2021-04-04 11:16:34

I own a Samsung Galaxy S10 plus. I typically wait 3 years before changing my phone, but the fingerprint reader on my S10 plus is pissing me off. Moreover, I have never been able to silence my Voice Assistant / TalkBack with the proximity sensor of this phone, it never worked. I tried erasing my fingerprints and reregister them, but it didn't work.

I started looking at the new Samsung S21 ultra and benchmark-wise it seems quite more powerful than the S10 plus. I feel a bit uncomfortable giving money to the same company that gave me a phone that is mildly annoying, but I always had Samsung, generally loved them and it's the only high end brand on the Android side. Things I'm wondering:
1. Would I notice the better performance? Would TalkBack be faster or is it irrelevant?
2. Anyone able to silence TalkBack with the proximity sensor? Something I loved with my S7 edge.
3. Is the fingerprint reader good / better? It was very good on the S7 edge and honestly wasn't awesome on the S10 plus.
4. Additional thoughts on that phone?

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another. ― Lemony Snicket

2021-04-04 11:38:51

Ive used the phone for a while.
1. Firstly, if you're buying it, buy the snapdragon one, not the exinos one, because the exinos one falls behind.
2. TalkBack now works well.
3. You can silence the speech in talkback.

Founder and Managing director of Vidyadrishti.
Check us out on twitter at https://twitter.com/vidya_drishti
Check us out on instagram at https://instagram.com/vd.vidyadrishti
Check my YouTube channel out at https://youtube.com/c/techwithphoenix

2021-04-04 11:41:39

I meant like ad-hoc mute it. Just like pressing Ctrl key on Windows. Like say it's reading something super long and I'm likeokay, just shut up. I used to be able to put my hand in front of the proximity sensor and it would stop reading.

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another. ― Lemony Snicket

2021-04-04 12:25:44

yeah tb does that.

Founder and Managing director of Vidyadrishti.
Check us out on twitter at https://twitter.com/vidya_drishti
Check us out on instagram at https://instagram.com/vd.vidyadrishti
Check my YouTube channel out at https://youtube.com/c/techwithphoenix

2021-04-04 13:23:24

The new TB has the same tap once with 2 fingers gesture likke VO on iOS devices to stop and restart speach, so you don't need the proximity sensor.
Apart from that, I honestly can't tell. I am so fixated on the typing issue I'm having with my samsung device that I didn't yet really look at other apps or general performance, this small thing is already pissing me off so fricking much that I already put up the device for sale, unless someone else sends me a demo of him or her typing on their phone as fast as I do on my iOS device, or at least somewhere in that region.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2021-04-04 21:27:27

I prefer the proximity sensor, it's kinda hard to tap with two fingers and have them hit the screen at the exact same time. Plus, it's something I do all the time, including when the phone locks.

2021-04-04 22:44:22

Samsung is definitely not the only high end brand... there are plenty of other companies that make flagship phones. The s21 ultra is worth it if you are ok with ditchin the headphone jack and sd slot.

Discord: clemchowder633

2021-04-04 23:00:53

2 things I hate about the progression of phone evolution are the in display finger print censers because they're built into the screen and not tactile, and also as 7 mentioned the removal of the SD slot and headphone jacks, these issues being quite problematic as the minimum storage size is 128GB, which is not enough if you're someone like me with a big audible library.

Though our eyes may fail, our ears prevail!
User Karma, every little helps

2021-04-04 23:08:28

Very good high-end phones are Mi 11, one plus 9pro, and some from Oppo, they are good brands and I consider that their layers of personalization are very good. MIUI, color Os, Oxygen Os, etc.
Sorry my english, i'm using g translate.

Manamon trainer

2021-04-04 23:28:35

On my current phone, I use 50% storage with 61GB, so 128 should be enough, I can always get 256 to be sure. I didn't use micro SD cards that much.

The jack going away is a pain, but I mainly used Jack in cars but now most have bluetooth. I have a microphone that I won't be able to use anymore, but I don't use it too often.

I also hate the in display fingerprint sensor, I loved when phones had a home button I could just press. Now I have to locate the home button with TB and then activate it, it's annoying and less quick.

I didn't know that those brands were also making high ends like the samsungs. I thought people said they churn a high end phone that they will support a year or so and then not really give long time support.

I thought Samsung made the more accessible UI customizations, but I never tried anything else, so I really don't know. I have a Samsung watch and I wonder how it would work without the galaxy store

2021-04-04 23:41:14

Warning! Avoid oppo like the plague! the OS kills apps randomly, accessibility services included.

2021-04-04 23:41:34

There are many very good phones, I would dare say that many outperform Samsung or are at the same level.

Manamon trainer

2021-04-04 23:42:41

that can be solved from the settings, it can happen on any android regardless of the brand, you have to make android not limit the background processes.

Manamon trainer

2021-04-05 00:01:19

People have already said this, but I figured I would also chime in. There are definitely other good brands besides sansung. Mind you, I am an apple fanboy, so I don't use android devices all that much, but I do know people with android devices and I have watched reviews on a bunch of different brands. The two that stick out for me besides samsung would be OnePlus and the ASUS Zenfone. Just figured I would put that out there.

It seems that common sense is a lost art. I am here as a special type of artist to bring that beauty back. If you don't like my work, prove that yours is better. Paint me a beautiful picture of life. Otherwise, I have no interest.

2021-04-05 00:19:30

No I tried everything.
I even spoke to an oppo representative and they said there's nothing they could do

2021-04-05 04:07:42 (edited by Boo15mario 2021-04-05 04:09:08)

@10 with TB you can do a swipe up than left to go home. I also want to say Motorola also released the Moto G 100. that is another one worth looking at.

2021-04-07 18:12:36

If you're looking for longer OS updates, your only options are pixel and samsung S series as far as I know. I'm not sure about pixel phones, but Samsung gives 3 major updates and a year of security updates after that. The chip used in international s21 series is quite powerful so no worries about lagging behind snapdragon models. Proximity sensor does not work with talkback and any other screen reader in S10 series and above, so don't expect that in s21. I've heard the fingerprint works nicely, though don't expect too much from an under-display sensor. Starting with oneui 3.1, Samsung has It's own special talkback version, and Voice assistant is completely gone. As someone mentioned before, typing with recent changes in talkback has become a real pain in the neck. I don't use talkback for anything these days; I'm Using commentary screen reader and am having no problems with typing, though I don't think everyone likes using it. Also, there are many good brands when it comes to flagships. Oneplus and xiaomi are a few I've heard good things about

:)

2021-04-08 07:18:31

I'm sad that proximity sensor no longer mutes the screen-reader, it was really handy, two finger single tap is not as nice. I do like the braille input keyboard though. I think I'll wait another year before changing my S10+. Fingerprint sensor still is annoying, but I finally got it to work a bit better, still quite slow, but more accurate unlocks.

Hopefully next year we will have some good news.