2011-06-02 11:24:32 (edited by CAE_Jones 2011-06-02 15:21:07)

How would one go about creating custom TTS voices?
I've looked into this in the past, and encountered a few programs, but they were extremely confusing and I had no idea what to do.

What I'm wanting to do would probably not result in particularly great quality, but I want to give it a try, at least.

Festival seems the most promising, but it's so complicated to just set it up--I'm not even talking about the voice-creation part yet... yikes

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-06-02 16:22:19

I'm not actually sure, though seerprock  have certainly got such software on their site and have made some pretty amazing voices, including george bush and Arny.

I'm not sure if you specify the voice and they create it, or if you can use their software, but you can find them on http://www.cereproc.com/home and have a look.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-06-02 16:56:51 (edited by CAE_Jones 2011-06-03 13:55:21)

Looks interesting, and less of a corporate hastle than Cepstral would be, based on my asking them about it.
I'm actually trying to work off of audio cassettes as well as higher quality recordings (not for the same voice, of course!), so the quality would be pretty poor from the get-go. I'm willing to stand that, but so far companies offering voice creation sound extremely reluctant to accept low-quality stuff (Cereproc's FAQ makes me think it has to do with how those would reflect on the company). And considering the inevitable low quality, the prices involved with getting pros to do it is pretty frightening, to say the least.

Cereproc's system looks like the best for what I want to do (assuming sound quality and cost weren't an issue).
On the other hand, Festival is free--but trying to install it makes my head continually melt and solidify. T.T

[edit] Ick. I finally got Festival to work (I managed to track down a windows version that someone else had somehow managed to compile). Now if I could just figure out how to get from there to making a voice with festvox. lol [/edit]

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-06-05 17:56:51

You know, I once had to use putty to emulate Linux for C-related assignments. That's where my academic career in computer science ended. lol

What I find most annoying about festvox is that it's designed specifically for people that are extremely familiar with Linux. As in, people that develop on Linux. I see absolutely no reason to convert to Linuxism just so I can create voices.

But I went ahead and downloaded and installed cygwin as part of my attempt to compile festvox. And I'm right back to being stuck. I have no idea how to put the c / c++ compilers / gnu make where cygwin can use them, or if I need to move the packages for festival / festvox / edinburgh speech tools / lexicons / voices (which would be as tedious as the list implies). Or... how to use said compilers... or... blahrgldorf.

Does anyone here have enough familiarity with Linux to offer me some sort of tips? yikes

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-06-06 13:47:52 (edited by CAE_Jones 2011-06-06 15:15:18)

yikes

So, the username on my computer (windows Vista) is two words with a space in between.
After a fairly tedious dance with trying to compile things in Cygwin, I get errors that strongly imply that the space is a problem. This is consistent with things I've encountered somewhere else (I forget the context and so forth).

I've tried making a new directory in cygwin/home that removes the spaces... doesn't work.

I try looking for a discussion forum or list or something specifically for issues related to festival. And I find one. And... ... it has a capcha.

Gonna go take out my frustration on dead treebranches, now.

[edit] Finally discovered TTS Builder, which supposedly uses the festival system, but without all the head-explosion. Catch being that... the download links are all dead. -_-
Anyway to do this that doesn't require either thousands of dollars or a PHD in Linux?[/edit]

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-06-09 11:39:34

where I find TTS bilder?

This is not a signature.

2011-06-10 09:31:57

That is not easy, I'm afraid.

If you google tts builder, you'll find many download sites.
The problem is that most of them link to research-labs, which seems to have either changed hands, or is acting like tts builder never existed.
I found one mirror of an older version, but it's watered down so much that it only lets you use their built in voice to speak things. In other words, it's pointless.

Considering that the company behind it seems to have ceased to support it (if indeed they still exist at all), I looked at what was claiming to be a cracked version, which turned out to be a trojan.

So, basically, you can't get it anymore, unless some random person has it somewhere obscure.

I gave up on the experts and decided to just make my own custom tts program. Using BGT, since that's where I'd be most likely to use it. Clearly it's not going to be very good, but eh.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-06-10 11:00:02

hi,
I talk to this on klango. hope someone have this.

This is not a signature.

2011-06-20 23:37:03 (edited by Skin_graft 2011-06-20 23:41:11)

What about ModelTalker? It's annoying and pretty gargly even for human sampled voices, but if all you want to do is make a voice, it should work.

PS:
I agree Festival's method of making voices is somewhere around NASA level coding... big_smile
Edit: Also, what about using the Cached link for that one forum you found about Festival, assuming you used Google to find it? Not all results have this but it's saved me a few times so I don't have to make dummie accounts to access information.

SG

2011-06-21 02:09:23

I've actually looked into model talker, and even bought a $40 USB microphone to try it out, except the microphone I got silenced everything on the computer when I plugged it in, so I couldn't tell if it was freezing things, messing with the sound card, or what...
And it seems that for now they'll only allow you to make one voice.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-06-23 13:58:02

Skin_graft wrote:

What about ModelTalker? It's annoying and pretty gargly even for human sampled voices, but if all you want to do is make a voice, it should work.

PS:
I agree Festival's method of making voices is somewhere around NASA level coding... big_smile
Edit: Also, what about using the Cached link for that one forum you found about Festival, assuming you used Google to find it? Not all results have this but it's saved me a few times so I don't have to make dummie accounts to access information.

SG

Here is the problem though. It's not accessible!

2011-06-23 14:06:52

what about microsoft SDK? it is good and accessable I think. But it is a bit complicated.

This is not a signature.