2021-02-27 03:19:22

Hi folks,

I'm happy to announce that, together with TalonTheDragon and pitermach, we will be hosting No Video Jam 2. Please join us again for another audio game slow jam beginning on April 9 and lasting for two weeks. Here are links to join and learn more:

2021-02-27 07:17:41 (edited by defender 2021-02-27 07:24:16)

Exciting!  I've been thinking about this again lately, counting down the months.  I learned allot about project management and communication last time, plus I got to let my creative side out and play some interesting games too of course!

Though I do wish that the header said something like this instead:
"Welcome to No Video Jam 2, an audio game slow jam featuring accessible games where graphics aren't the focus!"
Because the name is already misleading and you do clarify that they need to be accessible to the fully blind, but at this point changing it would be kinda confusing too.
That said, a more plain English explanation of the expectations (the goal is to be able to play this fully with a blindfold on) and some simple tenants like (don't feel like you need to nerf the difficulty) and (all game instructions should to be accessible by screen reader too) might help, as the Game Accessibility Guidelines, while valuable, are also quite dense and general.

I'd also like to see an expanded asset list this time, as well as a way to put your contact details and the work you are willing to do/schedule on their as a helper.
I totally get that you have a job though Shift, so I understand if not all of that happens.  I'd be happy to do most of the heavy lifting on a better asset resource though, at least for sounds and music, and I could also collect listing submissions from helpers and help with expanding simple English guidelines.

2021-02-27 09:56:11

wow that's good news! I could not participate in the first one do to technicle issues so I have a chance here
thanks!

2021-02-27 13:41:18

Hi, awesome! about the new jam, just one if we would be able to collect our assets before the jam, example creating a story draft, getting sounds, etc. Just all the little bits and bobs not related to code itself. Cheers question. I was wondering

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2021-02-27 18:02:10

@defender:

Many thanks for the feedback. I love your change to the tagline and will update that for us. This is very much a team effort so I'm happy to make tweaks to improve the jam page and experience.

I agree that in general the language could be clearer. We can work on that. Most days I'm so trapped in my head that it's tough to make sense of what does and doesn't make sense. big_smile

Currently we're linking to the previous jam with our old resource and asset list, which you really helped shape for us last time. We can consider this a work in progress. As you pointed out, I have limited time and experience with this. Please feel free to expand on our previous list. You can propose changes here or work with me on Discord, whatever is easiest for you.

2021-02-27 18:19:55 (edited by shiftBacktick 2021-02-27 18:20:47)

@JayJay:

You can absolutely do all those things: draft your story, collect sounds, etc. Everyone works at a different pace. Our big ask is to be respectful towrd folks who started and completed their games during the jam period. Where I will draw the line for my personal submission is implementation. I might outline my game in a design document and and improve my engine, but I won't write any code executing that vision until it starts. We won't be judging your process, just follow the Golden Rule.

2021-02-27 21:30:17

My goal is to drop a pack of interface sounds on freesound.org. I've been working on it in my spare time for a while now. My idea was to drop it when I hit 100, and I'm on 87, so I'm on the home stretch. Maybe those will be helpful in this. Though the real work for me comes in organizing them... yikes... bleh. It's not my forte, I just make sounds. I have no idea how to go about doing this. Right now, they're just named interf1 through interf87.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-04-02 19:37:45

Hi folks,

With the jam fast approaching, we're pleased to announce our themes! We’re excited to hear how these inspire you to think outside the box about No Video. Feel free to choose one, many, or none at all:

• Augmented

• Data visualization

• Failure is progress

• Logical fallacy

• No end in sight

• Recursion

• Temporary disability

• The jab

• Unconventional controls

• You are the dungeon

Cheers!

2021-04-02 19:52:15

For anyone interested in my assistance, I'm available to any team or solo dev for help with sourcing free and legal music/sound resources, basic design, testing on Windows 10, Mac OS 10.15., and IOS 14.4 with access to an Xbox1 controller and refreshable braille display, game design advice from the point of view of a long time audio gamer and fully blind person, and intermediate level consultation on firearms.

Please feel free to contact me in the following methods:
Discord: superfreq#2817
Email: [email protected]

I hope I can help!

Example of my work on the last NVJ
https://itch.io/jam/no-video-jam/rate/736066