2021-02-21 22:46:45 (edited by redfox 2021-02-21 22:48:40)

So I've always been able to type decently quickly, not astounding or anything, but still...Anyway, I've found that I miss letters a lot, especially without me noticing, which makes me look worse at English than I am. Are there any general tips anyone can give to make me type better? I know that's a very open ended question, but I honestly don't really know.

As I was writing this, I thought of an example, I write questino and functino a lot... Could a better keyboard help some because my laptop keyboard that I use has really small keys?

[Edit]: I put this in the wrong room, could this possibly be moved to Off Topic? [/edit]

----------
The  canonical, "Python is a great first language", elicited, "Python is a great last language!"
My Github
"When you play the Game of Thrones, you either win, or you die."

Thumbs up

2021-02-22 00:25:27

IDK happens to me too. Jsut thign taht, etc. It never feels wrong to me when I type those words thee wrong way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wake me up when the world has unfucked itself
Is time really linear?
You can find me on discord: ironcross#8090, though I don't know why you'd want to.

Thumbs up

2021-02-22 17:34:28

If you aren't typing using a standard hand position, that is, fingers on ASDF and JKL;, you will be slower and have worse accuracy overall (or so I've been told). There's a program in the db, Rocky's Typing Tutor if I recall correctly, which goes over the positions, provides practice, and keeps track of your accuracy. It ultimately comes down to your persistence and dedication, however. Know you always misspell a word? Check it before sending that chat.

Thumbs up

2021-02-22 20:37:36

Yeah I do it too, especially when sitting on my bed with this laptop on my lap. Oyu instead of you, jsut not just, etc. I also sometimes capitalize the first two letters of a word. This is the exact reason I always proofread, at least for school things.

2021-02-22 21:41:51

NVDA supports announcing spelling errors in Firefox, Chrome, Word, and most Win10 apps. I'd turn that on.

My Blog
Twitter: @camlorn38

2021-02-23 11:23:16

There's a small possibility it's actually your keyboard. To test, you can hold down both shift keys, and type:
The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

If it works, you should get that sentence in all caps. If not, it may be because your laptop's keyboard doesn't have NKRO.

HTH.

Take care,
Chris Norman
Selling my soul to andertons.co.uk since 2012.

2021-02-23 17:34:24

A mechanical keyboard may also help with this issue. It offers better response mechanisms for typists to know when they've pressed a key. This isn't a great solution for laptop users, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

2021-02-23 18:12:58

I still do it, and have a mechanical.

Is time really linear?
You can find me on discord: ironcross#8090, though I don't know why you'd want to.

Thumbs up

2021-02-23 18:21:15

I have a mechanical and sometimes still do it, but it actually got better immediately after getting the mechanical.

Sincerely,
Lucas.

Thumbs up

2021-02-23 18:59:44

It depends which mechanical you get.  I have the cherry mx clear for example, which is intentionally such that you barely brush a key and it triggers.  This is because my particular typing problem is that I miss keys on a not-sensitive-enough keyboard.  I'm not a soft typist by any means, but when deviating from home row I only really brush some of them.

But some of the other cherry mx variants will only trigger if you bottom out the key entirely.  I don't remember which.  There's like 6 of them.  But it's easy enough to look up.

This won't fix the inversion problem where have is ahve.  I don't think there is a fix for that other than spellcheck or typing slower.  I at least can focus explicitly on my typing sometimes and get it right consistently that way, but that's not useful in a context wherein you're actually trying to do work.

My Blog
Twitter: @camlorn38

2021-02-23 21:10:34

On a mechanical for me it's very rare, minus holding the shift key for too long, and so I use a mechanical whenever possible. I'm in a hotel currently though, and will be for a little while, so having to just use my laptop's keyboard.

2021-02-23 22:51:43

Typing slower will certainly help. The issue seems to be that OP is typing faster than they're thinking through what they want to type. Even if you intend to type out "just" your fingers are jumping ahead to letters appearing later in the word, so you get things like "jsut" or "juts." I think there's even a name for this phenomenon, but it's slipping my mind.

Cherry MX Blues are the best for tactile response; however, they are loud, clicky, and not great for work environments. I have a keyboard that uses those switches and another that uses silent reds that is significantly quieter but lacks the tactile feel of pressing down on the keys. Fortunately they don't require fully bottoming out so that makes it nice. The more common ones (blue, brown, red) have 2-4 mm travel distances to actuate which is why they're so common.

2021-02-23 22:56:40

I have reds and they respond about halfway through the key travel.

Is time really linear?

Thumbs up