2021-02-26 22:11:58

Honestly he should've written this in Python.
BGT only supports two file types, OGG and WAV, and it doesn't support MP3's
It's out of support. That's the most obvious one. BGT hasn't been updated in years.
The music skips and crashes sometimes. You know how you can be playing a BGT game, and all the sudden it stops responding and looping the last second until you close the game? Yup, that happens in this thing as well.
Also I'm sure the sound output and whatever the heck BGT uses for that kind of thing is out of date as well.

Let me know if you can think of any more reasons python would've been better for this project.

-----
Matthew's Horse Needs Your Support!
Discord: misterkrabs69

2021-02-26 22:34:02

Why people continue to develop with BGT is my question.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2021-02-26 22:48:00

@27
You're question is a very good one, indeed.

With Tunmi in particular, though, he's said he's trying to make the switch over from BGT to Python.
Why he'd start testing for a game created in BGT directly after saying that I don't know. I'm sure we can ask him that question at some point however.
Also Minionslayer, I was told to warn you that you're going to have to come online on GC soon or your beta thingy's getting removed or something. If you don't remember the link PM me on discord and I'll give it to you again.

-----

2021-02-26 22:48:04

Because its comfortable for many and it has been the go to for audio games for many a year.

Their is no such thing as a master.  One is never done learning, and those who claim to be a master at something are far from becoming one!!

2021-02-26 23:12:11

It's kind of that comfort. When you sit in a very comfy chair but then say you want to switch over to a harder one, you're going to want to stay in that comfy chair. I'm still trying to move my butt from this comfy chair (BGT) and move into the harder chair (Python).

-----
YouTube
GitHub
Discord: @tunmi13#1880

2021-02-26 23:50:29

@30
Well keep in mind that nice and comfortable chair is to the point of falling apart, so many people have used it for so long.

And also keep in mind that there's always a cushion for that harder chair.
That harder chair can support a lot more people and has been used a lot more but you don't see it crumbling do you?

I guess you could also say that that comfortable chair is nice and comfortable and wasn't made for many people beyond the blind community to use. And if you did I'd tell you that the harder chair is better because by the time I'd finish writing this sentence the comfortable chair would've fallen apart, putting you in a position to land on your butt on the ground. By that point, you'd have been better off getting up and moving over to the harder chair than letting the softer chair fall apart underneath you. I mean, either way you'd still have to move over to the harder chair if you plan on continuing to develop games right?

-----

2021-02-27 01:46:22

Not to mention that BGT wasn't even meant for software programming anyway, so you're going to have to move over eventually for that anyway if nothing else.
Personally, if you want to get serious about radio, this is when you need real station control software such as Station Playlist Studio plus the encoder. Ross will put you on a 9 month payment plan if you contact their sales department, you just don't see that listed directly on the site. You also don't need the pro bundle if you don't want time and temperature announcements or the requests script. If you can't afford to hold the fort on your own, then apply for a show on one of the established stations like TBRN or Dodgeradio. The STation Playlist Remote playlist control tool is free and is typically given to you by station managers.

2021-02-27 03:32:59

I wouldn't describe python as a harder chair, just a more comfortable chair with better modes to make you more comfortable, just a further walk away

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2021-02-27 04:08:47 (edited by tunmi13 2021-02-27 04:09:09)

Does it have massage mode?
Just kidding. But I am trying to broaden my skills before going exclusive. Right now I'm having that issue where Pythons cripts run fine on my computer but when I compile them they bring up errors for other people, and Google isn't being much help right now, so I'll have to see.

-----
YouTube
GitHub

2021-02-27 06:26:37 (edited by Zarvox 2021-02-27 06:40:12)

@34 that's because you shouldn't be trying to compile right now. You should be trying to learn and debug and dive into python. Instead, you are rushing for releases without knowing shit. I made the switch to python with the right mindset, and I have no regrets of leaving bgt behind. Clearly you are not in the right mindset, which is why you still can't leave it. Fix your mindset before you even touch python. You have to make lots of sacrifices; you aren't ready to give up those sacrifices. So don't even think about touching python until you are ready to.
As for the question, what sacrifices? That's one you need to sit down and think of on your own. We shouldn't give you the answer. I mean, you can find the answers if you look on the forum, if you really want. But you won't be thinking about your own problems and barriers if you do that. And since you won't put in the effort to figure them out on your own, you most likely won't put in the effort to sacrifice them either.
You will know when it is time to move to python. It is a never before felt feeling. You haven't had it yet, so don't touch python. Well you already have, so instead, just stop working with python. You are not ready to handle it. And no, I won't tell you what the feeling is like either. You have to figure this out on your own. Plus it might feel different anyway for you. Not sure.
And I will say this. Even a dumbass can do things correctly. I'm a dumbass and I can compile scripts. It isn't a measure of intelligence as much as it is having the right mindset. I'm a dumbass who has done a lot and gotten a lot smarter, and that's because of the right mindset. You can be very smart, but hit hundreds of roadblocks without solutions, simply for taking the wrong approach.

2021-02-27 06:46:52

You really need to find an interactive curriculum, ideally with an accessible ide, and learn it from the ground up. Then apply the skills you learn to game dev. Even the Nathan Tech tutorial is more than enough to get you started, though not exactly interactive, it does teach you some crucial foundations. And for the love of all that's good get yourself a stackoverflow account.

2021-02-27 07:59:56 (edited by Zarvox 2021-02-27 08:00:16)

I just use duck duck go for my questions and stack overflow is usually the answer lol. Nathan's tutorials are what I used as well. But Jack, I think he already has that knowledge. He just doesn't have the right mindset.

2021-02-27 10:57:22

and I do not think its called compiling, since its not a compiled language, I think packing is a better word to call it

2021-02-27 11:07:17 (edited by mohamed 2021-02-27 11:12:10)

I won't call it a hard chair, Your problem is not the understanding of the language sintax, Your problem is understanding the logic of, Real programming not the bgt's stupid way of programming with includes and that's it, You must understand how to deal with libraries, Don't wait for the developer of the lib to fix it for you go fix it, If you said that you can't do it, Then sorry, Python is not for you, I can say i can't use python if i didn't edit like 30% of libraries i use to fit what i need, Except my game/program is going to turn out in a way I don't want, When you pack it into exe and sending errors but when from the source it doesn't? Maybe try deleting the dist build folder, Since last i remember you use pyinstaller, Delete it and delete the build folder as well, Try recompiling, Try until you get it setupped, Don't expect to get your thing setupped from the first try, Because no, Programming doesn't work that way, Expect the libraries that come with python bugged, Because this is not bgt, It's a language that relies on libraries and anyone, Including you, With a bit of knowlidge can make a library and post it on pypi, Python doesn't check your code for errors except for some types of checking, Type checking? Name handling? None/null exceptions? That's all up to you to do, Python won't do it for you.

2021-02-27 12:17:42 (edited by Zarvox 2021-02-27 12:21:04)

Yeah to add on to what @39 said, I am actually building my own library for my own needs, and I actually ended up restructuring lucia's virtualinput file because I hated it being a class. So you have to either know what your libraries do, and/or make one yourself to use for your needs. And most people are kind enough to make their things open sourced, or at least available to be used by the public. So there is no excuse for you.

2021-02-27 17:14:55

@34, in my experience, harder chairs are better for your back.
Most of the ones I've sat in are good at forcing you to sit up straight.

I think the rest of you guys are right though, at least mostly.
Tunmi I personally think you should quit defending BGT first. I mean if you're still defending it in arguments obviously you still think it's a great tool, even though it doesn't support HTTPS and doesn't support any types of audio except for OGG and WAV. You know, in the sighted community... Well that doesn't really exist, more like the rest of the world, if people don't see HTTPS on your website they're starting to get to the point where they think that hackers live all over the thing, and are waiting to steal your information at any point they possibly can.
I mean come on! Talk about stealing information! BGT compiled scripts come with viruses.
You had viruses back during the summer, and when I tried to download easycord to record something with it it completely blocked me from downloading it. Not defender, I mean chrome did that. I've never seen chrome do that ever in my life but for that one time.
I mean, not that BGT games can't be good. Obviously your projects for the most part have been, but I would recommend making this, golden crayon, your last BGT game.

-----

2021-02-27 17:25:00

@38 If he is simply using pyinstaller, you are correct, it's not compiled. However, if it's being ran through cython, then it is.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-02-27 17:31:40

When I first got into audiogames I didn't really get into them because I was scared to death they were viruses. It was Sam who actually explained about the whole flagging bgt thing

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2021-02-27 18:26:27

@Zarvoc I personally agree that I'm probably not int he right mindset, but I think I have this habit of feeling like even when I look something up on Stack Overflow, it either has vague answers, or the questions aren't even answered. Don't worry, I'm not rushing any releases. The issue I'm simply having is that some people claim it works fine for them, but others claim they are getting a fatal error. Because when I am running the scripts and manipulating them, everything is going according to plan. All my code is fine, at least to my knowledge. But it is all about after the code is cythonized, and the exe is compiled. I run the exe file, working perfectly fine. Hand it off? Then problems start happening.

-----
YouTube
GitHub

2021-02-27 18:28:44

Maybe you're forgetting to include something in the folder you're giving to other people?

-----

2021-02-27 18:44:01

You can't just, give the executable off to other people. You have to know a thing or two about your dependencies first, and then distribute your executable with said dependencies. If you want to take the easy way out, you'll hand your code to someone trusted and have them figure it out for you, but, a, you already know how that's basically ground 0 in this community unfortunately, and b, you can figure this out.

2021-02-27 19:07:03

These are things literally every programmer minus those who have only ever used BGT deal with.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2022-03-21 17:53:43

There is now a Python version I released yesterday that can be found here:
http://tunmi13.ddns.net/projects/radiol … python.zip
For now, it only has basic features, but later I will implement the features from the original BGT version.
For now, the BGT version is still available, but that may change.

-----
YouTube
GitHub

2022-03-21 17:56:08 (edited by tunmi13 2022-03-21 17:57:06)

LOL it's hilarious seeing some of my old full-of-excuses posts in here. I'm not saying I've changed, but it's rather different.

-----
YouTube
GitHub

2022-03-22 02:48:52

Yup

-----