2021-02-17 00:27:34

Hi everyone! I am a PhD student at Columbia University doing research on making existing video games blind-accessible. We created several new tools to help people with visual impairments navigate video game worlds using sound, and we are looking for users to try them out and give us feedback about them. This is a paid study: it will last no longer than 2 hours, and participants will be given a $25 gift card for their time.

Study participants will play several levels of a video game using a video game controller and a standard pair of headphones. You must have your own controller to participate. (Please read the FAQs below for specific prerequisites.)

We will be conducting the study entirely online. We will send you a link to download the game, and we will use a phone call or audio chat session to converse while conducting the study. This study has been approved by the Columbia University Institutional Review Board (IRB Protocol Number IRB-AAAT5967).

Sign-up by filling out the Google Form linked here.

Feel free to ask any questions and I will be happy to respond. You may contact me directly (via a forum email or PM) through my profile for more information.

FAQ

Will I be paid to participate in the study?
We will give you a $25 Amazon.com gift card to pay you for your time.

Are there any prerequisites to participating in this study?
You must have a standard pair of headphones, a modern game controller, and a computer capable of running our video game.

Here, “modern game controller” refers to any relatively-recent XInput- or DirectInput-compatible gamepad (for example, Xbox or PlayStation controllers). If you are not sure as to whether your controller will work, feel free to list it in the sign-up form, and we will get back to you if your controller is a suitable match.

Your computer must be running Windows or MacOS. If your computer is running Windows, it must be running Windows 7 (SP1 or higher) or Windows 10. If your computer is running MacOS, it must be running MacOS High Sierra (10.13) or higher.

Are there any risks?
There are no physical risks related to participating in this research study.

Are there benefits to taking part in the study?
You will not receive personal (direct) benefit from taking part in this research study. However, the information collected from this research may help others in the future. We hope to make navigation in video games and in the real world much easier and more effective.

What information will be collected?
We'll ask you to complete surveys before, during, and after you play the video game. We will also collect some of your player movement data as you play the video game. We will not collect any other information.

How will my information be protected?
All information that we collect will be stored securely. The name and email address you provide will be kept confidential.

2021-02-17 00:47:59 (edited by Minionslayer 2021-02-17 00:50:50)

I do have a gamepad, but just out of interest, why is that a requirement?
Edit: Just signed up, looking forward to see what comes of this.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2021-02-17 14:38:25

Don't have a controler, so won't be able to help out.

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2021-02-17 14:41:24

Don't have a controller, so I will saddly pass this one.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2021-02-17 18:17:29

Hi all.

To @Minionslayer: Thank you for signing up. We ask for a gamepad because we make extensive use of the analog sticks.

To @ashleygrober04 and @Angel: Thank you for your interest. We will post here (hopefully in the near future) for other studies, so please stay tuned!

2021-02-17 21:46:21

Well I also do not have a controler or anything, I use a keyboard and I do have a mouse.
Its a pitty that you guys didn't come a couple weeks ago as I was in a position to get a controler.
But with covid and all that going on, buying one may be a bit hit and miss and as new zealand is going through a semi weird patch for at least the next week, its unlikely I will be able to use a controler.
Still I have signed up though I will have to go without one for now.

2021-02-17 22:20:00 (edited by TheRealAmethyst 2021-02-17 22:20:13)

I signed up, can I ask what titles is testible?

My discord: the_real_amethyst
Join my accessible Pokémon discord server

2021-02-19 18:11:43

Hi everyone.

To @crashmaster: Thanks for your interest. Unfortunately, we require participants to already own game controllers for this study. We make extensive use of the analog sticks, and so a keyboard/mouse will not work. However, we appreciate the interest, and we'll post here again for studies in the future.

To @Gamulation: Thank you for signing up. I am not sure if I understand the question, but if you are asking what games we are testing with, then we are using a game that we ourselves created which mimics existing action RPG games.

2021-02-19 20:24:17 (edited by TheRealAmethyst 2021-02-19 20:24:36)

@NairVish That was my question, a new game, cool!

My discord: the_real_amethyst
Join my accessible Pokémon discord server