2021-02-24 15:59:43 (edited by Caccio72 2021-02-24 16:53:58)

Thanks a lot Dark, I was aware of these profile options in NVDA, but wouldn't remember to use them as alternatives for specific games, yes, it is the best and fastest solution, many thanks again.

Just one last question:

Speech interrupt I know where and how to set in NVDA, but what about key echo, where can I find its setting?
(this is the 1st time I even hear of it btw, I assume it will prevent NVDA reading the keys as I press them, what makes sense, it can be annoying in a game using this many key-commands)

2021-02-24 17:13:10 (edited by Dark 2021-02-24 17:13:39)

@Caccio, key echo and word echo were what some screen readers called speaking of typed words or characters, so I just mean setting NVDA to not speak typed words, characters or indeed command keys, as well as turning off speech interrupt, sorry for the confusion, blame different screen reader conventions big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2021-02-25 03:37:17

Well, I am trying to play the game following that guide type post of yours, but for example no matter how I keep pressing r or c, I can hear nothing...I can hear some objects and ships around me, I can even make them get ahead of me, but even then still hear nothing when pressing any keys, including the one for hyperspace too...I can hear accelerating to speed 10, also can hear the acceleration when I use overdrive...but for example cannot hear when I fire lasers, nor hear anything when I press f for auto pilot, even when I am in the line of my target or destination...

I am probably still not doing something right, will have to practice playing this game a lot...

2021-02-25 13:21:59

@Caccio, Pressing and holding C should tell you what system is in that direction, EG north sentori system danger rating 3, but you need to hold the key down (this is part of the reason for setting typeing interrupt in NVDA since Freeman69 at the time couldn't get a message spoken without a key press).
Pressing p, (the hyperspace key), does different things according to where you are. If you're over a planet or space station it lands, if your in open space, it will generate a hyperspace field in front of your ship, however if your say in an asteroid field or above a Jovian planet, it does nothing.

Pressing r again does not do anything unless there is a star/planet/space station in range.

with your laser, first, make sure your not flying a worm ship since the worm doesn't come with a laser, though is imho a good way to start out just learning navigation without getting shot at.
Second, I'd forgotten to include in the guide since I never used it, but f9 is a laser inhibitor, so try hitting that.

Hth.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2021-02-25 23:48:17

Ok, thanks for the new infos, will give it another try then.
Btw I did create a hyperspace field, that I noticed, tried to set it ahead of my ship and enter...but nothing happened, due some reason I kept failing to enter it.

(starting with cobra for now, just to check the lasers too, thanks for the f9 hint)

2021-02-26 13:17:59

With the Hyperspace fields, also remember that the field is created at a distance from your ship, indeed some people have used this to their advantage in combat.
This also means if your ship isn't actually moving, you won't go anywhere, since obviously once you create a hyperspace field, you need to physically fly through it.

I actually wish I'd started with the worm or even the ophidian, because the cobra is actually a pretty good ship, meaning I didn't experience a lot of the lower level ones until I started some of the missions where you're forced to use them.

I also don't remember whether your starting ship comes with a laser installed, or whether you need to buy one, so it might just be that you don't have a laser available, check your ship's stats page for details with space bar.

2021-02-26 16:50:38

If you are interested, now you can try wayfar.
wayfar1444.com 7777

2021-02-27 02:54:22 (edited by Caccio72 2021-02-27 02:55:09)

Yes, now I checked and noticed, it is back on, will try it right away, many thanks!

2021-02-27 06:52:33 (edited by Caccio72 2021-02-28 07:24:49)

Dark, you really know what I need, man!

I can sure explore the planet like hell in that Wayfar mud, and something is always happening...just great, many, many thanks for the suggestion!

Edit:

Ok, it is quite heavily crafting/building oriented too, and those I don't like that much, but I am trying to focus on, and progress mostly with exploring instead.

2021-03-07 11:29:41 (edited by Caccio72 2021-03-07 12:47:39)

DARK, PLEASE, FOR GOD SAKE, DO TELL ME, WHAT THE BLOODY HELL IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE NOWADAYS???

NOW I GOT BANNED FROM WAYFAR WHILE I WAS TRYING TO EXPLAIN ITS ADMIN THE BUG WHICH HAPPENED TO ME...HE JUST BANNED ME WHILE I WAS TRYING TO DESCRIBE HOW IT HAPPENED!

JESUS CHRIST, DID ALL THE PEOPLE WENT NUTS???

HE REQUESTED FROM ME HIMSELF TO EXPLAIN, DESCRIBE THAT BUG TO HIM I WAS COMPLAINING ABOUT, THEN BANNED ME WHILE I WAS DOING SO...AGAIN, WHAT THE BLOODY HELL IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE RECENTLY???

CAN'T I REALLY PLAY A SINGLE ONLINE GAME WITHOUT BEING HANDLED THIS REVOLTINGLY UNFAIRLY???

AND SORRY, I KNOW THIS IS NOT SUITABLE FOR THIS FORUM, BUT NOW I REALLY, REALLY, BUT REALLY FEEL REVOLTED LIKE HELL, AND PISSED OFF LIKE HELL, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH, THAT IS NO WAY TO TREAT A PLAYER WHO IS ACTUALLY TRYING TO HELP, GOD DAMNIT PEOPLE, I WISH YOU TO HEAR THIS!!!

Ok, I admit, I may not be the perfectly, exemplary behaving player model in online games, but such a treatment I really did not deserve, especially while I was trying to help finding a bug the best way I could!

2021-03-07 14:42:37

Caccio, you may want to try the beta port of Stellar Aeon, up at stellaraeon.com port 4000.  One of the bigger issues with the game right now is that exploring planets is basically all you can do, but if you just want to explore planets, there's a lot of them.

2021-03-07 15:50:08

@36, tell us more about this StellarAeon project.

2021-03-07 17:33:14

Stellar Aeon is something I've been working on intermittently for the last few years.  Right now, it's got a procedurally generated universe you can explore, with mining and jobs.  There's alien civilizations in place, but you can't really interact with them or do anything right now.  There's no aliens in human space.

The game is technically not a mud, but it has a text based interface and a blind mode to reduce spam, similar to Alter Aeon.  AA and SA use a lot of common code, so you might notice things that are similar between the two games, including the account system.  There's no custom client like mush-z with sounds or music.

The basic idea of Stellar Aeon right now:

- You start out with a single crappy ship
- You mine from the local asteroid to learn commands and upgrade your ship
- You do a few starter jobs to learn how to do jobs (and jobs give a lot more money than ordinary mining)
- You get a second round of starter jobs that help encourage you to travel to a nearby star system
- You're then at the point where you can buy or build additional ships, get extra personnel, go exploring, etc
- If you want to go really far distances, there's a wormhole/flux network as well as a basement universe for fast travel

But again, remember that it's very much Beta, and I haven't had a lot of time to spend on it in the last six months.  Things like managing personnel work, but you might find the commands to be annoying.  There's a bunch of channels for talking to other people (see 'channels' for a list), and most of them connect over to Alter Aeon so you might see people responding from there.

Normally I wouldn't promote it in such an incomplete state, but the original poster looked like he was having a hard time, and like the exploration aspect might work for him.

2021-03-07 19:28:54

keep us posted as you get more done if you do, it sounds fantastic and I'd be eager to try it out.

2021-03-07 20:22:54 (edited by Dark 2021-03-07 20:32:58)

@dentin, same here, I love the idea of a text game with crew management and planet exploration and was always hoping more got done with Stellareon.

@Caccio, I'm afraid at this point in time, given the frequency of bans you've received from games, I wonder if perhaps you need to consider whether the issue here is not perhaps what is wrong with other people, but what you yourself are doing.

Personality clashes sometimes happen, some games have admins who are less pleasant, however as someone who has played a stupidly huge number of muds and online games for the last 15 or so years, can count the number of warnings I've received on one hand, has never once been banned from a game, despite not being a stranger to mental illness.

I can say that most of the time, people are reasonable if you are reasonable to them, and on the occasions they are not, either simply shutting up and working around matters, finding someone more reasonable to talk to, or (in worst  cases, ), just hauling stakes and moving all avoid unpleasantness.

I don't know what happened, and I'm not in a position to judge this situation since I wasn't on the game at the time myself, however, I can say given the variety of people and situations you seem to have had this trouble with, I do wonder if perhaps you need to think about what the  reason for this trouble you keep having actually is.

2021-03-07 21:43:54

Dark, for everything holy, I was trying to explain, describe him the bug which happened to me, and that man banned me while I was doing this, on his own request, in a private room where he teleported me to , get it?

He requested from me to describe the bug, I was in the middle of doing it, and he just banned me, get it?

No, this is really something what I cannot grasp, this is really just too much for me to bear...

Again, I may act this and that way, but in this case I was banned by the admin whose instructions I was listening to, whose orders I was trying to follow, in order to assist his game and its community with my report, for heaven sake!

As I noticed from his reaction and behavior, he was obviously convinced of me lying, merely making up the whole thing, as if I would have any use of it...

2021-03-07 21:49:16

And thanks, I will check that Stellarion game too, although I fear I will be banned from it too, even if I try to be actually useful to the game and its community...no, I was never pissed off this much my whole god damn life!

2021-03-07 22:56:42

@Caccio, I wouldn't like to pass judgement on this situation, but I'm afraid this seems to be exactly the same position you've been in previously, with game after game after game.

I don't doubt you had good intentions, but again, speaking as someone who regularly reports bugs and issues and has engaged in beta testing, admins don't usually ban people out of hand for such things.

How often did you report this bug? Did you ask more than once in a day for it to be fixed? Did you submit one bug report and then leave it to the admin to fix in their own time? Were you overly effusive in your negativity?

Again, I don't know, I wasn't there, but I can say that when I've been on Wayfar1444 myself, Hawkpader, the game's chief admin strikes me as a perfectly reasonable fellow and not someone to hand out arbitrary bans.

Still, I am only making suggestions here, what you do is up to you.

2021-03-08 03:47:00 (edited by Caccio72 2021-03-08 04:09:21)

To all those who are eventually planning to play Wayfar1444, this is why I got banned again, it was all I posted in the last hours time:

My character in the game is called Ishtaar:

[chatzone] Hawgpadre says, "im not going to enforce racial slurs"
[chatzone] ironcross says, "lol"
[chatzone] Hawgpadre says, "wow Lundin fucking rude"
[chatzone] Maxum says, "oh boy hawg"
[chatzone] Hawgpadre says, "watch this"
chat agreed, some moral limits should really be determined
[chatzone] Ishtaar says, "agreed, some moral limits should really be determined"
chat in the chat I mean
[chatzone] Ishtaar says, "in the chat I mean"
[chatzone] Hawgpadre says, "he's banned"
[chatzone] Hawgpadre says, "ishtaar you're also fucking banned"
[chatzone] lundin2 says, "nice going. Hawgpadre: im not going to enforce racial slurs"
[chatzone] Hawgpadre says, "goodbye"
chat for suggesting some moral limits in chat? this is all I did in this last hour
[chatzone] Ishtaar says, "for suggesting some moral limits in chat? this is all I did in this last hour"
Your character is temporarily hosed.
*** Disconnected ***
Connection to Mud was closed.

Just for you to know what to expect in the game chat.

Edit:

I just read your last post Dark, I forgot to report that bug, so I mentioned it again when the admin appeared, asking for it to be fixed.

Then he teleported me to a separate room to explain, describe him the bug.

I have started doing so, and got banned before I could finish, I merely described how it happened.

But this 2nd case is even more obvious and revolting.

So I am done with this community, I don'T want to have anything to do with people, (admins in this case even), who are capable of banning their players merely for suggesting some moral limits to be applied to the game chat.

Will check that other suggested game next.

2021-03-08 04:44:16

Caccio72 wrote:

To all those who are eventually planning to play Wayfar1444, this is why I got banned again, it was all I posted in the last hours time:

My character in the game is called Ishtaar:

[chatzone] Hawgpadre says, "im not going to enforce racial slurs"
[chatzone] ironcross says, "lol"
[chatzone] Hawgpadre says, "wow Lundin fucking rude"
[chatzone] Maxum says, "oh boy hawg"
[chatzone] Hawgpadre says, "watch this"
chat agreed, some moral limits should really be determined
[chatzone] Ishtaar says, "agreed, some moral limits should really be determined"
chat in the chat I mean
[chatzone] Ishtaar says, "in the chat I mean"
[chatzone] Hawgpadre says, "he's banned"
[chatzone] Hawgpadre says, "ishtaar you're also fucking banned"
[chatzone] lundin2 says, "nice going. Hawgpadre: im not going to enforce racial slurs"
[chatzone] Hawgpadre says, "goodbye"
chat for suggesting some moral limits in chat? this is all I did in this last hour
[chatzone] Ishtaar says, "for suggesting some moral limits in chat? this is all I did in this last hour"
Your character is temporarily hosed.
*** Disconnected ***
Connection to Mud was closed.

Just for you to know what to expect in the game chat.

Edit:

I just read your last post Dark, I forgot to report that bug, so I mentioned it again when the admin appeared, asking for it to be fixed.

Then he teleported me to a separate room to explain, describe him the bug.

I have started doing so, and got banned before I could finish, I merely described how it happened.

But this 2nd case is even more obvious and revolting.

So I am done with this community, I don'T want to have anything to do with people, (admins in this case even), who are capable of banning their players merely for suggesting some moral limits to be applied to the game chat.

Will check that other suggested game next.

Aren't you the guy that talked about slicing a dog up?  You are no longer welcome on Wayfar.  I think you're probably banned forever!

2021-03-08 04:53:35

uh...

Bach is an astronomer, discovering the most marvelous stars. Beethoven challenges the universe. I only try to express the soul and the heart of man."
― Frederic Chopin.

2021-03-08 05:09:44 (edited by Caccio72 2021-03-08 05:12:19)

I am the one who asked the admin 1st, before I posted it, wether he will allow me to post what I can do to dogs in the Discworld mud, which is one of the leading, most popular muds nowadays, and after I got his permission, I told it.

So if you think someone should be banned from a game for telling, with the approval of the admin, what he can do in some other, very popular mud to virtual, npc dogs, then you are right, I really don't belong to such a community.

Nor do all those other people playing Discworld mud according to this btw.

(interesting how you forgot to mention, that it was all about a game, while you are trying to make it sound as if it was referred to a rl matter)

2021-03-08 07:20:36

Yeah. you're fucking banned

2021-03-08 10:21:12 (edited by Caccio72 2021-03-08 11:37:02)

Will you please inform me why exactly did I get banned for the 2nd time Mr Admin?

For the 1st time you banned me while I was trying to explain, describe you a bug which I was, and am still convinced of happening to me, to your own request.

The 2nd time?

Was it for that Discworld game comment, which you allowed me to post, and then stated (repeatedly even) how you will not ban me for this time, but the next one if I make another similar one?
(after all you allowed it yourself)

Or, since I have made no other comments since then, but only that last one I pasted here, was it for asking to determine some moral limits for the game chat?

Either you just crossed your own promise, or you banned me for that last appeal of mine, there is no other possibility.

Good luck finding new players with such an attitude and moderation for your game.

It just feels so disappointing a great game like Wayfar having such an unfair and unreliable staff.

Edit:

Just out of curiosity:
If you want to stop certain players to be annoying in the chat in general, (for that is what you will probably claim), why don't you simply ban them from the chat, why are you preventing people from playing, by banning them from the game itself too?

2021-03-08 11:49:46 (edited by Caccio72 2021-03-08 11:52:49)

Can someone please post the link to that Stellar Aeon game?

Since, as you said, it is not a mud, I guess it is a browser based game then, playable on its homepage, trying to google for it right now, but without any clear enough results...

Edit:
Ok, never mind, found it, it's still playable as a mud, stellaraeon.com port 4000.