2021-02-17 14:04:16

For literally the last year, I've been wincing every time windows requires an update, since inevitably what will happen is my computer gets stuck on a blue screen of death during the process, and I have to restart with the power switch, which then results in me just disabling updates for another month, which is obviously not a good thing.

I tried again today and same result, so I'm trying to at least look into the problem.

Googling the problem found me the setup diag tool, which I ran.
This informs me I have a case of Error = 0xC1900101-0x20003.

okay, fair enough.

googling that error I found This article, which says the error is probably a problem caused by troublesome aps, probably things that lock files such as antivirus or antispyware programs, however the only one of those I use is malware bites, which would be a little odd.

I can try uninstalling malware bites I suppose, but if anyone has any other definite ideas that would be appreciated, indeed I'm a bit paranoid about my desktop breaking, not for losing info (since everything I've got is backed up six ways from Sunday, although setting up a new machine would be a royal pain), more because with corona virus lockdown in effect, I can't just wander into my nice local computer place as normal and buy soemthing new, much less get this one fixed.

So any thoughts would be appreciated.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2021-02-17 14:30:13

All i can think of is asking for sighted assistance... and boot in to the bios and do a cleen install of windows, make sure you've got the latest build your system can support...

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2021-02-17 14:38:47 (edited by Dark 2021-02-17 14:39:56)

@ashleygrobler04, not happening due to lockdown, indeed even pre lockdown this would be difficult owing to my lady and I living alone, and those few times sighted people do visit, they're not the sort with technical skill.

Plus to be honest, at this stage, if we were going to a blank install of windows, I'd probably just get a new machine with a bit more ram anyway, which would all be a bit drastic since it's only the system updates that aren't working, and thus far that isn't causing a problem.

When I realised my lady's machine (which doesn't have malware bites), did update, I've tried uninstalling malware bites to see if that makes a difference, since I can always put it back again if needed, just waiting now for the update process.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2021-02-17 17:24:41

@dark it's easy as hell to reinstall windows, when you get through the paintfull bios part, you can enable nerator on the install screen.

I love audiogames, a specially some offline ones like top speed.

2021-02-17 17:54:15

Reinstalling Windows from scratch is easy provided you know what you're doing. You shouldn't have to enter the BIOS to boot from a Windows install drive. Repeatedly press the boot menu key for your specific manufacturer when you turn on your computer. This should take you to a menu to select the boot device. Usually pressing down arrow once or twice and then hitting enter will make your machine boot from USB or DVD. After that, run Narrator with Control Windows Enter to independently setup Windows. Dell usesF12, HP tends to use F9, Asus uses Escape, etc. You'll have to check with the specific manufacturer you have as I said earlier if the above doesn't work.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2021-02-17 18:12:12

I am not sure if the same works with other computers but when I went to my computer's owners manual it has the bios options listed just like how they are listed on the actuall menu, so I can just know the order from there, and also it tells you the key to start the bios

2021-02-17 18:30:27 (edited by Dark 2021-02-17 18:35:34)

Well I tried removing malware bites.
The good news is, it went past the blue screen of death and shut down.
The bad news is, it then sat on a completely black screen without doing anything for a solid ten minutes.
I restarted with the power button, it then sat on said black screen for five minutes again, however this time, it actually started up correctly.

when I check the updates, it seems to want to install a different update, and it deleted several of my desktop icons, however NVDA still tells me I don't have the correct version of windows for the latest version of the windows 10 ap essentials addon.
So at this point I honestly don't know whether it's updated or not, but in deference to this being a pain, and the major hassle either getting a new computer or even just doing a system wipe and reinstall on this one would be, I simply disabled updates again.

I appreciate people's thoughts on reinstalling windows, but honestly that seems major overkill for just an issue with windows updates, and is probably not something I'd bother with anyway, since this pc is getting on for four years old and only has 8 gb of ram.

If Microsoft are too stupid to provide a bug free update that doesn't crash my pc, I'll go on with what I have, since really there isn't any major reason I need the updated version of windows other than nebulous bling factor anyway, and certainly not anything that would warrent all the trouble of having to reinstall games and aps and programs, log in again to microsoft, google and other accounts, and so on that would be required from a fresh install of windows.

2021-02-17 19:11:02

Gigabyte uses F12 to enter the boot menu. I have to use the mouse to select the devices I want to boot from. I am finding more systems are using the mouse to access different options in the bios and boot menmu.

2021-02-17 19:13:43

Dark wrote:

If Microsoft are too stupid to provide a bug free update that doesn't crash my pc, I'll go on with what I have

You program a piece of software as complicated as an OS, then ensure it works perfectly with an almost endless number of hardware and software configurations, then come back here and say that. I get the frustration though.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-02-17 19:48:40 (edited by defender 2021-02-17 19:48:58)

I would back up all your stuff, then reinstall as mentioned.  For the non talking part, use Be My Eyes Microsoft Support, Aira Free, or video chat someone you know who knows how to describe things.
Do your research ahead of time so you aren't stuck when it comes time to do the deed.  It may seem daunting but it's very hard to mess anything up for good, and it's much easier and faster than it used to be.
Some people even suggest reinstalling Windows every year or so preemptively anyway.  And people who use VM's do this all the time.  It's perfectly possible for the average blind computer user to do it.

2021-02-17 22:56:22

Agree with 9. Making a completely bug-free update process is impossible, just as making anything bug-free is impossible. I hate to sound rude or anything but you cannot expect MS to be able to know beforehand about their updates causing problems with your computer because its almost astronomically unlikely that someone out there has the *exact* same setup as you do. Maybe someone has a close enough one and it works perfectly fine. There's just no way to know. You'd be better off reporting it to MS.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2021-02-17 23:15:51 (edited by Dark 2021-02-18 00:01:34)

Well I ran setup diag and got a different error, 0xC1900101, which apparently is caused by the same thing, windows being stupid with installed programs, so obviously Malware bites was not the problem, and I can reinstall it anyway.
I've tried stopping feature updates for 365 days, since I assume the security updates aren't causing the issue.

@GCW, my sympathy for anyone creating anything and the difficulty involves generally diminishes proportionally to the time, resources, money, and stock market value of the person or company involved, so microsoft as the richest coorporation in the world aren't high On my list (not with the pay gap between their workers in the third world and Bill gates).

To be fair to the actual software engineers though, I will say windows 10 generally is a far more stable os than other versions I've tried, however rather ironically all of the issues I've had with windows 10 have involved updates, in general it's the most unstable part of the os. Indeed, from my perspective, given I'm working on a machine where everything is fine and then suddenly bang!! along comes the update and there is the error, it is the windows update that is the most serious malware big_smile.

@Defender, Reinstalling windows every year just seems insane to me, not when there are things like hardware specific keys and accounts to deregister, a process microsoft's own ms account system doesn't make any easier.

reinstalling windows just because the main windows update doesn't work seems like bulldozing my house because I can't get a new coat of paint, considering everything else works fine.

I suspect I will have to either get windows reinstalled or get a new pc in the future, but hopefully I can wait until after lockdown for that.

2021-02-18 01:50:31 (edited by UltraLeetJ 2021-02-18 01:52:42)

this is rather odd... have you tried to look for your pc brand, reference and update problems all at the same time, like lenovo g40-70 update crash? you cannot possibly be the only one having the issue.  Have you also updated every single driver you can? yes, even bios.
Reinstalling windows s really easy, you can use a USB flash drive and do it completely unattended and yes, apps like be my eyes or whatever are enough if you get stuck, which really does not happen anymore as you can complete a part of the setup while on your current faulty windowsand another one after it reboots using narrator, I almost couldn't believe that i was able to do all of it by myself, it was really exciting.
It even takes care of activation for you using the key you have had since you bought it from the store and installs all drivers so I would really think that it should not take more than 2 or 3 hours off your time to do almost everything, even less if you know that sometimes you would have to leave the pc doing its thing and do other stuff.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2021-02-18 02:13:24

hello. I did update to windows 10 20 h2 or what ever that thing is called. it give me the same black screen for about 20 minits. then it started propperly all though I had to change my nvda's output device to my speakers since it was set to microsoft sound mapper. I had no blue screen or anything like that. and for the black screen part I think you have to wait

my new youtube channel. click subscribe if you like my stuff
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzL-l8 … YCkjOm3FIg

2021-02-18 07:39:16

@UltraLeetJ,  Thanks for the comments, but as I said, reinstalling windows just because updates don't work seems waaaaay overkill to me, even if I was confident of doing it correctly, which to be honest I'm not at this stage given that our very nice computer place is obviously closed during lockdown.

@Static master, it was the fact that my computer sat on a black screen with nothing happening that I found worrying when I tried the update after uninstalling Malware bites, when I ran setupdiag it gave me another error which seems to be related to program compatibility, but at this stage I'm not sure.

To be honest though, I am a little too worried about my pc breaking at this stage given lack of available tech support or places to get a new one, and the fact that windows updates are so buggy, to want to try this again right now, since it's not really a major issue so long as updates are disabled.

2021-02-18 08:41:15

I would maybe try a system file check with SFC just to be sure.

2021-02-18 09:04:11 (edited by rings2006 2021-02-18 09:04:43)

for that. open the command prompt as administrator by typing cmd in start and making it run as administartor. then type sfc /scannow just like that and waite

i am a system, i have headmates, and that is my life, and my discord is rings2006wilson#8609

2021-02-18 10:40:45

Black screens are not normal whhen updating. The computer displays an updating screen, then it should reboot, not stay on a black screen.

I love audiogames, a specially some offline ones like top speed.

2021-02-18 11:39:19 (edited by Dark 2021-02-18 11:40:13)

@gorvachov13, Yep, that's why I'm finding things concerning at this point and why the windows update is obviously broken.
@Rings2006, when I try cmd from the start menu and then typing ssc /scannow, I'm told I need to run as an administrator, which I should already be, but hay, windows accounts have always been buggy right from xp.

Never mind though, I think I'm just going to leave this one, since if microsoft can't write an update that works without crashing my system, it's likely not worth the hassle anyway.

2021-02-18 12:09:32

@19:
press windows+r, type in cmd and press ctrl+shift+enter to run it as admin

2021-02-18 12:15:36

and, ladies and gentleman, this is the primordial reason for which we teckies always! use linux

2021-02-18 12:26:04

linux is more breakable, I breaked my hole computer useing it, I mean, I had to clean my ssd to fix the mess it have done

2021-02-18 12:59:38

well, I ended up in a state where grub boot recovery was shown, claiming the ntfs filesystem is broken and that I have a corrupted partition table. Let's just say you can do more things with a live linux environment than a windows one. Yes, it was paneful and I don't recommand it to beginners, but I managed to recover my disk and nothing was erased! Well, even the error I got was because of something I did, I tryed to add another partition to the table with the fdisk command, ended up deleting or in any way corrupting my entire hdd and the usb device I was using at the moment  beyond repairs. A good word to remember in this case is fsck, use it pretty religiously.

2021-02-18 15:17:10

@23 what distro do you use?

2021-02-18 16:11:48

I've never had problems with Windows Update. Then again, I regularly clean install Windows to avoid weird issues such as these. If you've had your computer for a couple years, it's not a bad idea to go in and do a fresh install. It will allow you to start from a clean slate and will more than likely improve the speed of your computer overall.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.