2020-10-02 09:15:49

Donald trump himself has been tested Corona Positive but I condem the Chinese tweets we shouldn't celebrate when anyone is sick

want peace to be there everywhere around the world also I want an immediate sollution to be given for this war so that the bloodshed could be ended. live peacefully, let others also live peacefully

2020-10-02 10:43:59

@220
Who told him to keep saying that it was the Chinese virus or even the Chinese plague?

2020-10-02 12:39:48

Again, I disagree that calling it the China virus is racist. You're not saying the chinese virus, you are saying the china virus. You are not saying, all chinese people have corona. If covid19 came from the Philippines, I would be fine people calling it the Philippine virus. There's nothing racist in it because you are not saying all Filipinos have covid. BTW this is response to the previews post.

If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2020-10-02 13:34:10

Yeah I don't think that's racist either, that's like saying  spanish flu is racist. Oh and before you give me its  a different time, with that logic it should be OK to still use the N word since it was a different tim. However I agree context is everything.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-10-02 13:41:57

Maybe we should move this discussion to the politics topic.

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2020-10-02 16:18:39

@1056. Yeah but this is about covid so...

To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2020-10-02 16:47:50

I wish The president of US a speady recovery

want peace to be there everywhere around the world also I want an immediate sollution to be given for this war so that the bloodshed could be ended. live peacefully, let others also live peacefully

2020-10-02 16:48:08

Okay, so here's why calling it the China virus or China plague is racist. And to be clear, it's not enormously so.

It targets the country of origin for no good reason. This may be accurate, but it sets a bad precedent. The so-called Spanish flu was thus named in large part because Spain reputedly had a bad time with it. In the case of Covid-19, the virus did originate in China, but its greatest effects have actually been felt elsewhere. Would you want it to be called the America plague, or the Trump plague, or something else, because the United States bungled the shit out of its pandemic response? I thought not. That wouldn't really be fair, or helpful.
And that's my next point. We have names for this virus which are not racially or geographically motivated. Covid-19, the coronavirus (though that's less descriptive) and even SARS CoV2. There is no good reason not to use one of these neutral names, and plenty of reason to avoid the China virus or China plague epithets. Ever notice how most of the people who use those particular terms, by the way, have some sort of beef with China?
Yeah, that's my next point. When you call it the China virus or China plague, your average citizen is going to become wary of anything Chinese. Why else do you think Asian-American businesses suffered during the early stages of the pandemic, and Asian-Americans were unreasonably targeted? Folks have been primed to focus on where this virus came from, and who's there, and what they may or may not have done to release this virus into the world (remember, we're like seven months in and we still have no definitive proof it was man-made or released on purpose). Basically, language like this encourages snap judgments and other forms of racism. It's a catalyst.

So is it horribly, awfully racist to call it the China virus? No, not really. But it's a spark, and it should be well demonstrated by now that just using neutral language helps everyone and hurts no one. We should not be emulating the nomenclature from a hundred years ago; we should be improving on it. Instead of saying "nothing was wrong with Spanish flu, so nothing is wrong with China virus", we should flip that narrative. "Spanish flu wasn't a particularly nice way to refer to it, and this can affect everyone, so let's find a term that doesn't stack the deck against a particular race, area or nationality".

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2020-10-02 18:17:59

If it started in America I would have no problem if it got called the America virus.  Simple logic.

2020-10-03 13:26:08 (edited by aryamansingh 2020-10-03 13:27:19)

we will still be calling it Chinese virus because china hid the truth from the world about the virus and it did stop the tour domestically but it allowed international tour so why can't it be called a Chinese virus?

2020-10-03 13:53:11

Oh for pete's sake. Am I really arguing this in 2020?

Here's your challenge:
Give me one good, solid reason why we shouldn't just refer to it as Covid-19, or the coronavirus, or as Sars CoV2.

Don't give me a reason why it -should be called the China virus. We've already established that this sort of thing can hurt people. Can you give me a good reason why calling it by a neutral name hurts people or causes problems?
Because if you can't do that - and I'm 99.9% sure you can't - then that's what you go with. Y'know, the option that -doesn't prime folks to be even more naturally racist or xenophobic than they already are? The option that doesn't have any baggage attached?
I happen to know a few people who, while living in Canada no less, were harassed because they appear Chinese (two of the three were born and raised here, one came here when she was young). To me, this just proves that if you give people a spark, they'll light a fire with it. "China virus" and "china plague" are just such a spark, and since people have proven that they can be assholes for no good reason, as far as I'm concerned the burden of proof is on you to demonstrate why using neutral language and nomenclature is a bad thing beyond this point.

2020-10-03 13:55:29

No one has to be politically correct anyway. if someone wants to call it bat virus China virus what ever the heck virus it's just their preference.

China an authoritarian cummunist regime hid the facts and their government has it's own part. However i believe it's a fabricated virus though no matter what media said about it.

2020-10-03 14:20:53

You're entitled to believe anything you want. The virus was deliberately manufactured and released. The moon is made of marshmallows. The earth is flat. Pick your poison. But that doesn't mean your opinion is valid just because it exists. Please remember that.

The only part where we agree is that early on, the CCP definitely did some pretty serious covering up. They did it for two reasons. First, they seem to hate taking responsibility for things, favouring their own spin wherever possible. History bears this out, and it's not a good thing. However, their other reason is actually semi-valid. They know damn well that quite apart from their own history, people hear the word "communist" and automatically assume the very, very worst. It's a dirty word in most mouths, and since China and communism are tied together now, they wanted to minimize the racial backlash they knew their country would inevitably face if they just admitted the facts.
That said, most countries try to save face when they fuck up. Donald Trump has put on a clinic of precisely this sort for most of his presidency, but especially for the last nine months or so. Lying and covering up are not the sole purview of China, or communists at large. Almost everyone does it when they get egg on their face. It's a bad thing, I agree, but it's common as hell, so let's keep this in some sort of perspective, shall we?
If you can tell me with a straight face that you think America would've owned it if it had accidentally created, released or even just been the origin of Covid-19, I'll tell you two things. First of all, you're wrong. Second of all, you're either horribly naïve, frighteningly pro-American, or both.

2020-10-03 17:25:39

I am not ashamed to be pro America.  Do we have our flaws?  You bet your ass we do!  However, any citizen of any country should support there country and that should not be shamed.  I believe if the virus started in this country the media would try to lie and say it started somewhere else but most of us would own up to it.  Joe Biden would have done so and even Donald Trump would have no choice.

2020-10-03 19:14:10

Given that we generally name stuff like this after the areas they originated from, (Ebola, MERS West Nile virus etc.) then it would be the Wuhan coronavirus.
This neatly gets rid of the thing where some people want to say Coh-vid, while others want to say Caw-vid. Some people will even use both pronunciations  in the same damn sentence.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2020-10-03 19:20:58

Calling it the Wuhan Coronavirus is acceptable to me, while calling it the China Virus or the China Plague is not. Kung-flu certainly isn't... there's a difference between geographical labelling and placing the blame on an entire country for a virus that emerged from a single city.Whatever people may say to justify it, as an Canadian-born Asian, it's racist no mater how you cut it. I wouldn't feel any better about something being labelled the Canada virus or the America virus.

Discord: clemchowder633

2020-10-03 19:55:59 (edited by George_Gaylord 2020-10-03 19:58:56)

I've seen  people , mostly rural less   educated people call it covit. As in, Chevy Corvette without the r. And the one person I've seen calling it, "China", like, plain China is an all round asshole in general so yeah. As I said earlier intent is everything.  If someone says, the chinese corona, or Wuan in casual conversation is meh, but if someone says, fuckk those chinese for spreading around their Kung Flu, yeah. that's unacceptable.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2020-10-04 04:17:53

Agreed with JayJay here.

2020-10-04 04:45:48

Again though: give me a good reason why we cannot/should not use geographically neutral language to identify a pandemic which, at this point, affects us all. None of you have even attempted this yet.

2020-10-04 04:54:45 (edited by KenshiraTheTrinity 2020-10-04 04:57:06)

Have to side with Jayde on this one, and assault has the right of it too. Here in USA, we have a meltimg pot of peoples and nationalities, so when you call it the China virus, people who hear it, the next time they see an asian will wonder if they just happen to be from China and become defensive, and trust me there are a lot of asians around here.

On a related note, china definitely got problems, but so does everywhere else. We shouldn't be trying to pick the speck out of others eyes without taking care of the plank in our own first. Finally, as an American, I think its ok to be pro America, even in light of the stupid stuff she's done, because America is my home, just as my parents are my parents, and as surely as bad things have come from both, there has been some good as well.

2020-10-04 08:55:54

@1062. Its a preference for people. I like calling it covid19, but some people may want to call it China virus. I'm not going to call them out on that.

2020-10-04 09:38:11

Well, what if I preferred to call people of colour the n word? Shouldn't I be allowed to do that?
Note: I absolutely do -NOT want to call people the n-word. I'm using it for the sake of explanation here.
Just because you prefer to call someone or something by a term that might cause trouble, that doesn't mean it's fair game.
Frankly, if I have a choice between two terms, one of them is completely without bias or prejudice or anything loaded while the other could (not will, but could) cause trouble, you know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna default to the one that has a 0% chance of causing harm. And you know what else I'm gonna do? I'm gonna flag anyone who doesn't do likewise as someone who's okay with racial microaggressions. Because that's exactly what you're saying. You want the freedom to just use an iffy term because hey, it shouldn't bother anyone, and everybody knows the virus came out of China so what's the big deal, right? No, my dude, that's not how this works. As I've already demonstrated, terms like "china virus" and "china plague" and "kung flu" can cause folks to become even bigger racists than they already are by default. I've seen it. You've probably seen it. Any defense of this nomenclature is just enabling those idiots who are actually bonna fide racists to spread their xenophobia even further. There is a harmless, bias-less, accurate alternative. Use it, for heaven's sake. Just use it. Stop living in 1918.

2020-10-04 15:47:12

@Jayde. That's a different scenario though. China virus is not proven to be racist. The term is not racist, it's just that most people who use it have a racist intent.

2020-10-04 16:10:58

Thus, making it problematic.

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2020-10-04 18:05:58

I personally do not use that term, nor do I know anyone who uses it in normal conversation, but I see nothing wrong with it as it came from China.