2011-06-23 03:41:47

Hello all,
Does anyone know if android is accessible?
I'm thinking of getting an android phone, an I don't want to spend money on a phone that I can't use.

2011-06-25 10:28:03

I know there were some efforts but I don't know how far they got. Maybe a google search would help?

I know the iPhone definitely is accessible but that's more expensive, plus in many countries it's locked to certain networks which is rather awkward to say the least.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-06-25 20:20:35

There are many informative podcasts about phone accessibility over at
http://www.blindcooltech.com
and it seems that, according to at least a few users over there, Android phones are fairly accessible. They also have something of an advantage to an IPhone in that they're not all the same...some have touch-screens, some have keypads. Also, I believe the apps they have are more wide-ranged overall, and many are free where on the IPhone they aren't. This is by no means universally true, but is what I've found in my own hunt for an accessible cell phone.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2011-06-25 22:16:10

Hi all,
My dad got a sony ericson xPeria x10 phone from someone as a gift. He said, however, that I can use it if I'd like. The question is, can I use it? I have a week to find out if I like it and if I can use it before he returns to Sweden.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2011-06-25 23:10:39

depends. Is it a tutch screne. It won't have a screne reader I don't think but I have a soniericson and am fully blind and i just memorise the key places. Luckily, I don't need sighted help using it smile. If it is a tutch screne however, this may not work.
HTH,
Best regards,
Lauren

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2011-06-26 00:44:51

Well, it does have a bunch of keys on it, 3 on the bottom, one on the top next to the ports, and a few on the side. I'm not sure if it has a trackpad.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2011-06-26 11:23:33

hmmm. You could try asking a sighted person what which keys do and then memorising them. I'll have a look on the internet at that phone. It might give some information.I very much doubt it but i'll check anyway.
Sorry I couldn't be more help.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. -Abraham Lincoln

2011-06-26 17:37:06

Jade:
There are a lot of free apps on the Apple app store for the iPhone as a matter of fact, and a lot of the ones that aren't are only $2-3. They're also very varied. Of course it depends what you want apps to achieve because you can do a heck of a lot with the built in stuff.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2011-06-26 20:29:07

hi all!
i've messed about with both talkback, and mohile accessibility, two screenreaders for android, and can safely say they're accessible!
You have to get the right phone, and by listening to some of the podcasts on blindcooltech by mike origo, you'll find one, they include.
the google nexcass 1.
htc evo shift
motorola milestone 2, and the  motorola cliq, to name but a fiew.
hope this helps!