2021-02-09 12:34:53

Hello fellow audiogamers,

Here is your chance to contribute to the field of web accessibility, by taking part in this study. As you have probably noticed, almost all diagrams are provided as pictures. Often even without any description. Fortunately, it is possible to do much better than this.

As part of University of Glasgow, I am studying ways to make diagrams on the web screen reader accessible. Taking part in this study, you would meet with me on zoom. I would present you two different systems for reading diagrams on the web with a screen reader. Then you would complete tasks using either system, while I record the time and take notes. Finally, there would be a short interview asking you a couple questions about your thoughts on the two systems.

Only requirements to participate are that you aren’t new to using NVDA, can speak English, Slovak, or Czech, and are at least 16 years old. No other special knowledge is required.

Send me an email to participate to my university email: [email protected]
Please include what times you would be available and your time zone.

I look forward to moving accessibility research forward together with your help. If you have any questions, just send me an email or post in this topic.

2021-02-09 17:26:47

Hey there.
What is the date when this study ends?
I am asking since I can't do it right now, but I would definitely do it next week, it sounds like something I would love doing.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2021-02-09 17:35:45

@2 thanks for your interest. the study will be running up to end of next week. so if you have time next week, that is fine as well smile

2021-02-09 18:21:51 (edited by defender 2021-02-09 18:22:19)

Cool!  Are you gonna post this on r/blind and the NFB math list too?
You may even be able to get it into the next addition of top tech tidbits.

2021-02-09 18:56:00

Well damn, can't participate.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2021-02-09 19:24:43

@4 not yet, but those are great tips. thanks
@5 if it's the age requirement. sorry, it is required by my university.

2021-02-09 22:53:55

oh, i really wish i could help in this research, but i can't speak in english fluently.

Hey, if you wanna chat, add me on discord.: VIPPotato#3363
or you can chat with me on telegram: https://t.me/VIPPotato
Regards, and take care.

2021-02-10 07:07:49

@7 really? you seem fluent enough to me smile

2021-02-10 09:52:47

it's easier for me to write than speak.

Hey, if you wanna chat, add me on discord.: VIPPotato#3363
or you can chat with me on telegram: https://t.me/VIPPotato
Regards, and take care.

2021-02-10 10:05:16

I would dearly like to participate, however I have too many things to do for this damn school. Well, I might have some time after all, if you can tell me how much time would this thing take.
Anyways, in your view, what are diagrams? I am not sure, but these are like grafs, right?
And...I never used zoom before, anything I must know beforehand? Btw, with firefox, the button to create a zoom account doesn't work. Any ideas? Am I the only one who incounters this bug? kinda pertinent to web accessibility, right? Quite weird how websites are accessible on some browsers, but not others.

2021-02-10 12:15:06

Why limit this to NVDA users? That's leaving people out based on their choice of screen reader, and you lose the chance to se how different screen readers handle your tests. Accessibility should be focused on supporting every screen reader if possible, not just one.

2021-02-10 12:22:36

@9 no problem, I understand. thanks for your interest in any case.
@10 so it takes an hour and half to complete including a short break. strange the sign up button for zoom didn't work for you. I just checked using firefox and NVDA and pressing the sign up button worked fine.
yes, diagrams are like graphs. it's a way to represent information in a 2d spatial way to make it easier to understand at a quick glance. you don't need to know anything about them to participate.
zoom is very easy to use and superbly accessible. just sign up, download the desktop app and log in. you can navigate the minimalistic zoom interface with tab and activate buttons with spacebar or enter. once we set up a time, I will send you a link for the meeting. opening the link with your browser will prompt you whether to join the meeting using the zoom desktop app. accepting that opens up the zoom desktop app, where you just confirm you want to join with or without video.

2021-02-10 12:33:49

@11 thanks for your thoughts. I actually agree wholeheartedly that accessibility should support all the major screen readers. the reason why I ask for people to use NVDA is that it has been thoroughly tested to work with it. the point of this study is to evaluate a particular UI design. keeping most things constant, including screen reader, gives more reliable results from which to decide whether the UI design is any good or not. after that is established, testing the system with all the major screen readers to check general compatibility is a logical next step. but that would be a whole another study with completely different goals and procedure.

2021-02-16 09:47:46

hi, thanks to all who participated so far. I would like to test one more person to round off the study. if you have interest please email times you are available and your timezone to [email protected]

2021-02-18 10:48:21

The study is concluded. My deepest thanks to all who participated!

2021-02-18 12:22:30

so, still didn't manage to click that signup button, whatever I did. Anyways, can you post the results of the study somewhere?

2021-02-19 13:06:07

@16 I am now spending a couple of weeks analyzing the results and writing an academic paper summarizing my findings. Once it is finished I can send someone a copy personally if they email me. I probably won't be able to just put it up somewhere, if I want it to be published.