why not me. LOL!!!
In all seriousness, though, I don't think merely having the data is too big of an issue. Then again, I have yet to go through Ethin's sources, so don't mind me. I'm just spouting an uninformed opinion, I'm afraid.

I have a website now.
"C: God's Programming Language
C++: The object-oriented programming language of a pagan deity" -- The Red Book
"There, but for the grace of God go I"

2021-04-06 19:52:24 (edited by ignatriay 2021-04-06 19:54:59)

Seconding others here... Not  good idea, and that's putting it mildly ; to download that data. Like others, I have facebook because I have friends there which I can contact only via facebook, however checking haveibeenpwned, none of my numbers or emails; email in this case as I only use one for facebook; appeared when I checked so yeah.
Edit: checking, haveibeenpwned., it says the ammount of data leaked was, half a million, not, half a billion, at least according to haveibeenpwned.

sound designer for mental vision, and Eurofly3.
take a look at
My freesound pageWhere I post sounds I record. ps: if you use my sounds, remember to credit me smiley