2021-02-23 14:36:52

As a bit of a break from the more heavier work I've been doing of late, I decided to set aside some time to put together an accessible scientific calculator.
I preface this by expressing that I understand Windows does have a built in calculator, but I wanted to approach this from the angle of accessibility.
Giving screen readers access to more data and more readable data than they otherwise might be able to see.
I've built this short demonstration of what the product currently can do, and I'd love to hear any feedback you have.
https://nathantech.net/productdemo.php

Nathan Smith
Managing Director of Nathan Tech
It's not disability
It's ability!

2021-02-23 15:09:32

Gotta say, didn't know you were a fellow Brit! At least by the sounds of it.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2021-02-23 15:18:45

This sounds cool.

If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2021-02-23 15:36:30

nice

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-02-23 15:37:26

@2 sure am!

Nathan Smith
Managing Director of Nathan Tech
It's not disability
It's ability!

2021-02-23 17:31:24

great job!

"But did you, in your three-piece psychology and 1950's technobrain,
ever take a look behind the eyes of the hacker?  Did you ever wonder what
made him tick, what forces shaped him, what may have molded him?"

2021-02-23 18:32:42

Nice. Now lets make it do statistics. Lol

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-02-23 18:50:00

One thing I wondered about, aren't brackets like [] for matrices? I know we use () for changing the order of precedence like (2*3)/4. I've never seen [] used for that, but I seem to remember something about matrices... I've always been horrible at math though so idk really but just curious.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-02-23 21:33:33

@8, yeah, typically brackets are used for matrices.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-02-24 00:45:44 (edited by stewie 2021-02-24 00:46:03)

The [] (or large versions of them) usually surround a matrix but they can be used for clarity in more complicated math equations, like [(x+y)^2 + x + y]^2 or something.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2021-02-24 06:36:45 (edited by Ethin 2021-02-24 06:40:11)

That too, I've seen that especially with really complicated ones like the corrected trapezoidal rule formula for the Hermite quadrature.

My Github

2021-02-24 09:42:08

Hy there!
@1: Just curious, what language are you using to make those awesome products we're seeing recently from you, like the sunrise waterfallor  caleup, sorry for the spelling. If you are gonna make them opensource, I would be more than willing to contribute some functions to it, like higher order roots, logarithms of any bases and arguments, etc. Perhaps some matrix operations, like multiplication, addition, inversion, det, etc. I think there would be a need for functions that would calculate the min of a row of numbers given by a formula or something, maybe something that could calculate the derivative of a function. Btw about statistics functionality, it would be nice if it could behave like the R language, for those who know what I mean. I know I am probably overexagerating with this thing, but this and many more things could be added if you would eventually decide to make this open source.

2021-02-24 10:07:11

Hi.
Awesome. Is Braille supported as well?
I've just looked at your amazing collection of great software. Wow. You're awesome...

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2021-02-24 10:33:24

Question. This was great, but isn’t windows calculator open source? In theory, wouldn’t it be possible to contribute all these features to Windows calculator and submit a pull request? Sorry for asking, I just don’t know what the benefit of having a new calculator app is, but maybe there’s something I don’t know so I figured I’d ask.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2021-02-24 11:28:24

well, for one, the windows calculator app is written in c++, so good luck pulling it off with most of this community. Not saying this community isn't good at programming, or that most of us don't know c++ well enough, just saying it's gonna be pretty tuff. Plus, with what we're proposing, we'd have to make changes to the UI which, frankly speaking, we aren't good enough at to be honest. And, if we get it wrong which likely could happen, the pull request won't be accepted for merge. So, we'd have a calculator app that's not any much different from what we are doing right now with this app.

2021-02-24 14:36:18

@1, Really liked this calculater. I always wanted to see something like this. Great work! big_smile
Just had a question, does it also support cubes and cube-roots? If not could that be added too?

I am not someone who is ashamed of my past. I'm actually really proud. I know I made a lot of mistakes, but they, in turn, were my life lessons. Drew Barrymore
Follow me on Twitter, Discord and Instagram