2020-10-07 19:31:12

Hi,

This Stealth mechanic sounds awesome. I find the element of strategy that this adds very nice.
Keep it up!

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW

2020-10-07 21:58:47

I checked out the stealth video and I quite liked it.
Is the game still scheduled for release later this month?

Hopefully, we'll get a fully accessible open world game someday.

2020-10-08 12:04:04

Hello guys! Firstly thank you for all your interest, really appreciate all your support.

Just to clarify, the stealth mechanics are from the main game we're developing, Pitch Black: A Dusklight Story, which is set for release early 2021.

Pitch Black: A Detective's Demise is the Detective game we've been showing a lot of recently, which will be release in the coming few weeks!

2020-10-08 14:01:28

@pitch black, cool!

I love audio games.

2020-10-09 01:00:14

Hi:

I've just listened to the overexposure mechanics video; it's very interesting. Traversing dungeons in this game will be very interesting if all of these concepts make it into the final release. I don't think stealth, for example, appears in many  audiogames. Keep it up guys; looking forward to this game.

When the wandering fire strikes the heart of stone, will you follow? Will you take ... the longest road?
Guy Gavriel Kay

discord: tayo134

2020-10-09 03:14:53

@pitch black, awesome exposure micanic! I really liked how the sound design worked, as well as the micanic itself. some real strategy involved here.

I love audio games.

2020-10-29 20:01:40

Hey there everybody! Hope you're all doing well! We just put out a new video talking about our new production process going forward. Hope ya'll dig!

https://youtu.be/EDMw92NX6_E

All the best
Harry

2020-10-29 21:34:34

I enjoyed it as always. Man your videos are just amazing! Thanks for the content you are giving us!

2020-10-29 23:08:24

Hi,

Thanks for the video, was really interesting to get an insight into your processes, methods of working and to hear a little bit about the behind the scenes techniques being used. The templates procedure  sounds like a good working practise to help future development. Really looking forward to playing A detectives Demise when it is released next week and seeing some of the sound/mixer stuff talked about in the video actually in action in the game. Thanks for an interesting and informative video.

Paul Lemm

2020-10-30 13:09:25

Hi! Really great video. I am looking forward to the releas of a detective's demise next week. I appreciate you making these videos talking about different stuff. I also like the behind the scenes stuff. Keep up making more awesome Projects! you guys are Amazing.

2020-11-17 08:52:14

Hey there everybody! Bit of an exciting announcement on this front.. The next project we'll be launching will be episode one of A Dusklight Story! All is explained here:

https://youtu.be/S7bRVMz3QjI

All the best!
Harry

2020-11-17 09:31:16

Sounds great. Keep up the great job guys.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2020-11-17 10:35:25

Sounds great! I have a question though (this also applies to A Detective's Demise): Once multiple episodes are released, will it be possible to play them all in one app or will there be separate apps for every episode?

Oh, and #freeGCW

2020-11-17 17:53:47

I am going to try and say this as diplomatically as possible.
Listening to people play through Detective's Demise makes me extremely underwhelmed with the actual content of the game. Yes, the sounds are great, yes, the acting is passing in most instances (I really do not have an issue with it), but where is the story? We get tiny bits and pieces of it as we move about, but not in context. It feels disjointed, tries to engage the listener without any hook, and overall is extremely short. You can finish the game in under 5 minutes assuming you skip all the dialogue. I really hate to be such a critic, but what was your goal with releasing the game? To get feedback? Why not offer beta testing positions instead. To create a hype about the upcoming release? I am sorry, but hearing this game being played discouraged me from touching the product and made me extremely skeptical of your main release (I really have been out of the loop on this whole ordeal).
Something which also concerns me is the "combat" in the game (notice the quotation marks). We have seen this type of game before, multitudes of them, in fact. We can handle more, a lot more than what you seem to consider us being able to. Look at games like Shadow Rine, 3d Velocity, and Shades of Doom which illustrate real-time combat. Look at games like Paladin, Manamon (both I and II), Tactical Battle, and Sound RTS to see an example of more complicated and board intensive action (the latter case applies to the last two games in the list while the former illustrates navigation and or puzzles that have been done before). To be perfectly honest, this feels like an enhanced version of A Western Drama, that is, little choice in what you do and Simon-like sequences to change up the gameplay. You went beyond by allowing us to move around the environment, but overall, this is another interactive audio drama. Again, nothing wrong with that, I just think you are raising community expectations with few merits behind your actions.
Again, I am not trying to discourage you. I'm simply telling things as I see them. If your upcoming release goes beyond what I have listed in this post, I will personally admit to my tendency to assume the worst and deliver a public apology. As of now, though, I wholeheartedly stand behind what I said.

2020-11-17 19:57:14

@189, they have plans to completely change the combat system as well as a lot of other things. watch their latest youtube video and you'll see what I mean.

I love audio games.

2020-12-14 19:15:15

Hey there everybody! Here's me (Harry) talking about the new combat system that'll feature both in the main game and the ADD update, it's been quite the undertaking!

https://youtu.be/sAv3oNKBxtQ

Merry Winter everybody!
Harry, Connor and Jordan

2021-01-11 14:30:56

Listen here or read below!
https://youtu.be/AD3Uz62fFM0

Hi everybody! We hope you had a great winter break and new year!

We thought it’d be good to start the year by giving everyone a progress report on the game!

After listening to all the feedback from A Detective’s Demise we’ve had a significant re-design of A Dusklight Story. It’s clear that complex mechanics are what audio gamers want, on top of the quality 3D audio, sound design, voice acting and narrative we already deliver.

It’s also clear that a lot of audio gamers want complex combat mechanics in games, you’ve heard us discuss this previously and we’ve been working on it. However, we don’t want players to have to fight if they don’t wish to, and we want that decision to be meaningful, adjusting their experience of the rest of the game. That means stealth mechanics are required to move past enemies rather than fighting, that means the persons of interest you hear vary dependent on whether you choose to be a violent character or a peaceful one, that means the ambience in the world shifts depending on how you play to reflect that, that changes the level design, and so on..

Moreover, the Detective’s dialogue in a detective’s demise was something of a highlight for many, and the fact that he voices the menus and as well as talking about his surroundings and to other characters in the game added a lot of cohesion across the whole experience. We want to carry this strength over to A Dusklight Story, which means the main character is now voiced, this changes the in game dialogue, cutscenes and over all narrative.

..aand all of this needs to be integrated, in a cohesive design with our current audio mechanics. Needless to say, this change is very substantial.

The main thing to announce from a technical development perspective is that we’re moving from Unity to Unreal, and converting our current codebase to C++ from C#, this is for a number of reasons. Unreal Engine is closer to the industry standard (if there was one for engines), and uses C++, which is the industry standard programming language. C++ allows for levels of optimization that C# cannot as it facilitates more precise memory management and computation. In order for our games to run on older devices this is necessary. We saw issues with A Detective’s Demise on older devices and would like to ensure our games can be optimized to the fullest extent so that we can solve them.

We’re also moving to use the FMOD Core API for our audio system. This is to remove any overhead from using Unity’s built in audio mixer, and to allow us to have more direct control of the audio including utilizing our own dynamic libraries and plugins, eventually leading to a suite of Purple Jam’s own cross platform audio tools.

As you can imagine, all of these changes to game design and technical retooling add significant time to the development process.
This isn’t something we do lightly, especially considering our Kickstarter backers have been waiting a long time, but the goal has always been to make the best possible audio game, an audio game so compelling it brings the genre closer to the main stream and inspires other devs to make their own. These changes will mean that A Dusklight Story will be the best it can be, which in the long term, we’re sure our backers would prefer. Our new proposed release time for Pitch Black: A Dusklight Story - Episode One is summer 2021.

2021-01-11 20:30:50

wow! @PitchBlack, awesome news!

I love audio games.

2021-01-11 22:03:03

I believe it is worth it, will be waiting and will buy the game for sure

I choose to be happy

2021-01-12 09:53:56

Hi.
Wow. Awesome. Thanks for the amazing update.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2021-01-12 16:57:06

Hi,

One question about this topic: Why does it remain in New Releases? A dusklight story (the game this topic is mostly about) sn't released. Shouldn't this rather be in general game discussion?

Oh, and #freeGCW

2021-01-18 15:49:20

Hey @Juliantheaudiogamer, it was in New Releases back when the Kickstarter was launched, so it's just sort of stayed here.

New video about the lead protagonist guys and gals!

https://youtu.be/gvUB4_kEwEI

All the best
Harry, Connor, and big Jord!

2021-01-19 04:45:59

Would it be possible to make the two protagonists different in some way? In most games they just say the same lines. Would that be able to be changed?

Hopefully, we'll get a fully accessible open world game someday.

2021-12-17 15:13:37

Hi everyone! So sorry we've been so quiet and the release is so far past the original due date. It's been a rocky road, all will be explained. We now have a new release date- 15th April, 2022. This will be episode 1 of Pitch Black: A Dusklight Story ~1 hour of game play. To be followed by 5 more episodes to make the 6 hours total game play promised in the Kickstarter. We're splitting the game into one hour chunks to allow for now iteration between releases, and so that the game is more appropriate for mobile, which as it turns out is by far the largest chunk of our audience. These games will be sent to Kickstarter backers for free and available via our website, the App Store and the Play Store.

The delay is due to Covid 19, a number of personal factors, uncertainty for PJ, and a significant overhaul of the design of the game based on the experience of our previous releases. That doesn't excuse the lack of communication with our supporters however, and we're very sorry for that.

2021-12-17 15:50:45

So it's now only on mobile and not coming as promised in one game with 6 hours of game play? ? Sounds like your backers need their money back bud.

Is this the real life?
Or is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality