2021-03-26 18:30:25

Hi all,
Before everyone tells me all the different ways this has already been achieved, please note that I don't care; I just wanted to learn, and someone I'm in touch with has students who will probably benefit with small code examples.

I've coded a small MUD client that runs in the web browser.

You need some kind of server to run the Dart portion of the code (it's a little proxy that forwards connections); the rest is pure JavaScript.

There are no triggers, aliases, or anything else special. Hopefully it'll be useful to someone.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-03-28 03:07:15

Very nice!

Nathan Smith
Managing Director of Nathan Tech
It's not disability
It's ability!

2021-03-28 12:14:46

@2
Thanks. Glad you like it.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-03-30 14:18:25

this sounds great thanx, i will try it out at some point... just need a simple mud to test this out on.

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2021-03-31 09:40:47

Hi.
Will the incoming text automatically be read with screenreaders?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2021-03-31 12:21:22

@5
Of course. smile

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-03-31 16:59:16

@5:

I was wondering that too, As good as Grapevine is...that's one flaw with it. I'm curious if I can point this at existing MU* and be all here, do your thing client

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2021-03-31 18:34:07

If other developers use this as a template on how accessibility could be done, OK. Otherwise, without a full feature set, no one will use it. I laugh at my earlier self back in about 2013 or so when I thought to myself, "Who would spend all that time scripting MUDs." Now, I script just about every MUD I play to some degree or other. Timers, triggers, aliases, scripts, macros, mappers, speedwalks and all other types of easing your gameplay are inextricably linked to MUDding. It'll never change. Those that want to disallow it, that use graphical clients with inbuilt health bars and all that stuff are still using some out of band protocol to get the info to the client, i.e. even if they say you can't script, they script for you. Anything beyond that point may as well be called an MMO rather than a MUD.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-04-01 19:01:10

@7
You could certainly fork this code to make your own client with triggers and the like.

If you made a generic implementation, you could always use get args to bypass the connect form.

@8
The eventual project is not to make a generic MUD client (although that could be done), but to make a tool that can be used in education to let kids learn to code with MOO.

I'm already starting work on triggers, then will come aliases, and shortcut keys.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-04-01 21:36:03

I like MOO. MOO is cool, I guess. I'm involved in one right now because I know it already. But do we need a tool to teach kids a dying language?

2021-04-01 22:10:17

Yeah.  please, please let's not teach the next generation Moo.  Unless you're specifically talking about blind students that are specifically interested in making muds, Moo teaches actively bad programming habits that make BGT look like a shining example of Google-level coding.  Unfortunately for blind students specifically interested in making muds there's nothing better, but sighted kids can just pick up unity or Love or something and it's just as easy.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2021-04-01 22:16:05

I also like MOO, but yeah, I kind of agree.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-04-02 09:22:31

I agree, MOO isn't the best language, but it's not my idea, and it's certainly better than Scratch. Also, as you all correctly surmised, it's for blind students, many of whom are using BrailleNotes, so any "normal" language is off the cards, unfortunately.

-----
I have code on GitHub