2021-02-18 16:32:39

@24, I'm using ubuntu, gnome with the mate desktop on top, but only when I feel like it. Otherwise it's just the tipical ubuntu with gnome3. Yeah, it might be kinda inaccessible, however it's good enough to bridge the gap between no gui at all and too much gui, to the point even the terminal is a kind of gui of sorts..
@24, I would do that too, but I just have too many apps and things on the main C drive to reinstall them. I don't have any problem with documents, have all of them backed up, but the apps...something else. So, how do you guys usually do it? will the reset this pc option in settings delete my programs too? I don't have so much experience with windows anymore, using linux full time nowadays.

2021-02-18 17:33:06 (edited by Dark 2021-02-18 17:35:07)

I appreciate people's comments about reinstalling windows.
But that is just not something I'd ever consider doing now anyway, firstly because of the trouble needed to setup games and email accounts and reinstall microsoft office keys and what not, and secondly because quite simply, because I can't get to my local computer place because of lockdown, I have no recourse if anything really serious does go wrong with the reinstall, even if I did wish to try it myself, not to mention the fact that windows update is literally the only trouble I'm having right now anyway and everything else works fine, including updates to windows defender and other security parts of the os.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2021-02-18 18:25:51

@27 reinstalling windows is not as a big of a deal like it was 10 years ago. I had to reinstall windows a few weeks as something was broken with my windows install. I have been using this system for around 6 months, and a reinstall did speed it up after doing that. It took me around 2 hours to get all of my stuff reinstalled. another thing is you don't need to worry about the windows key as that is on the motherboard.

2021-02-18 18:58:11

@Boo15mario, I think Dark specifically mentions Microsoft Office keys. Of course if you're suing M365 then the license details are tied to a Microsoft Account, so I could see why it's slightly more of a hassle for Microsoft Office versions.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2021-02-18 19:46:52 (edited by Dark 2021-02-18 19:49:20)

@Minionslayer, exactly, microsoft office keys, then hardware specific keys for things like Vipmud and vocaliser for NVDA, then the horrors of the steam setup process, heck even having to recreate all my start menu shortcuts, shortcut keys for desktop icons and such. Not to mention fidly little tasks like rejiggering all the file associations for winamp.

Even with quick workarounds like google accounts and the NVDA portable install it's a bit of a hassle.

certainly not impossible  , but a lot of work I'd rather not have to do unless I need to, IE, unless my computer gets a really fatal error or I buy a new machine, and simply having windows update not work is far from a fatal error.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2021-02-18 20:10:59

I don't know, it just feels rediculous ridiculous there isn't some much easier system in place. Like one massive license manager, or...
I mean the fact that you can't portably carry around Microsoft Office options and customizations annoys me to no end.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2021-02-18 23:42:04

that right their is why I try not to use keys that stick on the device. I agree their should be a key system that will allow you to get the keys from one place to reinstall the programs that need them. @30 fare enough, I guess I don't have too much to do after installing windows other than installing the programs the system needs and my programs i use. Steam can be a bit of a paine to get going but, once I am able to log into my account I am good from their.

2021-02-19 00:33:51

What about an in-place upgrade at the very least? That'll basically reinstall Windows, get you to the latest version, and keep all your programs and such intact. The monthly security updates are important, and if you're not getting those your machine is more vulnerable to malware and such.

2021-02-19 01:17:14

that can also be ran from the windows 10 installer. all you have to do is to press the upgrade button install of pressing the custom button.

2021-02-19 02:54:01

@Dark, why need a new machine while you have quite a good desktop? 8GB is enough these days for common works.
And yeah, I haven't setup my new Lenovo laptop yet, just because of the stupid keys for each software I've use. Ug.

2021-02-19 02:56:58

8GB isn't comfortable. But the vibe I'm getting this is that he doesn't want to help himself, so I'm bowing out of this one. I've had enough of that type of experience from my druggie uncle and schizophrenic cousin that I only help people when it looks like they want to take an active role.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-02-19 09:58:19 (edited by Dark 2021-02-19 10:05:02)

@Gcw, thanks for the very helpful negative opinion of my character, let us move on.

@Drak, what is an in place upgrade?

I would indeed prefer to get the quality upgrades if at all possible, which is why I tried to fix this problem in the first place. I have explained my reasons for not wanting to even try a full reinstall of windows at this point, but if there is an alternative I'd appreciate hearing about it, which is why I actually asked this question .

@Socheat, Glad that 8gb ram isn't too bad, I just got the impression that most things these days were coming with 10 or 12. I haven't experienced too much by way of slowdown though, so I can see that it would probably be okay.

2021-02-19 12:28:48

Dark, try grabbing the ISO file directly from Microsoft's site, and do the upgrade. I know, downloading the 5 something GB iso is not an ideal solution, but if you don't want a clean install, this would be a way to go.

HTH

2021-02-19 12:55:23

This explains how to perform an in-place upgrade.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win … 90a?auth=1

2021-02-19 13:26:15

@Socheat, is there a difference between downloading and manually running the upgrade file, and having windows do it automatically? I assumed the problem here was with the upgrade itself conflicting with an existing problem on my pc, not with the basic function of the windows upgrade service, though I could be wrong, if however you think it might be the upgrade service causing the problem not the iso file that might be a good workaround.

@Drak, unfortunately that answers article doesn't tell me what an in place upgrade is, just gives me a download link and a video tutorial on doing one.

2021-02-19 13:36:43

@40 grab the iso, run setup.exe from there, in the second or therd step there will be an option called upgrade, it will keep your settings and your files but stil reinstall windows, so you will not looz anything

2021-02-20 02:28:31 (edited by Boo15mario 2021-02-20 02:28:49)

better yet, use the media creation tool. that will grab the latest build for you, no need to get the iso to where you would have to then mount the iso after downloading it.

2021-02-20 02:43:21

Which is what that video tutorial says to do. lol. The guy explains what to do. It's not all visual.

2021-02-20 10:17:57 (edited by Chris 2021-02-20 10:23:57)

Go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar … /windows10 and download the Media Creation Tool by choosing the Download Tool button. Run the file and when it asks what you want to do, choose the upgrade this PC option. It will download the latest version of Windows 10 and install it, preserving your files and settings. This is what an in-place upgrade means as opposed to a clean install which erases everything. If this doesn't fix your issue, there's something fundamentally wrong with your Windows installation and it seriously would be best to perform a clean install, either by yourself or with the assistance of someone more knowledgeable. I know you don't want to do a clean installation, but if the issue is that serious, you might as well skip band-aid solutions and take the extra time and effort to make sure things are working correctly.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2021-02-20 10:38:57

hey, this might sound stupid, but, don't updait it, just disable them, as i sed, stupid thing, but, that's one way of doing it

"But did you, in your three-piece psychology and 1950's technobrain,
ever take a look behind the eyes of the hacker?  Did you ever wonder what
made him tick, what forces shaped him, what may have molded him?"

2021-02-20 10:58:50 (edited by Draq 2021-02-20 11:02:04)

@45: Suggesting that someone not update their operating system is a very bad idea. You can get away with holding off on feature updates for a while, but as I said earlier, monthly quality updates should be installed a soon as possible. Yes, sometimes people experience issues when installing updates. That's just the nature of software and I get how frustrating it can be. However, those monthly updates often contain extremely important security fixes, and even if you keep your antimalware program updated, not applying them can leave your operating system more vulnerable to attacks than it would be if you apply them. If you want to take that risk that's up to you, but I would recommend not possibly endangering others with that bad advice.

2021-02-20 18:37:51

@45 bad bad idea, you are an idiot for suggesting that. I would never delay any security updates as they have fixed some very important security flaws including 0 day explits.