2021-03-15 07:55:00

If a user creates a topic, and then realizes it was in the wrong room, or they no longer want or need it, it would be cool if they could delete the topic immediately by hitting the button as long as they were logged into the account used to create it. Unless a moderator likes that topic specifically, I believe that every user should have control over what happens to their topic. This way, if you post false information, you can delete it before someone gets their hopes up or sees it. Thanks for your consideration.

2021-03-15 08:07:43

Deleting topics was disabled because people were using it to evade bans.

Moving or closing your own topics would be neat, though. But I doubt it's possible with the current configs to do that, and besides I have a feeling most forums leave that to the mods anyway?

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2021-03-15 11:34:18

moving topics maybe, Deleting them/closing them will be a mess if you ask me, Because closed topics will be something vary known, Also no, Deleting topics? I don't want to keep posting on a topic and then someone rages at the forum and deletes all of his topics and then all my user stats gets fucked up, There's someone that done that too many times, His name starts with mason armstrong.

2021-03-15 12:03:28

Also, to get rid of misinformation, just edit the post in question.

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.

2021-03-15 15:46:30

yeah, no no for enabling the delete feature
it caused so many  problems.

2021-03-15 17:17:16

I have to admit that misinformation is a pretty weak argument. In the first place, as Targar said, just edit the post, or fact check before you post at all. The mods usually are quick with moving topics, just report it and they'll get to it.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2021-03-15 18:01:35

No! Too much has gone down to allow this. Too much abuse can happen. Just edit your initial post, that way, you won't be taking down history with you.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-03-16 03:17:54

Agreed with the others. Too much can happen as a result of this. I wasn't very involved with the forum when this happened but didn't somebody nuke the original BK3 topic with hundreds or thousands of posts or something?

2021-03-16 05:21:17

I agree with everybuddy else here, but if you want your topic moved the moderaters will do it if they see it's in the rong room, and about deleting topics, i havent seen a topic be deleted ever, all i see are closed topics, not deleted ones, so i guess the mods can't do it eather or they just don't for like, hystory things or something, but if you want your topic closed you can just ask them and they will usually do it for you.

Bach is an astronomer, discovering the most marvelous stars. Beethoven challenges the universe. I only try to express the soul and the heart of man."
― Frederic Chopin.

2021-03-16 06:40:23

@Ttslover0987814
I agree with you. Unfortunately as others have pointed out, such a feature has caused issues in the past. People who abuse things are why the rest of us who wouldn't abuse them can't have nice things. It's something that pisses me of on a personal level even though it probably shouldn't, because i'm not part of the problem but lose the ability.

2021-03-16 14:49:37 (edited by Lucas1 2021-03-16 14:51:09)

I don't understand the big deal. If you don't like it, just leave your topic and it'll probably die eventually. If it's misinformation, edit the first post to point that out. If it's a pointless topic that you made by mistake, edit the first post to point that out. If it's in the wrong room, the mods will move it. If people are causing drama in it, I guess you can ask the mods to close it. If they don't close it at that point, I guess you should just learn to be responsible for starting a topic that spawned drama and if it came about thanks to somebody else, it's not your fault and probably won't reflect badly on you to the other parts of the community. I think if it bothers you, you're probably somebody who might end up misusing it.

2021-03-16 22:12:35

Nah. That's probably true for some, but not me. I would be responsible with topic deletion. In general, it just bothers me when things that I know how to use responsibly get taken away because other people can't be responsible. It's almost as if not being part of the problem gets you nowhere in some cases. Not that being part of the problem gets you anywhere either, unless you enjoy causing problems for people. What makes it worse in this case is that I have ideas for making topic deletion harder to abuse, but due to the nature of this forum nothing can be changed.

2021-03-19 06:25:04

I agree with poast 12.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2021-03-19 08:05:40

Well, if some users wouldn't announce that they reported an offending post everytime they do so would result in the offendor possibly not getting alerted quick enough to delete the topic in question, just my 2 cents.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2021-03-19 10:38:09

@14 Reported!!!

We are pleased, that you made it through the final challenge, where we pretended we were going to murder you. We are throwing a party in honor of your tremendous success. Place the device on the ground, then lay on your stomach with your arms at your sides. A party associate will arrive shortly to collect you for your party. Assume the party submission position or you will miss the party.

2021-03-19 13:26:07

uh what's rong with 14?

2021-03-19 15:24:48 (edited by targor 2021-03-19 15:30:52)

@16 It was a joke. I thought that would be obvious considering post 14, but maybe not. smile

2021-03-19 18:21:20 (edited by Jeffb 2021-03-19 18:29:14)

Yeah if I reported a post I wouldn't tell the whole form about it. The report post button is also supposed to add anonymity to an extent. Besides if you warn someone you reported their post they could just edit it.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2021-03-19 22:36:54

targor wrote:

@16 It was a joke. I thought that would be obvious considering post 14, but maybe not. smile

oh, lol i thought someone deleted their message after the reported warnin

2021-03-20 22:31:34

Honestly the people this was supposed to punish just moved on and were assholes in different ways, plus we were just never asked about this and it was done behind our backs then we were just told that yeah this is shit but deal with it.
Switch it back on, the only people it is now fucking over are the people that never abused it in the first place. We all know who the thread deleters are anyway.
This place reminds me of being back at school where the teacher punished the entire class because two kids slapped each other about a bit.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2021-03-20 23:12:30

exactly what i was thinking when i herd of this. it reminds me of, lets say, a kid gave a nother kid gum because why not, and for some reason that caused a no gum rule at school, or a no sharing rule, because 2 kids got/gave gum

i am a system, i have headmates, and that is my life, and my discord is rings2006wilson#8609

2021-03-21 01:56:57 (edited by Ethin 2021-03-21 02:00:57)

@20, ah, yes. Lets start letting people erase history irrecoverably. Totally a good idea. Not.
This idea was, as you put it, foisted on you without warning because this forum deletes data without any way of retrieving said data. People can wipe out history and discussion without any input from anyone else who posted in the thread. If the forum did anything modern -- which, of course, it doesn't -- and allowed moderators to see deleted posts and gave only mods/admins the power to permanently delete something, this wouldn't be a problem. But it is. At least with the inability to delete something the only thing someone can do is eliminate information in their own posts. They can't eliminate entire discussions. (The World of Warcraft forums also don't allow you to delete your own threads because that's an admin function only. The Steam forums also don't let you delete your threads after seven replies. How come your not bitching about other forums disallowing you to delete threads you create, but you think you have the right to do that here?)

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-03-21 01:58:58

well, then heres a good balence, have it up to a vote somehow, if most want it gone, then its gone, i can see that going wrong, but not as much

i am a system, i have headmates, and that is my life, and my discord is rings2006wilson#8609

2021-03-21 02:01:55 (edited by Ethin 2021-03-21 02:02:26)

@23, and again, I'm wondering: why do you believe you should have the right to delete any threads whatsoever, irrespective of whether they are authored by you or not, on here? There are many forums that do this same thing and I don't see anyone over there bitching about that... Except, of course, people who would abuse the feature if it existed.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-03-21 02:09:07

i see your point, and actually agree, but persinaly i wouldnt use it. so what i think is only mods, and even then special, idk, mods should be able to do that, or maybe only web masters. or maybe just let us only close topics, because then atlest the information isnt gone