2020-11-26 19:55:44

haily_merry wrote:

Ok so I finally, finally got the dam thing to run. I haven't actually tried playing the game yet, but it launches and the main menu shows, at least. May very well give it a run through tonight, it's been far, far too long.
A couple bugs for your attention though. Not sure if you can fix these, but.
Interestingly, the logos don't play when launching the game, it just goes straight to the main menu, although the outtro does play just fine. Also, when exiting the game, either wine or audiogame manager itself doesn't quite seem to realize that the game isn't running any more, the terminal has to be manually exited with Control + C. I did have to manually delete the config file to remove the game, as well.
Now that we know L works stuff will actually work, no pun intended, could you perhaps add judgement day to the list? Another rather excellent classic, if I do say so myself.
Thanks again for all of your hard work with this thing.

In some versions of wine the window does stay open like you said. This is something that happens on wine and it may go away when wine gets upgraded. Ubuntu tends to run a few versions behind. You could try upgrading to wine-staging and see if that fixes it.
Audiogame-manager itself is a terminal application. For the launcher part, it only calls the wine executable with proper parameters then exits. your terminal is left alone, and audiogame-manager doesn't do anything with it. It is possible to run audiogame-manager in a console. You do need to still have an X session, but the manager itself can run on pure console. So, if it were to try to exit the terminal, it would end up logging you out if it were ran from a console.
For the removal of games, see post above, I think gawk is the solution here.
I have tried on more than one occasion to add Judgement Day. It will not work. I don't know why. I have done everything I can think of, and it just won't work at all. I think wine must have something personal against Space Invaders type games, because I have tried adding several of them, and none of them work. This doesn't mean I have given up on them, but for now I am stuck.

My games: https://stormgames.wolfe.casa
Support my work on Ko-fi

2020-11-26 20:14:28

haily_merry wrote:

Ok so, trying to run swamp, and having even more issues. The game itself runs just fine, however the menu music is, interesting? It kind of, chops and does all kinds of strange things. I would share a recording, but am having some issues with pavucontrol at present. I haven't actually tried playing the game yet, but I'm guessing if the menu music fucks up that badly, the main game probably will too.
Also, when I exit, rather than, you know, exiting, it instead leaves this wine default desktop window around, which seems to go away upon hitting enter, but even then the terminal must be closed with Control + C.
Weird stuff.

Swamp's music needs to be disabled. It used to work, several versions back, but now it's choppy, like you describe. To turn it off, press backslash. If the game crashes when you disable the music, it may need to be turned off in the progress.ini file. To do so, open progress.ini in a plain text editor such as pluma or gedit and find the line that reads something like:
3.9B
Note that this is the version number of Swamp you are currently running. Go up one line, and it should contain the number 0. Change that 0 to 1. Do not change anything else. There are spaces around the number, and they must be left intact exactly as they are, or Swamp will freak out.
Probably what I should do is create a progress.ini that has music turned off by default and download that when it is installed. For that matter, i guess I could ship a key config with music keys and screen reader keys disabled. I may do that for the next upgrade. For now, though, if you want to make sure you don't accidently turn it back on, edit the key config file and unset the music toggle keys, and the screen reader key, (tab by default).

Support my work on Ko-fi

2020-11-26 20:37:53

I have indeed, but loking into it that's a huge project to make a Unity game work with speech-dispatcher. I'm waiting on a response from that dev..../but/ when I try running in Wine with SAPI installed, it always has a page fault and something bout winbind however

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2020-11-26 21:56:07

Hi,
Yup, installing gawk does indeed seem to have fixed it. Also I uh, kind of just realized I installed wine-devel? My bad, that would explain many, many things. You can actually make ubuntu run the current version of wine by adding it's repository manually, see the winehq ubuntu wikki, it seems to have far less bugs if you do so. I'll give staging a go now.

2020-11-27 00:13:52

Update, after multiple reinstalls of wine and all packages involved, am still having the issue with cutseens just flat out not playing in SL. I've redownloaded, too, before you ask.

2020-11-27 03:51:13

haily_merry wrote:

Update, after multiple reinstalls of wine and all packages involved, am still having the issue with cutseens just flat out not playing in SL. I've redownloaded, too, before you ask.

the only thing I can think of for that is maybe you are missing some gstreamer plugins. I do get some gstreamer complaints here, but everything works.

Support my work on Ko-fi

2020-11-27 03:56:29

JaceK wrote:

I have indeed, but loking into it that's a huge project to make a Unity game work with speech-dispatcher. I'm waiting on a response from that dev..../but/ when I try running in Wine with SAPI installed, it always has a page fault and something bout winbind however

I got it working. It is currently speaking with sapi5. I just copied the zip file to the stormgames server, so the download doesn't have to go through that stupid Google Drive hoop. It would be nice if the game was distributed from a real server, but I guess we can't have everything lol.
I have not yet managed to get it connected to the online server. Off line game play works just fine though. I haven't read any documentation, so possibly I am missing something, or maybe the online server is not up currently. wine isn't spewing forth errors regarding internet connection stuff, so at this point I am assuming it is user error. Anyway, barring any unforeseen difficulties, this should be available on the next update.

Support my work on Ko-fi

2020-11-27 12:34:35

Heard back from the dev, not possible for FS2 without screenreaders or TS engines. If you want to get in touch, Storm, go for it, you're likely more knowledgable than me on that

Warning: Grumpy post above
Also on Linux natively

2020-11-27 12:38:01

@57 yup ofishel sirver is down, you can go to the topic and into post 111 or something to get slj's sirver info, go to advanced than connect by IP and enter sirver and port if its not correct, than press connect

2020-11-27 12:45:56 (edited by haily_merry 2020-11-27 12:49:14)

Hello,
@storm, I've found a solution for the gstreamer issue. If on ubuntu, and probably debian as well, sudo apt install gstreamer1.0-plugins-good:i386 -y. There were a few other packages I installed while searching, but this was the 1 that finally got it to work, so there may be other dependencies. You do have to manually press enter after cutseens / the logo though, it can't seem to be able to detect that they're over.
Just a thought, but documentation for each individual game, which you may read before or after installation, if it is required, might not be a bad shout. I personally wouldn't mind contributing, and it seems that SL isn't the only game requiring somewhat hacky workarounds in order to work properly.

2020-11-28 02:51:38

I am working on a setup script for wine that will cover multiple distros. Hopefully that will cut down on some of the problems with missing plugins and other software.
Also, this script gives me the perfect excuse to start playing with the fossil software configuration management system. The first version of this should be ready to roll in a couple days. I did a quick check, and it looks like Fossil is available in most distros, including Ubuntu.

Support my work on Ko-fi

2020-11-28 15:36:40

Hi,
Some bugs I've noticed while playing swamp. For whatever reason, the select a voice option just literally does not appear in the main menu. I've checked to make sure the voice files are there, they are, so I have no idea why it isn't working. Also, if you press escape from within the game, or at least in multiplayer, the game completely crashes. No sound, nothing, you have to alt F4 out of it.

2020-11-29 03:21:41

It sounds like you are missing packages for swamp. Here is a list of what is required for Arch Linux. I'm not sure how this translates into Ubuntu, but maybe it will help:

lib32-sdl2 lib32-ncurses lib32-mpg123 lib32-libpulse lib32-libpng lib32-libjpeg-turbo lib32-gnutls lib32-alsa-plugins lib32-alsa-lib lib32-mesa lib32-openal wine winetricks wine_gecko wine-mono sdl2 ncurses mpg123 libpulse libpng libjpeg-turbo gnutls alsa-plugins alsa-lib mesa openal

Support my work on Ko-fi

2020-11-29 04:41:21 (edited by stormdragon2976 2020-11-29 04:56:18)

JaceK wrote:

Heard back from the dev, not possible for FS2 without screenreaders or TS engines. If you want to get in touch, Storm, go for it, you're likely more knowledgable than me on that

Fantasy Story II is in the update that has just been released. I have played and tested it over the last few days and it seems to work fine. If you have problems, you may need to change to the directory before launching it. This isn't necessary in all cases. In case it is, the path is:
~/.local/wine/fantasy-story-ii/drive_c/Program\ Files/FS2_2.2_Windows_x86/
Happy hack 'n' slashing! smile
Oh, I searched for a contact link and didn't find one. if you can reply to the email, just tell them that speech-dispatcher can be used for delivering information. If nothing else, do it the lazy way with a system call to spd-say -i volume -r rate -- "text"

Support my work on Ko-fi

2020-11-30 20:56:00

There is now a Mumble support room for audiogame-manager. To connect, go to the server:
mumble.stormux.org
The room for audiogame-manager is called, oddly enough, Audiogame manager. I spend most of my time on my personal server. So, if you specifically want to talk to me please contact me via pm and set up a time to meet. The server is available for general purpose discussion of audiogame-manager and other Stormux related topics, so feel free to use it as you see fit. Please, no drama though lol.

Support my work on Ko-fi

2020-12-01 09:58:59

Judgement Day will be available in the next release of audiogame-manager. People interested in installing it will need lib32 gstreamer plugins good, bad, and ugly packages.
Just a reminder, patrons have access to audiogame-manager source code and are able to play games from the testing branch as soon as they are added.
https://patreon.com/stormux
Special thanks to lilmike for getting this up and running.
https://michaels.world
Lilmike has a repository with pre-built lib32-gst-plugins packages for Arch Linux users. To add the repository to your system, edit /etc/pacman.conf and add the following three lines at the bottom:
[mtrepo]
SigLevel = Required
Server = https://michaels.world/mtrepo/
After adding the above three lines, run the following command to get the gstreamer packages:
sudo pacman -Syy
sudo pacman -S lib32-gst-plugins-{bad,good,ugly}

Support my work on Ko-fi

2020-12-01 12:02:45 (edited by Chris 2020-12-01 12:04:11)

This is really cool! I'll have to check this out once I install Ubuntu on one of my machines. I have a few questions.
Do you have plans to add this to Linux repositories? This would be nice since all you'd have to do to install it would involve running something like sudo apt install audiogame-manager and then run it directly from the terminal.
Have you added Perilous Hearts to the list of games? I know it's not complete, but it's such a cool game and it should run just fine under Wine. I used to run it in macOS this way.
Is it feasible to run this on ARM computers such as the Raspberry Pi? I doubt it, but just figured I'd ask.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2020-12-01 21:16:41 (edited by stormdragon2976 2020-12-01 22:12:22)

Chris wrote:

This is really cool! I'll have to check this out once I install Ubuntu on one of my machines. I have a few questions.
Do you have plans to add this to Linux repositories? This would be nice since all you'd have to do to install it would involve running something like sudo apt install audiogame-manager and then run it directly from the terminal.
Have you added Perilous Hearts to the list of games? I know it's not complete, but it's such a cool game and it should run just fine under Wine. I used to run it in macOS this way.
Is it feasible to run this on ARM computers such as the Raspberry Pi? I doubt it, but just figured I'd ask.

I hadn't really thought about adding it to any repositories, but that might be worth doing just to pull in all the dependancies that make wine work well with games. It is developed and tested on Arch Linux, and that is probably the only repository I would personally maintain. This means someone else would have to create Debian/Ubuntu packages. I would not feel comfortable trying to release packages I couldn't personally test, and it would be better to have someone who uses those distros on a daily base in charge of packages for them.
Also, after you have downloaded it and made it executable once, it will automaticaly check for updates and prompt you. That prevents having to go download and set it up after each new release.
I went ahead and added Perilous Hearts since you want it. I also added Palace Punch Up since it was the only Blastbay game not already added. Both games will be available in the next update. The next update is coming sooner than usual because a lot of people are contacting me privately and asking for it early lol. It will be up in just a few minutes.
Running this on a Pi is possible, but not yet achieved. It requires a x86 vm with wine installed, and would have to be extremely light weight so that games would have at least a small hope of running without terrible lag. We have been working on this for over a year now, but some bugs in the underlying infrastructure are preventing it from working at the moment. Once those are fixed, however, we will dive back in and see how it goes. There is a chance that when we do get it going that the Pi won't be able to handle it affectively enough to make the games playable at all. It will certainly require a Pi 4 to have any chance at success.

Support my work on Ko-fi

2020-12-02 07:04:01

Hi,
So I've installed gstreamer1.0-plugins-good:i386, gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad:i386 and gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly:i386. However, when I try running JD, I get no sound. Like, none at all. Interestingly, if I try running it directly via wine, I get an error about missing decoders for windows media audio 8, however I've found literally nothing online about how 1 might go about installing these packages. I was thinking perhaps an older version of gstreamer, but doesn't arch use 1.0?
Also, something I just thought of. How is the hole registration and configuration thing handled? As I recall, the game requires you to configure it before it will even work regardless.

2020-12-02 07:17:28

haily_merry wrote:

Hi,
So I've installed gstreamer1.0-plugins-good:i386, gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad:i386 and gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly:i386. However, when I try running JD, I get no sound. Like, none at all. Interestingly, if I try running it directly via wine, I get an error about missing decoders for windows media audio 8, however I've found literally nothing online about how 1 might go about installing these packages. I was thinking perhaps an older version of gstreamer, but doesn't arch use 1.0?
Also, something I just thought of. How is the hole registration and configuration thing handled? As I recall, the game requires you to configure it before it will even work regardless.

Try installing lib32-gst-libav it should be called something similar in Ubuntu hopefully.
Registration is no longer required because the game is abandon ware. You would have to enter your name, but audiogame-manager takes care of that for you because the entry box is not accessible. I am quite sure it does work, because I was just playing it before I responded to this. smile

Support my work on Ko-fi

2020-12-02 18:58:33

Hi,
So now if I try running it, I get some sort of error about unable to access address 0000 blah blah blah, starting debugger, and, nothing. I also have a nice little program error window, which I'm guessing is generated by judgment day itself.

2020-12-03 15:23:37

Beep, just bumping this back up again. Any advice you can give here?
Oh and also, think you could add STW to the games? It's BGT so should work just fine, only the installer is inaccessible, just an innosetup thing.

2020-12-04 01:37:12

As promised, I have started work on the multisystem configuration tool. it is taking me a bit to get familiar with Fossil, but things are moving along. To access the project, visit:
https://fossil.wolfe.casa/install-audiogame-manager
Honestly there's not all that much to see yet. Eventually, however, I would like to have the automated tool, install-audiogame-manager.sh, as well as a complete wiki for each distribution we support. Hopefully there is more coming soon.
If you would like to be added to the project as either a coder or wiki editor let me know.

Support my work on Ko-fi

2020-12-04 01:39:12 (edited by stormdragon2976 2020-12-04 10:35:57)

haily_merry wrote:

Beep, just bumping this back up again. Any advice you can give here?
Oh and also, think you could add STW to the games? It's BGT so should work just fine, only the installer is inaccessible, just an innosetup thing.

It sounds like you may be missing a package. As to which one, I can't really say. Maybe take a look at the fossil page for install-audiogame-manager and see if you have the ubuntu equivalent of everything listed there:
https://fossil.wolfe.casa/install-audiogame-manager

Survive the Wild is now in testing. It was much more than silent install. In fact, the installer is kind of broken and will hang with silent install because it can't find some of the files it thinks it should have. The best solution for now was to compress it and make it available as a .tar.xz file.
Anyway, it will be available in the next release.

Support my work on Ko-fi

2020-12-05 02:11:55 (edited by Chris 2020-12-05 04:09:44)

I'm trying this on a Linux Mint VM right now. This is really cool! I can't figure out how to install gecko and it looks like it's complaining that mono isn't available even though I did sudo apt install mono-complete and sudo apt install mono-devel. Most games I've tried thus far work just fine.

Is it feasible to get Entombed to run in Wine? If you're going to add it, please use this version. http://blind-games.com/newentombed/EntombedSetup.exe

Please add Shades of Doom 1.2 to the list. I prefer this version.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.