2020-12-21 04:40:09

Itch.io tells me that 4x4 Galaxy had a new upload.
I downloaded the game again just in case.

2020-12-21 12:49:20

Hi,
Can anyone give me any tips for travel (also known/spelt as Trawel?)
1. If I'm in a dungeon, it sometimes says traverse stairs but it just puts me in the same spot.
2. I'm also wondering the best way to, well, get better. For instance, I keep dying to a gladiator.
3. How do classes work? I've selected executioner and witch, but my attacks don't seem to change, is it all automatic/happens as you attack or something? How do I heal?
4. Will my compass ever change? It seems to just show one path, even though I've traveled on from the second town. Is it because I haven't cleared an objective or quest or something?
5. Then, lastly, I do not know if my game is saved. When saving sometimes, I get stuff like "unknown source".

2020-12-21 13:17:06

Luel wrote:

Itch.io tells me that 4x4 Galaxy had a new upload.
I downloaded the game again just in case.

Hi, dev of 4x4 Galaxy here. I stumbled upon this thread yesterday, as a lot of traffic was coming from here to my itch page. Based on the feedback in the thread (about link colours) I updated the screen reader friendly version to include (easy), (medium) or (hard) after planet names on the map, so you no longer need to detect the link colour. I wanted to post this info here immediately, but it took me a while to realise I need to introduce myself on the forum to be able to reply.

I'm glad people here are enjoying my game! Thanks for all feedback, too.

(One more thing concerning the difficulty - it only affects travel encounters (enemy starships) and not content on the planets themselves, so a dungeon will be equally difficult whether it spawns on an "easy" planet or a "hard" one).

I make games with Twine: https://agat.itch.io/

2020-12-21 13:22:55

that helps! thank you!

2020-12-21 13:27:34

Dungeons are a mistery to me too in trawel, sorry about me myspelling it by the way, its with w. Getting better is about your equipment, try to get as good equipment as you can, i usually go for better in the defense categories and not better in stats. So for example if i have a normal steel plate without stats which gives lets say 50 of each defense, and i find another plate which gives 150 defense of each but it gives you like 0,80 dodge, i'd still take the better defense one, in my opinion if they can not get through your armor they can bang against it as much as they want to. You need to put skill points into your classes, for example with basic training in executioner you get a static ability, which is execute.
On a different topic, hello agat and welcome to the forum, your game is awesome. Any other stuff which you're working on? Just curious smile

Hail, Daughter of Hatred. Creator of Sanctuary. Hail...Lilith.

2020-12-21 13:54:38

Thanks for the warm welcome! Actually, I'm now working on a gameplay sequel to Galaxy, called 4x4 Archipelago. It's set in a fantasy world and has much more in-depth combat and rpg mechanisms (experience, spells, combat techniques, taming wild beasts...). (These are things I didn't have time to implement in Galaxy, as I wrote it in only 2 months for the Spring Thing. Though, Galaxy was for me a great starting point into making something bigger in the same vein). I have most systems in place and now I'm writing quests and storylines. My goal is to enter Archipelago in the 2021 IfComp next September.

2020-12-21 13:57:43

Hey hey Agat! A very warm welcome! And thank you very much for this nice little piece of gaming! You did a realy fine job on this project!
I like it a lot!
Oh and also thanks for this helpful update about the galaxy screen!

2020-12-22 00:49:06

@agat, Hi and welcome.
thanks for the update that is awesome, and I'll definitely be looking forward to the next game.

I've not quite managed to finish four x four galaxy yet, got extremely far then got taken out by an alien soldier who took my hp down from 7 to 0 with one shot, --- the scumbag! big_smile.

I'll get there in the end though, and in the mean time, I'm loving the exploring, different planets and goals and the need to understand how different factors in the game, EG trading, mining etc, all work, so the idea of something more complex in this vane definitely sounds good.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-12-22 14:34:10

Hi Agat, welcome to the forum and thanks for that update!

2020-12-22 17:26:20

Hi, thank you for all these new and deep games. Will try them out. Would be cool if trawel could be optained from other platforms than just steam, I never got it to work even with the guide. Do you know if it is optainable from other platforms? Maybe the developer could be contacted directly about this.

2020-12-23 15:19:07

I think there is a demo of Travel available on steam. Is this correct? and is this demo sufficient for a good first impression?

2020-12-23 18:49:27

Yes, and yes... smile

Hail, Daughter of Hatred. Creator of Sanctuary. Hail...Lilith.

2020-12-23 19:12:07

@Arnold: Thanks and thaaanks!
Oh hey! could you open your skype?

2020-12-27 17:56:29

can someone explain Trawel? the thing mentions sounds and stuff, but I don't hear any, is it actually finished?

2020-12-28 01:56:00

hi agat. welcome to forum. i have a suggestion about 4x4. can you please at least easy, medium, hard lable to web version? please. i am playing using my iphone's safari but i cannot identify which area is easy.

hi. i am a dark matter miner. yeah, i am setting mines that when something steps on it, it will explode and release huge amount of dark matters. oh sorry... i am a slave miner, i am mining dark matters...

2020-12-30 10:07:57

Well I completed four x four galaxy, which was cool, I like the way that alternative methods of completion are available, at least in terms of  ground combat or cash, though I did sort of wish towards the end that more upgrades were available, as I had lots of cash and renown and only limited stuff to spend it on, plus having to use medkits every turn when fighting some tougher enemies did get a bit bothersome, since I was sort of wishing that more weapons, armour and other stuff could be found, though I admit having my charismatic trader character talk himself out of trouble or intimidate enemies into surrender was sort of amusing.

That being said, really enjoyed exploring all the planets, seeing the strange aliens and finally defeating the evil slavers with the awesome power of money big_smile.

I'll be interested to see how the other characters and objectives play out, and in seeing a game along similar lines with complex systems, definitely a nice edition to the lexican.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-12-30 10:52:11

Hi!

@Necrozma: Unfortunately, itch only lets me have one game file per project launched through the website. Have you tried downloading the screen-reader friendly version onto your phone? I tested it on mine (an Android phone) and it worked fine. (other than map accessibility, the embedded and downloadable versions are the same, both are a single html file). Hope this works for you.

The good news is, in my next 4x4 project I gave up on using tooltips on the map screen, which caused the accessibility problems, so there will be only one version of the game.

@Dark: Thanks for your comments, glad you liked the game! I agree it runs short on more difficult content once you get all the upgrades and lots of cash. I'm working on improving upon that in the next installment, adding many more enemy types and items, and more complex character progression with experience points and secondary skills.

2020-12-30 11:01:45

as far as i know, in iphone there is no way to play html version.

hi. i am a dark matter miner. yeah, i am setting mines that when something steps on it, it will explode and release huge amount of dark matters. oh sorry... i am a slave miner, i am mining dark matters...

2020-12-30 11:41:22

Okay, so I set up a new project on itch, with the screen reader version as the embedded file. Here's the link:

https://agat.itch.io/4x4-galaxy-screen- … RF7nI7j85I

This project is hidden when browsing itch, because I didn't want to list two projects which are basically the same game, so you have to use this link for access.

Hope this helps!

2020-12-30 12:05:39

wow.thanks, really thanks. and sorry for bothering you.

2020-12-30 12:09:35

@Necrozma: No problem at all, enjoy! smile

2020-12-30 13:17:57

@agat, Expanding the game with more skills and items would be cool.
Beware! spoiling spoilers incoming!

I was playing the trader with the charisma and trade skills, and got the piloting ability from the hermit with the hoverbike, however, though I did take out the pirate leader, I was having to go through med kits every round not having the combat ability. Indeed, in a previous game, my barbarian character wound up getting one shotted from 7 health to zero by the wrong enemy.

With my trader, I ended up paying the mercenary guild, which did feel a slight anti climax, though on the other hand I probably wouldn't have had the combat skills to take on the slavers myself.

It would have actually been nicer if I could've paid the mercs to assist me in combat more directly, like one mission I saw while playing the barbarian, where a knight assists you in combat against a beast.

So, more ground combat, or even ship combat options might be fun.

Not sure how possible this is, but it would also be helpful, now I've finished the game once, to be able to choose my objective or character, so I can try out the others, maybe even start with some small starter bonus as a game plus feature, though I don't know how doable this would be.

Either way, game is a lot of fun and I look forward to seeing more of it.

2020-12-30 13:29:05

@Dark: I think Agat was talking about the next project which isnt 4x4Galaxy.
I am definitely looking forward to whatever happens! And this time i will definitely support Agat with a little donation.
This job definitely deserves to be payed!

2020-12-30 17:41:52

Right, the improvements I mentioned are for my next project, 4x4 Archipelago. As for Galaxy: it's not as convenient as picking a class, but if you start a new game and get a combination you've already tried, you can just restart after the first screen for a new class and objective (I did that a lot myself when testing).

A spoilery hint concerning the fights:

If the enemies are too hard (especially when you don't have Combat/Piloting), but you have lots of credits, it's a good idea to stock up on energy grenades (on the black market) or torpedoes (at the shipyards). They are very expensive, but never miss and deal massive damage.

2020-12-30 20:04:48

I finished galaxies and its great. Looking forward to the next one.