2020-12-29 13:38:20

so I haven't forgotten about the article and/or demo I'm supposed to record.
I'm just waiting for tomorrow's patch because a change in the last update made things a little more difficult for beginning players.  specifically, the new speech interrupts the dev put in also cause speech to be interrupted when reading stuff when multiple lines of text come in at once.

I'm probably gonna get banned for this, but...

2020-12-30 10:24:04

OK, new version available:
Dev added local waypoints. Maybe this will be helpful for us. But we still have the problem with general exploring i think.
We will see.

2020-12-31 06:46:12

Exploring settlements is actually not difficult at all, especially with the new local waypoints.
What I like to do is start at one of the corners, and move a couple steps away from one of the exits until I bump into a wall.  You know you've reached a wall because it'll tell you you need a pick axe to move in that direction.
Once you do that, you can just trail the building.  Most houses are like 10x10 or so so you don't have to bump into the wall every time you move.
As of the latest update, doors should always be on the south side of the building, at least for houses.  to open a door, you just walk through it.
Once you've scavenged through your first house, just head straight in another direction, e.g. if you found the house on the northwest corner of the settlement, face away from the eastern wall and head east until you hit the next building.  They're all lined up.
  You can repeat the same steps in the next house.
Some of the buildings are not yet complete.  You'll know you're at one because unlike the houses, they're not squares.  also, when you enter them, you'll see donation boxes.  Inspecting them will tell you what supplies are needed to complete that building.

2021-01-03 19:08:45

just a quick question. If I update, the game, how do I transfer over my old save files?

2021-01-03 19:42:09

A lot of the time they keep recommending that you don't transfer old saves over.

2021-01-03 19:53:41

Not completely sure, but i think the saves are somewhere deep in the local system folders.
But they really shouldn't be used!

2021-01-04 06:30:50

Your save should persist even if you copy / paste over the old folder.

2021-01-05 16:30:50

what about things like my old combined score total though for things like unlocks and such, how do I keep that going?

2021-01-06 02:13:24 (edited by defender 2021-01-06 02:14:36)

So a question from someone who's been following this thread on and off and is interested in playing the game but unsure of how frustrating it will be.

In your opinion's how usable is this game by the totally blind, relatively advanced level screen reader user, and beyond that, how much enjoyment can be gotten out of it VS the level of work to play.
Compared to a sighted user, how much am I actually missing, and am I able to complete 100% of the game's content at this time.
A simple score out of 10 or 100 or what ever will do.

2021-01-06 05:45:00

definitely at least an 8 or a 9.
The only thing that isn't accessible to us at the moment is the map, and there are other ways of obtaining some of the information it contains.
the developer's also open to feedback on the discord server; Most of my suggestions have been put in the next patch one or two days later.

2021-01-06 07:12:51

Please also keep in mind that this game is still in its alpha stage. I don’t know how long it’s been like this, but I hope it can get out of alpha sometime in the near future.

Hopefully, we'll get a fully accessible open world game someday.

2021-01-06 18:45:28

Okay, to say how much I enjoyed the older version of the game with quests, I'm a little slow to get to this one.
I'm liking the changes so far, such as the voice command and high detail mode, albeit I have some questions.

First, some ways to check condition would be really helpful, especially since I'm not wandering the screen as much as before, \indeed report of condition changes in the log would be nice, since while the /condition command tells you how wounded etc you are, it doesn't report things like your mood, and since as I remember in fara mood is really important for doing anything that might help.

I'm using a rather odd combination of Sapi and the quick action box at the moment, since things like checking inventory and inspecting still take clicking, but hay it works so I won't quibble, albeit I spent a while looking for the items list.

I also don't know if it's me, but there seem to be less trees and other things kicking around at game start, since I remember my most successful previous chars were those who made equipment, as this is one game where crafting really matters, indeed it might be sort of nice to get a vague idea where in each area you are, if not a coordinates system, at least a notification when your close to the edge, so you can explore systematically.

I am liking the waypoints system though, and the compass, although I've not done more than going to the first settlement so far, then getting myself killed while exploring big_smile.

Nice to see the game is being worked on though, I'll be interested to see more.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2021-01-06 20:27:38

Actually Dark, all of that can be done through / commands.
I'd suggest grabbing the latest version as many commands have been introduced in the last couple weeks.

I'll paste the latest few changelog entries for you, at least those that pertain to new commands.
--- Added a /highdetail setting which provides more information in the game log for actions and events normally handled by other parts of the interface. It will produce a message for every step taken in local areas, inform you of the closest tile to exit a local area, and produce messages when new targets come into view.
--- Added /listwearing, /listholding, /listitems, and /listtargets which produce in-log lists of their respective windows. Can also be performed with /lw, /lh, /li, and /lt.
- Added /condition and /targetcondition commands which list the condition of you or your target. /targetcondition can also be invoked with /tc, and the statement is also now part of /inspect.
- Added more descriptive text to various actions such as /search and /moveto so they provide the same level of information in the game log as they do on the map
- Added /speechrate (1-10) command which adjusts the speed of ingame Text-to-Speech. Can also be invoked with /sr.
- Added a few more commands to output commonly referenced information to the game log:
--- /stats lists out your primary stats
--- /attunement lists all of your attunement ratings
--- /class outputs your class information
--- /target while having a target will output its distance and direction
--- /targets lists all visible targets
--- /keyfragments outputs the number of fragments currently owned and the total collected
- Added game log feedback from adjusting the /build reticle when /highdetail is enabled
- Performing actions while TTS is speaking now interrupts the voice and starts reading the most recent events. This behavior can be toggled with /speechinterruption or /si.
- Added a local waypointing system:
--- /setlocalwaypoint 'name' creates waypoints on local maps. Can also be done with /slw.
--- /clearlocalwaypoint 'name' clears them. Can also be done with /clw.
--- /goto 'name' or /approach 'name' will attempt to pathfind to the local waypoint.
- Building entrances in settlements now always face south because of lore and definitely not for any other reason.
- Split /approach and /goto into separate commands. /approach is now specifically for walking up to targets, and /goto is for walking to locations.
- Added partial matching to /goto command. i.e. '/goto 1' will take you to 'Local Waypoint 1' if there isn't a direct match.
- Fixed a TTS issue which prevented readouts following the /say command
- Added /listexits command which details the distance and direction of the closest exit to leave a local map
- The /listitems command now notes inventory capacity and current load.
- With /highdetail enabled, a change in compass direction will produce a log message.

2021-01-06 20:35:20

so with all that pasted, I thought I'd go a little deeper into how the commands work.
/condition and /targetcondition should definitely report emotional state.  It's possible that they didn't in an older version but they definitely do now.
You can use your inventory without pressing any buttons.  /i will inspect an item whether it's on the ground or in your inventory, /use will interact with it, then you've got your usual /take, /drop, etc.
If you're having trouble finding a certain object, you can tab through the list.  Sapi will read every item.
Once an item or being is your target, you can use /use or /take or /give or any other command without specifying a target.
I strongly recommend binding all the commands you use most often to keys, this can be done with the /setkey command.
To bind /li (inventory) to I, you'd do /setkey I listitems.
I might have those backwards, I don't currently have the game open to check.
There are a bunch of present keys, e will interact, for example.  They can all be seen with /help.
Also, if you're using NVDA, you can type in the box / do things without actually navigating to the text box.  Just press NVDA+space to disable browse mode, do what you need to do and then hit the keys again and your position on the webpage should not be changed.

2021-01-07 07:50:05 (edited by Dark 2021-01-07 07:51:28)

@Aaron77, I am playing the latest version, indeed I had to go and delete my old save from the ap data folder to get it to run, though I don't mind restarting.

I didn't know about all those commands though, I have been using high detail mode, but I wasn't aware at the wearing or inventory commands, so thanks for the info there.

Btw,  I am getting map and compass info, but I'll need to check on closest tile to exit a local area, since I've walked off the side in some cases without realising while trying to explore.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2021-01-07 11:21:12 (edited by Dark 2021-01-07 11:40:51)

Okay I am finding those list commands useful, albeit I still sometimes have the problem that I find myself going into battle hitting things with the wrong item big_smile.
The only thing I'm not seeing is this information about how close to the edge of local areas you are.

I've tried both a lost child quest and a find creature quest and both of them the target did not appear. I used the search command but still getting nothing.
I wouldn't mind having to search the area systematically, accept I keep walking out of it by mistake.
Btw, I downloaded the latest version from Itch.io just to make sure I got all the new changes.

It might also be helpful at some point to have a wall notification Eg "you step to the south, there is a wall to the west", so you can navigate by tracking walls manamon style if there are dungeons later.
It's not a problem currently, since in relica buildings are just boxes you can walk around and find the door, but if some other areas have slightly more complex layouts it might help.

2021-01-07 16:07:41

About the lost child, try to wander into the local area using search every four or five steps, Sometimes it can take long but you should find him. During the night do not forget to light up a torch to get a better search range.

A wall notification would be a great idea indeed, because yes, you can find dungeons in the game and they are rather big !

2021-01-07 16:24:44

@Tony78, I did find the lost child, thanks, then he got killed by the monster I ran into in the next area.

I've got no problem with the searching, but notifications when your at the edge of an area would make that a lot easier I think, ditto with the walls.

I also wish there was some sort of warning system when your condition changes so you know when to go and eat or rest, or when combat is getting critically bad.
Actually, one thing I am finding is while it's now easy to get to relica, since it's harder to make initial crafting stuff like wood and burlap, the initial start is a bit harder, since previously you'd always start with at least a wooden axe and some burlap and thus could make yourself a bit more gear.
At the moment, unless I get very lucky with weapons, chopping down trees takes a long time, and combat is usually deadly even at the start, since it's rather hard to keep a distance between you and monsters when they're determined to get you.

I don't know if this is where jumping is supposed to help, though thus far jumping seems to help with dodging rather than with actually going elsewhere in the area.

2021-01-07 17:36:50

@Dark For chopping trees, here is my technic : If you are lucky you can find a few logs by harvesting trees. So, I keep harvesting trees until I got enough wooden blocks to craft a wooden axe. Do not hesitate to explore area where trees can be found like woods, forest, jungle... until you get enough blocks.

Be carefull with jumping and dodging, it cost much more stamina than before, and being exhausted during combat is equal to death. When you are in mely combat with a little weak monster, do not make the mistake of wasting your stamina by dodging its attacks, and keep hitting it instead. Since exhaustion considerably slows your character, you will take around 3 hits from the monster while you'll hit it only one time. by this way, I experiensed a very frustrating defeat against the first stupid ridiculous little monster I encountered in the game.

Other tip, try to recruit mercenaries at Relica as soon as possible, and craft or find a ranged weapon as soon as possible too, it can help against a certain kind of ennemy.

2021-01-07 19:04:42

so a few things:
The game originally announced when you were approaching area exits, but none of us on the discord liked it.  It was extremely spammy and slowed everything down.
what I've done is map the /listexits command to E so whenever I walk around I can quickly hit E to hear what exits I'm near.
Also, finding the lost child is easy.  just /shout follow me as you wander around the area.  If the child hears you, it will join you.
when traveling over the worldmap, use S (that's shift s) to enter stealth mode.  it dramatically reduces the odds of encountering monsters while traveling, at the cost of navigation taking more ingame time and movement costing more stamina.
On that note, leaving an area through the /leave command fully refills your stamina bar if you're not interrupted.  this is because the leave command takes up about an hour of ingame time.  So if you're traveling around the world stealthed, you can e to enter then /leave if you are in what appears to be a safe area.  You may be wrong sometimes, so try to enter an area immediately after your stamina shows as winded.
If there are evil creatures threatening you, manually walk to an exit and head that way. 
This is where jumping is invaluable.
if you hit space or type /jump, you will be given a little targetting cursor that you use to position where you want to end up.  You can typically only jump about 2 tiles, but it works as a dodge as well as movement, though keep in mind it will cost a good chunk of stamina.
try only using that when something is already on top of you or if some baddy is shooting stones at you. 
When fleeing, try to pick a direction where you know there is a non-aggressive critter.  Most animals won't attack you, so if you can head in the direction of one, great, as they will distract your attacker long enough for you to escape.
the jumping cursor is moved with the arrow keys, and you'll receive spoken feedback about what is on each tile you target.

Regarding wood... wood is very easy to obtain, and there are multiple ways of doing so.
the majority of objects can be salvaged with the /salvage command.  You'll learn the recipe to make them and there's also a pretty high chance you'll obtain parts that can be used for your own crafting projects.  Keep in mind though that if a commoner sees you, your relationship with them will drop, so enter stealth mode before salvaging their furniture... or their door.
to acquire a lot of wood from trees, harvest them twice to get them nearly destroyed, then attack them with an axe.  wooden axes are really easy to craft.  You only need 6 wooden blocks to build your workbench and the axe combined, and after you build your first workbench, your dowel is 1 wood (and you get two,) and the axe itself is another.
The tree should drop a bunch of logs (or at least more than the 1 log you'd get from just harvesting the tree) which you can then turn into wooden blocks or planks for future crafting projects.
I suggest you establish a home somewhere, whether that's setting a local waypoint in a house in Relica and claiming it for yourself or building one elsewhere so you have a place to store all your resources.  Building one elsewhere is nice because you can then plant things in or around it for more resources in a few days.
On that note, always eat cooked meals whenever possible.  Toss some fruits or fresh meat into a campfire or fire pit and use the /cook command.  Those meals provide a bit of healing, boost up your stamina and boost up your stats a bit.
As has previously been stated, mercs are very useful and I highly recommend getting some, as even if yours isn't particularly powerful, it will still act as a distraction while you escape whatever you're fighting.
Okay, I think that's all the advice I can think of.
Let me know if you have more issues or questions!

2021-01-07 21:03:42

@aaron77 I'm not sure what you mean by "exit tiles", exactly. As far as I can work out, you exit an area by literally walking off the edge of it. The problem I tend to have is when I'm searching an area, I'll accidently walk off the edge without meaning to.

true, if it was listing the entire edge of an area as exits that would be a problem, but if it just said "you step west, exit west," rather like "you step west, wall south", only speaking of the tiles immediately next to your characters' location then that shouldn't be a problem.

This is the main issue I'm having since I keep trying to walk around an area and find resources or search it for quest targets, and walking straight off the edge since I never know how close to the edge I am.
I will try the /listexits command though and see if that helps.

With wood and crafting, I didn't know you could get logs from harvesting trees, I thought the only way to get logs was just by chopping the trees down, which seems to take quite a while.
Your also  correct as far as staminer goes, in the past jumping was far more useful, though it would be nice to get condition reports in the log so you can know when you need to rest or to run away from a fight.

2021-01-07 22:40:41

yeah, all /listexits does at the moment is tells you if you're near a border and how many steps away it is.
wall notifications would be nice though they're not something I've needed, because as you said buildings are squares.
navigating castles and forts is also easy because there are braziers to guide your path to all the important rooms.
what did jump used to do and why was it more useful?  I only started playing after the big patch from last month.
Harvesting trees does not in itself provide logs.  The point to harvesting trees is that harvesting lowers the durability of the tree far faster than actually attacking (at least with the crappy quality wooden axes and stats you start with.)  So you harvest twice (because a third time will completely destroy the tree,) then attack with the axe.  If the axe deals the killing blow, so to speak, you'll earn more logs than if if another weapon or your harvesting dealt the killing blow. 
If you use discord, I highly recommend the game's Discord server.  Everyone is really friendly and you could speak to the developer directly about your suggestions.
I'm also active on there and would be happy to help you out further as I could respond far quicker.
The server's link is:
https://discord.gg/FEp52yj

2021-01-09 09:21:06

hi how can i download this game? the download for windows link or what it is doesnt work
thanks for hel.

2022-06-01 10:18:46

Did anything interesting happen for us with the last update in April 2021?
What is the latest status in terms of exploration and dungeon handling?
Is the discord-server still active?

2023-05-26 10:43:17

Has anyone here checked out the latest versions?
Has anything interesting happened?
The developer has just released a major update. For example, there's sound and music now, and he also seems very interested in how sound would make the game more playable in general.