2021-02-17 10:30:21

Hi guys. So i've saw in one of the topics today something about this and decided to make one. So my question is, do you also pressyour eyes and stuff like that? Because i do, and my parents are annoyed as fuck, but not annoyed, more worried probably. I have people that say that not much blind people do that but i've heard that quite some do. so do you have any opinion on this?

I love audiogames, a specially some offline ones like top speed.

2021-02-17 10:34:58

rocking, no
pressing eyes, yes
https://www.disabilitywisdom.com/2018/1 … 0activity.

2021-02-17 11:09:27

Where does the pressing eyes come from? I do it a lot, but the main reason is when my eye begins to dry out from not putting eyedrops in it and I can’t get to them right away, I use the coolness of my finger to hydrate it a little bit. I don’t have tear ducts  so I usually have to put in eyedrops, though I’m a bit bad at doing that lately. Why does everybody else do it?

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2021-02-17 12:28:03

I do boath

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2021-02-17 12:36:53

No I don't do either of what you said, but I had friends/classmates who would do it everyday. I would advise you not to do any of them, cause it doesn't look  that fine. If you press your eyes, they will gradually shrink and that also affects your look. I had an accident when I was one-and-a-half years old and due to an operation my eyes are not as they were before that accident. That's why I have to put on glasses when I go out because it doesn't really look well. I had beautiful eyes before that bloody accident, according to what my parents and brother told me. Remember that presentability is absolutely crutial in the sighted world. You might not care but they do. Same goes for rocking.
I think the primary reason why this comes to exist is due to the lack of activity the brain has while we are growing. The brain has a lot of capability that is not being utilised which would otherwise be filled if we could get information from our eyes. So if you see a person, you get thrice or more information than you get from hearing. So the colour of his hair, eyes, clothes, glasses, if he is smiling or not, other expressions of the face, and so much more that I'm not including. We can't have this information and the brain will find some way, I believe, to make up for it. I personally had this internal thinking or imagination or fantasising or let's put it something like making up imaginary scenes with real people that I would meet in my daily life. Or I would make up or elaborate on what happened one day with someone. So if I had a piece of information, my brain could work on it for hours when I had nothing to do or when I went to sleep. This skill my brain developed, which I think is the case with other blind people as well, still affects me to this day although at a lower degree. And that, I tell you, has had an unbelievable, deciding, whatever effect in my lifestyle and my relationships. Yeah yeah, blindness sucks, particularly since I or whatever supernatural being that brought me to this world were not responsible for it.

2021-02-17 12:37:08 (edited by TheRealAmethyst 2021-02-17 12:37:32)

I did both of these things, but stopped due to my class mates calling me a weardo because of it. I'm glad they did, cause they motivated me to stop.

My discord: the_real_amethyst
Join my accessible Pokémon discord server

2021-02-17 12:49:41

If you rock and poke, you might want to get a hold on that as it will affect you later on. they are called Blindisms and they are rather frowned upon.  They don't help you later on in life if you are trying to get a job, they are rather anoying, so you will have people try to get you from doing such things.  I once new this guy who could walk, roc, and talk at the same time. It was a bit baffling and when we went to school, he would ignore the rest of his surroundings and smack in to rock solid door dividers.  Please do try to get rid of the blindisms you might do because you will avoid many strange looks, pointings and names.

Their is no such thing as a master.  One is never done learning, and those who claim to be a master at something are far from becoming one!!

2021-02-17 13:35:48

I don't really do either, especially not in public.

---------------
There will come nothing, for there was nothing.

2021-02-17 13:36:37

Don't do it anymore, used to press my eyes, but I have trained myself to not do either of them.

"Snake, don't worry about it. There's more to being a good person than just having a stereo television."

2021-02-17 13:55:10

I mainly rub it because simularly to Dan they itch at times

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2021-02-17 14:33:23

Haha only when i am alone, i find my self doing that. don't know why, but when i am in public, it just doesn't happen to me, but when i am alone in my room or where ever, i find my self trying to stop every so often haha

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2021-02-17 15:16:58

Listen, for all that's holy, do not press your eyes. The rocking is whatever. Yes, you should honestly get it under control to the point where you only do it at home or somewhere else that's a safe environment. Pressing your eyes makes you look like a zombified fuck. I'm not kidding either. You don't notice it because well, you can't see it. But I have seen the chronic eye pressers' faces back when I could see better, and their eyes have this sunken in hollow look. You do not want to look like that unless you hate people, because it'll cause others to avoid you. It'll affect job prospects, because attractiveness is a factor, even though it's not supposed to be.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-02-17 15:29:59

I do rock only when no one sees it. I never pressed my eyes.

2021-02-17 15:34:58

I do neither, and I'm mortally thankful. I grew up in a family where such behaviours were shunned, so cheers mum!

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2021-02-17 17:21:38

I press my eyes, but only when i'm alone. but i don't rock. I'm trying to stop the habit of pressing my eyes because my parents said it's becoming worse.

I love audiogames, a specially some offline ones like top speed.

2021-02-17 17:26:17

I think I’m pretty good at not doing that sort of thing in public, though I agree you shouldn’t really do it in private either because it’s really not good for your health. There’s always the potential of you damaging your eyes doing that sort of thing.

Discord: dangero#0750
Steam: dangero2000
TWITCH
YOUTUBE and YOUTUBE DISCORD SERVER

2021-02-17 21:40:25

Well having had soft eyes of late yeah.
You may need loobrication for your eyes and alergy type deals, I have both these.
If I start to press then I am usually tired.
So maybe you are tired who knows.
Rocking.
Well I must say, give me a rocking chair and I'll rock, give me a rocking chair, and a sunny day, and some nice music I may even knodd off and snore.
Generally I don't rock randomly, though thats what my stereo is for.
Sometimes I try to dance to music, sometimes I will rock when listening to things, of course headphones are nice.
However in a family public space, if you just happen to be where the dance or heavy metal or 60s rock is then yeah I will rock all day long.
I have not just rocked for no real reason generally for ages though.

2021-02-17 22:24:08

a little question, I used to press my ies, but does my ies look sonken in now? It's been a few years now, and I don't get any comment's on it, but want to be sure.

My discord: the_real_amethyst
Join my accessible Pokémon discord server

2021-02-17 22:54:50

I don't know. I know that it happens to chronic pressers though. The rocking is a good thing to try to stop doing, but it is physically harmless. You could make the argument why you should care if you can't see anyway about the health of your eyes, but the look is not a good one let me assure you.

I think everyone rubs their eyes when they're tired, but yeah, do yourself a favor and maximize your efforts into stopping eye pressing.

End racism
End division
Become united

2021-02-17 23:12:13

Only in private. Don't do these things in  public at all if you can help it. Not cool

2021-02-17 23:22:13

I wonder for chronic pressers who've done damage that can't realistically be undone, if it would be worth wearing shades all the time or if it would just look too weird indoors.

2021-02-18 01:43:43 (edited by UltraLeetJ 2021-02-18 01:44:44)

nope, none of them. fortunately physical exercise, even light, really does help if you tend to sway or rock a lot, plus its honestly annoying to talk to someone or having them talk to you and their voice moves all of the time. I can really easily tell if people rock, even behind a mickrophone, because the volume of their voice constantly changes. I would imagine that someone who can see could get motion sickness from just watching you move back and forth all the time. Its also helpful to turn your face directly towards the person to who you speak even if you don't know how to stare. I did press eyes but not anymore. It can damage internal organs and stuff, plus, you might even get conjuntivitis, which is an internal inflammation or swelling of the eye, due to dust and other things getting in there, which can be really annoying or painful at random times and can be treated by using eye drops but its just not cool. Since I really do not have any of these habits plus others that I have known that exist, people totally will forget you are blind so funny things happen like them reaching your hand out to you and then be left waiting when saying goodbye, or pointing and saying there, and so on. Its just for lighter laughs but I never have a problem with any of these things anyway.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2021-02-18 02:30:25

Oh god, yeah. The friggin'  rocking side to side while you're on your blue yeti in stereo mode. Wee woo wee woo wee woo wee woo bitch I will hit you, sit the fuck still.

End racism
End division
Become united

2021-02-18 02:38:35

@22
The last step in learning to interact with sighted people in such a way that the entire interaction can go by without them finding out you're blind is this.  Learn to take the initiative when engaging in actions in which the blindness would be revealed.  For example, if you ask the other person to hand you something and you put your hand out as you ask the question in generally the right place, they'll come to your hand instead of you going to theirs.  Same thing with shaking hands goodbye, and so on.  Whoever initiates the action controls all the positioning and the other person matches it, so always be the one initiating and you win.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2021-02-18 03:21:37

I don't do either of these. I do fidget with my hands or play with a strap or something often though. Sometimes I don't even realise I'm doing it.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77