2020-08-13 18:01:02

@25 i have never seen that central servers caused any kind of prob on sbyw. Indead, they made it  better. Store prices where cheaper and that not only for payd ones, lag, and more. Also i am working at fixing my stuff, it will soon be up again.

Lamas with hats, but with sponge bob as carl Stay tuned.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvAUQt … subscriber

2020-08-13 18:20:33

Why?
This was the first thing coming to mind when I saw the title. Seriously. Just why! Haven't we seen enough builders already? They were a cool concept at first, but now it's just tiring to see the same thing over and over. All of the concepts in SBYW have been rung dry. Can we just learn to move on, please?
Before somebody rips at me that Ivan is making a 3d version of this game, yeh no. I've seen it with 3dYW. It's still the old game in a nutshell. Seriously, move on folks.

2020-08-13 18:23:10

Hey! but I like 2d games.
allso, when the server will be up?

meow meow.

2020-08-13 18:53:12 (edited by CritterPup 2020-08-13 19:20:26)

That's your opinion Amerikranian.
One could argue that incremental games have run their course. Or space MUDS. Or FPS games. But they keep coming and they keep having a player base. It is not your place to tell the people who are still interested, like myself and many other people, to move on.
For the record, I believe SBYW was the first and only of it's kind. It's now been up for 3 years. It's longevity speaks to it's quality. I can count the games on one hand that have stayed up that long.

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.

2020-08-13 19:11:06

Hi.
I agree completely with spidermaniac.
This game is awesome, and me and my friend are loving it.
We are building maps that will receive english translations in the near future. Those include a full 160 map world.

Cloud Gaming makes me part of this new generation.

2020-08-13 19:16:58

but unofficial servers are no more on latest version.

meow meow.

2020-08-13 19:38:26

@spiderManiac, your point would be valid except for one thing:
Why don't space muds die out? Because people are keep coming with new concepts to make them unique.
Why don't idle games die out? Because people are keep coming up with new concepts to make them unique.
Why don't first person shooters die out? Yup, you guessed it: Because people keep coming up with new ideas to make them unique.
See the trend? No? You are probably going "But SBYW maps are unique because of their content" or "SBYW maps come up with different ways of using the same mechanics". Let me ask you this: If I rebrand A Hero's Call, give it different sounds, that is, and then release it keeping the gameplay exactly the same, is it a new game? Is it unique?
It is precisely do to the length of its existence that SBYW has ran out of steam. There is not a single map you could make that I, or any long-time player, would view as unique. You can change the zones, you can make different puzzles, but in the end it all boils down to flavor text on top of the same mechanics. Don't even get me started on audiogame history in terms of online games and FPSs. Just, don't.

2020-08-13 19:44:11

My point remains valid. Because people do keep coming back to SBYW. And it's unique in it's individuality. Sure, a 3D version exists, but SBYW did it first, we still have a strong playerbase, and people keep coming back.
You're welcome to your opinion. But the fact of the matter is, you're judging a game because you're not interested in it. And, by extent, the people playing it. This strikes me as wrong. People still play it. People still love it. People showed real excitement with it's return. Just because you are not one of those people does not make the game bad.
Also, please point me to an FPS with unique concepts introduced in recent years, starting from ⠮ beginning of 2019. I'll wait.

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.

2020-08-13 19:48:37

Short follow-up post, because I forgot one more thing.
The fact people are still suggesting features to this game disproves your point that the game is running out of steam. Though sometimes, our online player count isn't high, it's consistent. People want more. People are expecting more. And under it's new developers, people are getting more.

2020-08-13 20:05:15

@27 That's just narrow minded foolery. Besides which, what business is it of yours to tell people what they ought to be playing and what they ought to be making.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-08-13 20:09:59

Glad to see new life being breathed back into this game. Also really cool to see so many people playing it, even though I no longer develop or host it.

I've been going by Bryn, which is now reflected in my profile. Please do your best to respect this :) Mess ups are totally OK though, I don't mind and totally understand!
Follow on twitter! @ItsBrynify
Thanks, enjoy, thumbs up, share, like, hate, exist, do what ya do,
my website: brynify.me

2020-08-13 20:38:57

Just chiming in here as well to disprove another one of amerikranian's implications; the idea that SBYW maps are not unique. I have personally seen a large number of differences spanning a large number of maps. People like the game and are inspired to get creative, which often results in unique concepts being brought to the table more or less every day. Typically, these maps take advantage of the mechanics already in place, but utilize them in a non-conventional manner. Thus, we end up with interesting challenges and objectives that you wouldn't initially think possible with a simple map builder. The game does not require constant additions to its feature set for it to be fun, and relies heavily on player input to expand and grow. I personally find this concept more appealing than a game where the developer(s) hardcode every mechanic and objective, leaving little to no opportunity for the players to forge their own direction.

You're free to hold your own opinion and turn your attention to games that conform more to your interests and beliefs, but I don't understand why you're attempting to dissuade others from playing the game if they find it enjoyable. Its continued uptime and significant number of regular players clearly demonstrates that this isn't just another boring online game based off of a BGT template project.

Dreaming of a dystopian future.

2020-08-13 20:51:58

Agreed. Another thing I don't think has been said yet. With most muds, you're working within a somewhat limited framework, but generally muds by their very nature have lots of different gameplay stiles and different areas that can be explored and or discovered. With a game like SBYW, or even an FPS game, the focus will always be a lot more linear. You never really have an objective, say for kill kill kill in the case of FPS titles. With both types of games, all the developers can really do is add features and make changes to make the existing gameplay more interesting whilst still working within the limits of that framework.

2020-08-13 21:27:15 (edited by amerikranian 2020-08-13 21:51:08)

Few. A lot to respond here. I'll go down the list.
@33 and 34.
"My point remains valid. Because people do keep coming back to SBYW. And it's unique in it's individuality. Sure, a 3D version exists, but SBYW did it first, we still have a strong playerbase, and people keep coming back."
You are valid to an extent. What you may overlook is the fact that this game has been brought down and up multiple times. What is there to say that Ivan won't do so again in the near future? Nothing.
"You're welcome to your opinion. But the fact of the matter is, you're judging a game because you're not interested in it. And, by extent, the people playing it. This strikes me as wrong. People still play it. People still love it. People showed real excitement with it's return. Just because you are not one of those people does not make the game bad."
Here is the misconception: I don't judge the game. I simply ask why. I want to know Ivan's reasons for bringing it back up rather than come up with some other, more interesting, or even less seen, concept. I point out the fact that we have seen a lot of these builders already, a lot. Is SBYW the most stable? Yes. Does it change the fact that we are just rehashing the same concepts over and over? No.
"Also, please point me to an FPS with unique concepts introduced in recent years, starting from ⠮ beginning of 2019. I'll wait."
I was speaking in more generalized, mainstream terms. If you wish me to explain exactly why people tolerate same concepts in this community I am glad to do so, just ask.
"Short follow-up post, because I forgot one more thing.
The fact people are still suggesting features to this game disproves your point that the game is running out of steam. Though sometimes, our online player count isn't high, it's consistent. People want more. People are expecting more. And under it's new developers, people are getting more."
I acknowledge what you are saying, but that doesn't really disprove my point. What I said is that we are just rehashing the old concepts without adding anything to make them different. I never said people are not interested in this game.
@35.
You seem to have a misconception along the same lines as the previous poster, that is, me telling people what they should and should not play. I do no such thing. I nearly ask for some explanation from Ivan as to why he decided to revive the game. Is it narrow-minded to express facts? Is it foolish to inquire as to the desire of releasing new version of a product which state has been officially abandoned for quite a large chunk of time?
@Dgleks, again, I sort of agree with your point. However, I think you are missing the point of my post -- to place an inquiry as to the purpose of digging up this project from its proverbial grave.
@haily_merry, I am not too sure what was the point of your post. My gripe lies not with the linear focus, rather with the revival of a project considered to be long dead.

2020-08-13 21:36:31

You keep saying that SBYW is one of MANY builders. Besides the 3D version and Env Suite, which I'd forgotten about, can you name any others? I don't count 2Dp here as this game is that one improved.

2020-08-13 21:38:44

Oh, I was just adding to what others had already said. You mentioned muds getting constant updates with new features and content and FPS's / building games not so much, I gave what I think is a plausible explanation why.

2020-08-13 21:41:53

I believe he's referring to hamad's 3DYW, which is surprisingly still going strong all things considered.

2020-08-13 21:55:35

Post 42 would be correct. In addition, the void, the killer,  and then 2DP. Yes, I realize that you said for me not to mention it, but why not? It is in the same genre. They are two different games if you want to be technical here.  There’s also one game which didn’t really get anywhere, the name escapes me for a moment, created by the user whose name starts with Paul, I can’t remember his full name either.
I do believe we have strayed from my original question, though.

2020-08-13 22:13:11

@43  virtual world? I think that was the thing’s name

2020-08-13 22:32:39

Well, from logging in, and such going through a door on main to a blockage pile and being told a server is down I have no idea how to switch maps.
I decided to order a payed account as I usually do, with these to get the extras, and well bang, I get the code, type /activate and the code but it doesn't work, now my char didn't exist when I ordered that code but it does now.
No indication it even worked.
I don't know how to switch maps.
Oh well I guess thats another 7 bucks gone, time to delete this I guess.

2020-08-13 22:32:44

Since when can you build on TK? From my understanding, that's an FPS.

2020-08-13 22:55:59

I sort of do agree with #39, We need more content. Sure the mecanics right now are sort of flexable, new puzzls and all that but we need more features. more interesting things. we've seen platforms and srcs and doors and stairs and walls and etcetera, we need more things to add to our maps.

You see a signature that is 800 characters and 8 lines long. You quickly report it to the administrators

2020-08-13 23:13:09 (edited by moaddye 2020-08-13 23:16:30)

Is that a problem I see? Mate, this just happened today and now the server is down without any warning. today. On it's first day. I am not saying invinsible server but it is the first day and this just made a bad impression on me.
edit:fixed.

You see a signature that is 800 characters and 8 lines long. You quickly report it to the administrators

2020-08-13 23:17:29

@spiderManiac, indeed. You could build on TK, even if it was just an FPS. I don't know why it was implemented, but never the less.
Again, I agree with your points for the large part, my question overall is just why was this revived with the same features we already have seen? it does not contribute to anything (See custom servers), so what is the point?

2020-08-13 23:22:45

well I doodled with the game.
I am impressed finally after figuring how to get things to play right.
I can not activate my payed status though.
I remember activating this once, but my account went with the old server and well, hmmm.
If you can keep it stable this actually would be good game.