2021-04-01 20:01:23

JaceK wrote:

is there a way I can add my own games, shorrt of being a paytrion and paying to get to the source code?

Sure, just install the games with the same format used by audiogame-manager. Make the wine bottle in ~/.local, install the game there, and add the launcher information to your ~/.config/storm-games/audiogame-manager/games.conf file.

There are three fields in the launcher. First is the wine bottle name, with spaces replaced by dash and all words in lower case. So, My Awesome Game becomes my-awesome-game. Second is the Windows path to the game, for example c:\Program Files\My Awesome Game.exe. Third is the name as displayed in the menu. In the example thus far, it would be My Awesome Game. Each field is separated by the pipe character, |.

To directly answer your question, no one should be forced to become a Patron. I know what it is like to not be able to spare a single dollar a month for anything. In fact, I'm pretty much in that condition at the moment. Being a Patron is only for people who can spare the money and choose freely to do so. The perks Patrons get are mostly conveniences. Audiogame-manager doesn't do anything that you cannot research and do on your own; the program only makes it convenient and easy to do.

My games: https://stormgames.wolfe.casa
Support my work on Ko-fi

2021-04-03 18:20:39

Hello. Does someone tried the audiogame manager for mac? I can't manage installing and setting it. I need some assistance.

2021-04-26 23:09:28

Could you add audio quake to this? I have no idea how to manually do it and it seems like the program uses a private wineprefix for everything.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-04-26 23:32:59

@Ethin:

Agreed, on both counts. I've had issues using Swamp with this, mostly with the batch file at the very end not being recognized at all. I don't have my card working to look at the code thanks to Paytrion right now however...but I would like Audio Quake yes please

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

Jace's EA PGA Tour guide for blind golfers

2021-04-27 03:03:21

JaceK wrote:

I've had issues using Swamp with this, mostly with the batch file at the very end not being recognized at all.

Interesting that Swamp hasn't been working for you. It has been rock solid on multiple systems for me, and most of my friends use it too. The only caveat is if you are missing some of the gstreamer dependencies, you would need to delete the music directory so the game doesn't crackle and eventually crash. With the gstreamer stuff, it works just fine though.

If you are interested in helping with development, I can give you access to the code. Just email me or pm me here with your gitlab username. While more patrons would be a great thing, I'm not all hung up on it lol. If you can help the cause of getting more games in the hands of Linux and Mac users, than that's contribution a plenty.

JaceK wrote:

I would like Audio Quake yes please

AudioQuake is a special case. It's supposed to be available natively on all three platforms. In fact, I used to play it around 2008 I think it was, just after when I first started using Linux full time. Then, it stopped working, and I couldn't get it running again, so I haven't touched it since then. I went digging around on the github page and in the downloads, and there are still Linux based downloads and files available, but once again, I didn't have any luck with it.

So, I tried getting it going in wine, and no luck. There's some pretty interesting launcher stuff in there, including a start.pl script and some other things. I'm not to the point of saying it won't work under wine yet, just that I've not had any luck thus far. I get the feeling that if we do end up having to go the wine route it may take some pretty heavy customization to launch it. Fortunately, there's already a framework in place for custom launching because of Sequence Storm.

Support my work on Ko-fi

2021-04-27 03:08:22 (edited by stormdragon2976 2021-04-27 05:35:54)

Ethin wrote:

it seems like the program uses a private wineprefix for everything.

It does. Some games have different and conflicting requirements. Running each game in it's on bottle insures games can be installed without breaking other games.

As for AudioQuake, it's now a work in progress, see above.

Just a quick edit to say, I'm now playing AudioQuake in wine. It's been years, so I have forgotten practically everything about the game. I found the shareware pack files I needed in a very well hidden dropbox download link, which I can't use in audiogame-manager because I have found those to be extremely volatile, here now, gone tomorrow.

I would rather not have to host those pack files, so if you happen to know of a reputable site that has the pack0 and pack1 files, please let me know and I will use it in the manager instead of hosting them myself. It is shareware, so it should be fine if I do have to continue hosting them.

As soon as the testing phase is done, I'll release a new binary. I'll try and speed things up a bit so you won't have to wait too long to play. smile

Support my work on Ko-fi

2021-04-27 08:37:20

@156, Keybase is an excellent alternative to dropbox. If you like I can drop into the stormux Mumble server and help you get it set up, but once you store something in your KBFS public directory the link becomes a permalink until the content is removed. I don't see that ever changing (after all you can build websites in there so...).

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-04-27 12:00:55

Okay this is odd...

Last three lines when I do ./audiogame-manager -i and pick Swamp... (and everything else works fine, the downloads, the extractions)

inflating: /home/jace/.local/wine/swamp/drive_c/Program Files/swamp/maps/Warehouse3 
  inflating: /home/jace/.local/wine/swamp/drive_c/Program Files/swamp/maps/Warehouse4 
Can't recognise 'Windows32bit.bat' as an internal or external command, or batch script.

After that Swamp shows up but won't run, I get a default desktop that doesn't respond to inputs

Also on Linux natively

2021-04-27 18:11:28

Ethin wrote:

@156, Keybase is an excellent alternative to dropbox. If you like I can drop into the stormux Mumble server and help you get it set up, but once you store something in your KBFS public directory the link becomes a permalink until the content is removed.

That sounds cool. I will be connected to the Stormux mumble server today, so if you have time to drop in, that would be awesome. Things are often busy here, so if I don't respond, it just means I'm away from the keyboard helping the kids or something.

Support my work on Ko-fi

2021-04-27 18:21:48

@159, I will try, though I'm getting my second vaccine shot today so I might be out of it for a while. We'll see!

My Github

2021-04-27 18:45:22

JaceK wrote:

Okay this is odd...

Last three lines when I do ./audiogame-manager -i and pick Swamp... (and everything else works fine, the downloads, the extractions)

inflating: /home/jace/.local/wine/swamp/drive_c/Program Files/swamp/maps/Warehouse3 
  inflating: /home/jace/.local/wine/swamp/drive_c/Program Files/swamp/maps/Warehouse4 
Can't recognise 'Windows32bit.bat' as an internal or external command, or batch script.

After that Swamp shows up but won't run, I get a default desktop that doesn't respond to inputs

I wonder if there are corrupted files in the cache. Maybe try removing the cache, or if you want to keep the cache and just remove the Swamp stuff try something like this:

find ~/.config/storm-games/audiogame-manager/cache/ -name 'Swamp*' -exec rm {} +

The other option may be to try running the .bat file by hand and see if you get more useful output. Something like this should do it.

cd ~/.local/wine/swamp/drive_c/Program\ Files/swamp/
WINEPREFIX=.local/wine/swamp wine cmd.exe /c Windows32bit.bat

Hopefully one of those will help figure out what's going on. If not let me know and I'll see if I can come up with something else to fix it. smile

Also, feel free to drop by the Stormux mumble server and we can work on it in real time. It is mumble.stormux.org with default port.

Support my work on Ko-fi

2021-04-27 20:10:57

Okay weird.

Just did a fresh download after deleting the cache. Now I'm down to when I launch it, I get a default desktop instead of Swamp launching. I'll grab Mumble and see if that makes it easier to work on things yeah

Also on Linux natively

2021-04-27 23:33:15

Okay this just got more weird.

I decided fine, screw it, I'll start entirely from scratch and went back to run the .bat file by hand...
And...default wine desktop opened, instead of the cmd.exe. I'm running out of ideas, since the only common thread is the customized prefix I'm running since runningit in WINE itself gives a boatload of errors in the terminal. I'm just more confused now as to why Wine's thinking any command for Swamp is to launch the default desktop

Also on Linux natively

2021-04-28 03:01:53

JaceK wrote:

Okay this just got more weird.

I decided fine, screw it, I'll start entirely from scratch and went back to run the .bat file by hand...
And...default wine desktop opened, instead of the cmd.exe. I'm running out of ideas, since the only common thread is the customized prefix I'm running since runningit in WINE itself gives a boatload of errors in the terminal. I'm just more confused now as to why Wine's thinking any command for Swamp is to launch the default desktop

hmm, if it is only saying default desktop, and not something like Swamp default desktop, then it sounds like swamp itself is not running. Are you sure you have all of the requirements for wine to run Swamp?

One thing you could try, although I sort of doubt it will work, is turning off wine's virtual desktop for your Swamp bottle.

WINEPREFIX=~/.local/swamp winetricks -q vd=off

Sorry about the lack of real help on Mumble earlier. It's been a crazy day. smile

Support my work on Ko-fi

2021-04-28 04:57:01

Hey guys. Super excited to get this up and running. I'm a bit of a newb so this probably is an easy fix. I'm on a MacBook Air and I've got a fair way along getting this installed but I've hit a snag installing wine.
Got home brew installed I believe successfully then I run
brew tap gcenx/wine

it just puts me back at the download folder so I assume thats worked but when I run the next command "brew cask install --no-quarantine wine-crossover
" it gives me this error
"error, cask unknown command"
Am I missing something here?
I might add I did have crossover installed a while back as I was having a bit of a play around but I've removed that app. not sure if thats at all relevant haha.
Heeeeeeelppp please. God I don't miss command lines haha

2021-04-28 10:59:50 (edited by JaceK 2021-04-28 17:44:21)

EDIT: Okay I'm a doofus. Installing mono into /usr/share/wine/mono got Swamp to run.

Now to try getting some of the novideojam ones working under Wine...here goes nothing

Also on Linux natively

2021-04-28 23:09:33

mattymc2 wrote:

when I run the next command "brew cask install --no-quarantine wine-crossover
" it gives me this error

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I had to find someone who knew the answer. Apparently, the order of that last command has changed. The new syntax is:

brew install cask --no-quarantine wine-crossover

If you would be willing to try this, and let me know if it works, I will update the documentation. Oh, and while I have the attention of any Mac users who may be reading through this stuff, I need someone who has the Mac and is familiar with terminal usage and syntax, who is willing to build the mac binary.

Support my work on Ko-fi

2021-05-02 14:11:42

stormdragon2976 wrote:
mattymc2 wrote:

when I run the next command "brew cask install --no-quarantine wine-crossover
" it gives me this error

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I had to find someone who knew the answer. Apparently, the order of that last command has changed. The new syntax is:

brew install cask --no-quarantine wine-crossover

If you would be willing to try this, and let me know if it works, I will update the documentation. Oh, and while I have the attention of any Mac users who may be reading through this stuff, I need someone who has the Mac and is familiar with terminal usage and syntax, who is willing to build the mac binary.

Thanks for your reply. I can confirm that command solved it.
Was able to install and run swamp and run it. Amazing
Is it still the case that not all the available games work on Mac? Is it just the list on the wiki that work?
Also on a side note I’m having a lot of voiceover focus issues arriving up and diwn in the list of games.Voiceover is often an option behind or in front   
Finally though this is an amazing project.  Thank you for all you’ve done.
Cheers

2021-05-02 18:13:55

mattymc2 wrote:

I can confirm that command solved it.

Awesome. Thanks for testing that for me. I have updated the wiki.

mattymc2 wrote:

Is it still the case that not all the available games work on Mac? Is it just the list on the wiki that work?

I think some of the games will not work. I know the last time my friend tried Sequence Storm, it did not work. The list on the wiki is just games that are known to work and doesn't mean that the others will not. If you install a game and it doesn't work, there is the -r flag you can use to remove it, so it won't just sit there taking up valuable disk space.

mattymc2 wrote:

Also on a side note I’m having a lot of voiceover focus issues arriving up and diwn in the list of games.

Have you tried the TDSR screen reader? It may have fewer problems with the terminal.

mattymc2 wrote:

Finally though this is an amazing project.  Thank you for all you’ve done.

I am glad you like it. Have fun gaming. smile

Support my work on Ko-fi

2021-05-02 19:14:28

So question. Does the wiki have a list of games and info on each of them or?

Also on Linux natively

2021-05-02 21:51:00

JaceK wrote:

So question. Does the wiki have a list of games and info on each of them?

No, just the Mac, because the guy who wrote the article made a list of games that he tested. making a list of games for each distro would be a daunting task, because it's a moving target.

Support my work on Ko-fi

2021-05-02 22:44:39

No what I meant was more, does the wiki say what a game is, f.ex

Swamp

A single/multiplayer first person shooter with zombies

Basically what I was saying is, is there a list of what each game is about. I'm not on about distro specific, I mean I've no idea what quite a few of the games are about really

Also on Linux natively

2021-05-03 00:12:36

JaceK wrote:

Basically what I was saying is, is there a list of what each game is about.

No, honestly I didn't even think about that. I tend to just search on the net if I want to know, or try it. Trying to maintain such a list with descriptions would probably be a project all its own.

Something just added, that may not be obvious to some users, is the documentation button. If you select a game that is installed, then press right arrow twice, you will land on the "Documentation" button. It requires w3m be installed, and if it is, it will then try to find the documentation for the game, so ReadMe or manual. It's not 100%, and some games don't  come with documentation included, but it works for the most part.

Support my work on Ko-fi

2021-05-05 23:06:05

My friend who was doing Mac support and compilations sold off his Mac. So, The search for a new Mac person has intensified. If you know your way around the Mac terminal, and would like to help with Mac support and compiling the Mac binary, please let me know. I'll check my private messages as often as I can remember it.

If there's a way to send email from the forum, that would work too. Unfortunately, for now, Mac updates may be somewhat less frequent than Linux ones.

Support my work on Ko-fi

2021-05-08 11:47:32 (edited by JaceK 2021-05-08 12:15:20)

EDIT: Or not. There's definitely something weird going on with the caching of files though, that's for sure w.r.t. Swamp?

Also on Linux natively