2021-03-29 12:48:45

I want to enahcne function of JAWS. I can always edit the default script file, but its not a good solution, as this file gets replaced while updating. Can I create my custom global scripts?

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2021-03-29 21:52:08

that's one of jaws'es long standing weak points. Last time I Looked, they made a half-baked fix by creating a file call MyExtensions.jss. It supposedly does not get replaced when updating, so you can include your scripts there.

2021-03-29 22:11:31

Damn. What if somebody has other extensions? OK, I will search

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.

2021-03-29 22:46:45

I don't know how this works, and I don't have a link to it handy, but look into the DictationBridge source code.  We did it for that, though by "we" I mean that Jaws scripts eventually turned out to be hard enough and undocumented enough (in part for this reason) that we found an expert and had them do all of it instead.  In general you're going to find lots of other fun problems trying to get into the world of Jaws scripting--their manuals aren't even complete.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2021-03-30 09:35:54

plus, their scripting language is nothing short of awffle, so I won't recommend anyone but experts do it, it's hard as hell, kinda buggy, and unrewarding. But yeah, make a python or batch script or something that replaces an include line in default.jss that points to your script. Then, you can invoke it whenever jaws updates. This way, your script would get included in default.jss everytime, despite the updates.

2021-03-30 10:18:54

I want to create a simple plug in, nothing too much.

2021-03-30 15:32:45

yeah.  But fair warning.  The word simple and the word Jaws scripting don't ever belong in the same sentence.  To do some of what DictationBridge needed we had to write a thing in C++ that talked to Jaws instead of Jaws scripts.  It's very limited.  Simple NVDA add-ons count as very complicated in Jaws scripting land.

My Blog

2021-03-30 18:13:37

It seems you used Windows Classes to communicate to it, from whhat I have seen.

2021-03-30 19:24:29

I don't know all of the details.  I only wrote an initial version before I was no longer involved in the project due to the rest of my life going in a traditional job direction and such like that.  It's a good source of info though, in that it does basically everything you could ever want to do with jaws scripting one way or another.  You will probably want to copy that installer, among other things.

Jaws scripts are very good at responding to jaws-specific keys that you assign.  They're very bad at responding to anything else without a lot of hacky work.

My Blog

2021-03-31 09:23:48

Thank you Camlorn. BTW is Dictation Bridge being upgraded? This might help some of my friends!