2021-04-05 01:27:00

Ok, so I finally decided to try getting on the Steam bandwagon because I really want to play the old You Don't Know Jack games. Unfortunately, while I was able to create an account and install steam (the former took several tries), I haven't been able to configure Steam for screen Reader access as detailed in the article in the articles room. Has something changed in the two years since? I modified the desktop icon, at least I think Ive done it right, but when I load up Steam and try to use NVDA's screen review mode or the JAWS cursor, there's absolutely nothing on the screen. So I'm not sure what I've done wrong or if that guide just isn't applicable anymore. I'd appreciate any help or insight. I haven't purchased anything yet and I'm not going to if I can't get this to work in one way or another.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2021-04-05 05:18:36

Trust me, I had some difficulty with this whole process as well. So when you go to modify the icon, you should have a space after the quote and then type, -no-dwrite -login username password
That is the part explained in the article, but I figured I would put that there anyway, just in case there was a mistake made in that process because I know I screwed it up at first.
After that, when you open the program up, it is not going to read just by tabbing and shift tabbing. It mentions that in that article as well. You are going to need to use OCR. That is the only way it is going to be readable a lot of the time, although there are going to be times where you will be able to navigate it without OCR, but that is not too often I have found out.
Just a quick note also just because I know I had this problem, if you find your steam is in another language, you can go to the properties again where you put the other config pieces, and after dwrite you are going to put a space and then put: -language english
Then put another space so that it is separated from the -login part.
I hope this helps.

It seems that common sense is a lost art. I am here as a special type of artist to bring that beauty back. If you don't like my work, prove that yours is better. Paint me a beautiful picture of life. Otherwise, I have no interest.

2021-04-05 05:48:25

I didn't get the config wrong, I know that much because I checked several times.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2021-04-05 17:34:18

Hmm, what happens when you have ocr scan the screen

It seems that common sense is a lost art. I am here as a special type of artist to bring that beauty back. If you don't like my work, prove that yours is better. Paint me a beautiful picture of life. Otherwise, I have no interest.

2021-04-05 18:30:37

I can read the words steam and valve but that's pretty much it.

2021-04-05 22:32:38

Something kind of weird for me, I didn't have to do anything with the desktop icon. I just opened it, and I could have used nvda's obj nav. it has a web interface like thingy.

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2021-04-06 17:10:54

Well that sure wasn't the case with me.

2021-04-06 17:22:47

Alright, if that is what you are seeing, then chances are your language is messd up on the ap. I know that sounds odd, but trust me, i had the same problem at first. Like I wrote in my original post, go into the properties where you did the other config changes, and right after -dwrite put a space and then type: -language english
That fixed the problem for me.

2021-04-06 18:11:02

For some weird reason, the Steam installer doesn't use the language that is already selected. To actually install with the right language, you have to check the right language checkbox again, no matter if the installer did already. It's really strange, but what can you do? And yes, if you've already installed Steam, editing the properties field also works.

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.

2021-04-06 18:45:10

Trust me, I thought that rechecking the box during installation would work too, but even then it still installed in a different language. I literally had to change it through the properties.

2021-04-06 19:49:00

I had success routing the mouse to "enGlish," and clicking on it with NVDA. It's definitely irritating as far as accessibility bugs go.

2021-04-07 00:00:33

Yeah, it definitely is not a fun app to try and screw around with, but it does come in handy I suppose.