2021-01-24 01:12:31

Hello!
I am pleased to bring you the latest release from Nathan Tech, an accessible Periodic Table.
Stop Struggling!
You don't need to carry around heavy braille lists or unwieldy, not very portable raised diagrams any more. The Periodic Table by Nathan Tech gives screen reader users the ability to access the table of elements either in table or list form, navigating it with easy-to-remember keystrokes and giving them an experience identical to their sighted colleagues, without a loss of speed! comes feature packed with abilities to search by name or number, as well as spelling out the name or symbol, choice of view modes, information such as boiling and melting points and a database of information!
Grab your copy today: https://www.nathantech.net/products/sof … ctable.php

Nathan Smith
Managing Director of Nathan Tech
It's not disability
It's ability!

2021-01-24 01:19:41

I just ran the installer, however when I tried to open the app from the desktop shortcut I get:

Missing Shortcut  dialog  Windows is searching for The Periodic Table.exe. To locate the file yourself, click Browse.

This is because the shortcut points to The Periodic Table.exe, when it should point to periodic table.exe.

Other than that, this looks really interesting.  I'll have to give this a go the next time I need to check the table.

The Beast continued its studies with renewed Focus, building great Reference works and contemplating new Realities. The Beast brought forth its followers and acolytes to create a renewed smaller form of itself and, through Mischievous means, sent it out across the world.
from The Book of Mozilla, 6:27

2021-01-24 01:23:20

Woops! Good Catch! I have corrected this error and reuploaded the installer smile

Nathan Smith
Managing Director of Nathan Tech
It's not disability
It's ability!

2021-01-24 01:37:52 (edited by GrannyCheeseWheel 2021-01-24 02:17:48)

Oo, interesting, I've been looking for something for a long time to fill this need. I'll check it out.

Edit:  I like it

Also, Radium used to be used in home applications, such as adding a glow to clock faces in the 20th century until they realized it was radioactive and killing people. I think it was also used in beauty products, such as makeup.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-01-24 02:57:50

I had the periodic table memorized when I was seventeen or so, and I've been looking for something to help me relearn it.
Love this idea!!!

2021-01-24 03:35:27

Damn the program sounds good. I wish i had something like it back when I was in school.  Then again, we didn't have our own comps/

Their is no such thing as a master.  One is never done learning, and those who claim to be a master at something are far from becoming one!!

2021-01-24 12:21:56

an other app and a post that deserves a  thumbs up

2021-01-24 12:50:16

Hey @1 this is fantastic. Good job!!!

Is there any chance there could be a little bit of configurability though? I would ideally like the program to remember my screen and position across restarts.

Thanks though mate, this is great work.

-----
I have code on GitHub

2021-01-24 15:25:34

@1. Thank you. I've been looking for this for quite a while now.

If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2021-01-24 17:22:56

Heck, yes!

"Snake, don't worry about it. There's more to being a good person than just having a stereo television."

2021-01-24 17:37:08

Spot on man, excellent timing

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2021-01-24 17:58:59

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeees yeees thank youuu! Something like this would be insaaaaanely useful for my remote chemistry lessons ATM where they haven't sent out Braille tables.

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2021-01-24 19:08:53

Well while this is not for me right now its good to know it exists.
Kinda reminds me about linux, and when I went to university.
Back then I needed an external dectalk synth to get to doing speech.
It worked for a while then started to fail, so every day I would start the computer, take the synth and bash it against a table till it turned on.
Did that for 6 months or so.
After I got home one day I turned it on, and nothing, and bashing it against a table for 10 minutes didn't make it go either.
I had barely finnished university when grml appeared on the scene.
I'd have managed a load better with linux, and ubuntu mate I think.

2021-01-24 19:39:05

Holy. This is bad ass. I'm definitely going to throw aside my big bound volumes of thermoform paper and use this portable tool! Nice work!

-----
YouTube
GitHub
Discord: @tunmi13#1880

2021-01-24 19:47:09

Just tested it. It's really great. I have a few suggestions though.
Could you make something similar based on Cations and Anions, as well as Polyatomics? That would be great.

-----
YouTube
GitHub
Discord: @tunmi13#1880

2021-01-24 22:30:00

Okay, so some initial thought.
Do you think it would be worth it to have a key to have a recording of an element's name said in a human voice? Most screen readers mess up something at some point. Also, shouldn't group 18 be labelled as group 0?

If you for whatever reason wish to contact me, the best way to do so is through Discord (Minionslayer#2980). You'll get the quickest response times, and by extension, a higher priority. I also sometimes post my thoughts (for the better or worse) over on Twitter at @Minionslayer2.

2021-01-24 23:07:29

Ooo, this seems particularly useful. Good job! I'm just going to quietly stuff this in my toolbox...

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2021-01-26 00:34:59

For a future release, could you consider adding a way to view the reactivity series of metals and stuff?

2021-01-26 07:15:42

After opening the details of an element by pressing enter I can't seem to get out of that list; control E doesn't work and neither does any other shortcut, so I have to alt f4 and then reopen the app. Could you make it so you can just escape out of it or something?

2021-01-26 08:55:13

@19. when you tab there is a close button.

If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2021-01-26 15:21:40

Ah thanks, missed that, don't know why it didn't occur to me to press tab.

2021-01-26 16:52:16

Can I make one suggestion? It's not specific to the periodic table program, but all of your programs. Could you possibly dispense with the message box dialogs that pop up on certain actions? They just seem so primitive and meh. A message spoken through whatever tts lib you're using would suffice just as well. I also don't find myself needing to review a dialog that says I saved something or deleted it or closed this thing, etc.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2021-01-27 20:24:37

this is gonna be helpfull. just wish it came out earlyer. but can you add the ionic charges

i am a system, i have headmates, and that is my life, and my discord is rings2006wilson#8609

2021-01-27 23:40:24

Hell, fucking, yes. I needed this periodic table for a very long time, finally, finally something I'll be using on a daily bases! Nathan tech keeps surprising me, in a positive way.

I love audiogames, a specially some offline ones like top speed.

2021-01-28 05:09:37

@1, bless you

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.