2019-08-01 10:43:32

All of those however Defender are first person, where as Cavern quest just lets you move in the cardinal directions.

whilst checking out something like swamp or shades of doom might be a plan generally, it also depends upon the type of game in question, after all New Horizons did a pretty awesome job with vehicular first person in space using an autopilot, scanner ahead and sounds for smaller objects.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-08-01 12:49:43

I think my cavern quest is bugged then. I'm using windows 7, and whenever a new turn begins, it just says attack and doesn't say any health. I was facing a centipede during the first zone.

2019-08-01 18:49:37 (edited by Still_Standing 2019-08-01 19:01:37)

keap up the good work, these games are nice

And as anyone who's gone mountain climbing knows ,The serene snow-covered peaks that look so tranquil from a bdistance, Are the deadliest
sound is my vision
i rarely check my private messages on the forum, so if you want to contact me please use my email, or dm me  at oussama40121 on tw

2019-08-01 21:49:06

@Dark and Defender: Many thanks for the tips. I've got a lot of thinking to do.
@Aaron: I wrote it on a Windows 7 machine running NVDA. The health value is spoken through the screen reader, or SAPI, if no screen reader is detected. You should hear a figure quoted after it says damage inflicted, or similar. It also announces your remaining life, when hurt. At the start there's a crossroads which is announced through speech, rather than recorded wav files. Do you hear that announced?

2019-08-01 23:54:24

@Dark: I've uploaded an amended version that speaks co-ordinates, toggled by f10. It doesn't speak the co-ordinates for rooms with descriptive text.
It's the same Compilation 1 folder, but it now contains Cavern Quest 1 point 1.
Not sure if it has enough time to speak if you're running through a corridor in the furthest corner of the cavern.
I hope that helps, as I want it to be player-friendly and that was a relatively easy fix.

2019-08-01 23:57:55

Hmm maybe treasure hunt then?

2019-08-02 01:33:13

Thanks, that makes a huge difference.
It also occurred to me Defender might be correct since at least in most Fp audiogames, you can usually snap to a relative direction to make navigation around regular surfaces such as buildings, doors etc easier.
Shades of doom and Gma tank commander are the standard here, and Swamp then expanded on that to use more fps like features for a big online game, including mouse movement, though if your planning on trying Swamp I would recommend turning off the graphics to get a full audio experience.

You could also consider having a look at Crazy party, which provides a hole bunch of audio minigames in a format similar to the marrio party series, some are side scrollers, some are top down run around collection games, some are riddles or puzzles, but they give some pretty good ideas of how to represent matters in audio, although I do wish the top down games didn't rely so heavily on the player running into walls big_smile.

Also, I was replaying New Horizonns, or at least adding to my thousands of credits by slaughtering pirates and thargoids in my uba ship (and having lots of fun), and it occurred to me that the auto pilot there   was quite unique, since in most audiogamess, you can usually get a directional beacon to something on request, and maybe its relative position to yours, but the game doesn't turn you automatically, though equally this did add to the feeling of flying a ship.

Then again, in New Horizons I do possibly rely on the autopilot a little too much, indeed I don't usually pay as much attention to what system I'm in or where something is unless I need to run off and refuel, or make my way around one body to get to the thing I want, ----- and even there I usually just overdrive a bit and then let auto pilot turn me when I can make a straight line for whatever I want to get to.

So bottom line, coordinates and player engagement are a good thing, and auto pilots make life easier, but possibly on occasions a little too easy, ----- hence why New Horizons has all those nasty other ships to make travelling around a bit harder big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-08-02 01:59:44

Hi,
Thanks for the clarification regarding announcements. I thought it was actually telling me the amount of damage that was being inflicted, and not the health remaining.

2019-08-02 09:27:34

I'm developing the idea of an aircraft carrier game, but thinking that the player should be able to fly an aircraft from its deck to visit islands occupied by 3D buildings and various units. The overall map could be semi-randomly arranged, with pre-defined island shapes.
This provides scope for free exploration and some autopilot help. Random missions, and units similar to basic command and conquer. You might exit the aircraft as a commando unit in order to interact with other units and buildings.
I should be able to do this as I have already written a 3D helicopter simulation that wasn't an audio game, amongst others.
It would be a complex environment that would offer a lot of scope for a variety of games and scenarios.

2019-08-02 09:37:17

Hi.

@Freman well, while it would be a complicated undertaking indeed, I think you would strike a nerve with the comunity just like with new horizons because what we need are more complex games, and I think you are heading into the right direction with that approach you have.

And hey, Carriers, aircraft, big guns missiles and bombs? Count me in 100 percent.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2019-08-02 10:05:57

Hmm, Three D velocity, Eurofly, and Zero Sight would be the games to check out for ideas on how to do navigation in a game like that then.

2019-08-02 10:56:03

I'll admit that modernish military ethos is less my preferd setting, then again there have been games of this sort I've enjoyed in the past such as Gma tank commander, time of conflict and zero site, and I definitely like the sound of random maps and gameplay elements in a more complex world, as Simba said that is the sort of thing we need in audiogame terms, move away from the hear it, hit it style of gameplay and into games that require a bit more judgement by the player.

Actually one thing I'm liking about the compilation, is that even the more arcade style titles like Space invaders have a degree more positional logic and judgement behind them, as opposed to just fast reactions, and require the player to actually master the game's mechanics, EG calculating relative position of the player and speed of bomb or shot when taking out those tanks in Airlift or shooting invaders.

2019-08-02 14:09:12

Hi,
I've really been enjoying this compilation, so if there's ever a compilation volume 2,
have you considered:
A game in the style of joust
A more defender-like game, as that can be quite intense
Tetris-style thing
Track and Field
And for the most complex game in this release, A side scrolling beat em up with combos and weapons, ala Final Fight. We've had side scrolling games in the community but none have come close to one of those. None have included combos or different elements like that.

2019-08-02 18:23:05

I'd love to see a final fight/streets of rage style game in audio, especially if it could replicate not just the combos and attacks but also the playing field, since thus far no audio 2d games have had that isometric view which let you move up and down as well as jump (even though that would be quite possible in audio). Still, that would be a more major project I susect than a smaller compilation volume would involve.

Myself, if your thinking smaller games, I agree with Aaron about Joust, I've also always wanted to see some audiogames mimmick top[ down arcade shooters like Berzerk, robotron or smash Tv, since while we've had some pretty cool audio collectemups, none have replicated that style of gameplay.

Another thing I'd love to see is an audio tower defense game. We  have one, towers of war, but something along those lines would rock, then again if I start on about games I'd love to see in audio we'll be hear all day big_smile.

2019-08-02 20:18:49

We're actually very far behind when it comes to what types of games we've got represented. Heck, I'd say that your version of Space Invaders is one of the best, as it's much more like the original. In the versions that came before it, it wasn't swarms of ships. You had one, two maybe three ships on screen sometimes more, and you targeted each individually in the center of the screen. Yours is way more challenging.

2019-08-02 20:31:10

Hi.

I think the advantage freman has that he is sighted and knows that tad more about how these games like space invaders should be. yes, we had the PCS space invaders back in the day, was it from 97?

Anyway, what I want to say is that we need more sighted developers for the audio gaming comunity, else, no new concepts will come around and games will stay the same.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2019-08-02 21:25:00 (edited by Dark 2019-08-02 21:28:44)

I wouldn't say its a "sighted developer," issue, so much as developers who know a bit more about the connection between game mechanics and engaging the player.

To take a simple example, in most previous audio space invaders games, the player's shots were not specifically represented as moving. That is, you hit the button, and whatever was in the centre went boom! You did not need to bother thinking about the time it would take your shot to get from your position on the ground to where the invader would be in the air.

Usually where there was variety in the games, this occurred by modifying the movement patterns and style of the invaders, EG Alien outback having invaders with shields or those that moved in diagonals rather than straight down, or blasted you if they got low enough, thus the only things you needed to be aware of was your movement speed relative to that of the invaders.

this is a relatively simple matter, and there is no earthly reason a blind developer couldn't have thought of it, however it does take a bit more planning out  of the actual physics and mechanics of the game, rather than just relying on basically playing sounds and having stuff happen, IE creating a glorified Bopit.

Indeed, while I'd love that hyper complex audio final fantasy or civilisation as much as anyone, I've often wished people could get the simple mechanics of game challenge and physics right, and thus create arcade games relying on the player's judgement.

Look at all those true classics. No need for hyper graphics or ridiculously overdone games, just great mechanics done well.

Wow I'm  really wanting that audio Mega man now big_smile;

2019-08-03 00:15:38 (edited by Dark 2019-08-03 00:16:01)

Oh, the game now has a DB page, which you can Find here

I might have to update it if there are more updates to the games and things change, but that should hopefully   let people outside this forum find the games more easily.

2019-08-03 00:29:11

I'm making notes on all your requests.
New Horizons, based on Elite, worked well because there were multiple elements that fused together in a single game.
There are specific challenges to presenting information as sound only, but it also allows the programmer to focus on the game play.
It's possible that some of the best elements of different games can be fused together in a way that is optimal for audio only.
I'm not saying this very well at all, but trust me, I'm working towards making something that's better than the sum of the compilation. I may disappear again for a while, but I'll be back with something new.

2021-01-05 17:37:51 (edited by musicalman 2021-01-05 17:41:17)

Reviving an old thread here, but I'm posting to express my own thoughts. I just discovered this collection 2 days ago.

I absolutely love these small arcade games, I really don't know why. So to find a compilation of 4 of them is really awesome! Even though they are experimental, even though I have my critiques, I can see a ton of work went into them, introducing fresh mechanics and a nice sense of balance that I have found lacking in a number of newer games I've tried. I particularly have to praise how well-flushed out they feel. They don't feel like an experimental game where you simply tried an idea and moved on, they feel like ideas which were tried, checked to make sure they were playable, then expanded and tested to see how far they could be taken, and I appreciate that a lot.

I haven't really tried Cavern Quest or the racing game much. The former sounds like it would be on the complex side, so I initially steered away from it. But I'll sit down with them at some point and see what I can make of them. Cavern Quest in particular does sound intriguing, and by reading the readme alone, I have no doubt that lots of tlc went into it.

The Space Invaders game is, interesting? My perceptions are mixed. I don't at all think it is a poor game. On the contrary, it has that same ingenuity behind it I saw in the other games. I just... can't really get into it. Maybe my problem is that my only exposure to games was exclusively through audio games, which of course did Space Invaders way differently and catered better to my simple brain lol.

I'm finding it really awkward to get used to the flow of this one. I think I understand what the sounds mean, but my brain can't interpret them adequately to make me feel like I know what I'm supposed to be shooting at. Actually, shooting constantly and following the tones worked pretty well for me; if tones are on the left, move toward the left and shoot, and if they are on the right, move toward the right and shoot. It doesn't make any sense when I think about it and how the sounds are supposed to work but, yeah. Even with little thought to the groupings or the trajectory of my shots, I managed to get to level 9 or 10, which made me wonder if I actually understood the game or if I was just getting lucky. maybe a bit of both, since I did find myself getting the hang of prioritizing enemies at the bottom once I thinned the swarm out a bit, but it was still kind of weird, like the student who can't explain his thinking but knows just enough to awkwardly fumble into a solution either by chance or by some primitive intuition.

I think what's throwing me is that the enemies are moving but their movement and positions are being represented by group sounds, making it hard for me to visualize what's going on. I'm trying to break down the information about the group, and probably doing a terrible job haha. At the same time, grouping this way is necessary with over 100 aliens on screen!

Overall, I think I prefer the bullet hell of Audiostrike. It's more overwhelming, but conveys things in a way I can more easily follow. Of course, Audiostrike cheats a little by using a radar system to tell you when something is on a collision course, and you have every conceivable option to filter the field down, choose your perspective, and even slow the game down etc. Also, enemies are quite free to land, so long as they don't land on top of you, so that changes the dynamic. Maybe that's why I prefer that game, your main focus is survival of your ship, not survival of Earth, which makes it easier to filter the incoming information.

Finally Airlift. I really, really love this one, and I suspect I'm not alone. I made it to level 4... I make it there every time now, but ultimately end up getting killed trying to avoid those darned aliens. I rarely have one show up, I just run into things when trying to stay below 75 feet. What's worse, I start to get comfortable and something distracts me or throws my concentration for just a second or two, and that's when I get murdered. So I'm not having any problems playing the game, my focus just tires I guess.

Some time soon I'll put on my focusing cap and try again. I doubt anything new shows up after level 4, but maybe i'll be surprised. I'll at least try to shoot for level 5 or 6 if I can.

So yeah, those are my thoughts. Keep up your great work!

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2021-01-15 18:11:36

I don't want to offend anyone but the cavern quest is as non-intuitive as I don't know what. I kind of press d and click on s to let go of d and instead of making a combo, as in readme, I hear only the error sound that even the screenreader does not read. I think I prefer the morokuma or our Chinese games. I repeat, I do not want to offend anyone, but such frustration and anger at any game did not flow out of me. And I can't even show what it pops up.

2021-01-15 19:33:40

I tried playing cavern quest, but had some problem. I had no idea i was moving through a zone and i got no sound to indicate stuff. I am using nvda to play.