2020-09-26 05:10:38 (edited by stewie 2023-05-24 20:54:30)

Beta 0.5.0 is now released. This is the last major UI patch before the 1.0 release, which should be coming within the next few weeks depending on how long final localization takes.

This mod provides screen reader accessibility to the game Slay the Spire. Note that this mod is currently in early public beta so not all features are fully implemented. New and returning users should make sure to read the documentation found at the link below.

Steam URL for the game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/6465 … the_Spire/

Documentation and Installation: https://bradjrenshaw.github.io/say-the-spire

GitHub Readme and Repository: https://github.com/bradjrenshaw/say-the-spire/

Change Log: https://bradjrenshaw.github.io/say-the- … anges.html

The mod currently provides:

• Keyboard support which emulates controller inputs.

• The game outputs text to screen readers. NVDA, JAWS, Window-Eyes, Supernova, System Access, and Zoom Text are supported, with SAPI or text being copied to clipboard as a fallback.

• In game UI is read out including map information

• A convenient buffer system (mapped to the right stick and control plus arrow keys by default) to provide easy access to all relevant information for currently visible game elements.

• Narration of in battle events, such as cards drawn, buffs/debuffs applied, etc.

• A configuration file to customize the mod to your liking.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2020-09-26 05:55:24

This is very interesting! I have seen varios streams in twitch with this mod, so let's give it a try. Finally a new way to play the game. I'm very grateful with text the spire, but play with say the spire will be very nice to play with sighted friends

Sorry for my english

2020-09-26 06:23:56

I've been beta testing this for a while.  It's eaten most of my free time for a bit now.  The game's learning curve is intense, but the mod's isn't.  Copy files into place and start it and you're done.  You'll be losing repeatedly, but that's because that's the slay the spire experience, not because accessibility (I think it took 50+ runs for my first win. Others do it faster and consistently. I do not yet know how they pull that off...).

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2020-09-26 06:25:30

Nifty, been looking forward to this after watching some of Brandon's streams of it.

I'm a bit confused after reading the README, though. I only recently started using Steam. Does using Steam Workshop obviate the need for the other startup/installation methods, or do I need to do one or more of those too? I have no clue what Steam Workshop is, though I can certainly make assumptions. I'm happy to get this on Steam and do some Steam-related magic if it makes launching this easier, but I don't know which if any of the startup methods I'd be interested in for that.

Thanks for doing this work.

2020-09-26 06:26:15

Awesome, will give this a try. Shame we lose out on the leaderboards because we need these.

2020-09-26 06:31:07 (edited by stewie 2020-09-26 06:32:56)

@nolan steam workshop allows you to upload user content for a game (mods, guides, videos, etc) and I think it lets you upload your own games too somehow which can have their own pages. If you install the game then go to the steam workshop link in the first post and click subscribe, steam should automatically download the mod. Launching it is another matter (I forgot to provide a link for the easier cmd file, to use as a shortcut). I'll update the readme to make that clearer. For now if you follow the second step for getting the game to run it should work.

@blindndangerous I'm planning on implementing the ability to read the leaderboards. I can't do anything about the game preventing your runs from being posted to them though unfortunately.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2020-09-26 07:06:14

Oh I know, it's just a slight annoyance I have.  I just like to see how I stack up against others. smile

2020-09-26 07:31:27

wow  @stewie
Today 05:10:38 (edited by stewie nothing to say

Thanks for your work, for this awesome game that currentli taken a lot of ours from me. is adictive. xD.

thanks!

2020-09-26 07:43:37 (edited by stewie 2020-09-26 07:46:17)

Sorry for the confusion with the readme, I have updated it it and the installation and setup steps should be more clear. I was also wrong about the itch.io version of the game; I thought someone I know was playing the game with it but it turns out it was the steam version and there is no itch.io version (I think there may have been one in the past and it was removed). The only supported version of the game as of now is the Steam version. If the mod does work on other platforms, such as the version of the game on game pass, please let me know.

2020-09-26 09:24:58

I've been beta testing this for a while as well and I have to say, it's great.  Just a shame that currently, the game's audio won't redirect to my stream correctly after working previously. Oh well.  Just need to keep playing and trying to win a run.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.
***If you wish to refer to me in @replies, use Sightless***

2020-09-26 10:08:35

Wow. Sounds cool. I'll check it out in the near future.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2020-09-26 12:07:33

It will take some getting used to, but seams to be working fine.

Just one question though: How do you quit the game when using a controller? I can only get into the graphics and volume settings while playing.

2020-09-26 12:15:21

Just with RT and after that press Y.

So, no idea if this is bug or not but in the custom game I can play with the watcher. No idea if this is working fine or not but I haven't unlocker her yet.

Next thing is in the encyclopedia thing with the cards etc. I can see ALL OF THE STUFF even, if it is not unlocked (or well, almost everything)
I can see some 'locked' cards whehn I am selecting ironclad but for exampple I can browse the watcher cards even if my wife can see 'unknown' oon all of them lol

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2020-09-26 12:16:06

But still, this is great job Stevie! Now it plays like a miracle! This is what I waited for! Thank you so much! smile

Twitter
Add me on Steam

2020-09-26 13:09:09

Great! I will test it!

ice, fire, water, thunder.

2020-09-26 14:09:19

This is really awesome. Seriously.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2020-09-26 14:44:56

Waiting for keyboard support, sadly, i don't have a controller. sad

Hail, Daughter of Hatred. Creator of Sanctuary. Hail...Lilith.

2020-09-26 15:24:48

Thanks so much for the clarification. Looking forward to trying this out.

2020-09-26 17:58:56

Hi!
Left stick and arrows don't work.

2020-09-26 18:10:32

It works just fine without any problems.

Twitter
Add me on Steam

2020-09-26 18:27:43

Strange. Why my pad won't work good?

2020-09-26 18:48:27

What kind of controller are you using?

2020-09-26 19:06:56

EE, one from mediamarkt. I payed for this one only 40 pln, but it works with other games.

2020-09-26 19:27:21

heya, so looking forward playing this, any idea of the roadmap please, for keyboard support?

2020-09-26 19:39:22

@pates Do you know if that controller is using XInput or DirectInput? I know some people were having issues with ps4 style controllers, sadly that's a game issue and not a mod issue I can fix.

@wlomas my intension is to have it within the next week or two, but I can't put a deadline on it