2021-04-04 09:39:46

so friends, i am learning c++. what mey bee the best gui library for c++? mey bee wx. before i start using it, i wan't to know all of your's openion. i am using visual studio 2019's c++ compiler
thanks in advance

if you like this post, please thum it up!
if you like to see my projects, feel free to check out my github
if you want to contact me, you can do here by skype. or you can follow me on twitter: @bhanuponguru
discord: bhanu#7882

2021-04-04 10:30:15

Honestly, not that I'm a C++ aficionado, but WXWidgets and QT are about the only two I've even heard of.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-04-04 10:41:55

aa? is qt accessible either? i never knew! thanks @2. i will give it a try in python first and then try in c++

if you want to contact me, you can do here by skype. or you can follow me on twitter: @bhanuponguru

2021-04-04 14:07:27

QT is not accessable, At least from the python side, I don't know about cpp, But it's probably the same, Wx is your best choice, I don't think a better gui thing exists other than that that works on windows and mac and not sure about linux, But probably, +, Accessable and free.

2021-04-04 14:13:26

@4 it is accessible on linux

2021-04-04 17:46:53

I've heard QT has gotten better, but have yet to personally evaluate it.  If you need cross-platform WX is probably your best bet.  If you only care about Windows, though, you can compile as C++/CX and use windows forms or any of the other first-party Microsoft solutions, all of which work fine.

That said, please don't do this to yourself.  You're going to ignore me, but C++ is meh at the best of times and way more meh when you discover what kind of special hell C++ GUI libraries are like when it comes to handling pointer lifetimes and things without crashing.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2021-04-04 18:57:18 (edited by bhanuponguru 2021-04-04 18:59:19)

@6
do you mean do not use c++ for gui or not use c++ at all? smile i will not ignore you. but i din't get what do you mean smile

2021-04-04 19:15:11

I wouldn't use C or C++ at all unless you have a very good reason.  It's a very special sort of hell.  You can expect to spend 1 to 2 years before your software doesn't crash or do weird things due to C/C++ specific bugs.

My Blog

2021-04-04 19:19:49

hmm. but learning is not wrong right? i am willing to learn it. to understand how memory alocation works and all that. i mean i feel it great. so i do that. and i will never leave python. its always my buddy

2021-04-04 19:23:23

Learn it, sure.  But I wouldn't try to do projects in it.  Also, if you haven't learned it yet you should wait on GUI libraries for a while.  it's at least 10 times harder than Python and even installing a library is complicated.  See what you're getting into before you try to make a window with buttons.  It's much harder than you think.  Maybe read the WX tutorials to see what I mean.

My Blog

2021-04-04 19:28:31

oh yeah. i completed how to use classes and objects, as well as namespaces. i thought it's good time to go try some stuf. so yeah. thanks big_smile

2021-04-04 19:31:19

In that case your next goal should be to learn shared_ptr, unique_ptr, and std::array.  With those 3 things, you might have a chance of not crashing all the time.  You will also need to learn a build system like CMake and how include and linker paths work.  Then, maybe you can do gui stuff after those without the app just being broken all the time.

My Blog

2021-04-04 19:32:12

You can also go the raw Win32 rout. But Camlorn is right. C++ is one of the hardest programming languages to get right, and I wouldn't like to write anything in it if I have a choice. This coming from someone who's currently enrolled in a C class, so take that as you may.

2021-04-04 19:33:39

thanks for the info camlorn! i will learn it for sure before going to gui. thanks for suggestion. again thanks

2021-04-04 20:00:50

The raw win32 route is so complicated as to be useless.  it takes something like 70 or 80 lines to open a window with zero controls in it.

My Blog

2021-04-04 21:26:05

Agree with 15. You can try vcpkg for your dependency management, but you need to learn CMake first.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-04-05 07:26:07

@bhanuponguru
Why not go for Rust if you're looking for a systems level language?

Please note this isn't a recommendation either way: I know about as much Rust as I do C++, although I do like how Rust doesn't even have a null object except in certain special cases.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-04-05 17:52:26

Rust is good, but note that there's literally no way that I know of to do an accessible GUI in it.  If you're just going to do the self-voicing game thing like Pygame it's fine, but there's no wx equivalent that's mature.

A lot of new languages draw all their GUI stuff with OpenGL and don't give a thought to screen readers at all.  Rust is unfortunately one of them.  This will hopefully change as it continues getting more popular; at some point, someone's going to have to care.

My Blog

2021-04-05 17:53:14

@17, there are very few GUI libraries in Rust that I'd call usable. The one that comes closest is Druid, which at least supports all the events required to make an accessible application, at lest I think it does. The problem is that, from what I've read, you might need to write your own custom widgets to get it to work. There is, of course, GTK, but GTK isn't accessible on Windows.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-04-06 20:23:24

qt is not accessible? strange, I have not tryed it but found this

2021-04-06 20:59:54

QT... Is... Sort of. Dropbox uses it, as well as OBS. It works enough, but not great, from what I've seen?

2021-04-06 21:05:56

QT is accessible. Certain components -- in particular edit boxes and webviews -- don't work properly, but that's a fault of NVDA and not QT.

My Github