2021-02-22 11:42:33 (edited by Ugat 2021-02-22 11:43:22)

so, yesterday i preformed a hp furmware update through windows update, but when I shut the pc down, the hole thing would not turn off, screen whent black but I stil hird the pc fanns, turned it off, then back on, but the ssd is making a sort of lo ringing noise, it stopps, then continues, screen is stil black, is their anything I can do

Suffering's what keeps me alive.
If one never suffers, one doesn't live propperly.
So embrace the pain, the suffering life has brought you and will bring you in the future

2021-02-22 16:50:52

Why do I have a strong suspition that your bios is broken? Try to reset it by putting the CMos battery out for 15 minutes.

I love audiogames, a specially some offline ones like top speed.

2021-02-22 17:10:30

yes, it turned out to be my bios, fixed it though, but just a question, for future refferance, I want my usb drive to be my bios recovery drive, but how to find the bios on my pc and coppy it, as hp's driver and support webpage sucks ass, cause when I searched for my product, it just redirected me to another desktop with a differant motherboard

So embrace the pain, the suffering life has brought you and will bring you in the future

2021-02-22 18:58:30

Ok so for information, this will be how the hp bios update works.
You probably turned it off during the update fucking up the bios.
You probably don't know or are not used to the phases of the update.
1.  you update and are told to wait.
Your speech will stutter and go bad and your fan will race like crazy, wait till that stops, then hit update when asked though you probably did that allready twice.
Wait till the system auto shuts down because it will say so.
The system will restart.
Now here is the tricky part.
Not sure about the screen but the fans will race and the system will not respond.
Its ok, just wait 15 minutes or so.
During this time the system will run, with a racing fan, shut off, run with a racing fan, shut off, run off quickly twice, run with the fan racing for a short time, shut off quickly then run then stay running.
After this is done, depending on the system assuming laptop.
Turn it off, take out battery if it has one and remove all devices.
If its got an internal obviously don't do that, hold the power button for 20 seconds to flush the firmware chips and ram then turn on.
If nothing happens after a second you are probably in an os menu so press enter then the system will be fine.
On a desktop at least when I updated a prodesk.
Run the update, it will transfer and then it will shut down.
The system will reboot and its done.
If you havn't updated before then yeah thats a problem.
Ages ago I had a friend have a drive issue, and corrupt his system.
I got him to run the steps he had to generate the noise he heard that had him needing to turn off the drive screwing up the os.
It was scanning and reinstalling dos fixed it.
Unlike windows, I didn't need to reformat to reinstall windows and didn't lose anything much bar the dos configurations.
I did have thanks to a computer geek that got things for business an updated dos version so he got an upgrade.
So let it run it will run itself.

2021-02-22 19:11:46 (edited by Ugat 2021-02-22 19:13:39)

that is probbobly the mistake I did, I waited for an hour for it to update, and when it just stayd that way, my  monitor is for some reason fucked, probably has to do with it beeing over 8 years old, then I turned the pc off, then on, but nothing was popping up on my monitor, so I kinda freaked out for a bit
edit
I first updated it through windows update, then pressed update and shut down

2021-02-22 19:15:34

hahahaha, I had two bios updates on my laptop and @3 is correct the fan will run at full speed as soon as the update starts. the way how my laptop works when updating the bios. First I download the update, then I press the install button, then I wait till it sais it is going to restart, then I wait untill the fan stops, then I press the power button and wait 30 seconds to a minute to allow it to boot back into windows with a new bios. The diffference is my desktop does the bios update in windows and then I restart to switch to the new bios version as my system does have an a and b bios system. So what it does is it flashes the A bios first and if it works then it will update the B bios after rebooting and if the update were to fail with the A bios it will switch over to the B bios and allow me to recover the system from their.

2021-02-22 19:23:16

that is handy, I sat for like a hole 3 hours, searching for the bios file before I found it, then plugged my USB, and pressed windows b, held that down and held the power button, but I seriously hate hps website, I want an easy way to have the uefuey for my hp moria 3 motherboard

2021-02-23 01:55:54

Ok so this is microsoft's fucking fault. HWhoever thought that forcing bios updates through windows update was a good idea should pay a  visit to a mental institution. I mean this type of thing happens when a bios update is forced. And what happens when  you flash the wrong firmware that windows update detected incorrectly and fuck your pc? Is ms going to pay for that? I bet not.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2021-02-23 07:04:06

My Lenovo laptop ran its bios update in like 3 minutes, then it came back. But the fan ran at the highest speed.

2021-02-23 11:40:36

well, did not happen with me, had to use my computers emergansy recovery mode, and that was a real pain in the ass to get through

2021-02-23 18:17:13

@9 that is the same for my Lenovo laptop

2021-02-24 00:44:08

Trouble is, if you interrupt the update in any way, as an  inexperienced user will likely do, you end up with a very expensive paperweight.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2021-02-24 01:44:39

Yeah, that's probably why they make mobos with an A/B bios now. If you brick the first one, you can recover with the second one.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-02-24 02:25:54

what wiat those are only from desktops last I checked.

2021-02-24 02:27:58

@13 is correct the second bios is only used to recover the system. If you somehow have managed to mess up both bios my system does have a way to flash a good working bios from a flash drive even though the bios is broken. I can't remember what it is called for Gigabyte's bords.

2021-02-24 02:44:45

Why need to interupt the bios update while the system clearly states that don't interupt it until the update process has completed?

2021-02-24 03:35:53

16, it doesn't always say that. Multiple people on forums have said that it flashes after reboot on a blank screen. It is really easy for  a sighted person who isn't very tech savvy to think it froze, or even if it says don't turn off, they may think its a virus.

2021-02-24 04:30:03

@16 sometimes it can also be done with in the windows environment. That is how my system gets updated while I was flashing a new bios image to display a new logo when my pc starts.

2021-02-24 11:23:41

how do I know if my desktop has a b bios

2021-02-24 19:30:16

Well, yeah windows update.
I always get the normal ones but after doing updates, well it shouldn't sit there.
Windows update did have bios updates from hp but no idea on age.
I did do this between updates on my hp, but you can probably hide those with the show hide windows updates troubleshooter and yeah bitlocker and windows bios updates just doesn't actually work.
Now, I agree with the poster.
Actually unless its really old, windows update shouldn't update thirdparty drivers or software unless its microsoft.
Simply put some of those are old or simply just don't work.
Chance is the update never even started in your windows system.
I'd in that situation turn it off, pull the cell and do a firmware reset with holding power for like 20 sec then start it again.
I have no idea why even after official updates microsoft deems it necessary to install its own bios update.
I mean I do do that between real updates especially if hp hasn't released their bios but really I have no idea what all that is about.
I have downgraded drivers on some older systems to the generic crappy microsoft ones where appropriate.
I have a couple systems I have been using modified hacked drivers on for various things.
However said things are no longer needed and the user of the system has got many bsod events so I just had windows update loads its generic drivers on which are old as all hell but the system is as old as all hell so its ok in that case.
Actually windows is semi good at installing drivers for stuff which are semi ok after the fact.
For example, if you install com0com on the system, microsoft / windows update will actually update its third party driver with one from windows update itself when you do install that.
Also its optional to install drivers now and while I do do it you don't need to actually do that.
Now if they would add something like hide updates and a function to export the list of hidden things and their reason to your ms account and to a feed back request that would be good.
I don't think windows update should handle bios, and drivers associated with a system, unless the system is more than 5 years old and most likely outside its support period, or its a critical one which the manufacturers just refuse to address, or a windows update will fuck up and stop if version x is not loaded.
Windows update seems to update whenever it exists.
Worse still there are no indications on what things do and what they are supposed to be for.
For example, intel system update, or hp system update as generic descriptions.
Of course you install them, you figure out that things just work.
On the other side, hp is and has been late with updating various things and backdating them.
So I got a bios update which said updated support for windows 10 version x.
I had had windows 10 version x for the last 4 months.
It did work but that was beyond the point, you'd think they would release before things needed updating.
Saying that at least hp still support some 6th and higher generation systems.
Even the old 7th generation has minimal support but since the intel dch system updates you can at least use latest drivers for your display and universal systems.
Amd has its own and I don't use the oem updates from hp.
Obviously there is some risks because amd runs all its public betas for free to but if you are not critical well its ok.
With all the  bug reports things are fixed faster.
Then again some older stuff is never updated.