2020-11-01 18:35:39 (edited by Nocturnus 2020-11-02 15:15:25)

Please read from beginning to end if you have the time, and do your best to remember if you can.  It is my hope that you'll find something to cling to within these posts that will show you there are ways forward, even when you don't see them, and that this community can help you, even when it doesn't seem like it will or should.  I've been hear for the better part of 10 years now, and I don't regret the time I've invested into this community or its members.  The posts I've created and topics I've helped to address, however, are nothing in comparison to how this community has helped me.
You know those situations where something happens to you and you need help and you don't really want to ask for it because you're afraid everyone's going to fault you for the situation while you beat yourself up about it because you're trying to figure out how you could have prevented the situation?  Yes?  No?  Maybe so?  If the answer is no, then I genuinely hope this never happens to you.  If the answer is yes, then I hope you can help me, but understand that you may not be able to.  If the answer is Maybe?  I bet you're the kind of person who can put yourself in my shoes, and at least try to feel my pain.
Short story but none the less true: this last month has been hard.  My wife came down with a severe bladder infection around the second week of October.  The antibiotic she was prescribed made it worse as she wasn't able to keep anything down.  Taking care of her of her until she was able to get back on her own two feet (and yes, I mean that literally,) required nearly two weeks of around the clock effort on my end.  I still had to take care of four children as well, three of which are now, thankfully, going to school.  That effort took its tole on me.  I came down with a cold, felt as down in the dumps as I ever have, lost my voice, still trying to recover it, worked myself into days of fatigue and I'm not sure just how much sleep debt I've accumulated.
So what's the bind, you ask?  All of it.  There were days during the last month when I honestly just didn't feel like doing a single stinking thing, not even cooking.  Meals were ordered... I didn't see it as an issue at the time honestly, and it wouldn't have been, if my rent and electric bills hadn't gone up in price.  I'm still trying to figure out the rent thing; the electric I attribute to a couple of things, the biggest being that the month of September really was a hot one here in my neck of the woods.  Now, I need $200 to break even, just to keep myself afloat and not overdraft, which I want to avoid doing as that'll keep me in a vicious cycle of late fees and which getting out of will be ever so much more difficult.
We can argue whether this community is full of negativity.  We can go back and forth about how we all spend a ton of time tearing each other down.  I know, however, that when it comes to helping out its members, this community does it better than any other I have ever been a part of, which is why after agonizing over this ugly and rather stupid post for the past two days I've come down to what I'm writing right now and am writing it with fragile strings of hope.  You know that cliche about how every penny counts?  It's true with me and my family right now.  I don't expect any one person to take the full burden... I don't expect any one person to smash this problem to bits and put it to rest, and I certainly don't expect any one person to do it without me lifting a finger.  As it stands I'm looking into energy efficiency programs that'll help deal with the issue in future by lowering the cost/helping to pay for the electric and thereby cover the cost, and any other form of financial assistance I can somehow manage to apply for.
But the issue right now is that payments need to be made yesterday and I can't cover them all without doing more than going broke.  It's not like I feel justified in asking this community for assistance because of all of the hours I've put into helping across hundreds of posts or anything like that... I don't.  I hate it!  I don't want to hit send!  I want to put together some sort of musical project and hope like the greatest optimist that such a thing would pay my way!
But such a thing is far from garunteed success, and I don't know how long it would take to put it together in a way that would cover what I need right now, so if there's anything you can afford to give I can honestly say I'd apreciate it more than words will tell.  I've tentatively asked my parents, but they're in a worse situation than mine.  They themselves just had to borrow money to cover for a surgical procedure my mother needed done to deal with breast cancer.  I'm fully aware that this Covid chrisis is making it hard on all of us, but in a desperate atempt to stay as truthful and honest as I can while doing my best to be a beneficial member of society in any semblance... I'm bowing down to the cold, hard reality that is life right now and just uttering that word I try not to say if I don't have to... Help?
If you feel you can donate anything, anything at all, please do so via paypal to [email protected] and I'll gladly thank you a thousand times. I'm going to conclude this post by simply saying again that if you cannot I won't hold it against you, but if you have read thus far, that I thank you for reading all the same.  It's times like these when I hate money; it's inescapable grip on society has made me suffer more times than I care to admit.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-11-01 18:59:35

Well....
I havnet been in a situation like this, but I still get what it must be like.
I Can not donate as I am a kid, but I wish you good luck all the same smile.

My main interest is tech.
Follow me on twitter if you would like, my username is @stealthy153

2020-11-01 19:01:11

Sent what I could, Nocturnis. It's not a lot, but hopefully others can step up and help a little bit.

Everyone's in a tough spot right now - or rather, most of us are - and sometimes we make less-than-optimal choices. I'm not here to judge, and I won't stand by and let anyone else do it either, so no worries about that.
I really hope you manage to get enough together to cover your costs.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-11-01 19:11:50

It take currage to ask for help, I  think from what you said that this was the hardest part, not just the finanshial  problems. But asking for help sometimes can be harder then anything. I admire that to a person, you clearly see when you need it and when you don't. It's not for any post count as you said, it is for you alone. We suport you. I for one do.

---
"A good ruler gives the goblet to his servants. He never drinks from it himself. The servants need his glory. He does not cary the flame alone.
For a spark does not lit the flame, but the spirit holds it in place. Forgeting that leads one to destruction.
(Enhemodius before the Altar of the Broken)"

2020-11-01 19:22:42

I don't have much, but I will send what ever I can and I hope that you get better, I know how it feels to have a very rough month and I hope others ccan help.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2020-11-01 19:45:01 (edited by Dark 2020-11-01 19:48:19)

Some of these things I can appreciate from personal experience, EG when one's significant other is ill and one feels a general sense of crapathy, (which is a really cromulant word).

other things, particularly pertaining to  child related woes, I'm lucky enough not to experience myself.

So really hope things get better, though in fairness, "really hoping things get better", is pretty much our default state on everything at the moment.

Oh, and as someone who has an almost pathological dislike of asking for help, which rather ironically is exacerbated at the moment due to my own general sense of crapathy, admitting a problem, and asking for what assistance might be possible in so honest and forthright a way as you have is something which I actually admire.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2020-11-01 20:24:33

Thank you all so very much!  It's been only two or so hours since I posted on here, and I've already managed almost a hundred dollars from your generous donations.  Would you believe I actually had one person tell me I shouldn't bother because no one on this forum would be willing to step up to the plate?  Yeah, on top of already feeling ashamed of making this topic to begin with, I had people telling me I shouldn't even post.  Besides feeling thankful that I've managed thus far because of you, I'm also glad to be able to prove them wrong!
Need about a hundred more if I can get it, otherwise I think I'll try and see if I can find someone who buys used/broken laptops or something of that nature... I have an HP probook who's only real issue is actually a useless battery and a weird issue with the soundcard, where it would rather have earphones/speakers connected to it for some reason or another... I don't know why.  I'm seriously working on this stuff though... I see advertisements for things like covid research testing, where you basically go and get jabbed with a needle to test vaccines and the like and get paid to do it.  NO what the problem is?  You risk dying!  That's a warning I saw along with the advert!  I don't mind trying, but dying is not exactly on my todo list at the moment as I do have four children to take care of, which I imagine dying would make a bit hard to do?  I'm just guessing though... I wouldn't know... I have never died.
My immediate reaction when reading that advert though was a resounding "Yeah, I'll do it!"  My wife thought I'd gone mad!  I told her I'd do it and my les than logical reasoning was that "I'm healthier than you are at present, so the risk is less for me than for you."  I think my overall thinking was kind of along the lines of, well, as screwy as the situation is at present, things really can't get any worse than dying, so live and let live?  Yeah, that's where I am right now.  I'm not even sure if I'm making any sense...  I'm just trying to hold it together one breath at a time and keep my cool in the process.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2020-11-01 21:21:29

Done.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-11-01 21:51:12 (edited by dardar 2020-11-01 21:52:54)

Also done. Hope it helps.
Edit: Actually read the second part of post 7 rather than skim reading it like I did before as by that point I was set on helping anyway and I would just like to say I'm with your wife on this one.
So even more now I really hope it helps smile

Nathan Smith
Managing Director of Nathan Tech
It's not disability
It's ability!

2020-11-01 21:57:37 (edited by Jim 2020-11-01 21:58:37)

Nocturnus, , I know we’ve never really talked privately, but seriously dude if you ever need someone to just reach out to in chat I’m here for you. I know you probably hear the same bullshit over and over, that everyone’s here for you or is praying for you. But I know what it’s like to go through Really tough situations and the feeling of needing to reach out. Even if you just wanna vent and get shit off your mind I’m here for you. Use the email link at the bottom of my post if you ever wanna just reach out and get some shit off your mind

Is this the real life?
Or is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality

2020-11-01 23:14:33

I've never had that happen but it sounds horrible.  I certainly hope you can turn this thing around.

2020-11-01 23:27:45

I got mad respect for you, Nocturnus. You are a true fighter. Your kids and your wife are lucky to have you.
I wish I could donate but sadly I don’t have paypal. I am sorry.

I used to be an aventurer like you. Then I took a knee in the arrow.

2020-11-02 01:25:20

It takes massive balls to come on here and lay aside your pride for the betterment of your children. My already insanely high respect for you at least just tripled

Is this the real life?
Or is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide,
No escape from reality

2020-11-02 01:49:08

Hey, I am having trouble with the payPal cash setup, and I don't feel like linking it to any of my other banking details but I still want to help you. If you have an apple ID and can accept apple cash I would love to  pay you that way instead.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2020-11-02 15:12:12

I have a lot to say to everyone here, but first, @keyIsFull, 14, I do believe the [email protected] account is set up as such with Apple.  Before you attempt to find out, however...
I just want to thank everyone who contributed and say that my goal has been achieved; indeed my goal has been surpassed.  Not only did I manage to break even, but by almost a hundred dollars added a bit of cushion which I can genuinely say was not entirely my intention but something I am more than thankful for, but which I believe our current dictionaries do not necessarily have a word I can utilize to describe said feeling?  Well, thanks will have to do.  I slept well last night, which is a far cry from what I have been doing.  I hope that will help convey my sentiment a little more accurately.
So yes, this tale has a happy ending, a happy ending you all have helped me achieve as a community.  That, is the point I want to focus on in conclusion.  It is clear by this meaningful and generous contribution to one of the least of your members that your community is still functioning, whatever anyone else may say about it.  AG Net is not dead.  It may be kicking viciously to stay alive, screaming and pulling teeth in an attempt to protect itself and preserve its integrity, but it is still awake in spirit and collectively a force, as anyone who is reading this post can clearly see.
Why do I believe this is worth mentioning?  Because I want this to serve as a reminder that every single one of you has made a difference and can continue to do so.  When next you see a topic where you might disagree with someone, when next you read a post that seems to set you off, when next you chance upon a bit of writing that does not necessarily resonate with your own thoughts and opinions, might I, in all humility and with all respect to each and every one of you, ask that you regard the person responsible for that content the way you did me?  You could have easily judged me and said I was just making this up for some shady reason; you did not.  You could have told me to take a hike; you did not.  You could have legitimately told me that the rest of the world is experiencing difficulties and some worse than my own, and you would have been right in saying so.  You did not.
And I apreciate all of these things.  I appreciate that there is a topic with my name in the very first post, as personally humiliating as the experience may have been for me in writing it, that did not derail into name calling or insults, into negativity and counterproductive, vapid, useless and harmful discourse.  Again, I ask you all of these things not because I feel justified to ask... I don't.  I ask all of these things of you as a simple request because I believe in you, and if you believe anything I've stated thus far, you should also believe in yourselves, in the ability to help, in the ability to bring about a change in someone else's life when things seem like they're spinning out of control.  It's true that overdrafting wouldn't have been the worst thing that could have happened to me this month.  It's true that I might yet have found another way to turn this thing around without seeking you all out.  It's true that if you had all said no I would have been left on my own to fend for myself and my family to keep on trying to figure it out because I would have had no choice.
But that's not how it happened.  In hope, I came here.  You stepped in.  You came through.  You committed yourselves as a collective body to assist someone you trusted enough to need it and who you believed would appreciate the gesture... I do, and it is that apreciation that makes me want to pass that glowing warmth onto someone else if I can.  I want you to remember that you were a part of the solution.  I've seen how crazy things can get when you're taxed by late fees, overdraft fees and disasters.  I've had to ride out hurricanes, fires, floods and other unfortunate incidents.  I've been cheated out of things, been lied to priar to signing things, been forced to concede to others who are doing wrong even when I'm doing my best to be right.  I'm here today to thank you all for helping me, and to hopefully motivate you to continue doing what you've done so that someone else may benefit as well.  Do it in words; do it in actions.  Do it by day or by night.  Do it because you are able, but do it because it's the right thing to do, even if you don't always see the result you'd like.

2020-11-02 15:19:06

@nocturnus i’m sorry I didn’t donate. I was unable to see this topic on time but trust me I’ll do my best if this comes up again

2020-11-02 15:26:05 (edited by defender 2020-11-02 15:27:43)

Missed my chance, but it's okay, it will just go to someone else who needs it still.

I hope you and your wife keep punching life in the dick when ever possible Nocturnus.

And high fives to everyone who donated or wanted to donate but couldn't, for keeping this community positive despite it all.

2020-11-02 16:01:29

I am glad you reached your goal. You deserve it. You are a good guy, Nocturnus.

I used to be an aventurer like you. Then I took a knee in the arrow.

2020-11-02 16:32:44

As I said, I'm not here to judge, particularly not for stuff like this. Capitalism sucks, so I'll judge capitalism instead. lol

I had a chat a few years ago with a family member. I was railing against something or other on facebook, and they basically said, "okay, that's cool and all, but what are you actually doing in the world?". Three years later, I'm a social service worker looking for work. I don't have much money at all right now, but I had enough to toss you a bit. I'm willing to give freely of my time and experience to help this community and others. I don't do it for the power or the accolades. I do it because it's the right thing to do, and because I truly feel I can make a difference. Nocturnis, your post resonated with me because that mentality is precisely why I'm here. I'm trying to affect meaningful change, and to help others do the same. Even when I get angry, even when I call out things I find abhorrent, I'm still here for the right reasons, trying to act properly to both embody and inspire positive change. Do I do it? Hell, I don't know, but I try.

If you ever need to talk or need some other sort of help, please don't hesitate to reach out. Seriously, we (as a society I mean) have gotten to a point where we demonize ourselves for needing aid, and I think that's sad as hell. Sometimes we screw up. Sometimes we make decisions that make sense at the time and then turn out to be problematic later. And sometimes, life is just awful, and there's no way to predict or control what has happened. All this shame about asking for help is something I wish people - self included, believe me - could rid ourselves of. So by all means, continue being you. Continue being vulnerable. I suspect that honesty means more than perfection. When you get down to it, the best people I've ever known will value an honest plea for help far more than the appearance of blamelessness or the illusion of uninterrupted progress. Put another way, I don't think good people make a habit out of blaming people in positions like yours, and I don't think someone who does do such a thing is really all that good a person. If this thread is any indication, most of the people here are good folks who have the right idea about the things that truly matter. If they (or we, if you like) sometimes squabble about our differences or hold fast to ideas, if we sometimes tear one another's ideas down, we also rally around those who truly need help when it counts.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-11-02 16:40:53

Count me in as someone else who would have donated had I seen the topic on time. Hope everything else works out well for you, man. And as always, you know where to find me should you ever want to talk, trust me, I have far too much time on my hands at present.

2020-11-03 08:47:11

I have been in a similar position as you back in early 2017. Most of it involved food security issues and access to reliable transportation. I got out credit cards to survive and also entered a vicious circle of what I had was obliged to pay each month. Fortunately, I continued looking for things to sell and pawn, and I accumulated enough funds to get out of debt quickly.
I'm currently working and can afford to donate a small amount if you still need it! smile

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2020-11-03 15:21:20 (edited by Nocturnus 2020-11-03 15:23:22)

So, people have managed to keep this topic open and are asking if I still need help.  To be perfectly honest?  In all reality, the answer is no.  At this point, anything else I would get, were I to get it, would simply allow me to live a little more comfortably than I am right now.  I added a bit of cushion thanks to what I got from this topic and paid off everything I had to pay off.  No, I won't have any extra left over for the end of the month, and I'm still struggling to figure out what on earth I'm going to get my kids for Christmas, or how I'll even manage that, but the worst is over.  Our bills are paid, our home is secure and we have food on the table.
On the other hand, if you are genuinely serious I wouldn't say no because (and I realize this is going to come off sounding like I'm just contradicting myself which I'm trying not to,) while I'm submiting applications for jobs and taking certification exams in various fields from MS office to assistive tech instructor yada yada yada, finding jobs has not exactly ever been my strongpoint.  I managed to get by on my musical abilities throughout most of my life and touched a bit on audio production and sound design, but I fear my hearing loss is going to force me to step back from those fields as the days go by...  I just have to accept that as yet another cold and hard reality life has dealt me.  I don't know where this road goes, but I'm walking it because turning back is not an option, and giving up and lying in the middle of it is far from who I am.

2020-11-03 15:43:57

Best of luck

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2020-11-03 15:44:57 (edited by defender 2020-11-03 15:51:03)

@nocturnus
Many local charities offer free Christmas hampers, where you give them an idea of what you want and they try to get it for you.  You will almost certainly not end up with exactly what you asked for but it's usually close, and good kids don't really care beyond the initial confusion anyway especially if you can spin it positively.  The joy of opening a gift from someone who cares will still be there and IMO that's what matters.
I mean a nice new quilt or coat, or a cool toy that isn't exactly what they asked for is something they are going to be thankful for even if in their own way again and again.  And this is coming from someone who has gotten them 3 or 4 times over the years.
You will need to get on this ASAP though because they have limited supplies and deadlines for registration.

Also, even if they can't do it for what ever reason, I'm sure your church would be happy to help you out.  Though I am not religious, the community aspect of the church is one of the things I've always admired and appreciated, and I would be extremely surprised if they would not be happy to assist you.  I'm sure in the opposite place, you would take it as a welcome opportunity to spread the love to your fellow man that Jesus so often talks about.
Keep in mind as well that food pantries will often offer a special Christmas box for the Holidays, so you can have a nice dinner and even some candy for the kids if you'd like.  Christmas is the time of giving and organizations like this gear up for months before in preparation for this.

Thanks to our social conditioning (the sin of pride), it can feel bad to make use of these programs, but realistically if they help you get back on your feet now, and a few years down the road you can make donations to them in return, all you are really doing is taking out a freely given loan of compassion, something which is again perfectly in line with the teachings of Jesus Christ, who I respect as a person and appreciate as a continuing positive force within society regardless of my personal beliefs.

2020-11-03 17:39:49

@defender, true enough, and all things I have considered and will certainly look into.  I'm not in the general habit of giving exceptionally expensive gifts to my children anyway, as most toys I give them I know will more than likely end up with their battery tops gone within a few days and or stuck in a basket until said batteries are dead.  I think the boxes receive more attention, as does the bubblewrap.