2021-03-06 07:12:47

Hello,

I would like to suggest adding adventure to fate a quest to the core to the data base. You may wonder why when this game is not fully accessible to the blind?
The answer is this. There are games that are listed that are not fully accessible to the blind in the data base. This game is playable by the blind with voice over.
The only part of the game that is read out is the squares in the game. However Targor did a explanation on the layout of the floors.

2021-03-07 02:27:37 (edited by Dark 2021-03-07 02:28:23)

Database guidelines wrote:

If you would like your game to recieve an entry page in the audiogames.net database, please consider the following guideline points. In the past when games (such as the bgt example games), have not recieved entries it is usually because they fall short of one of the following guidelines. While these are! guidelines, and thus a game that is defficient in one area may be superior in another, it is generally worth considdering whether your game is good in all areas before requesting that a database entry be made for it.
1: accessibility.
Any game posted on the website must be fully playable and accessible using either game sound alone or a screen reader without reference to graphics. This means that a totally blind gamer can play it with approximately the same degree of effort as a sighted user.
A game which requires constant sighted assistance, memorization of a menu, unclear game sounds or some other time consuming activity to make it playable for a totally blind user is not accessible and therefore will not be listed, though games which merely require the alteration of some settings, such as turning on a blind compatibility mode are allowed so long as it is possible for a totally blind user on his/her own to turn this mode on with a minimum of effort the first time he/she runs the game.

I'd be interested to know firstly which games in the database you don't consider to be accessible and why, and secondly, why you think Quest to the core should get an entry anyway when it is not accessible!

The only game to my knowledge which is in the DB which isn't accessible is random adventure roguelike, and even that I'm unsure of, having not played the game myself, or found out what has happened with the game since that entry was written.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2021-03-07 02:55:58

Is there not some accessible issue with Smuggler 1 through 4? So I do feel that Adventure to fate a quest to the core should be added.
The game is at least ninety percent accessible.

2021-03-07 03:25:20 (edited by Dark 2021-03-07 03:52:22)

Smugglers 2 was entirely inaccessible, due to the items and ship equipment screens being unusable, which is exactly why it does not have a db page.

In all of the other smugglers games, all the information you need is there on screen, none is missing and there is nothing to learn,at most you have to occasionally right click on something to see a full description, and of course that access is built directly in to smugglers 4 plus thanks to the blind compatibility mode. The issue in Smugglers is getting to the text and knowing which things to click on, which often require less used screen reader commands, EG moving between objects in NVDA.

admittedly, I am not sure how much access varies with different screen readers, since I've heard the games worked less well with Jaws than with Supernova or NVD~A.

The issue in quest to the core, is that as opposed to battle arena, the map screen is literally inaccessible, in that you cannot see which squares are what, so will walk into walls, or into traps and must basically play guess work. Yes, there is an awesome guide, but you still can't pick up the game and play it without following this guide, and the guide won't help you if you happen not to be looking at it, and of course, as with Battle arena, the combat screen also is a little cluttered and takes a bit of getting used to to work out what you need to click to do what.

I'd definitely agree the game is "playable", but "accessible", in terms of sighted and blind players having the same amount of access to information in the game, that I'm not as certain about at this stage.

I'm also a little concerned that if quest to the core gets added, people will wrongly assume the other games in the series have similar access problems, especially because people are likely to start at the start.

Again, if anyone else has in put on this I'd be interested to hear.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2021-03-07 10:53:13

Quest to the future is in the db though.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2021-03-08 20:14:07

@Conor, in this instance, Cico Doesn't mean Quest to the future, which is the third Adventure to fate game, but Quest to the core, which was the first, and is rather problematic access wise, as This guide by Targor, shows.