2011-06-15 02:56:12

Hey guys, I've been busy most of the day, but now that I'm home I wanted to post another odd little idea I had while I was stuck at work.  Like the Temporal game idea, I have no idea if this would be fun or just a waste of 15 minutes of your life that you can never get back.  Haha, I guess I'm just warning you ahead of time.

Dog who Hates Toast, is a little memory, and word association game.  You are helping a crazy guy, me of course, organize his house.  As Aprone tells you where to put items, he slowly goes more and more insane.  Each time you complete a task, a common word is forever swapped out for some random word in Aprone's vocabulary.  You'll be informed of the new word swap, but you must remember them as they start to build up.  In your mind, you must work on associating his new words with the old ones, so that you can still understand him well enough to complete the next task.  It really doesn't take long before Aprone is rambling off gibberish to you, and expecting you to understand him.  While testing, I have managed to get about a dozen tasks complete, but I honestly have no idea how far someone can go.  I am posting this, just to see people's reactions, but also I'm wanting to know how far people can get.

www.kaldobsky.com/audiogames/dogwhohatestoast.zip

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2011-06-15 03:27:59

Wow, you continue to amaze me at the rate you program games. lol Trying this now. Sounds cool.

"I've learned that this life's not just a game, just a line, between the pleasures and the pain." - Aaron Lewis

2011-06-15 03:53:25

Holy cow, bloodbath on Klango just said he completed 22 tasks!  I never got near that while testing, and I wish he had posted an example sentence, it would have been hilarious.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-06-15 04:23:51

I got 16 tasks completed before I started going crazy. That game really had me thinking, lol. Can't wait to see what it's like if you keep working on it.

"I've learned that this life's not just a game, just a line, between the pleasures and the pain." - Aaron Lewis

2011-06-15 04:34:25

Sheesh, everyone seems to be doing better than me, how is that even possible?!  Haha, I feel stupid since I'm the guy who made it.  After work tonight, assuming I don't get some new idea stuck in my head, I am determined to play again and do better.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-06-15 04:58:16

Hi. I just played it and managed to get 13 tasks done but it got messed up on 14. I got part of the task done but not all of it and does this game have an end or is it infinite? Good game though congratulations.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2011-06-15 06:50:12

Hi.
Wow, this is defenently a fun and challenging game. I got up to 15 tasks, and then was very confused. It said something like get the smack from the flop and put it in the closet in the spair room

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2011-06-15 07:02:52

I got 25 tasks then it got messed up it said get the computer from the stinky room and something else to where I couldn't understand it.

2011-06-15 08:00:06

hi,
I got 23 tasks in 5 minuts. I think this game is very good and chalanging, but I am not think this is chalange for me.

This is not a signature.

2011-06-15 08:08:40

I think this game is neat as a time-passer, most definitely. I wish I could use Jaws with it though, as Sapi tends to pronounce things strangely. I got twenty-nine tasks before it glitched on me...asked me to get a pillow - which was ironically still a pillow - and put it on a plastic toy in the tree-trunk room, and I couldn't put it on -anything to make it succeed, so I gave up.

Incidentally, if you take your time and either write stuff down or just have a good memory for association, this game is far too forgiving. I had trouble only because I'm pretty sure my game glitched, but otherwise I think I could do that pretty much infinitely. A suggestion in order to make it a good deal harder: since you never have two-phase tasks, why not set it up so that as soon as you place the required item anywhere, the task ends, whether you succeeded or failed? So if it asks you to get the socks from the bedroom and put them in the laundry room, and you put them in the living room by mistake...game over. That would be a logical next step. I also like how after something like ten or eleven tasks completed, the game starts replacing two words at a time instead of one. I noticed that my game loved replacing the words I didn't care about though, ones which didn't mess up placement or item recognition. The word "time", for me, changed from peanut to boxtop to cleaner, I believe, before my game ended, but I can cheerfully ignore it. Perhaps that was your intention though.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2011-06-15 09:01:12

Interesting idea. I haven't tried the game yet, but I think it's very difficult for people who aren't very good at english. Well, I'll give it a try.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2011-06-15 09:24:31

If any of you guys find a situation where you believe the game messes up, please save the game and send me the file.  With a game like this, it is literally impossible for me to find bugs unless I have your actual saved game.

Because it's currently random, I don't have any way to stop it from continually replacing the same unimportant word over and over.  I can change that pretty easily though, so that it will tend to go toward unused words.  I think I'll make it more challenging by using your idea Jayde, or at least one inspired by it.  Placing the task item in the wrong spot could cause a swap as a punishment for obviously trying to guess and check to get the right answer.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-06-15 09:44:22

Hi aprone,
That's the spirit of a really dedicated developer, a couple of ideas and projects still going around, and new one's coming up as well!

And I really wonder what makes you implement your ideas into games in just a bit of time?

Well, when I played for the first time, I successfully completed around 31 tasks before going crazy, and mind it, it was  in very first go!

I like the kind of games you have developed around so far, mainly dealing with logical strategies.

And this one requires more of that!

The better your vocabulary in english, more easier it would be to memorize words and solve the game.

ok that's all for now, no offence?

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2011-06-15 10:05:14

Thanks Sid.  smile
I'll keep doing my part to keep the community entertained!

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-06-15 10:37:45

I got to 51. I managed to complete "the pad laptop I need flower to toilet cleaner, where stinky the socks from the carpet, monkey quiet chocolate on the white again the grass computer", then gave up on the next one.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-06-15 11:22:49

Hello,
First of all, Approne, congratulations for such a great game
This could be my bad but I got the picture frame request for the 2nd time, and I can't seem to find it in the family room. As far as I know it is not swapped with new words yet.
Here's a save: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2870116/bug

Cheers,
Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2011-06-15 13:44:50

This game is really funny! Thanks for your good games! Thanks again!

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2011-06-15 16:45:00

Robjoy, it's on the dresser, the "Y" key
Thanks Burak.  smile

CAE_Jones, that's amazing!  While at work last night, I was thinking of making 50 the end of the game, and putting in a victory scene at the end to reward anyone who makes it.  The version everyone is using right now, has no end, because I didn't know if people would be getting to 10 tasks and giving up, or 100 and giving up.  Now I feel like I have a pretty good idea of what people are able to do, so I'll add an end to the game.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-06-15 17:19:54

Hi Aprone.

Glad to here there will be an end, however I'm afraid I have some bugs to report.

I got to 32, but the 33rd asked to pick up the lego ships from the computer room and put them on the desk in the computer room, and thus was impossible to finish, because even when I put the ships where they were supposed to be the task couldn't be completed.

Also, one thing that made the game considderably easier is that if the word substitution picked the same word twice, only the first would be used and thus you essentially got a free ride.

For instance, early on I got the word you substituted for carpit. Then later, I got the word you substituted for buttered bred, but you was stil carpit.

You might also considder making some limitations to the game to make things more challenging, perhaps as optional extra modes.

firstly, give the player only three chances per task to complete it correctly before insane Aprone gets irritated and kicks them out of the house. you could of course make things timed, but to me that seems less fair to the player and less in spirit of the hole game, and would make things much too rushed imho.

Another thing you might considder, is testing the players' memory by having only the object mentioned, not the room it comes from, eg "get the folded shirt and put it in the laundry room" which would mean the player also needs to remember where he/she put the object, as well as work out the employers' insantiy in word substitution.

It's really quite interesting that such a simple idea for a game is such fun to play.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-06-15 17:35:33

I don't know if number of tries (I guess exchanges of items?) is a good limitation. Maybe a number of moves in general? There were a couple times where I got confused and just searched several places. (Particularly in rooms with many places to keep things). Hmm.

Even if getting kicked out isn't necessarily likely, keeping track of how many moves it takes to complete a task might be worthwhile, as some sort of scoreboard type thing if nothing else. Conceivably, one could use process of elimination and go on indefinitely, but spend dozens of moves on a single task.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2011-06-15 17:42:26

Maybe make it an option of whether or not you want to have like three strikes and your out type of thing... You could play without a limited number of tries, and you can also play with a number of tries. This will satisfy everyone, lol. I think there should be some sort of consiquence for messing up too many times as well. Good suggestions, Dark.

2011-06-15 18:12:01

I was thinking of this primarily as an optional thing, sinse obviously some people find the game more difficult than others.

I'm less sure of moves cae, sinse quite often I've found I had to check several places just to know where a certain object was even in it's default state, and if you were penalizing moves, that would effectively start the player at a disadvantage at the beginning of the game.

That's why I suggested wrong item switches, sinse this stil leaves you the freedom to look around and learn where items are, but penalizes you for actually getting the task wrong if you forget which item is which, also it encourages you to think carefully and not just guess what a substituted word item is.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-06-15 18:15:44

Good suggestions indeed.  Version 0.3b is posted, and it changes things a bit internally.  While improving the quality of the random word switching, I found a small bug that was actually the reason it sometimes swapped out words that had already been swapped out.  I'm happy to say, it seems to work much better now!

When you reach 10 tasks, it starts swapping 2 words, which is not news to many of you.  However, I have also made it so that sometimes, after this point, it won't tell you the exact room to find your item in.  For instance, it might tell you to get the alarm clock, and leave off the hint that it is in the bedroom.  When you hit 30 tasks, the game will begin changing 3 words each time!  I'm also pleased to inform everyone, that the game can now be won if you manage to complete 50 tasks for the crazy guy.  You'll be treated with a short story letting you know how things worked out.  I've also squashed the different bugs people have brought to my attention.

I would recommend starting over once you download the new 0.3b version.  It will probably work fine with old saved games, but I can't guarantee it, and it's probably better to be safe than sorry.  While using this new version, you will have your last task saved into a file called lasttask.txt, in the game's directory.  For people who want to share crazy sentences, this seemed like a convenient way to get the message out of the game.  I know screen readers can save what they read into a text log, but I didn't want people to have to go through the extra steps if they didn't want to.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2011-06-15 18:22:03

Cool, I like the last task idea sinse I've had some really fun ones uptonow.

In terms of saved games though, sinse the hole thing is something of a self referential system that it's best to go through completely I can't see myself ever wanting to restart from a saved game anyway.

I'll be interested to see how far I get this time.

2011-06-15 18:44:06

By like task number 11, the word the had been replaced by goves, making some really interesting things to do like,
next top zipper time, smelly gloves spring next from gloves Spare room, then put it clock gloves counter, in gloves before.
That was number like 26. I also found a bug. If you load a game, but do not pess escape after loading it, then press enter, it brings you to a load game dialog again. Entering the same game into the edit box brings up a run time error 9. Just fyi

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!