2021-01-25 04:31:14

I don't think that's the problem, though. When you shift+tab back through the elements on the page (I'm using NVDA but this command is a Windows one so it might not matter), you can see the delete buttons. You can't activate them, but they still show. Only the delete buttons, mind you, but their presence would indicate you haven't lost your characters, just that Chrome and the site aren't playing nice with the display.

I can see the things in Firefox, so I am going to assume this problem is specific to Chrome and this game in particular, and move on.

I really don't think the cookie was tampered with, as I've had no issues like this with any other game I've played in Chrome.

2021-01-25 07:56:50

Now that you mention it, i was having a similar problem with Firefox where I couldn't find the link for my character. I had to use tab to navigate to that link, since it wasn't showing up when i used the arrows to read the page.

2021-01-25 12:17:16

Okay, strangely enough my char, the mighty Dark  seems to be back now.
I tried tabbing as Kenshira said rather than using k, and that worked, then I tried using K and that also worked.

Nice I don't have to completely start again from scratch.

Obviously the issue is not that characters are not being saved, but sometimes that the mainhall page  just has slightly wonky display.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2021-01-26 05:17:24

Still can't access my charas in Chrome. I checked after seeing this message.

2021-01-26 10:29:03

To access your character, focus on the "Delete" button, then press SHIFT+U.
I use Firefox, I hope it works in another browsers too.
I wish there was some external way to save a character.
I accidentally lost mine and had to recreate her again.
I like the feature which allows to keep and use protective gear found in adventures outside these adventures.

2021-03-03 08:01:52 (edited by Dark 2021-03-03 08:02:37)

Eamon remastered news wrote:

New Adventure: The Forest of Fear
Feb. 15, 2021
The second in the Sam Ruby's series of Middle Earth adventures is here! This one is the Forest of Fear and takes you through Mirkwood Forest in search of the dreaded Witch King of Angmar, who has kidnapped the ranger, Aragorn. Bring your best orc-slaying sword and keep a keen eye out for priceless artifacts in this one!

A little late to the party, but again, more sam ruby is awesome, albeit I don't remember enjoying the forest of fear quite as much with Eamon deluxe, mostly because when you get to dol guldur, the location I was looking forward to exploring given we don't see it in the books directly, all the descriptions were just sort of generic corridors and dungeon rooms.

On the plus side, the forest itself is fun, there are some nice treasures, and even a random intrusion from another universe which makes the rumours of an out of focus landrover seen in the shire in the Lotr film sound tame!

I wonder if the other Sam ruby middle earth adventures from Edx are going to be converted next.
The ring of doom, was an amusing slaughter fest with an insanely huge orc army at one point, though sort of amusing just to hack butcher and slay your way to mount doom, however the one I'd love to see is Iron prison, since what is more epic than going deep into the bowels of Angband in the elder days to take on Sauron's own boss, Morgoth himself!
The difficulty of the enemies in that one was also nicely scaled to god like battle as well, so a good use for your super pumped up characters.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2022-01-11 17:33:25 (edited by Dark 2022-01-11 17:44:36)

Eamon remastered news wrote:

New Adventure: Escape from Mt. Moon
Dec. 31, 2021
The latest new adventure is Escape from Mt. Moon by the enigmatic Dr. Logan Blizzard. This was a recent discovery, found in the archives of the computer lab at UC Boulder, and never published until 2021. It is a short adventure, with only a few rooms and monsters, but don't be lulled into thinking it's going to be easy.
New Adventure: The Ring of Doom
Oct. 17, 2021
The thind in the Sam Ruby's series of Middle Earth adventures is here! This one is the Ring of Doom and is the tale of the journey into the dread land of Mordor!

I've no idea what the mount moon adventure will be like, but I remember ring of doom from eamon deluxe, and it's a fun one.

Okay, it's a bit odd that ethillian is now a jungle, but it's a great chance to help frodo and sam hack and slash their way to Mordor, provided you can rescue frodo from the tower of Kirith ungol of course.

What I like in this one is the huge range of enemies from the book, there's even a deathtrap in the form of a hundred strong orc army, and such unusual things as haradrim scouts, and those mysterious variags of kand.

Okay, the hole "bring the ring in secret to Mordor", plan goes out of the window, especially when your battling the lord of the nazgul on the slopes of mount doom, but obviously Frodo is living up to his father, drogo on this occasion and deciding to do the hole thing Dothraki style big_smile.

The only thing I really don't like in this one, is the lack of description in mordor, there are lots of rooms just labeled "north  mordor", and such with no description of the landscape, and while obviously the original eamon system had limited space for description, something would've been nice.

so, one new adventure to play, and a welcome return of an old friend! a very nice new years present!

I wonder if we'll be seeing some of Sam ruby's other adventures in the future, particularly the very epic Iron prison where you get to take on Sauron's bos, Morgoth himself. Then  there's Ruby's Banana republic which was hilariously fun, redemption and curse of talen which were both frankly amazing, some of the best text games I've played even outside of Eamon.

We'll just have to wait and see, but always nice to know the system's still being developed.

2022-01-11 19:47:19

I guess thingz got updated on the web end also, as playing on my phone doesn't lag anymore, but it doesn't work on my old pc anymore either. I am also happy to see this still going.

2022-01-11 19:54:45

I don't really like browser games but I'll give this a look.

2022-01-11 20:19:44

I think it feels more like a mud and text adventure had a baby, so yeah, its definitely not your average clicky link browser game.

2022-01-11 22:38:00 (edited by Dark 2022-01-11 22:40:23)

Not sure why it wouldn't work on your pc there Kenshira, it's fine here, though glad if indeed the site's had an update, maybe fixed the disappearing character thing mentioned earlier in this topic.

@Michael, Eamon isn't really a browser game like the usual click click mmorpgs.
Eamon was a system of text rpg adventures produced for the old Aple Ii computer in the eighteis, which carried on right into the early two thousands, with lots of different eamon games built by hobbyist coders around the world all using the same system.

They would range in complexity, from simple hack n slash, grab treasure outings, to interactive fiction with puzzles, though usually lighter on the parser and guess the verb (to use objects in Eamon you just type use), and usually always with some degree of combat somewhere as well as lots of exploring (even of underground dungeons).

The really clever thing, is that all adventures started at the eamon main hall, meaning that you could play the same character in different adventures, carrying things like weapons and gold from one adventure to another, and converting any treasure you found to cold hard cash which you could use to beef up your character.

Ever wanted to smack in darth vader with a magic sword/ or beat up an aka 47 wielding dorathy? or as I said for the recent update, go through mordor fighting hoards of orcs with whatever weapon you like? Now you can.

the system is simple compared to most muds, but is just addictive in terms of basic exploring fun.

I ran across it myself with the eamon deluxe remake in 2008, which ported a good few of the games, but can't be played on windows 10 owing to running in a 16 bit console window.

Eamon remastered lets you make a character in the main hall and go on a bunch of adventures, with new ones being added all the time.
it's played in a browser window, but mostly you type commands (though there are some handy buttons), just as you might when playing a game in a console window, and of course, you have all the fun of improving your character as was the case in the original games.

Saving is done via facebook login and with a cookie, but apart from that it's pretty much just like playing a single player rpg, or rather, a hole bunch of different, short, single player rpgs big_smile.

Hope some of this makes sense.

2022-01-12 05:53:38

I am confused.  when i enter the weapons and armor store, and choose to buy weapons and armor, nothing appears.  only the beginning links, adventurers manual, etc, and an image at the end of the page.

once upon a time, a beautiful little girl who wore a beautiful red hood.  while she was passing through a forest, she was killed by Captain America.  The end...

2022-01-12 07:45:00

@zargonbr, once your in the main hall the link "visit the weapons shop", should take you to a page with links to buy weapons and armour or sell weapons and armour.

Unless this is the same bug as the previous one where characters on your roster didn't appear?

Either way I've just tried it and it works fine, so I'm afraid I'm not sure what's happening there.

2022-01-12 15:33:03

If it is the same, then try using tab to get directly to the link.

2022-01-12 19:42:39

Well I'll confess mt moon was a bit disappointing.
A very short hack n slash with not much text.

A couple of fun pokemon references to pewter city and the like, and you even get to fight a geodude, though sadly the promised team rocket aren't the awesomely random bunch from the cartoon series big_smile.

Also, for some odd reason I couldn't submit ratings for the adventure after finishing it which was a bit strange.

2022-01-13 02:37:51

Absolutely love the lord of the rings adventures, wish the rest of the eamon games would be added.  These are games I would definitely purchase.
I don't consider this a spoiler but I will put the warning here anyway.

*spoiler ahead*

Do not and I mean do not take any rings with you in to the Ring of Doom adventure.  You'll see why if you make it to the end.

2022-01-13 06:27:01 (edited by Dark 2022-01-13 06:32:02)

'BlindJay, yeah the more eamons added the better, even the standard hack n slash ones I find I still really enjoy, particularly the way that kdechant updates the adventures as they're added; , quite aside from those that are completely new

Sounds like Ring of doom got an update, since carrying rings between adventures is a new feature of eamon remastered.

There are obviously lots of classic eamon games still to be  added, and even a few from eamon deluxe as well, and the more that become playable online, the better imho; though I think with a total of 41 adventures, there are now actually more available in Eamon remastered than were in the last version of Eamon deluxe.

My only miner downer with eamon remastered, is I do wish you could see the individual value of all the items at the end of the adventure you sell off to Sam slicker, just to let you know how well your treasure hunting went big_smile.

It'd also be nice if a few eamon deluxe main hall characters were ported as well, EG the friendly giant who helped you practice your armour skills. Even though the functions of both the mystic who would improve your skill at spells, and of grendal who sold really high quality weapons are now covered by Marcos and hokas tokas, I do miss seeing them around just to give the place some colour.

All in all though, I fully well agree, I'd be glad to donate to the project, especially if it helped get more eamons ported and more updates; indeed that's the only slightly sad thing, since at the current rate with 4 or five adventures added a year, well it'll be quite a long while before all 278 become available, though of course being as porting the games means converting them from apple ii basic to javascript, it's not an easy process.

2022-01-13 20:12:55

I also would like to see the word completed or even something like a checkmark next to adventures you have already completed.  I finished all of them but one luckily creating a document to keep track. That one was Furioso which I think is literally impossible.  I somehow lost quite a powerful character playing it and had to start all adventures over again 2 years ago so have never never touched it since.

2022-01-13 21:46:34

Odd you lost a character, Eamon doesn't have permadeath, indeed if you close your browser without finishing an adventure, you'll stop the current adventure but your character should still be saved in the main hall.

No idea on furioso I'm afraid, since I've not finished that one myself.

The problem with trying to track completed adventures, is in several of them you can literally just turn around and leave with no completion screen, EG by just going north from the beginner's cave.

I do remember suggesting to frank black a trophies cabinet, where each adventure had a purchasable trophy which you could buy (presumably with the cash you got from that adventure), as a memento of your victory.

2022-01-14 11:29:13

Furioso is infuriating, especially since half of it depends on luck and Power spell actually working.
I completed it once, with overuse of savescumming and ignore it since.
No idea why this adventure would be responsible for the loss of a character though.
I lost my character too, but it was courtesy of CCleaner.
I wish we could save our character to a file and keep it on the computer.