2021-01-03 23:36:03 (edited by defender 2021-01-03 23:36:31)

If the devs don't fix the registration issue within the next week, I'll be happy to buy the game for any of you who genuinely can't get it for what ever reason.  Otherwise, it's only 2 bucks, which should be worth it even for those with bad exchange rates.

2021-01-03 23:56:44 (edited by Stealcase_ 2021-01-03 23:58:49)

Hey!

I'm sorry to everyone who went to the page to get the free game and signed up to the newsletter without getting a code for the game. I recently gave it a 2$ price tag to incentivize people signing up to an email list for my next game: Monsters of the North, where I use everything I learned from Code Dungeon to make an even more complete experience.
So code dungeon is Technically Free, but the title of this thread that was just revived has become a little misleading.

I've been stuck on a silly problem getting the codes out: I can send normal emails using Mailchimp, but it costs about 30$ a month to send out person-spesific game keys. So right now I'm rolling my own system for this, and sending out keys manually until it's done, but I have been a little bad during the holidays.

so @mojsior, @toto , I'm sending you PM's with gamekeys. Thanks for taking an interest! I'm sorry for the delay.
EDIT: @defender very nice of you to offer that. I appreciate it!

And @musicalman @68 thanks for the high praise. It really warms my heart reading your experience, and how accurately it matches what I was HOPING the game would do.
I really appreciate the feedback.

To answer some of your questions:

1. The enemy health drops are random, but I believe that different enemies drop health at different rates: Chompers might be the most reliable health source, but I don't remember the exact numbers. Warthogs, on the other hand, can only drop Powerups (if they drop anything at all).

2. That is the gist of it: baiting them out, trying to isolate, and trying to clear out a single enemy quickly. When you learn how the sword combo system works, you can very quickly make short work of chompers and archers.  When you hear the fleshy "hit" sound, quickly press the opposite sword button to perform another strike. You can shave off a lot of time killing an enemy if you do a bunch of successive hits. Note that hitting walls or Warthog armor with a sword will break the combo.

Using this combo system you can try a strategy I call the woodchipper: your sword has an Arc, and when you have a bunch of enemies in front of you and you successfully start hitting them, you can theoretically walk towards the enemies and aggressively trying to activate the left-right combo and hit several of them each hit. effectively using your combo momentum to eviscerate them (EXCEPT FOR Warthogs, because they will destroy this strategy).

If you want to practice this, try hitting torches: when you hear the "hit" sound of your sword going through the torch, press the other sword swing button. You'll notice it's a lot faster than spamming the same sword button over and over. T
his isn't an obvious mechanic explained in-game.

3. Thanks for mentioning the control saving issue: It's been something I've fixed several times, but always comes back. Sorry that's been your experience: I know that stuff is annoying.

And to answer a question you didn't ask:

Each floor has at least 1 secret room with a powerup, and sometimes a bunch of enemies guarding the powerup. I think the secret room on floor 3 is the hardest to find, and hardest to beat.

Working on Monsters of the North, posting gamedev stuff on Mastodon
Code Dungeon Download Link
Youtube Trailer and Tutorial

2021-01-04 00:27:34

Don't think I posted here yet, but congrats on an awesome game. Even though it's short as it is I don't think I've seen more immersive audio in a game, the way you can hear the room acoustics changing based on where the walls are is simply amazing.

We recently Streamed this game with a friend who managed to be so fast at playing it he just might have accidentally found a way to go out of bounds... But don't pay attention to that bit. ;-)

I'm really excited to hear you're working on something new. I can't wait to see the results!

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2021-01-04 00:56:14

Hi.
I have received a key.
Thank you.

2021-01-04 01:39:38

@78 Thanks for the complement pitermach! Fun that your friend managed to get out of bounds: I've bugtested a LOT and even I haven't managed that. Did they dash into a corner at a perfect angle or something? If you have a clip of the stream please do share it with me: I learn so much from checking out how people play the game.

2021-01-04 02:07:49

Hi.

I played the game and like it, although I wish there was a keyboard keymap instead of having to change the keys every time I start the game.

I've also noticed the sounds seam to get further away from me when I go forward, as in I'm not centred as the character and it makes it very hard to play, is this normal?

I'm looking forward to your next game, it seams like more of my kind of thing.

I'm gone for real :)

2021-01-04 08:04:21 (edited by musicalman 2021-01-04 08:05:11)

@Stealcase, I did discover the combo sysstem by complete accident, but had no idea if it was intentional or predictable, so thanks for telling me about it!

Normal chompers drop health at random, and archers will always drop it. If it is a truly random event, this makes me feel better; I thought I had to do something specific to get it from the normal chompers.

Any tips for killing the warthogs without running 'round in circles clashing into their armor?

@brad, maybe you're hearing the occlusion at work (where a wall is blocking the sound), or perhaps you're mistakenly walking away from the object? Not sure without hearing it.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2021-01-04 09:42:17

hi
I m got your message but when I m paste link
I got your page don't find
but its ok I m pay to day 2 $

2021-01-04 13:01:38

hi ok
when i m run the game I hear music and I can walk through the game menubut i don't read anything what i have to do?

2021-01-04 13:01:47

I got a bit further in the game but have decided it's not for me, the navigation without a mouse is a bit to tricky, I'll check out the next game though.

2021-01-04 13:16:26

toto wrote:

hi ok
when i m run the game I hear music and I can walk through the game menubut i don't read anything what i have to do?

Are you pressing up and down arrow keys to go through the menus?

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2021-01-04 14:24:33

@84 The screen reader should be on by default, are you not hearing any voices? If not, you can press "1" on the menu to force-toggle the screenreader.
To navigate the menu, use Up and down arrow keys, and press enter to select.

@85 Thanks for giving it a try brad.

There is an optional keyboard-only control scheme: you can use Shift and A or D to turn at 45 degree increments: so you can bind your keys to never use mouse at all if you like, or just use the mouse for the buttons and keyboard for rotation.

If you ever get "mis-aligned" with the world and find that you can't go through tight hallways (maybe you accidentally moved the mouse), you can always use Shift and Q to snap to a cardinal direction.

2021-01-04 15:00:35

@Stealcase, Thanks.

2021-01-04 15:24:25

@Stealcase I pasted the link in my post, but here it is again in case something broke. The link has a timestamp on it so the player should jump to the code dungeon part of the stream.

https://youtu.be/AkqEZ-iLzC0?t=6959

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2021-01-04 16:37:05

ok thanks work

2021-01-04 21:43:40

Hi:

I downloaded the game when it was free. Has it been updated since then? THen being sometime last year.

When the wandering fire strikes the heart of stone, will you follow? Will you take ... the longest road?
Guy Gavriel Kay

discord: tayo134

2021-01-07 15:28:29

this game is awesome but i m wayting for e future updates!